PDA

View Full Version : Hey look a win! 5/31/06 Reds @ Cubs Game Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

pedro
05-31-2006, 10:42 PM
You're going to marry a carrot, aren't you?

It's a slippery slope isn't it?

Matt700wlw
05-31-2006, 10:42 PM
That was nice...definitely needed it....Reds still in the hunt and go play the team in front following a stint of the team behind.

4 out of the next 6 would be huge :pray:

Then the Cubs to town....

TheBigLebowski
05-31-2006, 10:44 PM
going about as well as your divorce from reality but thanks for asking. :)

You're the one that continuously cites Kearns' stats every time someone calls him out for not delivering in a clutch situation.

Grounding out to the SS, regardless of how hard the ball was hit, is counted as an OUT. That's a stat for you. That, my friend, is also reality.

Just so we're clear...I like Kearns...probably not as much as you, but I like him. However, I don't think he's a good clutch hitter and, if we could get a nice return for him in a trade, I think we should probably pull the trigger.

George Foster
That was nice...definitely needed it....Reds still in the hunt and go play the team in front following a stint of the team behind.

4 out of the next 6 would be huge :pray:

Then the Cubs to town....

4 out of 6 would be huge, but I would take 3-3.

Big Klu
Postgame update:

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds All-Time Home Run Leaders
1. Johnny Bench - 389
2. Frank Robinson - 324
3. Tony Perez - 287
4. Ted Kluszewski - 251
5. George Foster - 244
6. Eric Davis - 203
7. Barry Larkin - 198
8. Vada Pinson - 186
9. Adam Dunn - 175
10. Wally Post - 172
11. Gus Bell - 160
12. Joe Morgan - 152
12. Pete Rose - 152
14. Lee May - 147
15. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 145
16. Dan Driessen - 133
17. Reggie Sanders - 125
18. Ernie Lombardi - 120
19. Sean Casey - 118
20. Frank McCormick - 110
21. Dave Parker - 107
22. Chris Sabo - 104
23. Dave Concepcion - 101
24. Gordy Coleman - 98
25. Paul O'Neill - 96

George Foster
05-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Freel will be the lead-off hitter Friday...right?

CTA513
another opposite field hit by Dunn...wow

Dunn would probably have 2 opposite field doubles tonight if the Umps werent blind.

Falls City Beer
Hell, I'll take one game of good at-bats throughout the lineup.

Cyclone792
Excellent outing by Milton, excellent work by the defense all night long and a phenomenal save by Coffey to record the final four outs!

Seriously, there's a reason why if we're trying to preserve a very close game in both the 8th and 9th innings, I want Coffey in the game if he's available to pitch on that given night.

Great win tonight!

Matt700wlw
4 out of 6 would be huge, but I would take 3-3.

I want both series...I'm greedy :D

CTA513
05-31-2006, 10:46 PM
That is how you close a game!!

1 1/3 Innings and only needed to throw 12 pitches.

:thumbup:

pedro
05-31-2006, 10:47 PM
You're the one that continuously cites Kearns' stats every time someone calls him out for not delivering in a clutch situation.

Grounding out to the SS, regardless of how hard the ball was hit, is counted as an OUT. That's a stat for you. That, my friend, is also reality.

Just so we're clear...I like Kearns...probably not as much as you, but I like him. However, I don't think he's a good clutch hitter and, if we could get a nice return for him in a trade, I think we should probably pull the trigger.

Just trying to keep things on an even keel. This football fan manic depressive attitude gets tiring over a long season.

I'd trade him too BTW. The Reds need pitching and Deno has played himself into the lineup.

George Foster
05-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Dunn would probably have 2 opposite field doubles tonight if the Umps werent blind.

I got a big screen and I would have swore I saw some chalk fly on the slow motion replay..I think it was a hit.

George Foster
05-31-2006, 10:49 PM
Just trying to keep things on an even keel. This football fan manic depressive attitude gets tiring over a long season.

I'd trade him to BTW. The Reds need pitching and Deno has played himself into the lineup.

I agree..Deno needs to be in the Show, and I can't believe no one wants Kearns with his low salary.

pedro
05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
I agree..Deno needs to be in the Show, and I can't believe no one wants Kearns with his low salary.

