PDA

View Full Version : Clemens signs

BrooklynRedz
05-30-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm hearing Clemens has re-signed with the Astros. No figures yet. No link either.

Reds4Life
05-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Newsday is reporting it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-sprog0530,0,6890705.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

KronoRed
05-30-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm shocked.

BRM
05-30-2006, 04:54 PM
The Newsday article.

Roger Clemens is making yet another comeback with the Houston Astros, Newsday has learned. An announcement is expected as soon as today.

Clemens, 43, has signed a one-year deal that is believed to be worth about $3.5 million per month, which will probably equate to about $10.5 million for the season, depending on when exactly he returns to action.

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner, who turns 44 in August, has a career record of 344-172. After the Astros declined to offer him salary arbirtation last winter, they forefeited the right to re-sign him until May 1. But Clemens, who broke down physically at the end of last season, seemed intrigued by the idea of pitching only part of a season.

Clemens makes his full-time home in Houston, and his son Koby is a prospect in the Astros' system. While he identified the Yankees, Red Sox and Rangers as other candidates for his services, the Astros seemed a strong favorite - over retirement, as well - these past few months.

Johnny Footstool
05-30-2006, 04:55 PM
There really was no question that he would sign, and it would have taken an absolute mint for him to go anywhere but Houston.

This is good news for my pitching-starved fantasy teams.

Phhhl
05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Bummer. Hopefully, he will spare us the drama next year and make his decision in March. Hopefully, nobody else imitates his Oscar winning performances in the future. What an ego.

Johnny Footstool
05-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Not so fast, says Purpura:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2463566

Astros GM says Clemens situation is 'status quo'ESPN.com news services

Houston Astros general manager Tim Purpura denied a report on Tuesday that Roger Clemens had picked a team for 2006, saying the situation was "status quo."

Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, also denied the report.

Newsday reported on its Web site that Clemens had decided to re-sign with the Astros and an announcement would be made as soon as today.

Purpura denied the report, telling ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, "It's status quo, except for all the media attention we've had."

"We've had no conduct with Roger's people today," said Purpura, adding that the last time he talked to Hendricks was Sunday.

Purpura said he was told then that "Roger was still in the mode of trying to decide what he wants to do." So essentially, Purpura said, "We're just awaiting his decision."

Hendricks told ESPN.com that he hasn't spoken to the Astros on Tuesday.

"Contrary to Newsday, there is no agreement with the Astros," Hendricks said.

Clemens has accelerated his workouts in recent weeks in anticipation for his return. The Astros, Red Sox, Yankees and Rangers have been rumored as possible landing spots for the Rocket.

In December, the Astros declined to offer Clemens arbitration after he went 13-8 with a 1.87 ERA in 32 starts. However, Clemens began to wear down late in the season and lasted just two innings in Houston's Game One loss to the Chicago White Sox in the World Series due to a hamstring injury.

In his two seasons with the Astros, Clemens posted a 31-12 record with a 2.43 ERA.

An 11-time All-Star, Clemens has more wins than any other living pitcher and ranks ninth all-time with 341 victories. In 672 career games, he is 341-172 with a 3.12 ERA and has recorded 4,502 career strikeouts, trailing only Nolan Ryan (5,714) on the all-time list.

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report.

remdog
05-30-2006, 05:55 PM
There really was no question that he would sign, and it would have taken an absolute mint for him to go anywhere but Houston.

:laugh: I would call that signing 'a mint'---$3.5 million per month works out to $14 million for about half of a standard baseball year (including ST).

Yikes!

Rem

Blimpie
05-30-2006, 05:59 PM
My guess is that Newsday has their sources within the New York/Boston front offices. Clemens probably already told those teams that he has decided upon Houston; however, his agreement with the Astros is only in principal at this time.

