PDA

View Full Version : Marc throws out a little teaser... (Reds acquire Yan)

Buckeye33
05-30-2006, 06:13 PM
This from his blog:

Stay tuned...

CHICAGO -- Sounds like there's something else coming down the pipe today. Nothing too major, I don't think. Hang with me.

We'll see I guess.

BRM
05-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Rick White DFA?

Redmachine2003
05-30-2006, 06:17 PM
My prediction Larue traded to the Sankees.

KronoRed
05-30-2006, 06:20 PM
LaRue trade would be major.

I guess Belise on the DL

Falls City Beer
05-30-2006, 06:20 PM

That would be pretty major IMO.

pedro
05-30-2006, 06:21 PM

Is posada hurt?

Reds Fanatic
05-30-2006, 06:22 PM
LaRue trade would be major.

I guess Belise on the DL
Belisle to the DL was already announced this afternoon so I would guess he is talking about something else.

Joseph
05-30-2006, 06:23 PM
C'mon Marc, make with the news!

Reds Fanatic
05-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Is posada hurt?
Posada has a torn hamstring tendon in his left knee. So far they have not put him on the DL. They say he will be out at least a few days and they will reevaluate the injury in a few days.

KronoRed
05-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Phillips on the DL maybe?

Joseph
05-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Phillips on the DL maybe?

Good guess.

pedro
05-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Sounds more like a trade or a DFA than an DL move. Why would he tease a DL move?

Joseph
05-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Sounds more like a trade or a DFA than an DL move. Why would he tease a DL move?

Sure, get all logical.

pedro
05-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Reds acquire Yan

CHICAGO -- The Reds have acquired veteran reliever Esteban Yan and cash from the Angels for minor league pitcher Kyle Edens.

Yan, who turns 32 next month, was designated for assignment by the Angels on Friday. He has compiled a 6.85 ERA in 13 appearances this year and is making $1.25 million.

Jerry Narron said the Reds will use Yan, who can throw in the mid-90s, as a short reliever. That means it won't necessarily be Justin Germano getting the ax when Yan gets here tomorrow.

reds44
05-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Ehhh ok I guess.

pedro
05-30-2006, 06:46 PM
boy his numbers aren't impressive.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3419

Patrick Bateman
05-30-2006, 06:47 PM
I've never been a fan of his, and at this point doesn't look much better than White. I guess we'll see. Hopefully we aren't paying much of the contract.

Matt700wlw
05-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Can't hurt. This bullpen is terrible.

remdog
05-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Ugh. Not impressed. I can only hope the change in scenery will will help him for at least a little while.

Rem

Heath
05-30-2006, 06:50 PM
He throws hard.

Where it lands is anybody's guess.

Honestly, he's better than White.

M2
05-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Despite the name, Yan can't really cook out there on the mound.

Maybe he'll be better than Rick White though. I'm just amazed that Kyle Edens is part of transaction that doesn't revolve around the verb "released."

Team Clark
05-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Ugh. Not impressed. I can only hope the change in scenery will will help him for at least a little while.

Rem

Hopefully he will fit into the Brandon Phillips category and at least be above average.

princeton
05-30-2006, 06:55 PM
if Edens is gone, how are other teams supposed to know that large FSL ballparks aren't responsible for our good pitching numbers?

Edens had an important role down there

LINEDRIVER
05-30-2006, 06:59 PM
The thought of LaRue leaving was really getting me excited for a few seconds there.

My birthday is coming up, that would be one hell of a present to me. LOL

oneupper
05-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Maybe YAN was tipping his pitches. :)

max venable
05-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Reds acquire Yan

CHICAGO -- The Reds have acquired veteran reliever Esteban Yan and cash from the Angels for minor league pitcher Kyle Edens.

Yan, who turns 32 next month, was designated for assignment by the Angels on Friday. He has compiled a 6.85 ERA in 13 appearances this year and is making $1.25 million.

Jerry Narron said the Reds will use Yan, who can throw in the mid-90s, as a short reliever. That means it won't necessarily be Justin Germano getting the ax when Yan gets here tomorrow.
Say hello to your new closer.

Doc. Scott
05-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Edens hasn't amounted to much. He would likely have been let go after this season ended anyway (as a six-year free agent). A college-senior 2002 third-rounder out of Baylor, Kyle had been a reliever his entire career before being drafted. So, expected to move quickly, Edens instead was in his fourth straight year of High-A ball at age 26. (Of course, Abe Woody, the closer who followed Edens at Baylor- there might have been another guy in there somewhere- was also drafted and signed by Cincinnati.)

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/kyle-edens.shtml

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=445628

As for Yan... well, I'll take him over Rick White. He misses bats every now and then.

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/baseball/player.cgi?1230

Interestingly, Yan's best recent season, 2004, came after he was signed to a minor-league deal before the year by Detroit. When he's been guaranteed big-league money (by Texas and Anaheim), he's flopped. This is the second time he's been traded with that Pile O. Cash guy for Basically Nobody (the first time going from Texas to St. Louis for Rick Asadoorian, now also a Reds property).

