PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if it's possible to hire this guy?

icehole3
05-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Brandon Webb looked so impressive friday Im wondering if this guy can be scooped up by the reds. If he could teach one guy in our organization the sinker Webb has if would be worth it. I think money should not be an issue when it comes to these (Soto, Niekro, etc) type of guru's.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060527/SPT05/605270385/1027

The sinkerball wasn't always part of Webb's repertoire. It's not a pitch Reds rightfielder Austin Kearns, a Lexington, Ky., native, remembers seeing when the two met on the field in high school.

"When I faced him, he was a senior and his fastball was as straight as could be," Kearns said. "It didn't move a bit. Then, somebody taught him a sinker. We need to find the guy who taught him that."

Well, here's the name: Royal Clayton, who worked with Webb during his first professional season when Webb played for the Class A South Bend Silver Hawks. Clayton told Webb he thought it'd be a good pitch for him to learn.

Redhook
05-28-2006, 08:26 AM
I think this is a great idea, especially since we play in the Great American Smallpark. Shouldn't it be mandatory that all our pitchers in the minors learn how to pitch a sinkerball or atleast attempt it. A well-respected coach like Royal Clayton could do a whole lot of good.

icehole3
05-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Whatever his salary is it should be tripled. Webb's fastball was hitting 88-90 on the radar, but that sinker was being pounded into the turf. The Reds had no chance.

wheels
05-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Over 80% of balls put in play against Brandon Webb are grounders.

Now that he's found his control, the results have been astounding.

dougflynn23
05-28-2006, 05:42 PM
:) That was likely the rationale behind Vern Ruhle. He also had an awesome sinker as a pitcher and has had great success teaching it at the MLB level.

George Foster
05-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Whatever his salary is it should be tripled. Webb's fastball was hitting 88-90 on the radar, but that sinker was being pounded into the turf. The Reds had no chance.

This is what Tracy Jones has been saying for some time. Scouts and minor league coaches don't make that much as compaired to major league salaries, maybe 65K to 100K a year. He says the Reds should go out and "headunt" these guys and double their salaries. Not a bad idea...even from Tracy...did he play the game?

Caveat Emperor
05-29-2006, 12:19 AM
I think this is a great idea, especially since we play in the Great American Smallpark. Shouldn't it be mandatory that all our pitchers in the minors learn how to pitch a sinkerball or atleast attempt it. A well-respected coach like Royal Clayton could do a whole lot of good.

Everyone looks at GABP and says "Wow, bandbox -- we need sinkerball pitchers."

Trouble is, you also need someone out in the field who can pick grounders and turn them into outs. Put Brandon Webb on the Reds and his ERA goes up just from defensive deficencies that allow ground balls out of the infield for base hits.

cincyinco
05-29-2006, 04:17 AM
Caveat..

I'd rather take my chances with grounders than with giving up the gopher ball...

icehole3
05-29-2006, 07:17 AM
I agree, add a sinker to the number of guys who are coming up thru our system and youre much better off.

Redhook
05-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Everyone looks at GABP and says "Wow, bandbox -- we need sinkerball pitchers."

Trouble is, you also need someone out in the field who can pick grounders and turn them into outs. Put Brandon Webb on the Reds and his ERA goes up just from defensive deficencies that allow ground balls out of the infield for base hits.

I agree that our infield defense isn't pretty, but do you really trust our outfield defense consistently catching flyballs? I'll take groundballs over flyballs any time. I've also never seen a groundball turn into a home run.

Plus, Eddy and Lopey will improve. I can't imagine them getting worse.

Chip R
05-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Not to take anything away from this guy but if he is so great, why is he not turning out an assembly line of Brandon Webbs for whichever team he works for? Yeah, it may not be a bad idea to hire him for AA but at some point, it is up to the pitcher and whatever talent he brings to the table to be successful. Could he have helped guys like Valentine and Hudson who threw hard but more often than not did not have an idea where the ball was going?