That would explain Pupura's "status quo" comments it would seem. They are in no rush to make this thing official so long as he is not ready to pitch.

redsfan4445
05-30-2006, 06:08 PM
will this soap opera end?? come on Clemens get it over with come out and say who you want to play with.. one news service says he signed for 10 million, the GM for the astros says no... geesh.. enough already

Heath
05-30-2006, 10:11 PM
The other interesting remark might be a trading chip come July 31..... hmmmmmm

Sweetstop
06-01-2006, 06:26 PM
He's pitching for the Lexington Legends on June 6. I didn't see this elsewhere here. Not sure if his son is playing also. The Rocket also owns a piece of the Legends evidently (maybe this has been mentioned before too?)

Blimpie
06-02-2006, 10:42 AM
He's pitching for the Lexington Legends on June 6. I didn't see this elsewhere here. Not sure if his son is playing also. The Rocket also owns a piece of the Legends evidently (maybe this has been mentioned before too?)Yeah, I am still holding out hope that I can snag two tickets for my son and me. The ballpark only holds 6,000 (plus the SRO seats) so--needless to say--tickets for Tuesday's game were gone in less than one hour. I even tried to buy tickets through the Legends' opponent for that series: the Lake County Captains, alas, no soup for me. Ebay prices are already getting stupid and I won't pay $ 75.00 per seat to watch Clemens pitch 4.0 innings. I still have a few irons in the fire through some season ticket holder friends...

Regarding Clemens playing with his son...Koby Clemens was hurt several weeks ago and deactivated so that he could return to Houston to rehab at home. Word is that he is fine now and will be in the lineup with his dad that night (probably batting in his usual 7-8 spot).

Blimpie
06-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Here's a little local flavor on the Rocket big start tonight...I still haven't managed to score any tickets tonight. Because this game also coincided with our local youth soccer group league's group night at the ballpark, tickets have been gone for a long time. Luckily, our local cable company has agreed to pick the game up for local broadcast tonight so Blimpie does not have to shell out $ 50 on a SRO ticket in the grass.

Clemens has actually been pretty awesome to the Legends franchise. He has completely tricked out the clubhouse with new leather sofas, flat screen TVs and DVD monitors. He also agreed to buy all team meals for an entire four-day period. Word now, is that he will be hosting a baseball clinic in town later this week where all proceeds generated will go to the Legends for their clubhouse renovation fund...

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/14749570.htm

Rocket ready to return tonight
Clemens to throw about 60 pitches
By Mark Maloney
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

The preparation has come along fine, Roger Clemens says, and tonight he'll get his first test in game action.

As a Lexington Legend.

Lexington is the first stop on a three-tier tour of the minor leagues as Clemens prepares to join the Houston Astros on June 22.

Clemens' oldest son, Koby, rejoined the Legends last night against the Lake County Captains. The third baseman had been on the disabled list since April 23, when he dislocated his left pinky finger while diving into first base.

Father and son have been together for several weeks in preparation for game action.

"He's been ribbing me, so I know he's feeling good," Roger said yesterday during a news conference at Applebee's Park, site of tonight's game. "I was in there lifting weights the other day, struggling, and he said I was like Bernie Mac trying to make a comeback. So they bought me a CD, Mr. 3,000."

Legends Manager Jack Lind played Koby for six innings last night. A full nine innings are scheduled tonight.

"So here we are. He's under way tonight and I'll get out there tomorrow," Roger said. "I feel fine and we're looking forward to it. It's going to be a fun couple of days. ... It's going to be a little more hectic than normal."

Some 131 media credentials have been issued for tonight's sold-out hottest ticket in town.

"I've seen Roger from the time we played against each other in college all the way to right now," said one of the media members, ESPN's Baseball Tonight analyst Jeff Brantley. "He can say all he wants about 'I'm just gonna go out there and get some work in.' He's coming to get you. ... He ain't gonna be lobbing it in there. Trust me."

Roger says he expects to throw 60 pitches tonight, 75 at Class 2A Corpus Christi and 90 at 3A Round Rock.

J.R. Towles of the Legends caught for Clemens during a simulated game last winter at Houston, during a camp for Astros prospects.

