PDA

View Full Version : Reds acquire Yan

reds44
05-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Reds acquire Yan

CHICAGO -- The Reds have acquired veteran reliever Esteban Yan and cash from the Angels for minor league pitcher Kyle Edens.

Yan, who turns 32 next month, was designated for assignment by the Angels on Friday. He has compiled a 6.85 ERA in 13 appearances this year and is making $1.25 million.

Jerry Narron said the Reds will use Yan, who can throw in the mid-90s, as a short reliever. That means it won't necessarily be Justin Germano getting the ax when Yan gets here tomorrow.

-Marc

Caseyfan21
05-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Time for Rick White to start packing?

BuckWoody
05-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Time for Rick White to start packing?
Hmmmmmm, could be. You'd think that if they had this in the works, they wouldn't have called Germano up just to turn around and send him back down.

Redhook
05-30-2006, 05:51 PM
6.85 ERA....he'll fit right in. Wouldn't want a reliever to feel uncomfortable with an ERA under 5.00. ;)

Puffy
05-30-2006, 05:53 PM
He's got a live arm - that is a plus. Hopefully Hume sees something so that live arm translates into swings and misses and, more importantly, outs.

Jr's Boy
05-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Anything's better than Rick White.Maybe Whites DFA could be near so he could finish his house ahead of schedule.

pedro
05-30-2006, 05:54 PM
He's got a live arm - that is a plus. Hopefully Hume sees something so that live arm translates into swings and misses and, more importantly, outs.

He a lot younger than White too. (30)

edabbs44
05-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I think this is a move to help the egos of the rest of the bullpen. After Yan logs a few appearances, White will be relieved that he isn't the worst in the BP.

Actually I have no problem with the move..seems like Edens wasn't going to amount to much and if Yan doesn't work out then we'll just wait for the next DFA to hit the street.

reds44
05-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Something has to be happen before the game tonight right?

RedsManRick
05-30-2006, 05:58 PM
While I always am the first to say don't overreact to small sample sizes, I think there is probably merit to putting aging middle relievers on a short leash and riding the hot hand.

Krvisky is starting to remind me a tad bit of Schuerholz/Jockety in so far as he doesn't seem overly attached to fungible pieces of the team and will move to secure the pieces he wants to see put in place.

He'll never be accused of sitting on his hands.

Gallen5862
05-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know how much cash was included in the deal? This is a decent move. It gets a fresh arm for the pen and not costing alot.

Guacarock
05-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Let's hope it's Yan and not ya(w)n.

BoydsOfSummer
05-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Career componet E.R.A's

White 4.30
Yan 5.12

They should have brought up Eden's. :D

guttle11
05-30-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm not overly impressed by the deal right now, but it certainly can't hurt to get someone new for the pen.

I'll give it time before making any conclusions.

jesusfan
05-30-2006, 06:16 PM
He has always been in the A.L too, maybe the N.L change in scenery will help him, not many players have seen him over in the N.L...

Gainesville Red
05-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Title of the post at the Angels forum: Thank God, Yan is Gone.

Not sure if that's a good sign, but here's to hoping. :drink:

CTA513
05-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Yan this year: 6.85 ERA, 22.1 Innings, 19 Hits, 4 HR, 13 BB, 16 K
Edens in Sarasota this year: 5.46 ERA, 29.2 Innings, 41 Hits, 1 HR, 9 BB, 25 K

Both guys arent doing good this year, but Yan has major league experience.
Just looking at Yans stats it looks like he needs to cut down on walks, because 13 walks in 22 innings is way to much.

Caseyfan21
05-30-2006, 06:29 PM
As I understood the article we won't get a corresponding roster move until tomorrow because Yan won't arrive time for tonight's game. Germano will not be going down, I'm pretty sure of that. As Marc said, Yan is a short innings guy and Germano is in the position of long relief. I think unless another trade or DL move happens, Mr. White is enjoying his last game in a Cincinnati uniform.

Matt700wlw
05-30-2006, 06:30 PM
As I understood the article we won't get a corresponding roster move until tomorrow because Yan won't arrive time for tonight's game. Germano will not be going down, I'm pretty sure of that. As Marc said, Yan is a short innings guy and Germano is in the position of long relief.

