PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Marlins acquire Cody Ross for PTBNL

flyer85
05-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Cody Ross was traded to the Marlins. Good thing he got to start on Wednesday.

Red Leader
05-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Who'd we get in return?

flyer85
05-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Who'd we get in return?Don't know although Ross joked it was some guy named Willis.

CTA513
05-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Cody Ross was traded to the Marlins. Good thing he got to start on Wednesday.

Im guessing he played so the Marlins could see what they were getting in him and to make sure he was healthy again.

It sounds like he should be getting some playing time with the Marlins according to Lancasters blog.

KronoRed
05-26-2006, 05:27 PM
The fish didn't want Q? ;)

Reds Fanatic
05-26-2006, 05:27 PM
This is from Marc's blog. So far they don't know who is coming from the Marlins but it will probably be a minor leaguer.

The Reds made room for Kent Mercker to come off the DL by trading Cody Ross to the Florida Marlins today. Not sure yet who Cincinnati got back.

"Some guy named Willis?" Ross joked.

Actually, it'll be a minor leaguer of some sort. Ross is bouncing off the walls with giddiness that he'll get to go somewhere and play. Though we barely got to know him around here, he's a great guy and we at the blog wish him well.

ramp101
05-26-2006, 06:21 PM
dont know who is going the other way yet...
[QUOTE]Cody Ross dealt to Marlins

The Reds made room for Kent Mercker to come off the DL by trading Cody Ross to the Florida Marlins today. Not sure yet who Cincinnati got back.

"Some guy named Willis?" Ross joked.

Actually, it'll be a minor leaguer of some sort. Ross is bouncing off the walls with giddiness that he'll get to go somewhere and play. Though we barely got to know him around here, he's a great guy and we at the blog wish him well.
[QUOTE]

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

KronoRed
05-26-2006, 06:25 PM
*sigh*
Back to 12 pitchers

Caveat Emperor
05-26-2006, 06:35 PM
I guess Quinton McCracken is the new Jason Romano.

Matt700wlw
05-26-2006, 06:37 PM
It's a PTBNL

REDREAD
05-26-2006, 06:55 PM
So, will we get a better Player to be named than we give to LA? :) Or do I have my Rosses confused?

oneupper
05-26-2006, 07:22 PM
So, will we get a better Player to be named than we give to LA? :) Or do I have my Rosses confused?

Better, perhaps not...but it will be a different one! (hopefully).

Gallen5862
05-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Do you think this could be a setup for another trade or waiver claim? The Reds now only have 38 players on the 40 man roster. This could be to either acquire players in a trade or make some waiver wire claims.

Big Klu
05-26-2006, 08:06 PM
*sigh*
Back to 12 pitchers

I'm with ya. Why do we need 12 pitchers?! :bang:

Gallen5862
05-26-2006, 10:30 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2006/m05/d26/c1473117.jsp
Notes: Ross sent packing ... again
05/26/2006 8:46 PM ET
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Outfielder Cody Ross' Friday began with a phone call from Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky.
"Cody, I've got some good news and some bad news," Krivsky said from the other end of the line. "The bad news is you're not with the Reds anymore. The good news is you're still in the big leagues."

The club needed to clear space on the 25-man roster because it activated reliever Kent Mercker from the 15-day disabled list before Friday's game against Arizona. Ross learned he was dealt to the Marlins. Cincinnati will get a player to be named later or cash considerations in return.

"Some Willis guy, I'm not sure," Ross joked.

No, the Reds won't be getting superstar Dontrelle Willis out of this move.

Ross' tenure with the Reds lasted all of five at-bats in two games.

Cincinnati acquired Ross on April 24 from the Dodgers for a player to be named later after he was designated for assignment by Los Angeles. The 25-year-old went 1-for-5.

Ross' first at-bat was memorable. A Roy Oswalt fastball hit his hand while he struck out against Houston on April 28, causing a deep bruise on his left pinky. It put him on the disabled list until he was activated on Tuesday. He started in left field on Wednesday.

Knowing Ross had been designated a month earlier, Krivsky wanted to avoid making him go through it again. Ross would have had to sweat it out for a maximum 10-day period before either clearing waivers to the Minors or being picked up by another club.

"I started calling teams and tried to find a spot where someone wanted him," Krivsky said. "I wasn't looking so much for the return as I was keeping a player in the Major Leagues somewhere."

The rebuilding Marlins are stocked with young players. Ross knew that not every GM looks out for a player he's trying to unload.

"It's probably a little better opportunity to play a little bit more. I'll jump-start my career, hopefully," said Ross, who was batting .421 (8-for-19) with two homers and nine RBIs in 10 combined games for the Dodgers and Reds.

