PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the thread,

Johnny Vander m
05-28-2006, 09:22 PM
What happened to the thread with Red-In-LA verses the mods? Just somehow dissapeared? I went to PM Red and it wouldn't even go through. Strange, very strange.

savafan
05-28-2006, 09:26 PM
dangit, I miss all the drama!

guttle11
05-28-2006, 09:31 PM
THat guy went out of line. He got personal. I agree with the jist of what he was saying, he just took it too far.

harangatang
05-28-2006, 09:31 PM
dangit, I miss all the drama!You can still read the game thread in Reds Live that started it all.

Caveat Emperor
05-28-2006, 09:32 PM
dangit, I miss all the drama!

I know -- the humor value of people trying to bash the message board they're posting on is fantastic.

As long as it's contained to one thread, I see it as a chance to visit the Troll exhibit at the zoo.

savafan
05-28-2006, 09:34 PM
As long as it's contained to one thread, I see it as a chance to visit the Troll exhibit at the zoo.

Haha, that's a good way to look at it.

Johnny Vander m
05-28-2006, 09:39 PM
THat guy went out of line. He got personal. I agree with the jist of what he was saying, he just took it too far.

"That Guy" was Red-in LA, a very long time poster and I might add a very respected poster over the years. Probably has forgot more about Reds and baseball knowledge than some will ever know on here.

Chip R
05-28-2006, 09:42 PM
"That Guy" was Red-in LA, a very long time poster and I might add a very respected poster over the years. Probably has forgot more about Reds and baseball knowledge than some will ever know on here.
Doesn't give him a pass to attack other posters. If he has a problem, he needs to take it private.

Johnny Vander m
05-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Doesn't give him a pass to attack other posters. If he has a problem, he needs to take it private.

Hi Chip. Still dosen't explain why the thread disappeared. Brother what happened to thou thread?:censored:

M2
05-28-2006, 09:54 PM
What happened to the thread with Red-In-LA verses the mods? Just somehow dissapeared? I went to PM Red and it wouldn't even go through. Strange, very strange.

Julius and Vince made a big mess. Mr. Wolf showing up, that was inevitable.

Reds4Life
05-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi Chip. Still dosen't explain why the thread disappeared. Brother what happened to thou thread?:censored:

It was deleted because it was a personal attack on other posters.

I can you tell the mod staff is getting tired of this stuff, if some folks don't shape up around here there are going to be some forced vacations.

reds44
05-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Thabk God I have stayed out of trouble for the past few weeks. I was on a warning roll for awhile. Thank God that stopped because I couldn't deal without being about to talk to fellow Red fans.

savafan
05-28-2006, 10:04 PM
I can you tell the mod staff is getting tired of this stuff, if some folks don't shape up around here there are going to be some forced vacations.

Why wait? I think it's way past due.

Chip R
05-28-2006, 10:08 PM
I deleted it.

Johnny Vander m
05-28-2006, 10:13 PM
I deleted it.

The whole thing? Wow. Am I next? :confused: :)

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 10:39 PM
If you are..you'll never see it coming :devil:

;)

savafan
05-28-2006, 10:54 PM
http://ittimes.ucdavis.edu/summer03/images/delete.gif

;)

MrCinatit
05-28-2006, 10:59 PM
That route does not work, Sava. I tried deleting a user like that in another forum. Instead, I accidentally hit the "+" key. In a panic, I continued hitting it. Next thing I knew, I had created 14 clones of that single troll.

Johnny Vander m
05-28-2006, 11:05 PM
The way they are closing threads tonight this one will be closed any minute.

Hell they may even close down the entire RedsZone.

What is it, a double full moon tonight? :rockband:

savafan
05-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Hell they may even close down the entire RedsZone.

http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

Johnny Vander m
05-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Sava, you tear me up. You are always able to have the best comeback of anyone I have ever known.
The Mods must have went to bed as this thread is still not closed. Lets have a :beerme: on them.

reds44
05-28-2006, 11:16 PM
:laugh:

Falls City Beer
05-28-2006, 11:21 PM
The mods do a thankless and great job on this board. It doesn't take much to be civil, but when you are, it makes a huge difference.

I honestly believe the board will settle down sooner than later; it's just going through a period of adjustment with an influx of newbies.

