PDA

View Full Version : Will Milton ever be tradable?

GOREDSGO32
05-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Will he ever get to the point this year before the trade deadline when he is tradable and another team will pickup the rest of his salary this year and his option for next? I think he will have to get that ERA around 4 to do that. Teams in the playoff race will make some pretty average pitchers a hot commodity, but a bad pitcher still isn't going to move up the ranks as being tradable do you think?

Red Leader
05-26-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't think Milton is going anywhere. He looked like he was healthy at the beginning of the year and I had hope that they performed some miracle on his knee to make him a somewhat effective starter, but that didn't last long.

Unless he rubs a genie lamp and someone gives him a brand new knee, he's going to be property of the Cincinnati Reds until they can DFA him (possibly next year :dunno:) and afford the sunk cost.

KronoRed
05-26-2006, 04:22 PM
If the Reds offer to pay his entire deal, sure.

Unassisted
05-26-2006, 04:24 PM
The paradox here is that if his numbers were good enough to make him tradable, the Reds wouldn't have an interest in trading him.

TeamBoone
05-26-2006, 04:25 PM
I think it's too early to answer that question, to even speculate.

He pitched decent in ST and in April, until the knee thing. Now that the knees cleaned up, maybe he'll pitch half-way decent again... after getting his rehab at the major league level out of the way.

Or maybe he won't. But for sure, we have to wait and see.

jimbo
05-26-2006, 05:10 PM
With his current contract, I would highly doubt he could ever become very tradeable, unless the Reds offer to pay the majority of his salary. What concerns me is that even if the Reds could trade him, what other option in the organization would be an improvement?

GOREDSGO32
05-26-2006, 09:41 PM
With today's game, that moved him in a very good position to be tradable. His ERA is down to 5.51 ... a couple more games like this will get him in a very tradeable situation. The question is though, if he becomes a quality starter, do we keep him or trade him? I think we have to trade if we can ... we need youth, we need future stars, and we need salary.

REDSEER
05-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Maybe with a few more starts like tonight he will, but by then, we might want to keep him.....

wouldn't we???

GOREDSGO32
05-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Well, maybe, I'm just saying how long before the inevitable that he implodes or gets injured? Guys who break MLB records for HR's and ERA usually don't suddenly turn into #1 dominant starters. Drop it while its hot.

jimbo
05-26-2006, 09:53 PM
With today's game, that moved him in a very good position to be tradable. His ERA is down to 5.51 ... a couple more games like this will get him in a very tradeable situation. The question is though, if he becomes a quality starter, do we keep him or trade him? I think we have to trade if we can ... we need youth, we need future stars, and we need salary.

I gotta disagree. A couple more games like this I think we have to keep him. This team is capable of winning now and a lefty who can pitch like Milton did tonight consistantly is hard to find. The question is, can he be consistant?

GOREDSGO32
05-26-2006, 09:58 PM
You assume he will stay like that, he isn't going to. Trade him while he's hot. As much as you wanna believe this is the year, the future is the key. You don't stunt a chance to get rid of a salary drain just because has a few good couple games. Do you really want to wait till August when he gets hurt or implodes, the Reds fall out of the playoff chase, and you are saying 'oh man I knew we should have traded him when we had the chance!'. LaRue and/or Valentine should have been traded the same was at the end of last year, now they are batting in the .220's.

jimbo
05-26-2006, 10:08 PM
You assume he will stay like that, he isn't going to.

Why do you so easily assume that? You say that guys who break MLB records for home runs given up and ERA don't suddenly turn into #1 starters, well I can turn that around. You can also say guys like Milton who has shown in the past he can pitch, don't suddenly forget how to. There seems to be a legitimate reason as to he decline last season and he did pitch well in his first two starts before the inury popped up. The injury is taken care of and he pitched tonight like he did his first two starts. Unless the injury returns there is no reason to think he can't continue it.

I'm not about to say he will be a #1 starter, but he is fully capable of being a quality #3.

GOREDSGO32
05-26-2006, 10:14 PM
He played for the Twins, and still was a MLB leader in HR's. Now he plays in a very HR friendly park, and last year broke records.

This is the Reds we don't pay 10 mil or so for a #3 starter. Why the sudden Milton support? We don't need an aging starter that was absolutely terrible draining the teams salary.

terminator
05-26-2006, 10:35 PM
That's the problem. History tells us that even if he regains form he is a 4.00 to 4.50 ERA guy. That was the problem with the deal in the first place -- he was being overpaid even if he pitched as expected.