"I knew something had to go down today with Mercker coming off the DL," Ross added. "I just thanked [Krivsky] for giving me an opportunity to go somewhere and play. He could have designated me, made me wait it out or send me through waivers. He made a deal for me. Hopefully, it'll work out for me."

Mercker ready: Mercker will return to his usual late-inning set-up spot. Although Chris Hammond did well in filling the role, Reds manager Jerry Narron was happy to be at full strength again.

"Just having Merck back out there makes me feel a lot better," Narron said.

Mercker was placed on the DL on May 14, retroactive to May 11, because of inflammation in his left elbow. He took a cortisone shot and has had no trouble throwing on the side. It remains to be seen how often Narron will be able to use him.

"I'd like to see how he feels after the first time he goes out there," Narron said. "Whether we'll back him up the day after that, I don't know."

Seen and heard: Since Arizona starter Brandon Webb has better numbers against right-handers than left-handers (.230 opposing average compared to .305), Narron altered his lineup some, starting switch-hitting catcher Javier Valentin.

Righty-hitting third baseman Edwin Encarnacion was dropped to the eighth spot for the first time this season.

"It might be the only time he hits eighth all year," Narron said.

Injured right-hander Paul Wilson (shoulder) long-tossed in the outfield on Friday afternoon. There was no word on when Wilson will face hitters again in simulated games or on a rehab assignment.

Fuel the jet: Krivsky spent Thursday visiting Double-A Chattanooga with chief executive officer Bob Castellini and Minor League director Johnny Almaraz. The group flew on Castellini's personal jet and later went to Knoxville, where the Lookouts played a road game Thursday night.

"He wanted to see the facility," Krivsky said. "It gave him the chance to see Chattanooga and also see our team play."

Coming up: Aaron Harang will be the Reds' starter in Saturday's 6:10 p.m. ET game against the Diamondbacks. Right-hander Juan Cruz is scheduled to start for Arizona.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

That was a classy move with Ross.

Reds1
05-26-2006, 11:10 PM
I heard it might be for money too! We might not get anyone. I don't know how that works. I'd like to see that guy play daily. Just not here.

remdog
05-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Classy move by Krivsky. Ross has the potential to be an effective backup player and, down the road, may have been a help for a Reds team filling reserve spots on the roster but, for today at least, they needed an opening. WK could have DFA'd Cody but he took the time and effort to find him an opportunity. I like that--A LOT. :thumbup:

Rem

Guacarock
05-27-2006, 03:10 AM
Classy move by Krivsky. Ross has the potential to be an effective backup player and, down the road, may have been a help for a Reds team filling reserve spots on the roster but, for today at least, they needed an opening. WK could have DFA'd Cody but he took the time and effort to find him an opportunity. I like that--A LOT. :thumbup:

Rem

Yes, classy move by Krivsky, but also a rather short, pointless stint as a Red by Ross. Why bother acquiring him if the team had no tangible plans for harnessing his talent? My hunch. Some sort of contigency plan existed, only to be frustrated by circumstances that played out after the Reds picked up Ross in April.

For instance, perhaps Krivsky envisioned trading one of our excess catchers by now, thus freeing a spot on the 25-man MLB roster for Ross. But as we know, no such trade has happened. The fact that Valentin has hit .181 for the month of May and Larure .212 undoubtedly has contributed to the delay, severely depressing their trade value.

Maybe there was also hope of moving Freel following his meteoric hot streak at the start of the season. But then Aurilia and Griffey both landed on the DL, and Freel preceded to hit .208 for May, leaving the timing wrong for any trade involving Freel.

Finally, the continued bullpen woes could have tied Krivsky's hands. Maybe he concluded we need to carry 12 pitchers, or we need roster flexibility to work the waiver wire for promising relievers discarded by other teams.

Any or all of the above factors could have undermined Ross' chances to stick with the Reds. It's our loss. I do think he will develop into a capable reserve for another team, and perhaps a Brady Clark-like outfield starter. Also, it's always disappointing to sacrifice youth because you have more pressing problems to address, brought on by underachieving veteran talent.

ramp101
05-27-2006, 11:47 AM
for anyone who cares, Cody is starting in RF today vs Tom Glavine

traderumor
05-27-2006, 11:57 AM
I wonder why the Marlins didn't just pick him up off waivers in the first place?

CougarQuest
05-27-2006, 01:03 PM
I've got mixed emotions about this trade. It does a lot for Krivsky's reputation with the ballplayers, which is a good thing long term. And I will say that it was very classy the way he handled it. This does a lot for Cody Ross also. But was this the best move for the Reds short term and long term? There were a couple of players I would have given away or just released before Ross. Rick White, with lefties batting .292 and righties batting .364 against him, would have been first on my list.

oneupper
05-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Ross started in RF today (5/27) for the Marlins vs. The Mets batting 5th.

pedro
05-27-2006, 04:25 PM
I'd just like to point out that Cody Ross was batting .500 w/ RISP.

