PDA

View Full Version : Bonds Hits #715

griffeyfreak4
05-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Haven't seen this thread yet.

Jerk. :angry: :bang: :cry: :bash: :doh: :explode: :rant2: :rant:

Ltlabner
05-28-2006, 07:48 PM
He did...crap. I'm sad to say that I am completley dissapointed that he broke Babes record. :thumbdown :censored:

Jr's Boy
05-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Way to go Bonds.

dabvu2498
05-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Who???

http://www.boycottbarry.com/

savafan
05-28-2006, 07:59 PM
He did...crap. I'm sad to say that I am completley dissapointed that he broke Babes record. :thumbdown :censored:

What record did Babe hold?

Outshined_One
05-28-2006, 08:01 PM
The fans blew it when they tried catching it, haha.

That ball doesn't belong to anyone!

Gallen5862
05-28-2006, 08:10 PM
BOOOOOOOO! This is a sad moment. He does not deserve to pass Babe Ruth and I hope he never gets to Hank Aarons record.

NastyBoy
05-28-2006, 08:13 PM

Number 2 all-time. Is that a record?

savafan
05-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Number 2 all-time. Is that a record?

Not really.

Ltlabner
05-28-2006, 08:21 PM

Up until today, he held the record for 2nd most lifetime HR's. :cool:

dabvu2498
05-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Actually, 4th. HA!!!

1. Sadaharu Oh 868
2. Josh Gibson ("almost 800" according to his hall of fame plaque)
3. Henry Aaron 755
4. Who???
5. Babe 714

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 08:53 PM

saboforthird
05-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Bonds is/was a cheater. I'm glad I don't have to go to sleep every night knowing that about myself. ;)

Blimpie
05-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Bonds is/was a cheater. I'm glad I don't have to go to sleep every night knowing that about myself. ;)Maybe he should invest in a cervical neck pillow. If O.J. can sleep through the night with one....

Highlifeman21
05-28-2006, 09:39 PM

Most HR by a LHB, IIRC.

I could be wrong.

savafan
05-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Most HR by a LHB, IIRC.

I could be wrong.

Nah, you're right.

Dunner44
05-28-2006, 09:59 PM
:barf: Bonds

Outshined_One
05-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Bonds is/was a cheater. I'm glad I don't have to go to sleep every night knowing that about myself. ;)

I'm sure Bonds cries himself to sleep every night on his piles and piles of money.

Poor guy. :(

captainmorgan07
05-28-2006, 10:18 PM
barry who the babe is still second in my mind

vic715
05-29-2006, 02:14 AM
1500 more abats and he finally gets it done.I've said this before and I'll say it again. Untill 1999 Bonds was a good player but not a great player.

Phhhl
05-29-2006, 02:24 AM
A couple season's ago, Bonds basically said the Babe's record was more important to him than Hank's because Ruth wasn't black. I have no idea why race became an issue in this, but Barry is the one who brought it up. Probably just one of a thousand reasons why nobody really cares about his statistics at the moment.

OnBaseMachine
05-29-2006, 02:28 AM
1500 more abats and he finally gets it done.I've said this before and I'll say it again. Untill 1999 Bonds was a good player but not a great player.

Come on now. I am the biggest Bonds basher you will find, but even I will admit that Bonds was still one of the greatest players to ever play the game before he started taking steroids. The man posted seven consecutive 1.000+ OPS seasons from 1992-1998, and in that timespan hit 269 home runs, walked at least 120 times six of those seven years, and also had one 40/40 season and three 30/30 seasons. He is a cheater now, but let's not forget how outstanding he was as a player before he started juicing.

Phhhl
05-29-2006, 03:07 AM
Come on now. I am the biggest Bonds basher you will find, but even I will admit that Bonds was still one of the greatest players to ever play the game before he started taking steroids. The man posted seven consecutive 1.000+ OPS seasons from 1992-1998, and in that timespan hit 269 home runs, walked at least 120 times six of those seven years, and also had one 40/40 season and three 30/30 seasons. He is a cheater now, but let's not forget how outstanding he was as a player before he started juicing.

I'm right there with you, brother. If the archives go back long enough, you'll find some posts of mine praising Bonds as the single greatest hitter I have ever seen. My assessment goes back to the early 90's, when the guy used to flick cut fastballs on the outside corner of the plate into the left field green seat homers at Riverfront. I have never seen a player with such a lethal combination of power and speed, and that includes Eric Davis.

But, what eats at me is that this man was not content with the almost paranormal gifts that God gave him. Averice and envy got the best of him. He could not see that his Godfather, Willie Mays, is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time, still considered by many to be far greater than him, because he didn't have the "hard evidence" to make his case. He had to resort to steroids to eclipse the records of players who didn't have half his talent because of his ignorance, greed and ultimate mistrust of people to discern his greatness. The records really mean nothing compared to the measure of the man, and Barry falls far short of expectations not because of the measure of his immense talent, but because of his unwillingness to let that talent speak for itself.

Some like to disparage Babe Ruth for not taking care of himself as an athlete. As unfathomable as it seems, many feel that he cheated himself of herculian accomplishments well within his reach due to his lifestyle. Even if so, it is a forgivable crime in the eyes of ordinary people for a man to trade professional success for creature comforts. It is something the majority of us would do if we could afford it. But, for a man to cheat on the side of his own professional, monetary and legendary benefit breaches the line between ambition and greed.

