PDA

View Full Version : Bob Brenly On WGN

Hap
05-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Right before the pitch that became Griffey's HR, Brenly said it would be a good spot for Griffey to lay down a bunt.

KYRedsFan
06-01-2006, 12:40 AM
He was on Dunn alot tonight about the strikeouts, especially looking. What's his moniker on here?

Outshined_One
06-01-2006, 01:08 AM
Right before the pitch that became Griffey's HR, Brenly said it would be a good spot for Griffey to lay down a bunt.

Poor man has been watching too much of the Cubs this season.

Jr's Boy
06-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Brenley and Casper,the two worst baseball broadcasters on the air.Plus they even have a podcast they advertise.:bash:

Chip R
06-01-2006, 01:37 AM
I read something last week that suggested that if Big Dust is fired, that Brenly should replace him.

reds44
06-01-2006, 01:42 AM
:laugh:

It was halarious! He was in the middle of saying it and Griffey jacked it. He goes "Nevermind" then Len said "The Cubs wish he would have laid down a bunt".

baha

top6
06-01-2006, 02:13 AM
the sad thing is Brenley is pretty much the best tv announcer the cubs have have had since i moved here in 2000.

Jr's Boy
06-01-2006, 02:15 AM
the sad thing is Brenley is pretty much the best tv announcer the cubs have have had since i moved here in 2000.

Steve Stone was good.

TOBTTReds
06-01-2006, 02:22 AM
Raise your hand if you watched WGN instead of FSN tonight when you had a chance to watch either. (Even though the WGN picture was worse, atleast at my house).

:wave:

Outshined_One
06-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Brenley and Casper,the two worst baseball broadcasters on the air.Plus they even have a podcast they advertise.:bash:

Actually, I'll give them credit. Kasper was fresh-arrived from Florida last season, where no one even bothered watching the games. He's done a pretty good job getting a feel for the Chicago job, given the bigger market and more scrutinizing fans. He's also frequented a bunch of the Cubs fan sites (Cubs.com, NSBB, Desipio, etc) and done interviews on them, which is pretty cool. Plus, he's made an effort to incorporate stuff like OBP and OPS into his broadcasts. That and he had the easiest broadcasting act to follow in Chip Caray as PBP man.

Brenly...well, he's got the opposite problem. Steve Stone was tremendous, albeit a tad gimmicky. Brenly is decent and not as bad as, say, Joe Carter. He's improved from last season and actually has made some decent points in the times I've watched. He's slightly above average compared to most of the other color guys out there, in my opinion.

remdog
06-01-2006, 03:04 AM
Steve Stone was good.

:laugh: Good one! :laugh:

Rem

billy117
06-01-2006, 03:13 AM
Steve Stone was good.
That's hillarious...........i think steve stone lives to rip on the reds, if i ever saw him in person, it would take a lot to restrain myself from performing an act of violence on him.

KronoRed
06-01-2006, 03:35 AM
Raise your hand if you watched WGN instead of FSN tonight when you had a chance to watch either. (Even though the WGN picture was worse, atleast at my house).

:wave:
*hand raised*

Nice to take a night off of the FSN Guys, even if the cub guys are just as bad.

RedFanAlways1966
06-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Hey now... this Ohio University alum doesn't like to see a fellow Bobcat get ripped. We all know that Bob Brenly studied hard while at Ohio U., right?

Before that pitch to Junior he might have had a Bong-Hill flashback.... :thumbup:

Roy Tucker
06-01-2006, 09:06 AM
I know I'm risking crossing the streams here, but the Cubs announcers were all over Dunn for taking so many pitches.

And I did blip back and forth between WGN and FSO. I thought the WGN guys were pretty bland. I preferred the old ungodly opinionated homer ones because it was easy to get a good case of the goo against them and yell at the TV.

Sea Ray
06-01-2006, 09:20 AM
That's hillarious...........i think steve stone lives to rip on the reds, if i ever saw him in person, it would take a lot to restrain myself from performing an act of violence on him.

Yeah, I recall a couple years ago when Steve Stone was ripping the Cubs' hitters for not being able to hit our junkballer, Aaron Harang.

Say what you want about Harang but he has good stuff, strikes out a lot of hitters and hits 93 MPH without too much trouble. That's not a junk baller.

Kind of makes me wonder how much he knows about baseball...

IowaRed
06-01-2006, 09:31 AM
For those of us Cub haters, it was a classic moment. I had to call my wife in from the other room so I could rewind the tape and she could hear it.

Steve Stone was good? Wow, I haven't seen/heard somebody say that in a long time if ever. WGN has an amazing history of awful announcers

Hap
06-01-2006, 10:17 AM
he might have had a Bong-Hill flashback.... :thumbup:

That's gotta be the first Bong Hill reference in the history of this forum.

For those of you who don't know, the word bong is not referring to the sound of a bell and it is not referring to the act of procreation.

TeamBoone
06-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I know I'm risking crossing the streams here, but the Cubs announcers were all over Dunn for taking so many pitches.

