PDA

View Full Version : Fun facts: Reds #22 in MLB in salary. Milton and Griffey make 1/3 of Reds Salary

GOREDSGO32
05-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Reds are #22 in league salary with approx. About $60 million payroll, Griffey and Milton comprise about $20 million of the payroll.

If those two were not on the payroll, the Reds would have less than $40 million payroll, putting them at 28th of 30 MLB teams ahead of Tampa Bay and Florida. Just some perspective for you.

Unassisted
05-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Are you surprised? That's been a thorn in the side of many posters for most of the time that I've been here.

It also helps explain the value of the Casey trade.

GOREDSGO32
05-27-2006, 04:37 PM
I knew Griff and Milton were being paid that much, but I am completely surprised without them the rest of the team would be 28th of the 30 MLB teams. Florida and Tampa are bottom of the barrel, and will always be at the end of the line, its surprising the Reds would only be above them.

Redhook
05-27-2006, 05:16 PM
What's amazing is we were in 1st for awhile this year without 1/3 of the payroll playing. And then you throw in Paul Wilson and Jason LaRue and that's nearly half of the payroll. That's a good sign that we're competing with this money being allocated poorly. Milton is obviously overpaid. Griffey is great, but doesn't play enough games for the money is gets. Wilson will be lucky to ever play again. And LaRue is making too much now that we have two decent backups. Just think how good we'd be if we could use the money in their contracts.