KronoRed
05-27-2006, 04:30 PM
There were a couple of players I would have given away or just released before Ross. Rick White, with lefties batting .292 and righties batting .364 against him, would have been first on my list.
That was my thinking too, who was so important that Ross had to go? he would have gotten a nice share of at bats if Q was gone.

Nice he's starting.

ramp101
05-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Cody wont be getting much more PT... he is still #5 on the OF depth chart behind Willingham, Abercrombie, Hermida, and Borchard

OnBaseMachine
05-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Cody wont be getting much more PT... he is still #5 on the OF depth chart behind Willingham, Abercrombie, Hermida, and Borchard

Ross should start over Abercrombie and Borchard - they are awful. I saw Abercrombie swing at a pitch that hit him on the foot today.

CrackerJack
05-27-2006, 10:28 PM
18 scoreless innings now and in the midst of another offensive skid...interesting that they couldn't find a place for Ross.

ramp101
05-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Ross should start over Abercrombie and Borchard - they are awful. I saw Abercrombie swing at a pitch that hit him on the foot today.
and yet he still went 3/4

Abercrombie and Borchard will/should continue to get the start over Ross...

I know it was just 1 game, but I like them both alot better

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2006, 02:08 AM
At least check Abercrombie had a sub .300 OBP. Borchard is at .310.

Ross may not be a star, but I bet he could do a better job of getting on than Abercrombie and Borchard.

SteelSD
05-28-2006, 02:11 AM
and yet he still went 3/4

Abercrombie and Borchard will/should continue to get the start over Ross...

I know it was just 1 game, but I like them both alot better

ramp, I hate to break the news but neither Abercrombie or Borchard are a Cody Ross-level talent.

oregonred
05-28-2006, 02:29 AM
At least it's never boring with the new GM and the transaction wire. Always looking to upgrade the 40-man roster :)

Guacarock
05-28-2006, 04:13 AM
At least it's never boring with the new GM and the transaction wire. Always looking to upgrade the 40-man roster :)

Well, it's obvious Krivsky is looking to the transaction wire to upgrade the 40-man roster left to him by Dano. But will Krivsky move as decisively to jettison his own mistakes?

Cody Ross was the superior short-term and long-term player for the Reds than QM. Maybe the difference wasn't as substantial as the gulf between Phillips and Womack, but we took a step back surrendering Ross so quickly.

It was the first sign I have seen of any flinching or waffling by Krivsky. Was this case of the jitters self-imposed, a matter of listening to advisors, or answering to financial mandates from up on high?

We'll see soon enough.

Make no mistake about it. I'm convinced Krivsky is far more baseball savvy than Dano. We do now have a better GM.

But in due course, Krivsky will have worked through all the easy fixes of rectifying Dano's dumb mistakes. Once he's only competing against himself and the Big Boys, then we can see if he's a long-term answer for the Reds.

Sorry to be a killjoy amidst all the euphoria surrounding Krivsky's hire. We have good reason to rejoice, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't hold his feet into the fire, the same as Dano, Jimbo or anyone else riding shotgun over this team about which we care so much.

cincyinco
05-28-2006, 04:42 AM
Sorry to be a killjoy amidst all the euphoria surrounding Krivsky's hire. We have good reason to rejoice, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't hold his feet into the fire, the same as Dano, Jimbo or anyone else riding shotgun over this team about which we care so much.

In the same light, I dont think it means we SHOULD hold his feet to the fire in the same manner as Dano or Jimbo, or anyone else riding shotgun over this team about which we care so much, until they prove they deserve to be put over the fire.

Cincinnati fans.. have we fallen so far that we look to find fault in everything we have? Gets frustrating to hear same kind of rhetoric around here.

Guacarock
05-28-2006, 05:34 AM
In the same light, I dont think it means we SHOULD hold his feet to the fire in the same manner as Dano or Jimbo, or anyone else riding shotgun over this team about which we care so much, until they prove they deserve to be put over the fire.

Cincinnati fans.. have we fallen so far that we look to find fault in everything we have? Gets frustrating to hear same kind of rhetoric around here.

I agree. Rhetoric is cheap. And Krivsky deserves a honeymoon period. If Cody Ross is Krivsky's biggest missed opportunity, then our future will be bright indeed.

But I beg to differ with you on another point. Debating the merits of every last Reds transaction, from the monumental blockbusters to the minor decisions that go into filling the rosters of Billings and the GCL Reds, is what Redszone is all about.