Sounds about right to me

Caveat Emperor
05-30-2006, 06:40 PM
All I remember about Yan was that he was all the rage in fantasy leagues back when I was a senior in high school because he picked up like 3 or 4 early wins in the first few weeks of the season.

Otherwise, the only thing this move tells me is that Krivsky is not amicable to two-level promotions (AA --> Majors) and that Ryan Wagner has no future with this ballclub.

KronoRed
05-30-2006, 06:45 PM
I'd almost rather keep White

harangatang
05-30-2006, 06:46 PM
He has always been in the A.L too, maybe the N.L change in scenery will help him, not many players have seen him over in the N.L...He actually played a half season in St. Louis in 2003 with a 6.02 ERA. I do agree a change of scenery will probably help, he throws decently hard which is better than anything we have besides Coffey.

captainmorgan07
05-30-2006, 06:47 PM
he should do alright he'll have success at first since nbody has seen him if he can keep which i htink he will i'll be happy

jesusfan
05-30-2006, 07:13 PM
He has a pretty good sinking fastball too, atleast that's what Krivsky says... I'm glad we have another mid 90's fastball to throw out there... Maybe he can miss some bats...

jimbo
05-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Maybe I am just seeing things, but I think I've seen White hit the radar gun in the 92-94 mph range recently. Doesn't matter how fast you throw the ball if you can't get hitters out.

The positive I see with this acquisition is the fact that not many hitters in the NL have seen Yan, but that will only be an advantage for a little while.

jesusfan
05-30-2006, 07:26 PM
If you have ever seen Yan pitch he is definitely more of a power pitcher than Rick freakin White.... which doesnt mean much if you can't get it over and hit your spots...

Gallen5862
05-30-2006, 07:29 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...0/c1479526.jsp
Reds acquire reliever Esteban Yan
05/30/2006 6:36 PM ET
MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today acquired from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim RHP Esteban Yan and cash in exchange for RHP Kyle Edens.
Yan, 30, has spent parts of 11 seasons with Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Texas, St. Louis, Detroit and Los Angeles of Anaheim. He appeared in 13 games this season for the Angels before he was designated for assignment on Friday.

He is expected to join the Reds in time for tomorrow night's game in Chicago. He will wear uniform number 52. A corresponding roster move will be announced when Esteban joins the team.

Yan enjoyed one of his best seasons in 2004 while with Detroit, when he appeared in a career-high 69 games and posted a career-best 3.83 ERA. That year he was named Tigers Pitcher of the Month for August (1-1, 2.25, 13g) and tied for sixth in the American League with 87 relief innings. In 2001, he went 4-6 with 22 saves for the 61-101 Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Edens, 26, this season went 2-1 with a 5.46 ERA in 18 relief appearances with Class A Sarasota.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

My questions are how much money are the Angels sending and who gets dfaed? I am also wondering if more trades are coming. we still have 40 man roster room. How badly hurt is Phillips?

flyer85
05-30-2006, 07:34 PM
:yawn

Far East
05-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Maybe I am just seeing things, but I think I've seen White hit the radar gun in the 92-94 mph range recently.
And straight as can be.

As noted on another thread, he needs to feature his breaking stuff more and more and more.

KronoRed
05-30-2006, 07:38 PM
New junk at least right? ;)

gm
05-30-2006, 07:55 PM
They should have brought up Eden's. :D

Don't get princeton's hopes up

Danny Serafini
05-30-2006, 08:01 PM
All you people cutting Rick White are forgetting something very important - Brian Shackelford has options and an even higher ERA. That's who I'd expect to go.

Ltlabner
05-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Estaban Yan? Isn't that the gituar playing guy on TV?

TeamBoone
05-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Hmmmmmm, could be. You'd think that if they had this in the works, they wouldn't have called Germano up just to turn around and send him back down.

Perhaps they already had something in the works regarding letting someone go from the bullpen..... hmmmmmmm.

