PDA

View Full Version : RE Closing the *Lets All Take a Deep Breath...* thread

Ga_Red
05-31-2006, 12:31 AM
An example of frustration with some mods

1) A rule was definitely broken in that thread
2) Mods were right to intervene
3) But why close the thread, thus punishing the innocent?
4) Since Names were used, inappropriately, Why not just delete the names used and give additional punishment to the perps as/if deemed necessary?

seems to me more a knee jerk reaction than an execution
of board policy. or is it just me??????

Ga_Red

paintmered
05-31-2006, 12:39 AM
An example of frustration with some mods

1) A rule was definitely broken in that thread
2) Mods were right to intervene
3) But why close the thread, thus punishing the innocent?
4) Since Names were used, inappropriately, Why not just delete the names used and give additional punishment to the perps as/if deemed necessary?

seems to me more a knee jerk reaction than an execution
of board policy. or is it just me??????

Ga_Red

1) The rule was definetly broken by many different posters and had momentum to continue in that direction. We agree.
2) We are well within our right to close threads provided we can justify it. R4L justified the closure of the thread (I just so happened to sneak a last post in there by coincidence). The thread will most likely re-open tomorrow.
3) Show me the innocent from the last few pages and I'll show you a re-opened thread.
4) I think I've already addressed that.

If you think it was a knee-jerk reaction (personally, I think R4L closing that thread was more than justified since multiple warnings were given), I encourage you to take the issue up with Boss privately.

The Baumer
05-31-2006, 12:39 AM
In this instance, there was a real violation of board rules. It should have been shut down. It's unfortunate, however, that many users' views were being ignored due to the difficulty of making a point without using first hand examples and names. Some, like myself, felt the need to make one last bold stance against the 'anti-new poster' movement, which had at that point begun to gain much momentum. I apologize to Boss and the mods in that thread for breaking the one rule. Hopefully the voices of the outspoken, like myself and others, can be replaced by a clear, strong statement from Boss and GUK.

reds44
05-31-2006, 12:41 AM
Oh boy. I feel bad for the mods.

KronoRed
05-31-2006, 12:44 AM
I blame the pitching

Reds4Life
05-31-2006, 12:46 AM
I closed the thread because it violated the only specific rule that Boss set out for it, no calling out of specific posters. As an aside from that, there are so many borderline posts on the last few pages of that thread I felt it was best for everyone involved to have a cooling off period. Moderation isn’t a mechanical black and white exercise; it requires judgment from the staff. It was a judgment call on my part, and I accept full responsibility for it.

The thread will probably be reopened tomorrow when everyone can come back with a clear head. If there is anything tomorrow like what I saw on the last few pages, it will be closed permanently.

gonelong
05-31-2006, 12:56 AM
Some, like myself, felt the need to make one last bold stance against the 'anti-new poster' movement, which had at that point begun to gain much momentum.

Yeah, everybody just hates the new guys for being new, because, ya know, none of us was ever new anywhere.

GL

Ga_Red
05-31-2006, 12:57 AM
Is closing a thread the only action a mod can take?
If so, then much of the recent criticism the mods have received on that thread, should be directed toward the
lack of a range of specific actions in the mod guidelines.

to paintme red:

I was one of the last few posters on that thread. Do
you have a problem with anythisn I said or the manner in which I expressed it? If not, I ask you to re-open the thread, as you said you would.

Ga_Red

Mario-Rijo
05-31-2006, 12:59 AM
I gotta tell ya, I know Boss set the rule and I understand why. However I think maybe some headway might have been being made. Maybe the fact that nobody ever calls anyone out specifically has alot to do with the frustration. What better place to kinda get some things off your chest than right there in a post discussing the issues we all have.

I might be completely off base here, and if so would welcome the criticism. But I usually feel much better after dressing someone down who I feel deserves it. I'm not saying I agree or disagree that any of the posters in this instance are correct or not, but I certainly feel it's important to clear the air at times.

Having said all that and not having the ability to post on that particular thread as it took me all night to read it, I think both some new & old posters were out of line at times!

Just my 2 cents as I am not sure I could have gone to sleep w/o posting on the subject. ;)

Reds4Life
05-31-2006, 01:08 AM
There are many actions a mod could take; I could have started handing out bans and editing and deleting posts. Then people would have whined about opinions being suppressed, etc. I didn't go that route, hence the judgment call.

It doesn't matter if your post conformed to the rules or not, there are more posts in that thread than just yours and that did violate the rules and spirit of the thread. The thread doesnít revolve around your post. It was closed; it will be reopened when the staff determines the time is right. This isn't up for discussion. Further, the idea that after every thread closure there is going to be yet another thread talking about the closure is going to change.

reds44
05-31-2006, 01:11 AM
Is it against the rules to question a mod's decision in public? Or am I getting different boards confused?

Honestly I would just break out the ban stick. Closing a thread really teaches nobody anything.

The Baumer
05-31-2006, 01:14 AM
IMO, the thread should have been closed. However, because of the nature of the issue and the many voices involved, closing the thread has created a seperate problem: a great many of posters are now forced to hold their tongue and bottle up their ideas; ideas that are possibly reasonable and helpful.