Kearns is very tradeable IMO. Especially while he is doing well and staying healthy, two things that haven't happened at the same time in a while.

vaticanplum
05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Who don't you love? :help: :help: :laugh:

I'm not picky, all they have to do is win. Why can't they see how simple that is?

George Foster
05-31-2006, 10:51 PM

If Kearns is traded, it would really screw up the charity Golf outing I am helping to organize in July...he's the "headliner."

Big Klu
05-31-2006, 10:53 PM
I agree with Chris on this one. Coffey is the "relief ace", which means that you use him whenever the game is on the line. If that is the seventh or eighth inning, so be it. Also, if that means that Weathers (or Hammond, who is also pitching very well) has to clean up the ninth, then that's what has to happen.

reds44
05-31-2006, 10:53 PM
The Reds need a contact guy like Deno much more then a need a power guy like AK.

I am on the bandwagon for tading AK.

Big Klu
05-31-2006, 10:54 PM
The Reds need a contact guy like Deno much more then a need a power guy like AK.

I am on the bandwagon for tading AK.

I am ambivalent. It depends on what the Reds get in return.

pedro
05-31-2006, 10:57 PM
I am ambivalent. It depends on what the Reds get in return.

It would have to be a good return or I'd say no too.

TeamBoone
05-31-2006, 10:58 PM

Kearns isn't all about offense; he's also the best defender on this team. The Reds need him!

cincyinco
05-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Kearns isn't all about offence; he's also the best defender on this team. The Reds need him!

Assuming that Kearns can keep up all season long, and stays healthy, I think he's invaluable to the Reds.

TheBigLebowski
05-31-2006, 11:00 PM

I'd trade him too BTW. The Reds need pitching and Deno has played himself into the lineup.

Dude...you seem to forget that you and I suffer from the same affliction...we are Cincinnati Sports fans.

This disease manifests itself in many different ways. I was infected by the "overly negative/'we're always gonna stink" strain whereas you seem to be plagued by the "hey, these guys are all trying, and we'll get 'em tomorrow" strain. The symptoms of the disease are different, but the long-term effects are the same.

One thing that The Cincinnati Sports Fan has (and will likely always have) is the right to complain. Why? Because we have suffered through the likes of David Klingler, KiJana Carter, Bill Scherrer, Junior Kennedy, Jimmy Anderson, Dave Shula, Mike Brown, Freaking Riverfront, Dan Wilkinson, Bruce Coslet, Jimmy Haynes, Bob Boone, Dave Miley, Chris Henry, Dan F'ing O'Brien, Peter Warrick, AJ Nicholson, Reinard Wilson (got a lot of those filthy 'noles out in one breath), Akili Smith, Dick LeBeau, Tim Birtsas, Dave Williams, Ron Robinson, and The Kimo Von Oelhoffen (former Bengal) Hit on Carson Palmer.

Oh yeah...Ken Griffey JR fell apart the second we acquired him.

Sorry, but I'm still "Bitter - Party of One."

TeamBoone
05-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Coffey is the "relief ace", which means that you use him whenever the game is on the line. If that is the seventh or eighth inning, so be it. Also, if that means that Weathers (or Hammond, who is also pitching very well) has to clean up the ninth, then that's what has to happen.

If Coffey is dubbed the official closer, Weathers can slide into long relief. He's perfectly suited for that role.

Caveat Emperor
05-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Excellent outing by Milton, excellent work by the defense all night long and a phenomenal save by Coffey to record the final four outs!

Seriously, there's a reason why if we're trying to preserve a very close game in both the 8th and 9th innings, I want Coffey in the game if he's available to pitch on that given night.

Great win tonight!

Coffey was nails in the 8th getting that strikeout to end the inning. His pitch sequence was fantastic, going up and in on 0-2 for a defensive foul off and then recording the strikeout down and away.

And, can't say enough about Milton tonight -- did what the team is supposed to do to the judy-hitting Cubs: shuts them down and just runs out of gas at the end of the start. I'll take 2 ER on 7 2/3 IP every time out.

