PDA

View Full Version : Think we can get this guy?

NatiRedGals
05-31-2006, 11:19 AM
A PHONE CALL AWAY

There may not be another pitcher more locked in than Jeremy Sowers, who sports a 1.12 ERA. He's a very polished lefty who only needs a shot. Not sure when that's going to happen with the depth the Indians have, but he's ready now.

Like it states the Indians have ton of depth and of hes on fire? They could deffinally use some hitters id be willing to send some people over to recieve cause this dude can picth now:thumbup:

zombie-a-go-go
05-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Oh, the humanity. :explode:

NatiRedGals
05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
1. Jeremy Sowers, lhp, Indians (Triple-A Buffalo)
Sowers bowed to righthander Fausto Carmona as the first pitcher called up by the organization earlier this season, but there's no doubt who's number GM Mark Shapiro has on speed dial now. Sowers has dominated all season in Buffalo with 6-1, 1.12 numbers in 72 innings overall.

flyer85
05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
That ship sailed a number of years back when they drafted him but didn't sign him.

dabvu2498
05-31-2006, 11:22 AM
He was smart. He went to Vanderbilt.

Go Commodores!

redsfan30
05-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks Carl Lindner/Jim Bowden/John Allen.

MartyFan
05-31-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't think we muscle a deal for him...but still, major cred for the irony factor of this sort of deal.

Newman4
05-31-2006, 11:25 AM
From Wikipedia:

Jeremy Sowers......previously been selected out of high school in the MLB draft, 21st overall, by the Cincinnati Reds.

flyer85
05-31-2006, 11:28 AM
From Wikipedia:

Jeremy Sowers......previously been selected out of high school in the MLB draft, 21st overall, by the Cincinnati Reds.the sad part is the Reds really made no attempt to sign him. The Reds were willing to spend only extremely limited $$$ on signings and so Bowden drafted a guy he knew he couldn't sign unless he came up with top 5 cash. It was a complete punt of a first round draft pick.

MikeS21
05-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Best I remember, Jeremy's step-dad was handling "negotiations" and was high-balling the Reds - holding Vanderbilt over their head.

I blame Lindner and Bowden for not getting serious about signing Sowers, but by the same token, I don't think they should have had to overpay for him either. If Sowers got drafted at #21, then he should be signed for #21 money.

tbball10
05-31-2006, 11:35 AM
who knows, he may have needed his college years to really develop into the pitcher he is today.

registerthis
05-31-2006, 11:48 AM
who knows, he may have needed his college years to really develop into the pitcher he is today.

isn't that what rookie ball and Low-A is for?

flyer85
05-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Best I remember, Jeremy's step-dad was handling "negotiations" and was high-balling the Reds - holding Vanderbilt over their head.
He did that to everybody, he was considered a top5 talent and that's what it was going to take to get him to forego college. That's why he fell to the Reds at 21.

It is also a standard practice for players with high bonus demands to fall to a team that is actually willing to meet the demands(that wasn't the case with Sowers as the Reds had no intention of offering top 5 dollars). This is one of the main reasons the draft in baseball does not work for lower market teams, they pass on top talent because they are either a) are unwilling or b) cannot afford to pay what a player is demanding. That is why Jered Weaver now pitches for the Angels instead of the Reds or another small market team.

redsmetz
05-31-2006, 12:01 PM
the sad part is the Reds really made no attempt to sign him. The Reds were willing to spend only extremely limited $$$ on signings and so Bowden drafted a guy he knew he couldn't sign unless he came up with top 5 cash. It was a complete punt of a first round draft pick.

It was a complete waste of a draft pick. I just looked at the list of pitchers picked after him in that 1st round who might have helped the Reds by now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/draft?year=2001

Newman4
05-31-2006, 12:10 PM

I blame Lindner and Bowden for not getting serious about signing Sowers, but by the same token, I don't think they should have had to overpay for him either. If Sowers got drafted at #21, then he should be signed for #21 money.

Was that the same dad that used to get on here and bad mouth the Reds and discuss the negotiations?

Steve4192
05-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Was that the same dad that used to get on here and bad mouth the Reds and discuss the negotiations?
I dont remember him ever bad mouthing the Reds. He usually tried to avoid the subject and, when pressed, he only had nice things to say about the people he dealt with directly. He even made it very clear that Jeremy would be open to the idea of being drafted by the Reds again after his junior year.

flyer85
05-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Was that the same dad that used to get on here and bad mouth the Reds and discuss the negotiations?If he did he had good reason. Why draft a kid you have no intention to try and sign? It put Sowers in a position where he ended up with no real options to consider.

dabvu2498
05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
If he did he had good reason. Why draft a kid you have no intention to try and sign? It put Sowers in a position where he ended up with no real options to consider.
If I remember correctly Sowers' father was a physician who wanted him to attend an elite university (brother went to Yale) and would only allow him to sign if he was going to get Top 5 money. Organizations shied away because he didn't throw 95+. I saw him twice at Vandy. He had/has craft.