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 11:22 PM
That route does not work, Sava. I tried deleting a user like that in another forum. Instead, I accidentally hit the "+" key. In a panic, I continued hitting it. Next thing I knew, I had created 14 clones of that single troll.
- didn't make them go away? ;)

savafan
I honestly believe the board will settle down sooner than later; it's just going through a period of adjustment with an influx of newbies.

http://www.baseballmovie.com/images/happens-every-spring.jpg

Johnny Vander m
Hey I am having fun tonight, the most I have posted in one day in a very long time. But still no rep points.:( The mods don't want you begging for rep points but it has been ages since I got one,,,,,,:pray: :pray: :pray:

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Best line ever.

Johnny Vander m
05-28-2006, 11:24 PM
The mods do a thankless and great job on this board. It doesn't take much to be civil, but when you are, it makes a huge difference.

Oh I agree with you 100% FCB.

harangatang
05-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Hey I am having fun tonight, the most I have posted in one day in a very long time. But still no rep points.:( The mods don't want you begging for rep points but it has been ages since I got one,,,,,,:pray: :pray: :pray:You better be careful someone might come in here and give you neg rep.:D

M2
05-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey I am having fun tonight, the most I have posted in one day in a very long time. But still no rep points.:( The mods don't want you begging for rep points but it has been ages since I got one,,,,,,:pray: :pray: :pray:

Hey, you've got plenty of rep points. Somewhere there's a starving poster in Bangladesh who needs that rep to survive.

savafan
05-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Hey, you've got plenty of rep points. Somewhere there's a starving poster in Bangladesh who needs that rep to survive.
http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/5/5/555/1744.jpg

Ron Madden
05-28-2006, 11:30 PM

OH MY GOD!!! You all can see me!!!

M2
05-28-2006, 11:31 PM

If you ain't asking about the thread count, you're just pretending.

Johnny Vander m
05-28-2006, 11:33 PM

M2, I could post great post for the next ten years and never catch you and having said that, you are one of my favorite posters. Always very informative. And btw, who is this poster in Bangladesh? He is probably a stat man, forget it. :D

M2
05-28-2006, 11:35 PM
M2, I could post great post for the next ten years and never catch you and having said that, you are one of my favorite posters. Always very informative. And btw, who is this poster in Bangladesh? He is probably a stat man, forget it. :D

Soon he and nine of his friends are going to replace The Ten for a fraction of the cost.

Johnny Vander m
05-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Ok, when you do I will meet you all down at Scully Square in the Combat Zone for a drink.

M2
05-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Ok, when you do I will meet you all down at Scully Square in the Combat Zone for a drink.

The Combat Zone has been defanged I tell you.

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 11:44 PM
OH MY GOD!!! You all can see me!!!
Button your shirt.

paintmered
05-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Awww crap, a mod showed up.

But you know what? I think I am going to keep this one open for the rest of the night. As long as things don't get personal, I'm all for hearing out solutions to our recent problems and I think this is the proper place to do it. So let's all agree to leave individual posters out of future discussion in this thread and I won't have any problems.

Johnny Vander m
05-28-2006, 11:53 PM
The Combat Zone has been defanged I tell you.
Oh I knew that, happened not too long after I left the ship from the US Navy. Just messing with you. Hey this is one most won't believe today, when I was stationed on the USS WASP in Boston I lived in town in a very cheap appartment,,,,,,,,,,,,,ready for this,,,,,Beacon Hill. Understand it has changed a little bit since then. Wow.

paulrichjr
05-29-2006, 12:43 AM

First of all I don't think you get many people to give you points after reaching 200 unless you are one of the "chosen ten". I seriously don't even know what the "ten" is but someone mentioned this in another thread so I thought I would use it... Anyway, I believe that I should do a better job rewarding good posters on the Jr. board but sometimes neglect to do so....Sometimes I have tried to give out points but couldn't because it said that I had to spread them around and give to someone else even though I hadn't given to that particular poster for over 2 months... I 'm not really sure what the rules are on that...I just know that I rarely give points to ORG members because I'm not thinking about it...Is this what everyone else does?

Also, I have noticed some good posters on that board who seem to just stay on the same point level for a longtime...I guess it would be disheartening to be on Live for months and never get points...I will personally try to do better.

Caveat Emperor
05-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Awww crap, a mod showed up.

But you know what? I think I am going to keep this one open for the rest of the night. As long as things don't get personal, I'm all for hearing out solutions to our recent problems and I think this is the proper place to do it. So let's all agree to leave individual posters out of future discussion in this thread and I won't have any problems.