Krivsky has advanced the team in ways Dano never did. Krivsky has done that in a few short months. My hats off to him for his vision and for the progress we've seen.

Still, that doesn't mean every last decision he makes is going to bear fruit or shouldn't be subject to informed, heated, even illogical, emotional, fan-driven seat-of-the-pants discussion. Overall, I like what I've seen so far of the guy, but he's a baseball GM, not the pope.

Slider
05-28-2006, 03:06 PM
I think you have to look over the long haul when looking at a GM's performance.

There are so many scenarios possible...maybe a trade in the works fell through, maybe Ross's skills were not the best fit, maybe Ross was an interim piece of the puzzle and the time frame just ended up being shorter than planned.

Any organization, especially a major league team like the Reds, is a living thing...that is the organization is in a constant state of change. The needs, the personalities, the competition change continually and Krivsky has to not only identify talent and plan the best organization he can...but he must also react to what he sees around him every day.

Ross didn't stay...sounds like a nice guy...I wish him well...but I don't think he was replacing a starter anytime soon and I don't really think he figured into any long term solution. Maybe it was a mistake and Krivsky remedied that mistake.

The worse case scenario, assuming that PTBNL players are involved, is the Marlins have a much better group of prospects than the Red's...and we will likely come out ahead in the two trades...and isn't that what we want out of a GM...a person making the team better...sometimes a little bit...sometimes a lot.

I really find it hard to quibble with Krivsky's performance thus far. He has exceeded my expectations...and helped revive my interest in this team.

CougarQuest
05-29-2006, 12:49 AM
I think you have to look over the long haul when looking at a GM's performance.

There are so many scenarios possible...maybe a trade in the works fell through, maybe Ross's skills were not the best fit, maybe Ross was an interim piece of the puzzle and the time frame just ended up being shorter than planned.

Any organization, especially a major league team like the Reds, is a living thing...that is the organization is in a constant state of change. The needs, the personalities, the competition change continually and Krivsky has to not only identify talent and plan the best organization he can...but he must also react to what he sees around him every day.

Ross didn't stay...sounds like a nice guy...I wish him well...but I don't think he was replacing a starter anytime soon and I don't really think he figured into any long term solution. Maybe it was a mistake and Krivsky remedied that mistake.

The worse case scenario, assuming that PTBNL players are involved, is the Marlins have a much better group of prospects than the Red's...and we will likely come out ahead in the two trades...and isn't that what we want out of a GM...a person making the team better...sometimes a little bit...sometimes a lot.

I really find it hard to quibble with Krivsky's performance thus far. He has exceeded my expectations...and helped revive my interest in this team.
Personally, I wasn't trying to quibble with Krivsky. I like him. I don't think Cody was going to be a starter for the Reds, short term or long term, we're talking about a bench player that has yo-yo'd between the minor/major leagues so far. In fact, I think there is even a better player in AAA that plays Cody's position. I wouldn't have minded seeing both of them available for Naron to call upon. I just thought that there were a couple of other players that should have been shown the door before Cody. I was surprised by this trade. But, Krivsky may have stuck when the iron was hot. Perhaps he saw the true writing on the wall and knew he couldn't have gotten a better return for Cody than now. Hopefully the Reds just pay LA some small amount of money or give them a player that the Reds know won't amount to a hill of beans, yet they get an even a better long term answer from the Marlins, even if it is someone that comes off the bench. But from reading the article, it doesn't feel that way. Maybe the best thing out of this trade for the Reds organization was the way K handled it. A reputation like that can mean a little something to players thinking about the Reds as a possible destination.

Slider
05-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Maybe the best thing out of this trade for the Reds organization was the way K handled it. A reputation like that can mean a little something to players thinking about the Reds as a possible destination.

I agree !!!

ramp101
05-29-2006, 11:38 AM
ramp, I hate to break the news but neither Abercrombie or Borchard are a Cody Ross-level talent.
with all due respect Steel, Reggie Abercrombie has more talent in his toenail on his big toe than Cody Ross has. Now who is the major league ready player? Cody Ross without a doubt, but I like Reggie a whoel helluva lot better.

traderumor
05-29-2006, 12:42 PM
with all due respect Steel, Reggie Abercrombie has more talent in his toenail on his big toe than Cody Ross has. Now who is the major league ready player? Cody Ross without a doubt, but I like Reggie a whoel helluva lot better.If we wanted to play the hyperbole game, I would retort that with a cool last name like Abercrombie, he has to be better than some adult with a little kid's name like Cody.