I am just saying that I understand why some feel the need to make threads like this one.

reds44
05-31-2006, 01:15 AM
IMO, the thread should have been closed. However, because of the nature of the issue and the many voices involved, closing the thread has created a seperate problem: a great many of posters are now forced to hold their tongue and bottle up their ideas; ideas that are possibly reasonable and helpful.

I am just saying that I understand why some feel the need to make threads like this one.
Paint already said it will probably be opend again tommorrow.

Ga_Red
05-31-2006, 01:27 AM
To Redsforlife

You are 1 mod.
is paintmered less a mod than you, in actuality, or
just in [i] your [/] mind? He volunteered, HE
would reopen that thread if an innocent were to be found.

Either accuse me, demean him, or retract your
aggressive, high-handed commentary directed to me.

And until BH or GIK say its inappropriate, I'll continue to
express displeasure with any mod's actions in a new post as I see fit, despite your protestations as to board changes
you will initiate.

KronoRed
05-31-2006, 01:32 AM
PaintmeRed has gone off to sleep so I think this should be let go until tomorrow.

jmcclain19
05-31-2006, 02:28 AM
Boy this place sure has turned into a boiling pot of pure joy lately.

We've gone from arguing about the game, to arguing about the arguing, to arguing about the arguing about the arguing.

Everyone needs to kiss and make up. Time to bury the hatchet.

It's draft time. My favorite time of year.

And, in my personal opinion, Draft time is when the best that Redszone has to offer comes out in all it's shining glory. Lets keep up that tradition.

Jpup
05-31-2006, 05:34 AM
what happenned? :confused:

nevermind...i don't want to know. glad I have been busy. :thumbup:

Edskin
05-31-2006, 06:59 AM
Honestly, I think lots of people LIKE the personal barbs and arguments. Sort of like the high school girls who say they "hate drama," but actually thrive on it.

After all, the Reds suck again, and at the end of the day, they really don't give us a whole lot to talk about. I think people are just frustrated and trying to find ANYTHING to post about.

SunDeck
05-31-2006, 07:20 AM
Man, I can't believe this. First, a thread addressing the downward spiral of the board karma, then a thread to talk about the thread about the downward spiral of the board karma.

What really gets me about all this is that so many people seem to forget that we all have one thing in common, a love of the Cincinnati Reds. That's got to be worth something, and I personally have no problem considering everyone here a friend first, assuming that each and every poster would extend the same courtesy to me.

How does this influence me when I post? Well, it means that I don't write stuff here that I wouldn't say to a friend. There are millions of ways to have dissagreements with your buddies without causing offense, without getting up in their face, without dressing them down in front of a bunch of others. In short, I offer the same respect to everyone here that I believe is due to me. If I don't get it, I will mention it, but it will not be in a way that escalates the confrontation.The first order of business from my perspective is to make sure that the offending party understands that I don't play that way. It's my own little golden rule- post kindly and treat others with respect.

In the end, maybe a strong performance by the Reds will change things. I remember how fun things were with this group back in the day, when the Reds were playing well and surprising the major leagues. But that was several years back, and we have endured subsequent managerial incompetence, injuries and just poor play by our favorite team. I hope the Reds get on a run, partly because I wish they were a better ballclub. But also, I wish they would get on a run so that everyone here would perk up and start looking on the brighter side of their fellow posters. Failing that, maybe some folks need to evaluate their own personal priorities a little bit.

MrCinatit
05-31-2006, 07:23 AM
IMHO, that thread had outlived its usefulness - it was created with great intentions, but weighed down.
I believe the same fate awaits this - its usefulness has also passed.

RFS62
05-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Has everyone gone insane?

This is a freakin' internet MESSAGE BOARD. This isn't a private meeting of the United Nations Security Council.

SunDeck, very nice post.

Heath
05-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Has everyone gone insane?
Yes - its that easy of diagnosis. Especially those throwing stuff at mods. Yikes.

This is a freakin' internet MESSAGE BOARD. This isn't a private meeting of the United Nations Security Council.

http://www.mfat.govt.nz/foreign/dis/disimages/flags.jpg

Heath
05-31-2006, 08:07 AM
Time to bury the hatchet.

Bring the shovels McClain. We'll even put to rest www.firedanobrien.com

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/22/b1/Vaughan_Bushnell_Rig_Builder_s_Hatchet_Garden_Tool s-resized200.jpg

RFS62
05-31-2006, 08:14 AM
http://www.mfat.govt.nz/foreign/dis/disimages/flags.jpg

Awww, geez. Now you've gone and done it.

You know it's against the board rules to ever show the RedsZone building. How are Boss and GIK supposed to have a super-secret lair if you're putting up pictures of it on the web?

But, since you've gone ahead and done it, I have a complaint. That damn Raisor has the entire penthouse floor for his many ho's and minions. Is that really necessary or fair to the rest of us?

zombie-a-go-go
05-31-2006, 08:18 AM
But, since you've gone ahead and done it, I have a complaint. That damn Raisor has the entire penthouse floor for his many ho's and minions. Is that really necessary or fair to the rest of us?

We allow him the penthouse so that he never ventures into sub-basement 3, where all the real decisions are made.

Do you have any idea what kind off havoc he would cause if we allowed him to help forge policy?

Goodbye RedsZone, Hello BordelloZone.

Now shush. ;)

paintmered
05-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Alright, I'm closing this thread because I'm reopening the original one.

*shudders*