It's incumbent upon every member of the ORG to lead by example on RedsZone.

The majority of us here were voted on by our peers as being worthwhile contributors to the message board and worthy of being given ORG status. The rest were (for the most part) here a long time before any split occured. For better or worse, the people on this board are the leaders of a community of Reds fans. While nobody can control what anyone else says, we very much can control the reactions we have to what gets said. We can lead by setting the example we want RedsZone to follow.

The simple way to do this is for the "educated" posters of the ORG to be a bit more educated about things. Intelligence is a gift -- you can teach without talking down to people, and if someone isn't willing to learn, don't spend hours trying to force feed them information they refuse to process.

We all need to (myself included) set a better example and be unified when we tell people "We expect better at RedsZone." When site veterans and strong contributors let themselves stray down the path of fights on the board (without taking it private), long posts flaming other opinions, or letting newbies/ill-informed posters get under their skin, it just opens the floodgates for complaints of favoritism and the long-standing members lose their authority to speak from high ground. We can all be better at just moderating ourselves and thinking a second before we say something that might undermine the very type of board we're all fighting to keep.

You can't stop idiocy and you can't stop people from being idiots... but you can do your part to contain the idiocy, contain the emotions that fuel idiocy and, in some instances, turn idiots into worthwhile contributors (heck, even my idiocy got somewhat cured :thumbup:)

Anyway, that's just my take.

TeamBoone
05-29-2006, 01:15 AM
I just have a question (no commentary). Are closed threads always deleted? I've never noticed and was surprised, especially because it was a game thread.

I always want to read the closed threads because I'm nosy as to why they were closed (plus, for future reference, I might learn what I can and can not do)... anyway, I missed that one!

Cedric
05-29-2006, 01:24 AM
I've noticed that plenty of posters with over 200 rep points are the one's that constantly make sarcastic comments and start drama, it's not just about the Reds live posters.

It's one thing to debate the specific points someone makes in a post, it's another to take a totally different thread subject and ridicule other posters for their OPINION. It's almost like high school with inside jokes and making fun of other people.

Chip R
05-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Careful, Cedric. I have closed 2 threads, deleted one and banned another poster and I am not even tired yet.

Cedric
05-29-2006, 01:31 AM
What? I'm just saying what I feel is wrong lately with causing the increased tension?

I don't know if publicly warning me because of an opinion where I named nobody is really neccesary. Everyone else get's an opinion.

The Baumer
05-29-2006, 01:52 AM
I really wish one of the admins stumbles across the last three posts so they can see first hand what has been happening too often. Cedric did the exact same thing Caveat Emporer did, voice his opinion in a non-offensive and rational manner, yet he gets threatened. What did he do that was in violation of board rules?

Chip R
05-29-2006, 02:01 AM
I really wish one of the admins stumbles across the last three posts so they can see first hand what has been happening too often. Cedric did the exact same thing Caveat Emporer did, voice his opinion in a non-offensive and rational manner, yet he gets threatened. What did he do that was in violation of board rules?

I did not threaten him. I just gave him a friendly warning to not start in on other posters.

Heath
05-29-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm sorry, I've been sitting here for over 20 minutes with my morning coffee, and I, of 400+ rep, cannot think of anything that resembles a high school joke or "Cracking the RedsZone 10".

Sincerely,
The Breakfast Club.

paintmered
05-29-2006, 10:13 AM
I just have a question (no commentary). Are closed threads always deleted? I've never noticed and was surprised, especially because it was a game thread.

I always want to read the closed threads because I'm nosy as to why they were closed (plus, for future reference, I might learn what I can and can not do)... anyway, I missed that one!

No, locking a thread and deleting it are two different things. When we soft delete it (like the thread you are talking about), only the mods are able to read it, but the thread title still remains. We can also hard delete it, which is the nuclear bomb of thread deletitions. There's nothing left when that happens.

OldRightHander
05-29-2006, 10:16 AM
No, locking a thread and deleting it are two different things. When we soft delete it (like the thread you are talking about), only the mods are able to read it, but the thread title still remains. We can also hard delete it, which is the nuclear bomb of thread deletitions. There's nothing left when that happens.

There's nothing left of it, and you probably don't want to go near it for a few years either.

Falls City Beer
Relax everyone. No one's life is at stake. Just relax.