But, instead, here is a view for all to see of who you have such high regard for:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/reggie-abercrombie.shtml

So, while I'm not sure how big Reggie's big toenail is, it seems that his immense talent has trouble getting him on base or helping him to make contact. Now, we do know that he is capable of a moonshot, but other than that, what in his perfomance thus far warrants such a lofty comparison to this line:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/cody-ross.shtml

Ross, at every level OPSd in the 800s. Somehow, his incomparably small talent, as compared to the great Reggie Abercrombie, allowed him to outperform the other thus far at every juncture in the minors. Reggie OPSd .597 as a 21 year-old in A ball, whiffing 154 times in 125 games. Cody, at the same age, was in high A and OPSd .802. Those two performances are so far apart that the nebulous superiority in one's talent over the others cannot be so great as your hyperbole states.

Furthermore, Cody followed that up with full year's at AA and AAA of .280/.352/.860 and .287/.333/.848 at 21 and 22. Reggie? At 23, in AA .261/.298/.747, which earned him a demotion back to high A the following season, where he finally showed up with .342/.358/.891, but took 2 walks in 29 games. I guess he was hitting the cover off the ball, so why not take to hacking. So, they promoted him to AA, and he was abysmal, .173/.193/.520, 4 walks and whiffed 66 times in 41 games. So, I cannot imagine Abercrombie even being in the majors were it not for the offseason deals. Also, I can see why the Marlins picked up Ross, but I still wonder why they did not do so when he was available on waivers with suspects like Abercrombie filling roster spots.

But, when you look at the world of difference between what Cody Ross has done in his minor league career compared to Reggie Abercrombie, I do not know who has more "talent" in their big toe, but I can see who is a hitter and who is not.

To be honest with you, after looking at Cody Ross a little more closely, once I picked him up for nothing, I would have been finding a home for someone else, like Austin Kearns, Ryan Freel or Jason LaRue in exchange for some mound help and finding ABs for Cody.

M2
05-29-2006, 12:50 PM
At least check Abercrombie had a sub .300 OBP. Borchard is at .310.

Ross may not be a star, but I bet he could do a better job of getting on than Abercrombie and Borchard.

Exactly, Abercrombie and Borchard are two of the more awful players you'll ever see pulling a regular shift in a major league OF. To put in perspective for Marlins fans, they're Nigel Wilson types -- all hype, no substance.

Here's what I'm wondering. If Ross establishes himself as a decent starting OF in Florida, has Wayne Krivsky bought himself some good will with the Marlins front office?

traderumor
05-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Exactly, Abercrombie and Borchard are two of the more awful players you'll ever see pulling a regular shift in a major league OF. To put in perspective for Marlins fans, they're Nigel Wilson types -- all hype, no substance.

Here's what I'm wondering. If Ross establishes himself as a decent starting OF in Florida, has Wayne Krivsky bought himself some good will with the Marlins front office?That was exactly my thought over the weekend as I tried to make sense of this deal, which I'm not a big fan of. Trading Ross out of the kindness of his heart and keeping McCracken around is a strike three looking. Maybe he'll get 'em next time.

IslandRed
05-29-2006, 01:17 PM
I liked Cody Ross, and would rather have had him around than McCracken. But in the end, the fate of the Reds doesn't hinge on reserve outfielders. The Marlins organization is full of good young arms and if Krivsky is able to snag one and make the whole Cody Ross Experience a net win for the Reds, then good on him.

SteelSD
05-29-2006, 01:30 PM
with all due respect Steel, Reggie Abercrombie has more talent in his toenail on his big toe than Cody Ross has. Now who is the major league ready player? Cody Ross without a doubt, but I like Reggie a whoel helluva lot better.

And yet, I'd counter that Abercrombie's performance thusfar is a demonstration of his talent at both the MLB and Minor League level. And that performance isn't good. The guy has had over 2500 minor league AB and his .303 OBP/.418 numbers simply stink. If that's "talent" then give me something else.

And it's not like Abercrombie is some 21-year old raw talent. He's actually older than Cody Ross- who has put up better numbers every step of the way. I'd take a long look at tr's analysis because it's right on the money. Guys like Abercrombie are fill-in types for bad teams who are looking for better players to replace said fill-in types.

ramp101
05-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Well we both are going to stick to our opinions then. Should Reggie be in the minors right now, um yes without a question. But from watching him everyday for the past 2 months and watching just a handful of Ross' at bats, I can tell who has more talent and that is Reggie Abercrombie. That isnt taking anything away from what Cody has done. Cody has maximized his talent and has outperformed Reggie at every single level. I am not arguing with who is the better player at this point. I just happen to believe that the sky is the limit for someone of Reggie's "talent level", as opposed to Cody who I dont think will be anything that special.