Perceived value aside, it will be nearly impossible to trade him without eating salary because he was overpaid to begin with.

So . . . we better hope he turns it around and we see more of what we saw tonight so that we realize some return on him.

KronoRed
05-27-2006, 12:00 AM
The question is, can he be consistant?
History says no chance.

He had some great games last year.

harangatang
05-27-2006, 12:28 AM
History says no chance.

He had some great games last year.He's had 3 good games this year and 2 bad games. But the good thing about the bad starts are that they were the games before and after the DL stint. Maybe just maybe, he can be at least a league average starter this year.

NastyBoy
05-27-2006, 03:23 AM
It is really hard to win any games when the offense scores ZERO runs.

Ltlabner
05-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Based on his lifetime stats I doubt he can do what he did last night regularly (all though his first two starts and last night he was pretty dominating). If he could keep an ERA in the 4's, keep us in games and make it into the 7th inning regularly (to rest the bullpen) then it MIGHT make sense to keep him around and try to get some return on his contract.

Assuming he turns it around (which is a HUGE assumption) you still will have a hard time getting another team to take his contract so the Reds may well end up paying his sallary anyway. If this is the case, and he turns it around, why not get something out of him in our rotation instead of paying him to do it on another team?

My guess is the Reds will continue to be stuck with him so hopefully he can continue to put up decent numbers and keep us in games. Would I like a younger, more consistant starter in whom we can have confidence? Of course. Can we trade Milton and get anybody who fits this bill that can start right away (not just prospects)? I doubt it.

M2
05-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I gotta disagree. A couple more games like this I think we have to keep him. This team is capable of winning now and a lefty who can pitch like Milton did tonight consistantly is hard to find. The question is, can he be consistant?

Milton's answered that question. He can be consistent, but not consistently good.

alexad
05-27-2006, 01:49 PM
It is really hard to win any games when the offense scores ZERO runs.

Amen brother!!!!

jimbo
05-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Milton's answered that question. He can be consistent, but not consistently good.

He's never going to be a #1, and he's never going to be good enough to justify his current salary. He has though had seasons where he was consistant enough to put up an ERA in the 4.00-4.50 range with 12-15 wins......which I would take.

redsupport
05-27-2006, 02:08 PM
It was a shame to waste his super performance last night

M2
05-27-2006, 02:42 PM
He's never going to be a #1, and he's never going to be good enough to justify his current salary. He has though had seasons where he was consistant enough to put up an ERA in the 4.00-4.50 range with 12-15 wins......which I would take.

He's been below 4.50 twice in seven full seasons (4.49 in 1999 and 4.32 in 2001) and thanks to a degenerative knee condition that will never improve he's no longer even that good. You're talking about a heyday he barely ever had and it's one he can't reclaim.

RedFanAlways1966
05-27-2006, 02:56 PM
If we take out the start before the surgery (hurt?) and the 1st start back from the surgery (32 days off)...

* 3GS, 21.2 IP, 15H, 5ER, 17K, 2BB, 2HRA.
>> 2.08 ERA, 0.78 WHIP.
>> 3 QS, 7.22 IP/GS.

jimbo
05-27-2006, 03:04 PM
He's been below 4.50 twice in seven full seasons (4.49 in 1999 and 4.32 in 2001) and thanks to a degenerative knee condition that will never improve he's no longer even that good. You're talking about a heyday he barely ever had and it's one he can't reclaim.

I guess we'll know for sure soon enough.

GOREDSGO32
05-27-2006, 03:27 PM
I think the Reds could make a deal not eating a lot of salary, he's in the 2nd year of a 3 year deal, if he gets decent and a playoff club wants to make a deal for an average pitcher, which are hot commodities for some reason come trade deadline - we should deal him. He may be overpaid, but for teams like the Yankees (who were in the chase to get him when he was a free agent), his salary is still chump change.