OldRightHander
In the immortal words of everyone's hero, Rodney King, "Can't we all get along?"

westofyou
05-29-2006, 10:19 AM
You mean the thread where RILA attacked M2 and a bunch of us?

Yeah he's in the right.... just like he was 2 years ago when he read the freakshow article.

paintmered
05-29-2006, 10:26 AM
You mean the thread where RILA attacked M2 and a bunch of us?

Yeah he's in the right.... just like he was 2 years ago when he read the freakshow article.

Wow, this after I specifically mentioned staying away from making this thread personal?

Enjoy your vacation.

RANDY IN INDY
05-29-2006, 10:31 AM
This is gettin' interesting.

pedro
05-29-2006, 10:42 AM
This is gettin' interesting.

I think it's getting pathetic.

ramp101
05-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Wow, this after I specifically mentioned staying away from making this thread personal?

Enjoy your vacation.
he gone!'

sorry, too many white sox games on tv recently :angry:

OldRightHander
05-29-2006, 10:53 AM

Amen

CougarQuest
05-29-2006, 11:13 AM
I've noticed that plenty of posters with over 200 rep points are the one's that constantly make sarcastic comments and start drama, it's not just about the Reds live posters.

It's one thing to debate the specific points someone makes in a post, it's another to take a totally different thread subject and ridicule other posters for their OPINION. It's almost like high school with inside jokes and making fun of other people.
I agree

M2
05-29-2006, 11:18 AM
I have to confess I don't see what the big deal is about how many rep points you've got. If people like what you post, they give you rep points sometimes. There's no conspiracy there. It's the way the system works.

Does my having 1,400 rep points make me better than someone with 250? Hell no. I'm thankful for every rep vote I've been given. I consider each and every vote a kind gesture and I try to go back and sprinkle the voting power I have around to Reds Live! members whom I think have written something good.

The whole point of the rep system was recognition that a lot of newer posters weren't up to spec for this board and that a transition system was needed. This board has been around for six years and what sets it apart is its quality. The board, like anything else, has matured over time. Not everybody coming off the street is going to be ready to jump and match that quality. While the phrase "gO rEdZ" certainly wasn't kind, it did represent a recognition of what this board isn't. If what you want is to slap virtual high fives with other Reds fans or to parrot some tired complaint about Player X, then Redszone really isn't the right place for you. Everyone's opinions are up for dissection here. There are no exceptions to that rule.

That's how Redszone works. It's how it's always worked to a degree. The discussion goes deeper than a pat statement of "I think X, Y, Z." It's what's set Redszone apart from other countless other fan sites. The veracity of your claims will be tested. People will investigate whether what you've written makes sense. Sometimes there'll be stats involved, sometimes baseball history will be involved, sometimes pure observation will be involved. Often it will be a mix.

If that didn't happen, Redszone would be a shell of what it is. Newer posters need to understand that opinions get tested around here. I'm not quite sure what happened in early May (I was on vacation), but I know when I got back things had taken a turn for the bizarre. There were a lot of newer posters screaming bloody murder about some extremely silly stuff, stuff this board has processed more than a few times. More than that, they were getting extremely offended when someone would point out there were some innacuracies in their opinions, which, again, is what happens around here. That's going to make for contentious times, because those of us who've been through these eruptions five, six times likely don't have the patience we did the first time through it. I know I don't.

As for wisecracks, there's enough to go around on all sides of this. For my part, I'll admit to launching plenty of them. My view is if you're going to crack on a Reds player or the team for suspect reasons or if you're going to poke a stick into anyone given to looking up a stat, then you deserve to get it just like you're giving it. I've never had any problem with the board getting chippy at times. It happens, but if you're going to do it then don't offended when it comes back at you. We had a lot of that yesterday. There were slams to go around and, far as I'm concerned, only the folks who haven't engaged in it have the right to complain. I reject the notion that there's an innocent "side" in this mix. In general everyone involved in it could behave better. Though those of us who've been around longer tend to know the limits better than those who haven't.

Anyway, I think the rep system works. The board can't act like it doesn't have a six-year history or that everyone who might post here is automatically going to fit into the larger mix. IMO, that's naive. Also, I can't think of anything less important than how many rep points you've got over the 200 mark. If anyone is going around thinking they deserve more rep points than they got or that so-and-so must be full of themselves because they've got a lot of rep points, I'll suggest that's fairly petty behavior. I'm reasonably certain there isn't anyone carrying around a high rep score who considers that some sort of measure of their personal worth. I could be wrong, but there isn't a single person on this board to whom I'd ascribe that trait.