HotCorner
05-31-2006, 02:50 PM
To think we could have a rotation that sports Sowers and Kazmir.:angry: :(

captainmorgan07
05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
heck tell wayne to tell um to send us trade ideas

KronoRed
05-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Sowers was never going to sign with us, no matter what we offered and I still think that Kazmir tears something if we draft him ;)

deltachi8
06-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Nice write up on Sowers in today's Buffalo News:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060619/1004002.asp

Herd's ace works hard at perfection

6/19/2006

By JERRY SULLIVAN

Jeremy Sowers admits he's always been something of a perfectionist. Maybe it had something to do with being an identical twin, and having a similarly talented and competitive brother to measure himself against on a daily basis.
It is not an easy thing for a baseball pitcher, who labors in a world where luck and circumstance can ruin the most well-laid plans, and where a couple of inches can mean the difference between a long fly out and a game-deciding home run.

So Sowers, the lefty ace of the Buffalo Bisons' staff, doesn't see himself as a star on the rise, but as a humble practitioner of the craft, simply trying to get better every day.

"There's so much to learn about this game, and I'm still learning," said Sowers, whose brother, Josh, is a pitcher in the Blue Jays system. "There's always something I can work on, whether it be controlling the running game, getting more consistency on my change-up, commanding my slider a little better, getting in better shape . . ."

The way Sowers talks, you'd think he was struggling to stay in the game. While no one can be perfect, he's been pretty close this year. Over the first two months of the season, he's put together one of the most remarkable stretches of any hurler in Buffalo history.

Sowers, 23, is 8-1 with a 1.27 ERA, easily the best in the International League. In May, he had an 0.88 ERA, and threw 29 consecutive innings without allowing an earned run. He has allowed one home run all season in 92 innings of work.

At this point, the only question is why the parent Indians haven't summoned him to the big leagues. Cleveland is fading from contention in the AL Central. The Indians are 11th in the league in ERA. Why wouldn't they promote the hottest pitcher in the minor leagues, a guy who is poised beyond his years and apparently ready for the big jump?

"I don't know any of the specifics," said Herd manager Torey Lovullo. "He has put himself in a really good position. It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when."

Sowers is in no hurry. He's confident that he can get batters out at the next level, but he respects the judgment of the Cleveland front office, widely regarded as one of the best in the game.

"All I can do is go out and pitch every five days and continue to put in their minds that maybe I deserve an opportunity," said Sowers, who is 6-foot-1, 180 pounds. "I would like to think I'd be effective, if I could maintain the command and composure as I've done here."

"I understand that being a perfectionist keeps you striving for the next step," Sowers said. "You know it's unattainable, so you can never be content with where you are in the game. You have to let a certain degree of realism trump over that perfectionism."

He's a remarkably bright kid. He could have turned pro out of high school in Louisville, Ky., but went to Vanderbilt to get a college education.

Last year, the Indians drafted him sixth overall after his junior year at Vandy. He shot through the system last year, going 14-4 at three levels, including one game at Buffalo. After the season, he went back and got his degree in political science.

Sowers said he'd like to be in politics some day, though he couldn't see himself running for office.

Sowers has good stuff, a low 90s fastball and terrific command. But as Lovullo said, it's his aptitude for pitching that sets him apart.

"My stuff isn't electric by any stretch of the imagination," Sowers said, "so I guess what I rely on is knowing what to throw in the right situation, or how to eliminate a big inning, which is huge."

Maybe his stuff isn't electric, but the results have staggered the imagination. Sowers' next start at Dunn Tire Park is Tuesday night. Catch him while you can. The smart money says he won't be around much longer.

e-mail: jsullivan@buffnews.com

Redhook
06-19-2006, 11:19 AM
It'd be nice if there was some rule out there where you would still be able to sign a guy later on if you originally drafted him. I don't know how it would be possible, but it certainly stinks that he's not pitching for us right now.

REDREAD
06-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks Carl Lindner/Jim Bowden/John Allen.

Yes, the same group who also let Kazmir and Markalis slip away. Cheapskates. I am so relieved that we have a new owner. Lindner and Allen were the pits.

REDREAD
06-19-2006, 11:35 AM

In all fairness though, Sowers told every team in the draft what the pricetag to skip college was BEFORE the draft. It was high, but the Reds knew his price tag when they drafted him. I remember Sowers being surprised the Reds drafted him. Sowers planned to go to college unless some team bowled him over with money. The Reds used that knowledge to convienently punt the pick.

Jr's Boy
06-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Wow, who's that honey in your sig pic?