PDA

View Full Version : People standing IN busy intersections

indyred
05-28-2006, 11:59 PM
With there little buckets looking for money. Every weekend there is some group looking for money handouts at this busy intersection a few miles from where I live. I never seen this in Minnesota. Is this an Indiana thing? These people could get seriously injured. It's crazy, I've even seen younger kids out there. I just think this is idiotic. Where I lived groups had car washes and stuff and people held signs on the SIDEWALKS near busy intersections, but never did they stand in the middle of traffic, with cars flying buy 6 inches from them at 40-50 mph. IS this a common thing in this part of the country.

savafan
05-29-2006, 12:01 AM
I've NEVER seen this happen.

I did have a guy run out and wash my windshield while at a stoplight in Detroit and then demand money, but that is the closest thing.

Unassisted
05-29-2006, 11:47 AM
The street corner donation pitches happen all the time here.

We also have newspaper hawkers at busy intersections every morning. The city government tried to shut the hawkers down, but the newspaper won a court case which gives their sellers the perpetual right to operate in that fashion. Amazingly, I've never heard of any being struck by a vehicle.

Yachtzee
05-29-2006, 12:14 PM
With there little buckets looking for money. Every weekend there is some group looking for money handouts at this busy intersection a few miles from where I live. I never seen this in Minnesota. Is this an Indiana thing? These people could get seriously injured. It's crazy, I've even seen younger kids out there. I just think this is idiotic. Where I lived groups had car washes and stuff and people held signs on the SIDEWALKS near busy intersections, but never did they stand in the middle of traffic, with cars flying buy 6 inches from them at 40-50 mph. IS this a common thing in this part of the country.

In Chicago, there would a regular con where teams of kids would stand in intersections selling candy. They always claimed they were working for some charity, but really it was some shady looking guy who stood on the curb directing them which cars to go up to. My wife and I were suspicious, but even if you gave them the benefit of the doubt, we couldn't see ourselves supporting an organization that condones children selling candy in the middle of busy intersections.

Joseph
05-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Its very common to see in the midwest and southeast at least.

RBA
05-29-2006, 12:41 PM
I never experienced this type of thing in California, but since I moved to Texas it's all over the place. At one busy intersection I saw a person push a wheelchair to the corner and than sat in it. I don't think they tolerate this type of activity in California. People sell newspapers, candy, and just ask for a handout. They also handout flyers for political campaigns or hold a sign with a political message on it.

And all them fight it out to grab the best intersection.

KittyDuran
05-29-2006, 01:27 PM
I never experienced this type of thing in California, but since I moved to Texas it's all over the place. At one busy intersection I saw a person push a wheelchair to the corner and than sat in it. I don't think they tolerate this type of activity in California. People sell newspapers, candy, and just ask for a handout. They also handout flyers for political campaigns or hold a sign with a political message on it.

And all them fight it out to grab the best intersection.Last summer there was a guy in a wheelchair in the grass beside of the ramp from an interstate. He had a sign saying that he was homeless and was asking people to put money in the bucket. Important to note is that he was on the driver's side (of course) of the ramp.

KittyDuran
05-29-2006, 01:28 PM
You also get the handing out of the religious booklets at certain intersections - that happens a lot at the ballgames as well - along with other handouts.

reds1869
05-29-2006, 03:39 PM
This happened all the time when I lived in Cleveland and Columbus. I have yet to see it here in Cincinnati or any of the other places I have lived.

zombie-a-go-go
05-30-2006, 05:52 AM
You also get the handing out of the religious booklets at certain intersections - that happens a lot at the ballgames as well - along with other handouts.

Arguing with the Scientologists that stand outside the ballpark is always a gas.

RedFanAlways1966
05-30-2006, 07:36 AM
S/b illegal.

(1) Those standing at the intersection are at risk of being hit by a motor vehicle.
(2) Those standing at the intersection are a distraction to those driving the motor vehicles and might cause an accident.

Sorry to use common-sense. I am sure I am denying some God-given right, but it is just common-sense talking.

NJReds
05-30-2006, 09:49 AM
It happens all the time here in NJ.

The Fire Dept's around here do it to fundraise.

...and the one that really bugs me the most is when schools send out their athletic teams to fundraise. If my daughter ever decides to play sports, I will never give the school permission to let her stand out in the middle of the street and beg for change.

westofyou
05-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Last summer there was a guy in a wheelchair in the grass beside of the ramp from an interstate. He had a sign saying that he was homeless and was asking people to put money in the bucket. Important to note is that he was on the driver's side (of course) of the ramp.
Just last summer?

I see this daily in PDX.

Here's a story about it

http://www.wweek.com/story.php?story=6021

RedsBaron
05-30-2006, 11:04 AM
I see it done around here on occassion. I refuse to let my own sons do it. They can hold out a bucket for little league donations at a convenience store or supermarket, but no way are they going to even be beside a busy road/street, much less in the middle of the street.
I also refuse to donate anything when kids or even adults are in the middle or near the road; I do not want to encourage such irresponsible conduct.
I will admit that 30 years ago, when I was young and single, I did regularly donate money in my small hometown to the cheerleaders when they were in the middle of main street raising money.;)

rdiersin
05-30-2006, 01:47 PM
I saw this a couple of weeks ago when I was driving on US31 through Kokomo, IN. It was some fund raising activity, and they were standing in the median walking up and down asking people for money while we were stopped at one of the many, many, many, many stop lights in Kokomo.

roundboy22
05-30-2006, 02:25 PM
This is an everyday occurance here. I don't see how someone hasn't gotten killed yet as 2 or 3 cars always seem to squeeze through the light when it turns red also.