That's my 25 cents on the subject. I think going back to an ORG game thread was an excellent idea. It might cause some consternation with the Reds Live! folks for a short time, but if ORG members like your stuff, you'll get elevated to the larger board in a fairly short amount of time.

Falls City Beer
05-29-2006, 12:38 PM
If what you want is to slap virtual high fives with other Reds fans or to parrot some tired complaint about Player X, then Redszone really isn't the right place for you. Everyone's opinions are up for dissection here. There are no exceptions to that rule.

As for wisecracks, there's enough to go around on all sides of this. For my part, I'll admit to launching plenty of them. My view is if you're going to crack on a Reds player or the team for suspect reasons or if you're going to poke a stick into anyone given to looking up a stat, then you deserve to get it just like you're giving it. I've never had any problem with the board getting chippy at times. It happens, but if you're going to do it then don't offended when it comes back at you. We had a lot of that yesterday. There were slams to go around and, far as I'm concerned, only the folks who haven't engaged in it have the right to complain. I reject the notion that there's an innocent "side" in this mix. In general everyone involved in it could behave better. Though those of us who've been around longer tend to know the limits better than those who haven't.

These two points pretty much cinch it for me. If you're going to start threads sideswiping hundreds of members of this board, some less-than-good-natured thinking will be visited upon your "opinions." Hiding behind the aegis of some perceived injustice at that point seems a bit a late and a bit poorly planned.

Johnny Footstool
05-29-2006, 12:52 PM
True, but the counterpoint is that some of us (myself included) get pretty snide with our replies while we're "fighting ignorance" or whatever we like to call it.

TeamBoone
05-29-2006, 12:53 PM
I agree

Me too.

And welcome home, CQ.

reds44
05-29-2006, 12:55 PM
he gone!'

sorry, too many white sox games on tv recently :angry:
lol check out a gamethread. I think I annoy some people with my he gone's.

RBA
05-29-2006, 12:58 PM
I think there should be a time limit on being a moderator.

RBA
05-29-2006, 12:59 PM
lol check out a gamethread. I think I annoy some people with my he gone's.

You got that right. :help:

CougarQuest
05-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Me too.

And welcome home, CQ.

Well thank you:wave:

Spitball
05-29-2006, 02:10 PM
True, but the counterpoint is that some of us (myself included) get pretty snide with our replies while we're "fighting ignorance" or whatever we like to call it.

Good point, Johnny. Snide comments and sarcasm often come off as demeaning. Few people appreciate their opinions addressed in a demeaning manner.

Hey, this is kinda like a clubhouse meeting to air out some friction.

Raisor
05-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Good point, Johnny. Snide comments and sarcasm often come off as demeaning. Few people appreciate their opinions addressed in a demeaning manner.

Hey, this is kinda like a clubhouse meeting to air out some friction.

you mean getting called "stathead" and "geek" and being told that I "don't watch the game"?

yeah, you're right.

Falls City Beer
05-29-2006, 02:16 PM
while we're "fighting ignorance" or whatever we like to call it.

I make no such claims. I'm not "fighting ignorance" or "preserving the Republic."
I'm not concerned, ultimately, with people's ignorance, willful or otherwise; that's their problem.

I'm a "reactor," not an "instigator"; if someone takes my argument to task--I'll take theirs to task. If someone attacked my person, I once responded in kind; now I take it the "reputation" route, as I should.

But there are good opinions and bad opinions--that's something people should be disabused of immediately: just because someone "has" an opinion doesn't make that opinion meritable or worth sharing unless it's defensible in some fashion. Otherwise, it's a meringue, and it will get stomped by better, more thorough, "opinions." And don't think that by my saying that that I think people should rely only upon statistical defense: I'm not. After all, I have offered many opinions on this board that have not been statistically defensible; but I've at least afforded people the respect of providing anecdotal evidence for my "opinion." That's all I'm asking, and I honestly believe that that should be sufficient--and that should go for the "stats only" crowd, too (of whom I am not a card-carrying member, btw). If you can't come to terms as interlocutors (stats vs. anecdotal), shake hands and walk away. Or...or...research your own or the other's "opinion" and educate yourself. Either solution is amicable, and both elevate the level of discourse on the board.