BoydsOfSummer
05-30-2006, 07:33 PM
I was hoping for a LaRue to Skanks for Wang and Tabata. A guy can dream.

KronoRed
05-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I prefer White over Yan

Patrick Bateman
05-30-2006, 07:44 PM
I prefer White over Yan

So do I.

Far East
05-30-2006, 08:09 PM
If White would just throw more breaking balls, trying to sorta, kinda, almost emulate Arroyo, he and the Reds would be the better for it -- if he could just gain consistent command.

flyer85
05-30-2006, 08:26 PM
I for one have never been impressed by Yan. I would have rather had Julio.

Gallen5862
05-30-2006, 08:26 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2006/m05/d30/c1479526.jsp
Reds acquire reliever Esteban Yan
05/30/2006 6:36 PM ET
MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today acquired from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim RHP Esteban Yan and cash in exchange for RHP Kyle Edens.
Yan, 30, has spent parts of 11 seasons with Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Texas, St. Louis, Detroit and Los Angeles of Anaheim. He appeared in 13 games this season for the Angels before he was designated for assignment on Friday.

He is expected to join the Reds in time for tomorrow night's game in Chicago. He will wear uniform number 52. A corresponding roster move will be announced when Esteban joins the team.

Yan enjoyed one of his best seasons in 2004 while with Detroit, when he appeared in a career-high 69 games and posted a career-best 3.83 ERA. That year he was named Tigers Pitcher of the Month for August (1-1, 2.25, 13g) and tied for sixth in the American League with 87 relief innings. In 2001, he went 4-6 with 22 saves for the 61-101 Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Edens, 26, this season went 2-1 with a 5.46 ERA in 18 relief appearances with Class A Sarasota.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I wonder how much cash the Angels sent us.

Nugget
05-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Interesting - according to MLB.com Yan is 2 years younger than in the other messages in the thread. As for cash - less than the mil as it would have needed to be subject to MLB approval. I don't mind Yan having seen him. Having played for the west side a few times you get to see some of those games. He gives Narron a mix of relief pitchers. They're not all finesse pitchers. It may mean he can use Coffey as the closer as if he needs a flame thrower in the earlier innings he can use Yan. At this time he only has Coffey.

chicoruiz
05-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Baseball Prospectus also lists him as 30, FWIW. And a somewhat stringbeany 6'4", 180.

Falls City Beer
05-30-2006, 08:54 PM
I'd keep White. Yan is worse than even White.

Jimbo'd love this zinger of a non-move. Maybe if we chanted loudly enough, we could get an encore of Manzanillo.

traderumor
05-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Homer Bailey is the happiest guy about the deal, with Edens no longer around to let in five runs after he hits his 90 pitches.

NC Reds
05-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Yan is not the answer to the bullpen problems. :thumbdown

Falls City Beer
05-30-2006, 11:20 PM
You know, the more I think about this the less I like it. It smacks of desperation, non-bold thinking, and band-aid maneuvering. Wayne's had one bold move and about a million nickel-and-dime moves so far. I'm starting to sour again on Krivsky.

Matt700wlw
05-30-2006, 11:45 PM
You know, the more I think about this the less I like it. It smacks of desperation, non-bold thinking, and band-aid maneuvering. Wayne's had one bold move and about a million nickel-and-dime moves so far. I'm starting to sour again on Krivsky.

That's sad. It's WAAAAYYY to soon to judge Krivsky.

He AT LEAST, AT LEAST needs a FULL offseason before that judgement can even begin to be fair.

Falls City Beer
05-30-2006, 11:53 PM
That's sad. It's WAAAAYYY to soon to judge Krivsky.

He AT LEAST, AT LEAST needs a FULL offseason before that judgement can even begin to be fair.

Part of understanding the world is to read between the lines. A number--a large number--of Redszoners saw DanO's timidity as his great flaw very, very early on in his tenure.

My concern about Krivsky from the very beginning is that he's Jimbo, Jr. These kind of fly-by-night trades don't quell my suspicions.

It's early, but it's never too early.

Matt700wlw
05-30-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm willing to give him more time (which I think everybody is)...he has quite a mess to fix here, thanks to the ineptitude of the previous regime.

Nugget
05-31-2006, 12:05 AM

My way of thinking a lot of nickel and dime moves are better than a few bold moves as one good is always cancelled by one bad move. If you look at whats happended. The REDS have given up a minor leaguer who wasn't gonig places for a seasoned relief pitcher who gives them some options out of the pen, which is one of the areas which has been a problem. Whether Yan is the bullpen's saviour is another issue but if your out to get a Liriano or someone else you'd be giving up a lot more than a minor leaguer going nowhere.

smith288
05-31-2006, 01:14 AM
Part of understanding the world is to read between the lines. A number--a large number--of Redszoners saw DanO's timidity as his great flaw very, very early on in his tenure.

My concern about Krivsky from the very beginning is that he's Jimbo, Jr. These kind of fly-by-night trades don't quell my suspicions.

It's early, but it's never too early.
Edens sucked and Yan has pitched well in a previous life. This is is a no-risk move. Whats to be all alarmist about it then?