Sometimes a guy just needs a change of scenery... perhaps that's true of Yan (e.g., Phillips). Also, whomever said Hume may have seen something fixable may also be true.

edabbs44
05-30-2006, 08:33 PM
All you people cutting Rick White are forgetting something very important - Brian Shackelford has options and an even higher ERA. That's who I'd expect to go.
Shack gets lefties out. White gets no one out.

jimbo
05-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Shack didn't get that lefty out yesterday. I think Shackleford and his 7.71 ERA will be the one heading back to Louisville.

flyer85
05-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Shack didn't get that lefty out yesterday. now LH hitters are 2-18 off of him this year

jesusfan
05-30-2006, 09:27 PM
On the pre-game show on WLW they said Shackleford had no options left...

FindlayRed
05-30-2006, 09:37 PM
A change of leagues does not neccesarily mean he will succeed one bit. See Weber, Ben.

Willy
05-30-2006, 10:29 PM
I like that fact that Krivsky keeps these guys wondering. Things aren't going well so he shakes it up. Nothing major, but it shows he is still fighting for them.

remdog
05-30-2006, 10:38 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...0/c1479526.jsp
Reds acquire reliever Esteban Yan
05/30/2006 6:36 PM ET
MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today acquired from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim RHP Esteban Yan and cash in exchange for RHP Kyle Edens.
Yan, 30, has spent parts of 11 seasons with Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Texas, St. Louis, Detroit and Los Angeles of Anaheim. He appeared in 13 games this season for the Angels before he was designated for assignment on Friday.

Geez, even MLB can't get that crappy name correct. :evil: Since when is Los Angeles a part of Anaheim? :bash:

Rem

KySteveH
05-30-2006, 11:07 PM
On the pre-game show on WLW they said Shackleford had no options left...
That wouldn't make any sense, as he has been on optional assignment already this year. If he was on optional assignment in April, he must have an optional year left (obviously).

NastyBoy
05-31-2006, 01:00 AM
That wouldn't make any sense, as he has been on optional assignment already this year. If he was on optional assignment in April, he must have an optional year left (obviously).

The guy is 29 years old and may very well be out of optional years.

zombie-a-go-go
05-31-2006, 06:28 AM
Hey, I think everyone's missing Yan's true value here. In ten years of ML service, he's got a career average 2.500 SLG!!! :eek:

Yan is our new clean-up hitter, or I'll eat my hat.

CougarQuest
05-31-2006, 06:55 AM
Hey, I think everyone's missing Yan's true value here. In ten years of ML service, he's got a career average 2.500 SLG!!! :eek:

Yan is our new clean-up hitter, or I'll eat my hat.

But you don't own a hat
:p:

zombie-a-go-go
05-31-2006, 06:57 AM
But you don't own a hat
:p:

Thanks to that whole "Acevedo is front-of-the-rotation quality, or I'll eat my hat" debacle from back in the day.

cumberlandreds
05-31-2006, 08:06 AM
Yan can't be much worse than White. Maybe Krivsky has caught lightening in a bottle once again.

Newman4
05-31-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm trying to find something positive from his stats..........well,at least I guess he throws hard. If you even consider that positive.

JaxRed
05-31-2006, 09:05 AM
"That wouldn't make any sense, as he has been on optional assignment already this year. If he was on optional assignment in April, he must have an optional year left (obviously)."

This is correct. He HAS to have options, because we've used one this season.

REDREAD
05-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Well, it's another project. Didn't cost us anything significant. It's worth a try, I suppose, even though my expectations are low.

Glad to see Wayne working the system and trying though. DanO would be in the middle of his mid-summer snooze by now.

redsmetz
05-31-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm trying to find something positive from his stats..........well,at least I guess he throws hard. If you even consider that positive.

Well if you take away his two horrible outings in which he gave up 10 runs (and, of course, that can't be dismissed), he's an acceptable 3.48 ERA with 14 K's in 18.1 innings (the two bad outings were 1 inning and 3 innings respetively).

Interestingly, all of his 13 appearances this year were in Angels losses.

Ltlabner
05-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Glad to see Wayne working the system and trying though. DanO would be in the middle of his mid-summer snooze by now.

I think this is a great point. DanO would have done nothing other than get on TV and blather about god knows what.