Spitball
05-29-2006, 02:17 PM
you mean getting called "stathead" and "geek" and being told that I "don't watch the game"?

yeah, you're right.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words...can hurt like hell. :(

Cedric
05-29-2006, 02:21 PM
I make no such claims. I'm not "fighting ignorance" or "preserving the Republic."
I'm not concerned, ultimately, with people's ignorance, willful or otherwise; that's their problem.

I'm a "reactor," not an "instigator"; if someone takes my argument to task--I'll take theirs to task. If someone attacked my person, I once responded in kind; now I take it the "reputation" route, as I should.

But there are good opinions and bad opinions--that's something people should be disabused of immediately: just because someone "has" an opinion doesn't make that opinion meritable or worth sharing unless it's defensible in some fashion. Otherwise, it's a meringue, and it will get stomped by better, more thorough, "opinions." And don't think that by my saying that that I think people should rely only upon statistical defense: I'm not. After all, I have offered many opinions on this board that have not been statistically defensible; but I've at least afforded people the respect of providing anecdotal evidence for my "opinion." That's all I'm asking, and I honestly believe that that should be sufficient--and that should go for the "stats only" crowd (of whom I am not a card-carrying member, btw). If you can't come terms as interlocutors (stats vs. anecdotal), shake hands and walk away. Or...or...research your own or the other's "opinion" and educate yourself. Either solution is amicable, and both elevate the level of discourse on the board.

Good post. I honestly don't care when someone makes sarcastic or snide comments in the thread that the arguement is in, things tend to heat up like that and most here can handle a one on one debate. I just personally get annoyed when demeaning or sarcastic responses are made in other, random threads. That is just instigating and looking for a fight and it seems obvious that it's trying to mock others.

Just my two cents.

M2
05-29-2006, 02:21 PM

How can you see the game through the sea of women around you?

Raisor
05-29-2006, 02:24 PM
How can you see the game through the sea of women around you?

They know better then to bother me during games.

Heath
05-29-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry, it seems like every week we get into this thread-whizzing match.

Sheesh - can't we just let it alone for one day?

Maybe we all need to go bashing Brennaman - that seems like something we could all agree on.

When this team sucked, and the board had a pulse of a DOA floating down the Ohio, it sucked. Now, the team has had an unexpected start, with a mild swoon, so people are hopping on the bandwagon again and clogging the bandwith waves with the Dunn sucks crowd because he couldn't drive in RISP if his OPS life depended on it.

There are days that I don't agree with some people on the board, but la-de-frickin' da. If I pick on anyone remotely hard its Krono, but that's just a deal of "takin' down the big-man". :D

Mods remind me of umpires. You might not like the call, but a reasonble discussion privately might get some things accomplished. Calling a mod out might get your "strike zone smaller" if you know what I mean.

If someone has felt that someone has offended them, drop a PM, that's what is there for. If you want a "cat fight" (sorry ladies) take it to the back alley.

My sarcasm revolves around general mis-spellings, reading a sentence with different meaning, or Krono and Raisor. Hey, I disagree with Cedric a lot, but I have rep points from him, and I believe I even gave some to him. Now, go figure that out.

You guys worry too much. Cheer for your boys of Summer. There's better things out there like reading to kids or volunteering at an orphanage.

KronoRed
05-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Agreed.

Heath
05-29-2006, 02:34 PM
They know better then to bother me during games.

Raisor's Favorite Movie -

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000714BR.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

KronoRed
05-29-2006, 02:35 PM
If I pick on anyone remotely hard its Krono, but that's just a deal of "takin' down the big-man". :D

AHHAH! so you admit it! I knew I wasn't paranoid :devil:

Raisor
05-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Raisor's Favorite Movie -

I actually have that on DVD.

Seriously.

guttle11
05-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Edit: wrong thread.

Johnny Footstool
05-29-2006, 06:37 PM

yeah, you're right.

I'm not talking about responding to name calling. Both sides are guilty of instigating the snide comments.

But there are good opinions and bad opinions--that's something people should be disabused of immediately: just because someone "has" an opinion doesn't make that opinion meritable or worth sharing unless it's defensible in some fashion. Otherwise, it's a meringue, and it will get stomped by better, more thorough, "opinions."

Agreed, but the people doing the "stomping" don't have to be jackasses about it. You can point out a meritless argument without including a snide comment.