Though he passed him in numbers today, Bonds will not pass Ruth in the hearts of baseball fans if he plays another 100 years.

NastyBoy
05-29-2006, 06:01 AM

I guess 3 MVPs, 8 Gold Gloves and 8 All-Star games and 446 SB just don't mean what they used to.

Juice or not juice, this guy is just flat out the best player of his generation. Personally, I don't really care for the guy, but the major league has always had its share of *sses that can hit, but there are also quite a few that never fulfilled their full potential. No doubt, Bonds saw it as an opportunity to fulfull his potential or else he would not have done it.

The only thing the irks me is how this is all coming to a climax now. Where were all these Barry Bashers 5 years ago? Barry was not the only one juicing, but he is the only one people are talking about.

People do not want to be deceived, and Barry deceived us all. I think Barry's biggest mistake was not coming clean. We saw it with Giambi who pretty much juiced his way to an MVP, but spilled his guts, admitted it and apologized and the NY fans let him get on with his carreer. If Bonds had done the same, I doubt we would be talking about it as much.

RedsBaron
05-29-2006, 07:46 AM
Yes, yesterday was quite a day of accomplishments in sports. Sam Hornish, Jr., with the help of his racecar, Roger Penske and everyone at Team Penske, won the Indianapolis 500. Meanwhile, Barry Bonds, with the help of his chemicals, Victor Conte, and everyone at Team Balco, hit his 715th career HR.
I realize that many people do not regard racecar drivers as "real athletes" because they do not win races all by themselves......hmmmmmm......;)

GAC
05-29-2006, 07:57 AM

Yep. And that is what makes it interesting about Barry.

Of course I never liked him when he played for Leyland and the Pirates.

His humongous ego was a problem then, and it led to his disastrous decision to juice years later.... and all because he felt he wasn't getting the attention/accolades that he rightfully deserved.

And Barry is the one who has always injected race into the issue. His father (and guys like Mays and Aaron) faced racism.... Barry was raised in a very nice neighborhood and never had to face the level or extent of racism the previous generation had.

His "attitude" towards the issue was ingrained in him by those former players, and not because he experienced it as much as they.

traderumor
05-29-2006, 09:06 AM
What I have had fun watching is the total indifference toward what Bonds is doing by most everyone but ESPN and the Giants. The rest of the league and the media are doing what I'm doing--a big who-cares, sleepy, yawn.

DropDocK
05-29-2006, 10:35 AM
What I have had fun watching is the total indifference toward what Bonds is doing by most everyone but ESPN and the Giants. The rest of the league and the media are doing what I'm doing--a big who-cares, sleepy, yawn.

I was going to mention the lack of coverage I saw about this. Even the local news saved the clip for the last highlight of the sports broadcast. What a disgrace Bonds has turned this into. I'm glad I don't have ESPN to spoon feed me all the coverage.

Larkin411
05-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Okay, I'll just admit it, I like Bonds, ducks. I was planning on watching the game online and then didn't(curses!) but at least I get to see the highlights.

Matt700wlw
05-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Travesty

savafan
05-30-2006, 12:02 AM
I love how on the radio broadcast, the microphone broke before the homerun could be announced.

tripleaaaron
05-30-2006, 02:39 AM
The only thing the irks me is how this is all coming to a climax now. Where were all these Barry Bashers 5 years ago? Barry was not the only one juicing, but he is the only one people are talking about.

People do not want to be deceived, and Barry deceived us all. I think Barry's biggest mistake was not coming clean. We saw it with Giambi who pretty much juiced his way to an MVP, but spilled his guts, admitted it and apologized and the NY fans let him get on with his carreer. If Bonds had done the same, I doubt we would be talking about it as much.

What do you want us to do? 1. Bonds has always been a complete @$$, none of the others have been quite that pompous 2. Most of these other players don't have major records which are now unreachable ( I hate Mcguire now too, does that make you feel better) 3. None of this came out 5 years ago, esp. not the evidence of Game of Shadows.
What do you want us to do? Did you say the same thing about O.j. umm noone hated him 5 years before he killed his ex-wife? Since most of us are not future- tellers this will not happen. And for bonds to continue to say that he did this through hard work and training, and to stand in front of a sign advertising his own web-site, the only one where you can purchase truly overpriced (and worthless in my eyes) memorabilia of his at his press- conference. Before we gave him the benefit of the doubt, but now we can say with sincerity that we truly hate Bonds, and with great reason.

Blimpie
05-30-2006, 05:22 PM
I love how on the radio broadcast, the microphone broke before the homerun could be announced.Jim Rome had some fun with that audio clip this afternoon.

"There's a drive.....(crowd noise).....(crowd noise)....(foghorn blowing x 3)....we are experiencing technical difficulties with the microphone..."

registerthis
05-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Jim Rome had some fun with that audio clip this afternoon.

"There's a drive.....(crowd noise).....(crowd noise)....(foghorn blowing x 3)....we are experiencing technical difficulties with the microphone..."

Does that mean the homerun never actually happened?