Tonight, more-experienced Lou Santangelo or, more likely, Jeff Mackor of the High-A Salem Avalanche will be brought in to catch. Towles was suspended for three games after last night's game.

"He said some things that were regretful whenever he was fined for being late and ignoring instructions about his health," Lind said. " ... When Ricky (Bennett, Astros assistant GM and director of player development) heard about it, he decided to suspend him."

First time out, Roger is not likely to throw many all-out heaters.

"I wouldn't expect to," he said. "If I feel good, I might let a few get in there. But it all depends on how my body feels. I'll know right away how far advanced I am.

"I feel like I've tested myself pretty good under each situation that I can. Now, being in game situations is the next step for me."

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner says his comeback is a team thing.

"I could care less how many wins I get as long as our guys win," he said. "I'm coming back to win. ... Last time I checked, I was in the World Series last year, and that's the best time to be playing baseball. ... So that's why I'm running these laps again and doing these sit-ups and going through this mess that I'm going through right now."

The quirks of minor-league ball will thrust Roger into a pennant chase tonight. Heading into last night's game, the Legends led the Sally League's Northern Division by 11/2 games with 14 games left in the first half. The first-half winner will lock up a playoff berth.

"It's pretty neat for them. I think it's a great situation," Roger said. "It'd be good to give them a little push."

Much of the Clemens family already is in town. Roger said his sisters were particularly excited about getting their first look at Koby in a professional game.

Roger said Koby "worked his butt off" getting ready. Three days after surgery, and against doctor's orders, Koby started hitting Whiffle Balls.

"So I definitely know he's my child," Roger said, drawing laughs. "He worked hard. Again, getting him back out here chasing his dreams is the No. 1 thing."

pedro
06-06-2006, 07:37 PM
He's pitching for the Lexington Legends on June 6. I didn't see this elsewhere here. Not sure if his son is playing also. The Rocket also owns a piece of the Legends evidently (maybe this has been mentioned before too?)

gave up a long HR today

Jun 6 ESPNews reports Houston Astros SP Roger Clemens upgraded the Single-A Lexington clubhouse by purchasing four new black leather couches, two love seats, a 42-inch plasma television, a 20-inch television, a microwave, DVD player and VCR

Spitball
06-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I am still holding out hope that I can snag two tickets for my son and me. The ballpark only holds 6,000 (plus the SRO seats) so--needless to say--tickets for Tuesday's game were gone in less than one hour. I even tried to buy tickets through the Legends' opponent for that series: the Lake County Captains, alas, no soup for me. Ebay prices are already getting stupid and I won't pay $ 75.00 per seat to watch Clemens pitch 4.0 innings. I still have a few irons in the fire through some season ticket holder friends...

Back in 1991, my older son and i went to Ray Winder Field to watch Fernando Valenzuela make a minor league appearance. It was crazy with standing room only and fans actually packed into the outfield on the warning tracks.

THIS DATE IN RAY WINDER FIELD HISTORY
1991 A record crowd of 12,246 crams into Ray Winder Field to see former National League Cy Young winner Fernando Valenzuela pitch in the first game of a doubleheader.
Valenzuela is trying to make his way back to the big leagues with the California Angels and pitching for their Class AA Texas League affiliate Midland. With many in the overflow crowd standing in a roped off area of the outfield, Valenzuela scatters 5 hits, walks 2 and gives up 2 doubles in a 4-0 victory.

BoydsOfSummer
06-06-2006, 09:25 PM
I know where they can get a couple really nice massage recliners for cheap. if they can find them,that is.

RBA
06-06-2006, 10:31 PM
gave up a long HR today

Jun 6 ESPNews reports Houston Astros SP Roger Clemens upgraded the Single-A Lexington clubhouse by purchasing four new black leather couches, two love seats, a 42-inch plasma television, a 20-inch television, a microwave, DVD player and VCR

Really nice of him to give up a 1/2 inning of pay.