The Kriv would be silly to instigate a complete fire-sale now. I'm not saying he wouldn't pull off a big more or two but a complete "burn it down" is completely un-warrented. IMO, until this point, he's wanted to see how things will shake out before moving any big names. By default, that means his moves are going to be less earth-shattering in their nature. Yes, we'll have to take some chances along the way, but that is the nature of building a team. Not every move can be a blockbuster.

The key is, however, that he's been consistantly making moves, allbiet small ones, since he's been here. It's obvious that he's moving forward and has a goal in mind in terms of the team he'd like to build. Will Marc Lancasters predictions hold and we'll see a flury of moves today/tomorow. It's possible. I'm just glad that he isn't standing around like a deer in the headlights as has been the case in the past.

Newman4
05-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Well if you take away his two horrible outings in which he gave up 10 runs (and, of course, that can't be dismissed), he's an acceptable 3.48 ERA with 14 K's in 18.1 innings (the two bad outings were 1 inning and 3 innings respetively).

Interestingly, all of his 13 appearances this year were in Angels losses.

I knew someone would be able to make lemonade out of those sour lemons. :) Good job redsmetz

flyer85
05-31-2006, 10:11 AM
take away the bad outings of a pitcher and his numbers look rather good at that point. The bad outings are part of who Yan is as a pitcher.

redsmetz
05-31-2006, 10:20 AM
take away the bad outings of a pitcher and his numbers look rather good at that point. The bad outings are part of who Yan is as a pitcher.

I made that clear in my original post and I concur completely. Consistancy is imperative. I'm just saying that he has shown he's capable of pitching well. Will some new scenery allow him to do that consistantly? I have no idea. One minor pickup isn't going to right this ship at the moment.

flyer85
05-31-2006, 10:29 AM
I made that clear in my original post and I concur completely. Consistancy is imperative. I'm just saying that he has shown he's capable of pitching well. Will some new scenery allow him to do that consistantly? I have no idea. One minor pickup isn't going to right this ship at the moment.I would suggest he's proven that at best he is an 11/12th man on a pitching staff and in no way will help solve the problems of this bullpen. Inconsistent is who he is. Could he get hot for a few weeks? Sure but eventually he will find his level which is known as "replacement".

registerthis
05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks to that whole "Acevedo is front-of-the-rotation quality, or I'll eat my hat" debacle from back in the day.

Yep, I lost mine in the whole Donnie Sadler 4-Eva crisis.

redsfan30
05-31-2006, 11:06 AM
Esteban Yan's stats don't look too good, that's for sure. But neither did Brandon Phillips' when he came over and neither did (as some would agree with and some would disagree with) Bronson Arroyo's when he came over. I think Phillips and Arroyo have worked out pretty well so far.

Wayne Krivsky has earned my trust in making moves so I will hold out a reasonalbe amount of hope for this move too. Another reason to like this deal is Krivsky doesn't seem to be above cutting his "own" guys if they don't work out.

We shall see.

NatiRedGals
05-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Fear the reaper

CHICAGO -- The postgame atmosphere in the Reds' clubhouse was awfully tense. Those guys know at least one move has to be made tomorrow, and Rick White and Brian Shackelford in particular didn't do themselves any favors tonight.

Bob Castellini was at the game, having flown in this afternoon, and he did not look real pleased when John Fay and I encountered him walking through the stands on our way to the clubhouse. Also, Wayne Krivsky was reportedly on the phone to Jerry Narron shortly after the game ended.

All that said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there are multiple moves made Wednesday. I don't think it'll measure up to the San Juan massacre of April '03, which saw the legendary Jimmy Anderson and Josias Manzanillo DFA'd and Brandon Larson optioned out, but it just feels like something bigger than simply optioning out Shackelford, for instance, needs to be done.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.

In the meantime, some good news for one of the blog's favorite guys. The Mets have signed Jacob Cruz to a minor league deal and sent him to extended spring training. I'm sure he'll be joining Dave Williams in Norfolk before too long.

posted by Marc at 12:36 AM 14 comments

Roy Tucker
05-31-2006, 11:15 AM
I think this is one of those moves that can incrementally improve the bullpen. Not a big splash, but if he's better than the previous 11th/12th guy, then we've gotten a smidge better. And low risk.