Ummmm, isn't that a positive for a batter?

The opposing team may not like it, just like they don't like it when they get a hit... I've never heard of an opposing player being ragged on for getting a hit so why would they do it when the guy has a good AB (even if he strikes out, he's worked the pitcher).

I just don't see that as something to neg a guy for.

Danny Serafini
06-01-2006, 10:37 AM
It was funny listening to them hype up Tony Womack's versatility - "He's played extensively at short, he's played some right field, some left field, I'm sure he could play out in center with his speed and instincts." Good luck with that one guys!

IowaRed
06-01-2006, 10:57 AM

The opposing team may not like it, just like they don't like it when they get a hit... I've never heard of an opposing player being ragged on for getting a hit so why would they do it when the guy has a good AB (even if he strikes out, he's worked the pitcher).

TB, If I remember correctly they were specifically talking about Dunn taking fastball strikes. What they deemed to be hittable fastball strikes that he should be swinging at.

Jr's Boy
06-01-2006, 03:22 PM

Rem
I've had issues with Stone my self,dont get me wrong.I meant compared to the two they got now.

Roy Tucker
06-01-2006, 03:33 PM

The Cub announcer said something along the lines of "Dunn drives the Cinci coaches crazy, he has such great power but takes so many hittable pitches. He could be such a great player if he swung the bat more and expanded his strike zone".

And right on cue, Dunn takes 2 fastballs right down the pike to get down 0-2, watches a ball, and then watches a 1-2 fastball paint the outside corner. The guy goes on about "and Dunn strikes out on 3 called strikes, boy, he must drive Jerry Narron crazy", blah blah blah.

pedro
06-01-2006, 03:37 PM
That's gotta be the first Bong Hill reference in the history of this forum.

Not the first. RedFanAlways1966 suggested I go back up there once. :)

RedFanAlways1966
06-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Not the first. RedFanAlways1966 suggested I go back up there once. :)

Must have been the "old board"! :laugh:

Perhaps Bob was taking classes at North Green too?!?! ;)

RichRed
06-01-2006, 05:26 PM
It was funny listening to them hype up Tony Womack's versatility - "He's played extensively at short, he's played some right field, some left field, I'm sure he could play out in center with his speed and instincts." Good luck with that one guys!

Kasper also said something to the effect that the emergence of Tony Womack made it easier to trade Jerry Hairston. I got a kick out of that one.

realreds1
06-01-2006, 07:45 PM

Rem

Stone is good. He wasn't good beside Chip Caray -- frankly, he was awful and I wanted to pop him in the mouth. But I blame the WGN production more for not reigning him in. For ESPN, he's given excellent color commentary: sounds very focused, not AS biased as he was working for WGN (could he be?), and is adding depth to the ball games. I credit the ESPN production team and, in many cases, the guys they're pairing him with. Reds hater or not, Stone can deliver when you sit on him.

BaseballBum
06-01-2006, 08:03 PM
The fact that Griffey hit a home run is irrelevant as to whether or not it was a good time to lay down a bunt.

BoydsOfSummer
06-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Kasper also said something to the effect that the emergence of Tony Womack made it easier to trade Jerry Hairston. I got a kick out of that one.

That is funny. Jerry Hairston sucks,but Womack should aspire to be Jerry Hairston. Neifi Perez too.

pedro
06-01-2006, 08:11 PM
I agree stone is much better on ESPN.

BUTLER REDSFAN
06-01-2006, 10:26 PM
is there ever a time for griffey to bunt???

VR
06-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Stone is good. He wasn't good beside Chip Caray -- frankly, he was awful and I wanted to pop him in the mouth. But I blame the WGN production more for not reigning him in. For ESPN, he's given excellent color commentary: sounds very focused, not AS biased as he was working for WGN (could he be?), and is adding depth to the ball games. I credit the ESPN production team and, in many cases, the guys they're pairing him with. Reds hater or not, Stone can deliver when you sit on him.

Jack Brickhouse my friends, Jack Brickhouse.

IowaRed
06-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Jack Brickhouse my friends, Jack Brickhouse.

Jack Brickhouse is in the Hall of Fame and should be admired for his longevity. I grew up listening to many Brickhouse called games (pre-cable and satellite and in Cubs country) and was never very impressed by his broadcasting skills. He was Harry Caray before Harry came to the Cubs, a complete homer and cheerleader. Fine if you are a Cubs fan, not so much if you aren't. But when talking about Cubs announcers he is probably the best of the bunch

VR
06-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Jack Brickhouse is in the Hall of Fame and should be admired for his longevity. I grew up listening to many Brickhouse called games (pre-cable and satellite and in Cubs country) and was never very impressed by his broadcasting skills. He was Harry Caray before Harry came to the Cubs, a complete homer and cheerleader. Fine if you are a Cubs fan, not so much if you aren't. But when talking about Cubs announcers he is probably the best of the bunch

hey hey!