Hell, Reggie might not be anything special, but there is something about him, atleast to me, that I love. The improvements he has made from April to May have been amazing as he continues to learn on the job with the big club. In April, Reggie "hit" .175/.203/.263/.467 with 1 homerun, 2 walks, and 21 strikeouts. For the month of May, he has hit .293/.376/.463/.840 with 2 homers, 10 walks and 26 strikeouts. It was like night and day with this kid.

Anyway, I will get off my soapbox, but in conclusion: I heart Reggie lol

reds44
05-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Well we both are going to stick to our opinions then. Should Reggie be in the minors right now, um yes without a question. But from watching him everyday for the past 2 months and watching just a handful of Ross' at bats, I can tell who has more talent and that is Reggie Abercrombie. That isnt taking anything away from what Cody has done. Cody has maximized his talent and has outperformed Reggie at every single level. I am not arguing with who is the better player at this point. I just happen to believe that the sky is the limit for someone of Reggie's "talent level", as opposed to Cody who I dont think will be anything that special.

Hell, Reggie might not be anything special, but there is something about him, atleast to me, that I love. The improvements he has made from April to May have been amazing as he continues to learn on the job with the big club. In April, Reggie "hit" .175/.203/.263/.467 with 1 homerun, 2 walks, and 21 strikeouts. For the month of May, he has hit .293/.376/.463/.840 with 2 homers, 12 walks and 26 strikeouts. It was like night and day with this kid.

Yes Reggie is my boy too (Ramp I am FeLo on the Marlins site), Reggie wasn't ready for the major, and may still not be, but if you take out his 2-27 to start the year I think he is hitting in the .275 range. He has speed, and he has amazing power (although you wouldn't know because he only has 3 homers this year) and plays plus defense.

Oh and btw for as terrible as you guys say Reggie is, he has a better OPS in May then Adam Dunn and Griffey.

pedro
05-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Abercrombie is the kind of "tools" guy that Bowden always fell in love with.

M2
05-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Abercrombie hasn't been ready for any level in his career.

OnBaseMachine
05-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Oh and btw for as terrible as you guys say Reggie is, he has a better OPS in May then Adam Dunn.

I guess that makes him better than Adam Dunn then.

reds44
05-29-2006, 02:35 PM
:rolleyes:

That's what I said. Why are you always starting things?

M2
05-29-2006, 02:41 PM
:rolleyes:

That's what I said. Why are you always starting things?

You're the one who brought it up in the first place. Surely you had to know that line was going to draw a response.

reds44
05-29-2006, 02:43 PM
You're the one who brought it up in the first place. Surely you had to know that line was going to draw a response.
Why? Because I pointed out stats.

For May Reggie Abercrombie has been better then Adam Dunn. Would I rather have Reggie or Dunn? Of course I would want Dunn.

traderumor
05-29-2006, 02:47 PM

Hell, Reggie might not be anything special, but there is something about him, atleast to me, that I love. The improvements he has made from April to May have been amazing as he continues to learn on the job with the big club. In April, Reggie "hit" .175/.203/.263/.467 with 1 homerun, 2 walks, and 21 strikeouts. For the month of May, he has hit .293/.376/.463/.840 with 2 homers, 10 walks and 26 strikeouts. It was like night and day with this kid.

The problem with this "talent" is that no one can argue with you because there is no objective way to measure what you think he will accomplish when "he puts it all together."

But, measure we have his performance over 6 minor league seasons, which is much more than one month of the season, and it sure isn't pointing to indicators like you're throwing out there. If the Marlins fall in love with players based on non-quantitative analysis like that, which totally contradicts the readily available quantitative analysis, you are in for a long, tough road of failed supposed-to-be's and a lot of failed experiments that lead to years of losing seasons. Sort of, like, well, er, the Reds.

M2
05-29-2006, 02:48 PM

For may Reggie Abercrombie has been better then Adam Dunn. Would I rather have Reggie or Dunn? Of course I would want Dunn.

Then you shouldn't have had any problem with what OBM wrote seeing that you both seemingly agree Abercrombie's temporary lead in May OPS stats doesn't really indicate much.

Otherwise, you wrote something. He responded. That's how a message board works.

traderumor
05-29-2006, 02:49 PM

For May Reggie Abercrombie has been better then Adam Dunn. Would I rather have Reggie or Dunn? Of course I would want Dunn.No, because you just commited stats abuse.

ramp101
05-29-2006, 02:49 PM
come on OBM, you know damn well he wasnt trying to say that

ramp101
05-29-2006, 02:51 PM
The problem with this "talent" is that no one can argue with you because there is no objective way to measure what you think he will accomplish when "he puts it all together."