Keep on doing small moves like this, Kriv may be able to boost the bullpen performance 10-25% which isn't a bad thing.

MartyFan
05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Bob Castellini was at the game, having flown in this afternoon, and he did not look real pleased when John Fay and I encountered him walking through the stands on our way to the clubhouse. Also, Wayne Krivsky was reportedly on the phone to Jerry Narron shortly after the game ended.

OH MY GAWD!!

Can you believe this was written about the owner and GM of the Cincinnati Reds?

I LOVE LIFE!

redsfan30
05-31-2006, 11:19 AM
The part about Wayne Krivsky being on the phone to Jerry Narron right after the game is what jumps out at me the most out of Marc's post.

What could that be all about?

flyer85
05-31-2006, 11:19 AM
Esteban Yan's stats don't look too good, that's for sure. But neither did Brandon Phillips' when he came overthat is apples and oranges. Yan is a veteran with an established level of performance (replacement) while Phillips is a young guy who has some talent and potential upside.

With Yan you know what you are going to get which is exactly the reason I disliked White from day one. With Phillips you may not get performance any different than what you have seen in the past but at age 24 there is still likely to be some level of improvement.

redsfan30
05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
that is apples and oranges. Yan is a veteran with an established level of performance (replacement) while Phillips is a young guy who has some talent and potential upside.

With Yan you know what you are going to get which is exactly the reason I disliked White from day one. With Phillips you may not get performance any different than what you have seen in the past but at age 24 there is still likely to be some level of improvement.
True.

CaiGuy
05-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Yan?

most unimpressive. Trading crap for crap is very unexciting. I know it isn't a big deal when you give nothing up and don't have anything better, but stop making excuses. Get a real pitcher.

LincolnparkRed
05-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Yan?

most unimpressive. Trading crap for crap is very unexciting. I know it isn't a big deal when you give nothing up and don't have anything better, but stop making excuses. Get a real pitcher.

easier said than done before June 1st. I can't say I am excited by yan but I don't imagine there are a lot of quality relievers available yet this year.

MartyFan
05-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Cincinnati Reds
Placed RHP Matt Belisle on the 15-day disabled list; called up RHP Justin Germano from Triple-A Louisville.

Acquired RHP Esteban Yan from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and cash in exchange for RHP Kyle Edens.

BuckWoody
05-31-2006, 12:59 PM
I think this is one of those moves that can incrementally improve the bullpen. Not a big splash, but if he's better than the previous 11th/12th guy, then we've gotten a smidge better. And low risk.

Keep on doing small moves like this, Kriv may be able to boost the bullpen performance 10-25% which isn't a bad thing.
Ltlabner alluded to this a little bit too and I completely agree. If the guy is an upgrade to what you have now and the cost is not prohibitive, then it's a good move.

I've also heard quite a bit about optioning Shackelford back to Louisville (most notably from Marc's blog) and I'm not sure I'm sold on that. He didn't have a good outing last night but for the most part he's been lights out against lefties this year. Shak is the only guy we have in the pen to use as that "situational lefty". Mercker and Hammond are actually tougher on righties than lefties so far this year.

flyer85
05-31-2006, 01:01 PM
If the guy is an upgrade to what you have now his track record suggests he isn't. It would seem to be nothing more than a lateral move. Guys like White and Yan are the definition of replacement level.

BuckWoody
05-31-2006, 01:11 PM
his track record suggests he isn't. It would seem to be nothing more than a lateral move. Guys like White and Yan are the definition of replacement level.
Hard to debate against that but my point is that the move implies that Krivsky thinks that he is an upgrade. Maybe it's not a move that you or I would have made but our GM thought is was a good one.

flyer85
05-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Hard to debate against that but my point is that the move implies that Krivsky thinks that he is an upgrade.With acquisition and quick departure of Cody Ross I would suggest that the above statement may not be true. It believe it has reached a point where WK is feeling pressured to do something and willing to roll the dice and hope for the best even if the evidence suggests it won't help.

