PDA

View Full Version : Will Clemens Set A Trend?

shredda2000
05-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Now that the Rocket has signed to play 2/3 of a year for $14 million, do you see other aging superstars signing part-year deals to prolong their careers (e.g. Barry Bonds)?

Please discuss...

edabbs44
05-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Now that the Rocket has signed to play 2/3 of a year for $14 million, do you see other aging superstars signing part-year deals to prolong their careers (e.g. Barry Bonds)?

Please discuss...
I hope Clemens goes 0-11 with a 5.87 ERA. Please discuss...

Red Leader
05-31-2006, 12:58 PM

Please discuss...

It is interesting. I could see Bonds doing something similar next year. In a way, for the player it is better to sign on for the last few months of the season and then retiring at the end of the season, rather than playing from the start, realizing you no longer have it, and then retiring before finishing the season. I could see other players doing this in the future, not just Clemens and Bonds.

Red Leader
05-31-2006, 01:00 PM
I also hope Clemens gets rocked upon his return.

zombie-a-go-go
05-31-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't like the idea; it's quite mercenary.

Yet I could see it happening again - a real diffference maker is likely to get good offers from teams making a playoff push. Total seller's market. And they only have to work half the season to boot.

harangatang
05-31-2006, 02:32 PM
I would love to see rules against something like this, but I can't blame Clemens he's abiding by the rules.

westofyou
05-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Ted Lyons would like it.

oneupper
05-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Well...it's pretty much like what the "seller" teams have been doing yearly at the deadline.
Except in this case i'ts the player peddling himself.

I don't see it really happening much. Denial is too strong. Few players will realize that they can't do it for a full season anymore. Heck, most players have to be pushed into retirement (see Larkin, Barry).

redsfan30
05-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I think it'd be much harder for a hitter to re-enter in mid-season than it would be for a pitcher.

It is usually believed that pitchers are "ahead" of hitters at the beginning of camp in February. Imagine what it would be like for a hitter to re-enter the league and face pitchers who have long since rounded into mid-season form.

CySeymour
05-31-2006, 02:46 PM
I would love to see rules against something like this, but I can't blame Clemens he's abiding by the rules.

Really, what kind of rule can outlaw this? It isn't uncommon for a player not to get a ST invite, go to an independant team or a Mexican League team, and get signed mid-year.

dabvu2498
05-31-2006, 02:50 PM
Really, what kind of rule can outlaw this? It isn't uncommon for a player not to get a ST invite, go to an independant team or a Mexican League team, and get signed mid-year.
Plus, he could have signed with any team other than Houston anytime after his previous deal ran out. Free agency is a wonderful thing (for the players).

KronoRed
05-31-2006, 04:26 PM
I'd like it if multiyear deals were done away with and everyone worked on 1 year deals :D