PDA

View Full Version : Royals fire Baird

Tornon
05-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Just saw it across ESPN's bottomline. Braves assistant GM Dayton Moore to be the replacement

Jpup
05-31-2006, 03:14 PM
Just saw it across ESPN's bottomline. Braves assistant GM Dayton Moore to be the replacement

good move, but they need a new owner too.

captainmorgan07
05-31-2006, 03:15 PM
i agree good move

BRM
05-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Here is the article from ESPN.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Royals are replacing general manager Allard Baird with Dayton Moore of the Atlanta Braves, The Associated Press has learned.

The Royals reached a deal to hire Moore, an assistant general manager with Atlanta, according to a person close to the negotiations. The agreement will give the 39-year-old Moore complete control of baseball operations for the floundering Royals, who are on pace to lose 100 games for the fourth time in five years.

The Kansas City Star reports that Moore will receive a five-year contract.

The source asked not to be identified because an official announcement was not expected until later Wednesday.

A native of Wichita, Kan., Moore joined the Braves as a scout in 1994 and was named assistant general manager for baseball operations in 2005.

He will assume his new duties next week, after the amateur draft June 6-7. The paper reported that assistant general manager Muzzy Jackson will replace Baird on an interim basis

Baird's dismissal was not a surprise. The Royals entered Wednesday with the worst record in the major leagues (13-37), and Baird has said he expected to be fired.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2464544)

vaticanplum
05-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Wow! bout time. I know some people who are going to be throwing down tonight.

cincyinco
05-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Hopefully Moore got a guarantee of complete control in writing like he apparently requested. He'll need it.

Sometimes I feel bad being a Reds fan.. then I think, "well, I could be a Royals fan.."

Hopefully Moore can turn it around. KC fans really deserve it.

Royals Fan
05-31-2006, 03:23 PM
I am here in the KC area, the sports talk show are exciteid aobut Moore and the Glass family giving up baseball control. Moore was under John Suerholtz for 12 years and he heard the term the Royals Way from him. Good move my opinion.

captainmorgan07
05-31-2006, 03:33 PM
wondering how fast will see a roster shakeup in kc im assuming the day he gets in there ppl will start to go

Team Clark
05-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Dayton is the right guy for the Royals job. It's a shame he has to start out with such a bad team but it's a start. Look for his name to resurface when Schuerholz finally calls it quits in Atlanta.

KronoRed
05-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Shame Dan O couldn't apply for the job, I bet he could even do a better job then Baird

Outshined_One
05-31-2006, 04:28 PM
I wonder if this will have any impact on who they draft at #1 overall...

registerthis
05-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Johnny Footstool should be happy. :)

Definitely a good move. I've never seen a franchise as run into the ground as the Royals have been the last 15 years. Worse than the Bungles of the 90s, IMO.

Krusty
06-01-2006, 12:34 AM
If there was one GM who made more bad personnel moves than Baird, that man was Dan O'Brien.

RichRed
06-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Shame Dan O couldn't apply for the job, I bet he could even do a better job then Baird

I prefer the idea of DanO staying in the National League, as long as it's far, far away from Cincy. :)