harangatang
05-27-2006, 04:09 PM
I think the Reds could make a deal not eating a lot of salary, he's in the 2nd year of a 3 year deal, if he gets decent and a playoff club wants to make a deal for an average pitcher, which are hot commodities for some reason come trade deadline - we should deal him. He may be overpaid, but for teams like the Yankees (who were in the chase to get him when he was a free agent), his salary is still chump change.Remember in 2003 when trading for Jeff Suppan was the holy grail at the trade deadline? Coming into 2003 Suppan had a career ERA 5.03 and had a career record of 49-64. He strung together a nice season at Pittsburgh and by the trade deadline he was 10-7 with a 3.57 ERA and Boston traded for him. Coming into 2006 Milton had a career ERA of 4.99 and a career record of 79-72. Suppan was in a one year contract at the time and Milton still has 2 years left so the probability of something happening this year over next year is pretty slim. The point I am making is if Milton has a good year next year and the Reds are willing to trade him someone would take him but probably not until that time. But if the Reds are good than they will probably need him.

KoryMac5
05-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I would trade him if he starts pitching well just based on the odds of he won't continue to stay healthy. That knee of his has bothered him on every stop he has made in his major league career. The percentages say to let him go if someone makes an adequate pitch for him. The Mets, Yankees, and Phillies will come calling soon enough.

M2
05-27-2006, 05:57 PM
I guess we'll know for sure soon enough.

We already know ... unless of of course that's someone else in an Eric Milton suit.

At this point, claiming not to know what kind of pitcher Eric Milton is qualifies as pure know-nothingism.

Falls City Beer
05-27-2006, 07:15 PM
If Krivsky gets another team to take on Milton's salary, Wayne'll be known as The Man Who Sold the Turd.

cinredsfan2000
05-27-2006, 09:29 PM
What exactly was his knee surgery supposed to do? I thought that it would clear up his knee problem?

M2
05-27-2006, 09:48 PM
What exactly was his knee surgery supposed to do? I thought that it would clear up his knee problem?

It was to alleviate a secondary problem. There's no fixing the main problem.

jimbo
05-27-2006, 11:20 PM
At this point, claiming not to know what kind of pitcher Eric Milton is qualifies as pure know-nothingism.

Ok, yeah.....that's it.

oregonred
05-28-2006, 01:25 AM
On the bright side, his contract is half over in another month.

Speaking of bad luck contracts, also hard to believe but KGJ is now 6.5 years into his deal.

Both contracts become much more movable by the week.

oregonred
05-28-2006, 01:28 AM
If Krivsky gets another team to take on Milton's salary, Wayne'll be known as The Man Who Sold the Turd.:laugh: :laugh:

TeamBoone
05-28-2006, 10:10 AM
I think his most recent surgery was to clean out bone fragments.

Stewie
05-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I think if the Mets are still floating around the top of the NL East in July, and Milton puts together some serviceable outings over the next month (or at least doesn't get hurt), then a trade can be made there. Milton's left-handedness as well as his veteran-ness are more than enough to wow the Mets.

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 04:30 PM
If Krivsky gets another team to take on Milton's salary, Wayne'll be known as The Man Who Sold the Turd.
Better then being The Man Who Bought The Turd

dabvu2498
06-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Bump...

I think this is relevant again. I think the market could be pretty heavy for Milton. If things don't improve markedly over the next 10 games or so, I think Milton could become serious trade bait in an effort to "restock" the farm system even further. I can envision 8-10 teams that are in contention who could view Milton as an upgrade over their current #4-5 pitchers.

boognish
06-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Milton was a poor choice as a FA signing given his proclivity to give up fly balls...especially homeruns, but I don't think he is nearly as bad as he showed last season. I don't know that a contender would shell out an MLB-ready starting pitching prospect for him, let alone enough to "re-stock" especially with his price tag...he is not far removed from giving up an astounding 237 hits last season.

That said, it is at least possible that some other team could be paying his salary next season--though I disagree that there will be much of a return in terms of talent. As others said, his knee is a huge key...can he pitch well consistently for a longer stretch than the 5 games (all good starts) since this thread initiated? We shall see.

oregonred
06-19-2006, 02:42 AM
Bump...

I think this is relevant again. I think the market could be pretty heavy for Milton. If things don't improve markedly over the next 10 games or so, I think Milton could become serious trade bait in an effort to "restock" the farm system even further. I can envision 8-10 teams that are in contention who could view Milton as an upgrade over their current #4-5 pitchers.

Agree, let's hope beyond hope he holds out with some more decent outings for another month. I'm not sure you'd get much that could help unless you cover some salary, but I could easily see someone taking on the last half of his contract.