PDA

View Full Version : Narron on the 9th inning Ryan Freel "double"

Matt700wlw
05-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Dayton Daily News

Jerry Narron on Ryan Freel's home run in the 9th that was ruled a double:

"They do the very best they can," manager Jerry Narron said of the umpires, showing admirable restraint, although he argued loud, long and futilely on the field. "I'm sorry we lost by four, but if it had been a one-run game we'd still be out on that field. They would have had to carry me off kicking and screaming."

harangatang
05-30-2006, 02:58 PM
It's good to see Narron fired up and into the season, especially since the Reds aren't playing the exact definition of winning baseball in the past month.

dabvu2498
05-30-2006, 03:01 PM
It was a bad call. But the ball did bounce/riccochet oddly off the wall and the basket. That basket has always seemed a little odd to me. I know why it's there (safety/security). But there have been enough oddball plays with that thing that I'm surprised it's still around in present form.

Newman4
05-30-2006, 03:17 PM
I would say the umps "suck" but that would be a bad word.

TeamBoone
05-30-2006, 08:11 PM
I honestly thought it was a no brainer... if it had hit the wall or outside the basket, it would have caromed directly back on to the field with no bouncing around. You could tell even from the long pan before they did the close-up replay.

I am astounded that NOT EVEN ONE of the umpires could figure that out... I honestly don't think they were looking!!!! And there's no excuse for that... are they daydreaming out there?

And I agree that in the long run, it didn't make a difference (except to Freel, I'm sure)... that said, however, if it had been called correctly as a homer, who is to say that it might have changed the complexion of the Reds' game? We will never know.

pahster
05-31-2006, 10:34 AM
I was at the game and it was pretty obvious. Didn't stop the Cubs fans from booing Narron for arguing though. :p:

smith288
05-31-2006, 10:38 AM
How a ball could hit the front side of the screen, bounce UP then back down (i guess how the umps saw it) is beyond me.

It seems obvious physics would only dictate that the ball had to have hit the brick then the basket.

dabvu2498
05-31-2006, 10:40 AM
How a ball could hit the front side of the screen, bounce UP then back down (i guess how the umps saw it) is beyond me.

It seems obvious physics would only dictate that the ball had to have hit the brick then the basket.
It's not the first "obvious " call an umpire has screwed up and it won't be the last. Like Narron said, if it had been a 1 run game... watch out.