Such a pessimist you are.

cincyinco
05-31-2006, 02:28 AM
Edens sucked and Yan has pitched well in a previous life. This is is a no-risk move. Whats to be all alarmist about it then?

I agree - and let me make it clear I agree about it being a no risk move... not about the FCB comment. heh.

I don't see how you can bag on Krivsky for making this move at all. Edens is minor league filler. The move may reak of desperation, but damn! I think we're desperate!!! :) He gave up nothing for a possible reward. Its a good risk that tries to address a problem.

Thumbs up from me, even if Yan doesn't do a thing for us.

Topcat
05-31-2006, 02:49 AM

Actually I think its a negadelphia thing lol ;) . My personal thought is they dumpster dove and grabbed a guy who can be used. The cost of Yan was next to nothing.

wheels
05-31-2006, 02:57 AM
Millhouse (of Simpson's fame) as Esteban Yan (then of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays) is better than the real Esteban Yan.

Wonder if "The House" is available?

Falls City Beer
05-31-2006, 06:44 PM

Sure it's a no-risk move. No risk, no reward. Hellooooo, Jimbo.

Falls City Beer
05-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Thumbs up from me, even if Yan doesn't do a thing for us.

This is like giving a student a B+ for not doing his homework.

RedRoser
05-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Yan = yawn. :help:

IslandRed
05-31-2006, 07:16 PM
The Yan who's been pitching lately wouldn't be much help, but relievers are volatile. Guys come back from the dead all the time. If the 2006 pattern holds, we'll take a look at him, and if he still sucks after a bit, he'll hit the DFA Lounge.

As for the JB comparisons... we'll see, but I'm not worried so far. It shouldn't surprise anyone when a new GM of a talent-starved organization churns the snot out of the roster. And I haven't seen Krivsky try to oversell deals yet. He's talking about Yan as a guy who might help the bullpen; Bowden would have acted like he'd pulled off some sort of heist.

Gallen5862
06-01-2006, 12:56 AM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...1/c1481707.jsp
Notes: Yan greeted by new club
05/31/2006 9:00 PM ET
By Kerry Walls / Special to MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Newly acquired Esteban Yan had just arrived at Wrigley Field hours before Wednesday's game and was walking through the clubhouse preparing to meet with reporters when he stopped to shake hands with new teammate Todd Coffey.
Such is the life of a well-traveled reliever thrust into new surroundings one day after being acquired by Cincinnati from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

"When I got put out for assignment, I knew something might happen," Yan said.

Manager Jerry Narron plans to work Yan in non-pressure situations to start.

"We'll just give him some time on the mound. We're not going to put him in the eighth or ninth inning with a one-run lead," Narron said.

"I like to pitch. When you're in the bullpen, you have to do any role the manager gives to you," Yan said. "I need to prove myself. I need to try to do my job."

To make room for Yan, the Reds optioned left-hander Brian Shackelford to Triple-A Louisville.

Shackelford was 1-0 with a 7.71 ERA in 14 games.

"Probably as much as anything, what hurt Shack was at-bats against right-handed hitters," Narron said.

Kearns healthy and hitting: After breaking into the Majors in 2002, hitting .315 with 13 homers and 56 RBIs in 107 games, Austin Kearns has spent the last three seasons battling injuries, playing time and inconsistency.

But now, with those nagging ailments in the rear-view mirror and an everyday spot secured in the outfield, Kearns is once again proving he can be one of the game's top young stars -- as his 10 homers, 30 RBIs and .286 average in 51 games indicate.

"This year, I've done a lot more stuff, as far as doing stuff in the cage," Kearns said. "I missed so much time [in recent years], it just takes a while to get it all back to feel like you can be consistent. It seems like the last couple years, it was just coming and going. It'd be there for a few days, then lost for a couple of weeks."

Last season, Kearns had to share playing time with Adam Dunn and Wily Mo Pena in the outfield.

"I stayed healthy all year last year. I just wasn't playing every day," he said. "So I think that's been the biggest thing, just getting consistent at-bats."

Kearns doesn't dwell on the myriad of injuries that limited him to just 258 games over the past three seasons.

"Some weird stuff has happened -- kind of some freak injuries," he said. "I've put all that stuff aside. I'm just looking forward."

Nuxhall admitted to hospital: Reds legend Joe Nuxhall was admitted into Mercy Fairfield Hospital on Tuesday morning with double pneumonia.

"He's doing OK. He's where he should have been about five days ago," his son, Kim Nuxhall, told the Dayton Daily News. "One of his good traits comes back to haunt him sometimes ... the tenacity of not giving up."

Nuxhall served as Reds broadcaster from 1968-2004.

Coming up: After a day off on Thursday, the Reds travel to Houston for an 8:05 p.m. ET game on Friday. Aaron Harang will oppose young Astros lefty Wandy Rodriguez.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Gallen5862
06-01-2006, 12:58 AM
This is smart thinking letting Yan get use to the team before sending him in for pressure situations. I am glad to see that Coffey greeted him. I am hopeful that Yan can get some work in and start pitching well again.