BuckWoody
05-31-2006, 01:23 PM
With acquisition and quick departure of Cody Ross I would suggest that the above statement may not be true. It believe it has reached a point where WK is feeling pressured to do something and willing to roll the dice and hope for the best even if the evidence suggests it won't help.
Hmmmmmm...could be but I hope WK isn't making moves just to appear like he's doing something. That's a slippery slope right there.

Maybe there's just a bunch of bad karma left over in the GM's office from DanO. They should clean the carpets or something. ;)

UPRedsFan
05-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Taking away Yan's worst 2 performances to compare him to White is interesting because White has never been left in the game for 3 innings to give up 5 runs. If he's getting hit, he usually gets pulled or only goes 1 inning.

In 21 appearances White has only avoided giving up runs 11 times
In 21 appearances White has only avoided getting hit 6 times. He has a 1.59 whip to show for it.

In 13 appearances for Yan he has avoided giving up runs 7 times and avoided getting hit 5 times with a 1.43 whip. So maybe you could say he's marginally better than White especially with the youth and velocity on his side.

Gallen5862
05-31-2006, 11:53 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2006/m05/d31/c1481707.jsp
Notes: Yan greeted by new club
05/31/2006 9:00 PM ET
By Kerry Walls / Special to MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Newly acquired Esteban Yan had just arrived at Wrigley Field hours before Wednesday's game and was walking through the clubhouse preparing to meet with reporters when he stopped to shake hands with new teammate Todd Coffey.
Such is the life of a well-traveled reliever thrust into new surroundings one day after being acquired by Cincinnati from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

"When I got put out for assignment, I knew something might happen," Yan said.

Manager Jerry Narron plans to work Yan in non-pressure situations to start.

"We'll just give him some time on the mound. We're not going to put him in the eighth or ninth inning with a one-run lead," Narron said.

"I like to pitch. When you're in the bullpen, you have to do any role the manager gives to you," Yan said. "I need to prove myself. I need to try to do my job."

To make room for Yan, the Reds optioned left-hander Brian Shackelford to Triple-A Louisville.

Shackelford was 1-0 with a 7.71 ERA in 14 games.

"Probably as much as anything, what hurt Shack was at-bats against right-handed hitters," Narron said.

Kearns healthy and hitting: After breaking into the Majors in 2002, hitting .315 with 13 homers and 56 RBIs in 107 games, Austin Kearns has spent the last three seasons battling injuries, playing time and inconsistency.

But now, with those nagging ailments in the rear-view mirror and an everyday spot secured in the outfield, Kearns is once again proving he can be one of the game's top young stars -- as his 10 homers, 30 RBIs and .286 average in 51 games indicate.

"This year, I've done a lot more stuff, as far as doing stuff in the cage," Kearns said. "I missed so much time [in recent years], it just takes a while to get it all back to feel like you can be consistent. It seems like the last couple years, it was just coming and going. It'd be there for a few days, then lost for a couple of weeks."

Last season, Kearns had to share playing time with Adam Dunn and Wily Mo Pena in the outfield.

"I stayed healthy all year last year. I just wasn't playing every day," he said. "So I think that's been the biggest thing, just getting consistent at-bats."

Kearns doesn't dwell on the myriad of injuries that limited him to just 258 games over the past three seasons.

"Some weird stuff has happened -- kind of some freak injuries," he said. "I've put all that stuff aside. I'm just looking forward."

Nuxhall admitted to hospital: Reds legend Joe Nuxhall was admitted into Mercy Fairfield Hospital on Tuesday morning with double pneumonia.

"He's doing OK. He's where he should have been about five days ago," his son, Kim Nuxhall, told the Dayton Daily News. "One of his good traits comes back to haunt him sometimes ... the tenacity of not giving up."

Nuxhall served as Reds broadcaster from 1968-2004.

Coming up: After a day off on Thursday, the Reds travel to Houston for an 8:05 p.m. ET game on Friday. Aaron Harang will oppose young Astros lefty Wandy Rodriguez.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs

Gallen5862
05-31-2006, 11:54 PM
I am glad to see that Yan will be used in non pressure situations until he gets settled in with the team. Its great Coffey was one of the first to greet him.