PDA

View Full Version : Pierzynski tops SI poll

Spitball
05-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Pierzynski voted most-likely to be beaned

Chicago Tribune

May 23, 2006, 8:51 PM CDT

Okay, so which of the 750 active major-league players would you most like to see get beaned?

That's the question Sports Illustrated asked players in its current issue. It might surprise you to know the answer is NOT Barry Bonds. It's none other than White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski, who received 18 percent of the vote in the survey that 470 players answered.

The Giants left fielder was second at 14 percent, followed by Mets pitcher Pedro Martinez (6 percent) and Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez (5 percent).

Pierzynski, just off an altercation with Cubs catcher Michael Barrett, who punched him in the face, drew more than 42 percent of the vote in the AL Central. He said he was unaware of the vote and had no comment.

When White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was told about the poll, he said, "His [teammates] voted for him, too."

Chip R
05-28-2006, 08:25 PM
When White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was told about the poll, he said, "His [teammates] voted for him, too."

That is hilarious. Ozzie just kills me. :lol:

M2
05-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Any truth to the rumor that Pierzynski was getting his World Series ring fitted for his middle finger?

TOBTTReds
05-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Something about AJ, when people talk about him, no one is middle of the road with him, or likes him...everyone dislikes him. Atleast with Bonds people are unsure and some like him because of what he has done. EVERYONE that mentions AJ hates him. I personally don't like him, and I am friends with one person in the media from Chicago and an MLB coach who both dislike him very very much. Sounds like a first class jerk.

harangatang
05-28-2006, 09:46 PM
I'd bet that if the poll was done before the Barrett/Pierzynski incident last Saturday it would've been Bonds lightyears ahead.

Spitball
05-29-2006, 02:44 PM
I'd bet that if the poll was done before the Barrett/Pierzynski incident last Saturday it would've been Bonds lightyears ahead.

I'm not so sure it wasn't done before the Saturday's fight. How long does it take to poll 470 players? Besides, I'd think Pierzynski would have been crossed off some hit lists after the Barrett punch.

Unassisted
05-29-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm intrigued by A-Rod showing up at number 4. This is a guy who wants to run for public office someday, yet a sizable number of his co-workers apparently hate him. I would have expected some other Yankees (Johnny Damon? Randy Johnson?) to appear before A-Rod on that list.

Jaycint
05-29-2006, 03:06 PM
I actually like A.J. and in every interview I've seen/heard with him I thought he came off really well. Must be a real jerk behind the scenes...

Spitball
05-29-2006, 03:33 PM
I actually like A.J. and in every interview I've seen/heard with him I thought he came off really well. Must be a real jerk behind the scenes...

I remember a spot he did on ESPN radio in which he was pretty funny. However, a friend who has ties to the Giants has expressed complete disgust with the guy.