PDA

View Full Version : Vern Ruhle?

VR
05-31-2006, 01:32 PM
I haven't seen any updates on his health and expected return...anything in the local news about him?

I think getting him back would do wonders for the bullpen. Tom Hume (hopefully the next pitching coach) has done a fine job with the starters, but his absence fulltime with the bullpen staff has left a huge hole. His ability to get chaff to produce year after year has been amazing. When the bullpen has struggled in the past, the common culprit is that they are being depended on for 3-5 innings night after night after night because of shoddy starting pitching. With the propensity of starters to go longer this year, I think he'd excel, even with mediocre quality.

I'd love to see Ruhle back to lead the overall effort soon, not just because of his professional approach, but getting Tom to drill down on this bullpen and get the one on one time he's had in the past.

Unassisted
05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
I'll second this. I'd like to see Verne back at the pitching helm. The lack of news is a little troubling, but the man is entitled to his privacy.

VR
05-31-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I hope I didn't sound insensitive to the man's health, I just haven't heard any kind of update on the health or expected return...hopefully it's still relatively minor as first reported.....as there was originally talk of him missing only a couple of weeks.

Jpup
07-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Anyone know how Vern is doing?

Sea Ray
07-06-2006, 11:20 AM
The reports are he's undergoing a bone marrow transplant at MD Anderson in Texas, specifically in his case it's a stem cell transplant. I currently have a cousin going through a similar procedure in Seattle. It's grueling and you hope to come out of it with your life. Being able to work again is a bonus.

I would say this year is out for Vern's return. Next year is a possibility but I would doubt it. If the Reds' brass has any sense, they're preparing for life w/o Vern Ruhle.

Jpup
07-06-2006, 11:35 AM
The reports are he's undergoing a bone marrow transplant at MD Anderson in Texas, specifically in his case it's a stem cell transplant. I currently have a cousin going through a similar procedure in Seattle. It's grueling and you hope to come out of it with your life. Being able to work again is a bonus.

I would say this year is out for Vern's return. Next year is a possibility but I would doubt it. If the Reds' brass has any sense, they're preparing for life w/o Vern Ruhle.

I certainly wish Vern and his family the best of luck. Hopefully Krivsky in looking around for a suitable replacement. Thanks for the update Sea Ray.

MartyFan
07-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Here's to Vern!

KronoRed
07-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Good luck to him

Gallen5862
07-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Get well Vern!

Team Clark
07-07-2006, 10:40 AM
There's a better than 90% chance that Vern is not coming back. He will remian under contract so that he will continue to receive benefits. His situation is dire and his career as a coach is more than likely over. Great guy who will be sorely missed.

Phenomenal teacher, excellent coach and an all around good guy.

WVRedsFan
07-07-2006, 11:29 AM
There's a better than 90% chance that Vern is not coming back. He will remian under contract so that he will continue to receive benefits. His situation is dire and his career as a coach is more than likely over. Great guy who will be sorely missed.

That's sad to hear on a number of fronts. One, for his health and his family. I can't imagine what they are going through. Second, for the Reds. I thought he had helped the pitching staff.

And I'll go on record that the new pitching coach, if that comes to be, should be a proven championship-type coach and not Tommy Hune. Surely, we can look outside the "lifers" here and find a proven winner. Can't we?

Sea Ray
07-07-2006, 05:09 PM
That's sad to hear on a number of fronts. One, for his health and his family. I can't imagine what they are going through. Second, for the Reds. I thought he had helped the pitching staff.

And I'll go on record that the new pitching coach, if that comes to be, should be a proven championship-type coach and not Tommy Hune. Surely, we can look outside the "lifers" here and find a proven winner. Can't we?

Where's Grant Jackson these days? Anyone know where he is? I thought he did a good job a few years back coaching our AAA pitchers

RFS62
07-07-2006, 05:17 PM
This is very sad to hear.

Good luck, Vern.

cumberlandreds
07-08-2006, 10:02 AM

Very sad to hear. I wish him and his family the best. I know what they are going through. My dad was fighting cancer this time last year and eventually lost it. My prayers are with Ruhle and his family.

Unassisted
07-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I think the Reds would be much better off with Verne guiding the arms again and I will keep pulling for him to beat the odds and return to his job.

Where's Grant Jackson these days? Anyone know where he is? I thought he did a good job a few years back coaching our AAA pitchers

Grant is the pitching coach for the AAA Rochester Red Wings (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/leagues/AAA_international/rochester/index.html). It puzzles me how he's remained down at the AAA level for over a decade.

KronoRed
07-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Sad to hear.