But, measure we have his performance over 6 minor league seasons, which is much more than one month of the season, and it sure isn't pointing to indicators like you're throwing out there. If the Marlins fall in love with players based on non-quantitative analysis like that, which totally contradicts the readily available quantitative analysis, you are in for a long, tough road of failed supposed-to-be's and a lot of failed experiments that lead to years of losing seasons. Sort of, like, well, er, the Reds.
This is a year where we should be experimenting. It's not like the team is fighting for the NL East crown. Abercrombie made the team because he beat out everyone else in ST, and has shown much improvement from one month to the next.

traderumor
05-29-2006, 02:55 PM
I liked Cody Ross, and would rather have had him around than McCracken. But in the end, the fate of the Reds doesn't hinge on reserve outfielders. The Marlins organization is full of good young arms and if Krivsky is able to snag one and make the whole Cody Ross Experience a net win for the Reds, then good on him.If you have reserve outfielders that can be considered as viable short term options, or possible platooners, so that you can trade some hitting for pitching, then they are very important. From what I see, we traded a viable candidate to step in if we swung a major pitcher for outfielder deal to keep a 35 year old slow bat.

M2
05-29-2006, 02:55 PM
This is a year where we should be experimenting. It's not like the team is fighting for the NL East crown. Abercrombie made the team because he beat out everyone else in ST, and has shown much improvement from one month to the next.

The Fish will be experimenting for a few years given how far they stripped down this offseason. I think the point folks are making is that, given his history, Reggie Abercrombie is an experiment likely to fail and that Cody Ross represents a decent alternate plan for when that happens.

ramp101
05-29-2006, 02:57 PM
The Fish will be experimenting for a few years given how far they stripped down this offseason. I think the point folks are making is that, given his history, Reggie Abercrombie is an experiment likely to fail and that Cody Ross represents a decent alternate plan if that happens.
fixed that for ya :thumbup:

anyway, safe bet suggests Reggie Abercrombie will be a failed experiment, but I certainly hope not.

traderumor
05-29-2006, 02:58 PM
This is a year where we should be experimenting. It's not like the team is fighting for the NL East crown. Abercrombie made the team because he beat out everyone else in ST, and has shown much improvement from one month to the next.I think it shows how thin the ranks must be in the outfield position in your organization. He is roster filler, nothing more.

M2
05-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Actually Abercrombie touches upon a growing pet peeve of mine: Dodgers prospect inflation.

The Dodger have produced pretty much a litany of failure this century (with the exception of Eric Gagne and now perhaps Jonathan Broxton). Yet still any kid the Dodgers talk up a little gains "name" status. Had Reggie Abercrombie come up through the Rangers system no one would put much faith in him because he'd be generally unknown. No one ever would have thought he was much of a prospect to begin with. Yet since the he once carried the Dodgers imprimatur, he gets taken more seriously than he should.

I actually shot a message over the BA Prospect Hot Sheet folks this weekend because I was agog that Andy LaRoche made the list for what's been his only good week of the season. He, Chad Billingsley, Joel Guzman, Russ Martin, Blake DeWitt, Tony Abreu and Chin-Lung Hu are all having forgettable seasons after being slapped with can't miss tags. Sooner or later folks are going to start realizing the Dodger developmental emporer has no clothes.

ramp101
05-29-2006, 03:29 PM
isnt the prospect hot sheet for people who have good weeks though?

and yes traderumor, the Marlins system is thin regarding outfielders

M2
05-29-2006, 03:33 PM
isnt the prospect hot sheet for people who have good weeks though?

Yeah, but they don't hand out an award to just anyone who has a good week. If some anonymous guy had the week LaRoche had, he'd never have gotten a sniff of the hot sheet.

ramp101
05-29-2006, 03:36 PM
fair enough..

SteelSD
05-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Yes Reggie is my boy too (Ramp I am FeLo on the Marlins site), Reggie wasn't ready for the major, and may still not be, but if you take out his 2-27 to start the year I think he is hitting in the .275 range. He has speed, and he has amazing power (although you wouldn't know because he only has 3 homers this year) and plays plus defense.

Oh and btw for as terrible as you guys say Reggie is, he has a better OPS in May then Adam Dunn and Griffey.

Players both regress and progress to the mean. You can't throw out Abercrombie's start and just call it good because Abercrombie's May performance isn't indicative of Abercrombie's actual level of play any more than Juan Castro's 75 AB May and June of 2004. Players will be who they are over time. And there's little doubt that a guy nearly 26 years old will be his same awful self over time.

Abercrombie has good speed. That translates into defensive range. Good. He can steal a base, but not the most important one- First Base. You can tout his wheels all you want, but they're nearly useless offensively unless he can suddenly stop being allergic to Walks. He's nothing near "amazing" in the power department and has little gap power.