TeamBoone
05-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words...can hurt like hell. :(

Very very true.

It's got to be hard sometimes, especially for the new ones, to get stomped on every time they "speak".

More often than not, kinder words can be used to get a point across. I'm guilty too sometimes of speaking off the cuff only to read my post later and realize that it sounds harsh, even though I didn't intend it to.

A lot of people are guilty of this. It's not necessarily what they say, it's how they say it. And I must be honest, some simply are not tolerant of others opinions and observations, even when the poster tries hard to defend his/her stance.

Spitball
05-29-2006, 07:54 PM
A lot of people are guilty of this. It's not necessarily what they say, it's how they say it. And I must be honest, some simply are not tolerant of others opinions and observations, even when the poster tries hard to defend his/her stance.

Very true. I believe that most of the name calling results from a condescending comment. I do not believe a fair discussion can result when there isn't a respectful repoire between all participants

OldRightHander
05-29-2006, 10:51 PM
One of the things that kept me around this board when I was new was the patience some folks had with me when I expressed a view of the game that was somewhat less than well informed. I wasn't berated or talked down to, but a few things were explained in a manner that made me open to rethinking a lot of my opinions. I think that would be the atmosphere we would want to promote around here. Of course, it is also upon the new person to be open to having his/her ideas challenged and to be willing to rething those ideas if need be. That is the way things used to be on here, and still are at times, but some of the immaturity is a bit tiring. I don't like having to weed through the garbage to find the good posts. There are still plenty of good ones to read, but when some folks I used to look forward to reading have been sucked into the fighting, the board suffers for it. It's frustrating to say the least. I hope this is just a phase and we will soon be beyond it.

Falls City Beer
05-30-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm not talking about responding to name calling. Both sides are guilty of instigating the snide comments.

Agreed, but the people doing the "stomping" don't have to be jackasses about it. You can point out a meritless argument without including a snide comment.

Speaking solely for myself, I try not to be a jackass unless provoked.

But honestly, I even take issue with the very idea of "both sides" you have listed above. It's disingenuous in my mind, and only creates a deepened sense of conflict. I don't have a side. I use stats; I use anecdotes. The only "side" I don't like is the "nonsense" side, and truthfully, who shouldn't dislike the nonsense side?

Johnny Footstool
05-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Speaking solely for myself, I try not to be a jackass unless provoked.

But honestly, I even take issue with the very idea of "both sides" you have listed above. It's disingenuous in my mind, and only creates a deepened sense of conflict. I don't have a side. I use stats; I use anecdotes. The only "side" I don't like is the "nonsense" side, and truthfully, who shouldn't dislike the nonsense side?

There really are two sides -- the "back up your arguments with evidence" camp, and the "I believe my eyes more than evidence" camp.

I dislike the "nonsense" side as well, but that doesn't make it right for me or anyone else to start name-calling or making derisive comments. We're all capable of pointing out the nonsense in their arguments in a civil manner.

Falls City Beer
05-30-2006, 11:28 AM
There really are two sides -- the "back up your arguments with evidence" camp, and the "I believe my eyes more than evidence" camp.

Then that's really a sad state. I thought these "sides" were merely perceptual, but if people are lining up to "defend a side?" Wow. Silliness.

And I think it goes without saying that people should avoid snide comments.

Johnny Footstool
05-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Then that's really a sad state. I thought these "sides" were merely perceptual, but if people are lining up to "defend a side?" Wow. Silliness.

And I think it goes without saying that people should avoid snide comments.

That's the way all the arguments seem to line up. It's not just a "stats vs. scouts" thing.

And you're right, it should go without saying that we should all avoid snide comments. Unfortunately, when you're addressing the "Dunn Sucks" argument for the 189,378th time, your patience gets worn a little thin, and it's easy to fall off the wagon.

TeamBoone
05-30-2006, 01:53 PM

What's considered "nonsense" is very subjective. What you consider nonsense may be very different from another's perspective.

And tolerance levels are all over the place on this board... some have lots, some less, and some have zero.

Falls City Beer
05-30-2006, 05:18 PM
What's considered "nonsense" is very subjective. What you consider nonsense may be very different from another's perspective.

And tolerance levels are all over the place on this board... some have lots, some less, and some have zero.

Nonsense is things like single smiley posts, personal attacks, or statements like "So what?"

You know, crap that pre-teenagers say. But I guess you're right; it's subjective.