Good to take a win away before heading out to STL to play a tough Cardinals team. Game 1 vs. St. Louis is going to be big -- the team has a chance to build on the momentum from this win.

pedro
05-31-2006, 11:08 PM
Dude...you seem to forget that you and I suffer from the same affliction...we are Cincinnati Sports fans.

This disease manifests itself in many different ways. I was infected by the "overly negative/'we're always gonna stink" strain whereas you seem to be plagued by the "hey, these guys are all trying, and we'll get 'em tomorrow" strain. The symptoms of the disease are different, but the long-term effects are the same.

One thing that The Cincinnati Sports Fan has (and will likely always have) is the right to complain. Why? Because we have suffered through the likes of David Klingler, KiJana Carter, Bill Scherrer, Junior Kennedy, Jimmy Anderson, Dave Shula, Mike Brown, Freaking Riverfront, Dan Wilkinson, Bruce Coslet, Jimmy Haynes, Bob Boone, Dave Miley, Chris Henry, Dan F'ing O'Brien, Peter Warrick, AJ Nicholson, Reinard Wilson (got a lot of those filthy 'noles out in one breath), Akili Smith, Dick LeBeau, Tim Birtsas, Dave Williams, Ron Robinson, and The Kimo Von Oelhoffen (former Bengal) Hit on Carson Palmer.

Oh yeah...Ken Griffey JR fell apart the second we acquired him.

Sorry, but I'm still "Bitter - Party of One."

Oh trust me, I expect things to go wrong, I just can't hang on every pitch like that, I'd go insane.

I'm just more of the view that players will have ups and downs throughout a long season and that it's hard to judge guys based on small samples sizes or their performance during a slump.

ANYWAY. Good win tonight.

pedro
05-31-2006, 11:08 PM
Meanwhile my fantasy team is in a 5 for 63 tailpsin.

TheBigLebowski
05-31-2006, 11:09 PM
My fantasy team employs Dunn and Lopez...so I've been tumbling lately.

pedro
05-31-2006, 11:10 PM

I have Lopez, Kearns, and Encarnacion.

TeamBoone
05-31-2006, 11:13 PM
92 pitches for Milton tonight... 64 of them were strikes!

TheBigLebowski
I have Lopez, Kearns, and Encarnacion.

I'd bet you've been pleasantly surprised with FeLo's SB production to date but, as with the Reds in general, I fear we're witnessing the regression to the mean.

WebScorpion

Mine employs Milton and Coffey, so it was a good night for our team!:thumbup:

reds44
Kearns isn't all about offense; he's also the best defender on this team. The Reds need him!
Our second baseman has something to say about that.

Well before I say we should trade AK, how good of a defender is Deno?

CTA513
05-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Liriano has a no hitter going against the Angels after 5 innings.
Hes walked 3 batters and his pitch count is around 74.

Yes, I know I probably just jinxed him.

:)

vaticanplum
05-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Holy cannoli, Mussina just wrapped up a complete game in Detroit, 101 pitches. Yankees win 6-1.

smith288
06-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Holy cannoli, Mussina just wrapped up a complete game in Detroit, 101 pitches. Yankees win 6-1.
Mussina's on my fantasy team...so i should be back leading my opponent by tomorrow.

reds44
06-01-2006, 01:19 AM
That was a much needed W. 3 best pitchers going in Houston, we need to win the series.

registerthis
06-01-2006, 11:00 AM
A minor pet peeve from last night's game:

Is it not possible for George Grande to pronounce the name "Zambrano"? He kept pronouncing the middle part like you would say "bran", as in "oat bran." Chris Welsh was able to pronounce Carlos's name correctly, but George got it wrong every single time.

Sorry, I don't normally gripe about petty stuff like this, but that just annoyed the heck outta me. Anyone else notice that?

KittyDuran
06-01-2006, 12:23 PM
A minor pet peeve from last night's game:

Is it not possible for George Grande to pronounce the name "Zambrano"? He kept pronouncing the middle part like you would say "bran", as in "oat bran." Chris Welsh was able to pronounce Carlos's name correctly, but George got it wrong every single time.

Sorry, I don't normally gripe about petty stuff like this, but that just annoyed the heck outta me. Anyone else notice that?You'd been real annoyed with Sparky...;)