In short, the guy has the same physical gifts that Reggie Taylor had/has but has even worse plate discipline.

IslandRed
05-29-2006, 07:56 PM
If you have reserve outfielders that can be considered as viable short term options, or possible platooners, so that you can trade some hitting for pitching, then they are very important. From what I see, we traded a viable candidate to step in if we swung a major pitcher for outfielder deal to keep a 35 year old slow bat.

If Krivsky has a chance to trade an outfielder for a pitcher, the absence of Cody Ross isn't going to stop that from happening. We had Freel and Denorfia in line ahead of him anyway.

I liked the Ross pickup, mind you, and would rather have kept him than McCracken, but if we picked up something of value from the Fish I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

savafan
07-17-2009, 10:57 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-skolnick-cody-ross-s071709sbjul17,0,5631670.column

There are many ways to measure a professional athlete.

Height. Weight. Strength. Speed. Salary. Statistics.

And value, in terms of the return that athlete can command in a trade.

So does Cody Ross recall what the Marlins Get your Marlins Tickets now! sacrificed for his services from the Cincinnati Reds on May 26, 2006, countless chants and 270 starts ago?

"Yes, yes," Ross says with a smile, before starting the season's second half against the first-place Phillies. "It was for a dollar."

But wasn't there any personnel compensation to complement the cash considerations? Perhaps a player to be named later?

"Yeah," Ross says. "His name was Benjamin Franklin."

OK, so at least the Marlins threw in a C-note for the former fourth-round pick. ...

"George Washington, I mean," Ross says. "I just found that out this year, that it was for one dollar. That's it. Pretty good deal."

Better than any you'll find at McDonald's.

This is one buck that even the stingy Marlins don't want back. It bought more than salty fries and gooey pie. It bought a productive player whose second-half follow-through will be critical to their playoff push.

Since joining Florida, Ross has provided power up and down the lineup as well as defense around the outfield — especially in center, where he is most comfortable. He has become what many no longer expected, after the Tigers dumped him on the Dodgers for the pitcher Steve Colyer and the Dodgers shipped him to the Reds for a player to be named later and, just a month later, the Reds sent him to the Marlins before that player (pitcher Ben Kozlowski) had even been identified.

"I have always felt like I was an everyday big-leaguer, and I've heard a lot of people say that I wasn't," Ross says. "I just never let that affect me. I knew I was capable of doing it, it was just a matter of me going out and proving it."

Instead, he spent this April proving doubters right, hitting .217, struggling to lock in his swing.

"I just remember one day in the clubhouse and was sitting here, thinking to myself, 'I'm fed up, sick and tired of not producing and performing, and I'm going to get pissed off and take that attitude out there,'" Ross says. "You've got to think to yourself you're the best player in the game. From then on, it just kind of turned."

After April and through the All-Star break, he hit .301 with 11 home runs and 38 RBI. While Jeremy Hermida, with his perfect swing and ideal baseball body, hasn't become what the Marlins projected, the bald, stubby castoff has been everything and more.

Since joining the Marlins, Ross has hit .266 with 59 home runs and 201 RBI. During that same time frame, Hermida has hit .264 with 50 home runs and 186 RBI. Ross has committed 14 fewer errors (nine vs. 23) with superior range and versatility.

If Hermida is a big-league starter, Ross certainly is.

Ross is something else: a fan favorite, due to his fun first name and engaging personality. This is a guy who readily admits that, when growing up in New Mexico, he longed to be a clown. "Not a circus clown," he insists. "A rodeo clown. Big difference. Rodeo clowns protect the cowboys from getting hurt when they fall off. They just dress up in that funny attire to entertain the fans during the rodeo."

Marlins fans find him entertaining enough to grant him a chant, one of only three South Florida athletes so honored. Panthers' "David Bo-o-o-o-o-th!" The Heat's "MV3" for Dwyane Wade. And "Cody, Cody, Cody!"

Ross thinks that began after his walkoff home run against the Reds' Francisco Cordero last June. His wife Summer cringes when she hears it, worrying about the pressure. He tries to block it out by thinking of Kevin Costner in For The Love of the Game, telling himself to "clear the mechanism."

"But I like it," he says. "It gets me going a little bit. It makes me want to do something for the fans."

The Marlins, too. Though they long ago got their money's worth.

Mario-Rijo
07-17-2009, 11:07 PM
I suppose it's possible but I have a hard time believing he was sold for a dollar. At the time I heard rumors of somewhere around 500K I think it was. Maybe it wasn't that high but I doubt it was just a buck. If it was that would be a strike vs. my man Krivsky and a well deserved one at that.