PDA

View Full Version : Milledge gets the call

edabbs44
05-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Called up from AAA to replace Xavier Nady (appendectomy). Let's see how the kid handles NY.

PS: The Reds selected Wagner 2 picks after him in 2003, in case you were wondering.

RedLegSuperStar
05-30-2006, 02:09 PM
I think this may be to give Oakland a look at his skills from a Major League perspective. I see a deal for Zito at the deadline.

TeamBoone
05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Let's face it, Wagner was called up waaaaay to soon. That's probably half what's wrong with him now.

And if it really is a loss of confidence and/or ego problem as someone suggested in another thread, maybe it's time for someone to sit him down and have a good old face-to-face! Talk out his perceived problems. It could go a long way.

They coach these players but do they ever talk to them?

MartyFan
05-30-2006, 02:24 PM
I think this may be to give Oakland a look at his skills from a Major League perspective. I see a deal for Zito at the deadline.

I agree...

traderumor
05-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Let's face it, Wagner was called up waaaaay to soon. That's probably half what's wrong with him now.

And if it really is a loss of confidence and/or ego problem as someone suggested in another thread, maybe it's time for someone to sit him down and have a good old face-to-face! Talk out his perceived problems. It could go a long way.

Well, at least we haven't heard any rumors about trying to make him a starter ;)

jimbo
05-30-2006, 02:31 PM

Well said and I agree. The million dollar question is how much of Wagner's problems are scars left over from putting him on the fast track to the majors. The organization never gave itself enough time to really find out what kind of mentality this kid had. They, and all of us, knew how good his stuff was but never gave him the time to develop it and his mental game for the majors.

I know some want to ship him out and have given up on him, but not me. There are not too many pitchers in this organization with his ability and he should be given as much time as needed to right himself because I really feel he still has a bright future ahead of him.

flyer85
05-30-2006, 02:31 PM
I don't think this is a showcase at all. I think the kid will be there for a VERY long time. The Mets would be better served to find a less expensive option in terms of talent and keep Milledge(Floyd is in the last year of his current contract).