PDA

View Full Version : How about MILTON!!

butlerbulldogs
05-31-2006, 10:38 PM
If Milton can be a guy w/ a 4. to 4.50 era and Arroyo/Harang remain consistent, we will have three solid starters

Lets get the O going, here's to hoping, i want my summer to be fun, reds play a big factor in that!

WebScorpion
05-31-2006, 10:45 PM
It CAN happen. Milton looked good, but he needs to build up a little more endurance ... he just came back, so he'll get there. Keep your chin up, this season is far from over. ;)

Joseph
05-31-2006, 10:48 PM
I've seen Milton pitch in person I think 3 times now, and honestly this is how he's pitched every time I've seen him.

I think he should pay me to be at the park when he pitches as insurance.

I think thats 4 good starts this season for him now with 2 bad/mediocre ones, or is it 3?

captainmorgan07
05-31-2006, 10:54 PM
he pitched well except for that one start before he got hurt and the one after he came off the dl

TOBTTReds
05-31-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm not getting juiced about him just yet. I want to see it a couple more times at GABP. Kearns caught a lot of flyballs that were 340 feet to RF with the wind blowing in. Those are no doubt HR's in Cincy. Sorry to be so pecimistic! But he did pitch great today, here's to hoping the same again next week.:beerme:

harangatang
05-31-2006, 11:04 PM
I've seen Milton pitch in person I think 3 times now, and honestly this is how he's pitched every time I've seen him.

I think he should pay me to be at the park when he pitches as insurance.

I think thats 4 good starts this season for him now with 2 bad/mediocre ones, or is it 3?It's 4. :beerme:

Caveat Emperor
05-31-2006, 11:09 PM
If Milton can be a guy w/ a 4. to 4.50 era and Arroyo/Harang remain consistent, we will have three solid starters

Lets get the O going, here's to hoping, i want my summer to be fun, reds play a big factor in that!

If Milton can post a 4.00 ERA then that will hopefully mean he gets to spend August throwing baseballs for another ballclub.

I seriously don't care if the Reds are in contention or not -- I'd rather go to Justin Germano or Matt Belisle and have $10 million in additional free-agency money for Krivsky to play with than keep playing Russian Roulette with Eric Milton and hope that more meniscus magically reappears in his knee.

KronoRed
05-31-2006, 11:14 PM
I agree with CE, if Milton gets hot the first thing should be to deal him off.

TOBTTReds
05-31-2006, 11:17 PM
If Milton can post a 4.00 ERA then that will hopefully mean he gets to spend August throwing baseballs for another ballclub.

I seriously don't care if the Reds are in contention or not -- I'd rather go to Justin Germano or Matt Belisle and have $10 million in additional free-agency money for Krivsky to play with than keep playing Russian Roulette with Eric Milton and hope that more meniscus magically reappears in his knee.

Agree! If I were WK, I would have been on the phones during the game. "Are you watching this??" Taken him out after the 6th when he was traded by me. :thumbup:

dougdirt
05-31-2006, 11:24 PM

If that bold part happens, someone let me know. I could use a little bit more in my knee also.

It would be nice to move his salary though.

Krusty
06-01-2006, 12:53 AM
If the Reds are in double digits at the Allstar break while trailing the NL Central leader, then I think you'll see them move him. A team like the Yankees would be looking to bolster their starting rotation for the stretch run.

Would Hughes for Milton work with the Reds getting out of Milton's contract?

WVRedsFan
06-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Milton's performance this year is more like we thought it would be last year.

Having said that, he should be moved to someone at the break to, if nothing else, free up his salary money for some more promising pitchers. The fear here, of course, is that we get some duds and at the same time lose a guy who can keep us in games.

I'll take the chance. How about you?

TOBTTReds
06-01-2006, 01:15 AM
I was going to say Detroit could use another starter just off they top of my head, but they dont!

They have 4 of 5 starters with fewer hits than innings pitched. We have 1 (Arroyo; Harang and Milton are very close). We have a total of 3 pitchers on our entire roster that have fewer hits than IP (Arroyo, Coffey, Weathers; that have pitched more than 2 innings). That is no good. 4 starters for Det, 3 total for us.

Patrick Bateman
06-01-2006, 01:17 AM
If the Reds are in double digits at the Allstar break while trailing the NL Central leader, then I think you'll see them move him. A team like the Yankees would be looking to bolster their starting rotation for the stretch run.

Would Hughes for Milton work with the Reds getting out of Milton's contract?

Milton has negative trade value. Simply getting out of his contract would be enough. Getting Hughes would not be likely.

Think about it. When we signed Milton, our offer was the biggest any team was willing to give him. He's regressed since then. He's simply not worth his contract. He's probably worth about 3-4M to a team since pitching is so hard to find. So he would only have value if we ate about 6-7M per season, and even that would put him at about even value. For us to get Hughes in a Milton trade, we would likely have to eat the entire contract and throw in something else of moderate value.

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Trade him. Now.

GoReds
06-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Maybe the Brewers would like him...

Red Heeler
06-01-2006, 09:08 AM
If Milton continues to pitch at a respectable level, it could be a test for Kriv. Two years ago, when Paul Wilson was pitching reasonably well, DanO had the opportunity to trade him for something, anything, of value. Instead he held on to him for too long because the Reds were in "contention." Then Wilson went on the DL right around the trade deadline, and the Reds were stuck with him for the rest of the year.

If rumors start to fly about teams interested in Milton, we'll get a better idea of the stuff from which Kriv is made.

oneupper
06-01-2006, 09:16 AM
CHICAGO (AP) -- From the start, Eric Milton didn't feel right. He was tired, his velocity wasn't there....

"I would say they were getting themselves out a lot tonight," Milton said.

Translation:

Milton: "I still can't pitch...the Cubs just SUCK"

registerthis
06-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Trade him. Now.

Agreed--for two reasons.

The first is the obvious reason, which is that it's highly unlikely that he's ever going to pitch at a level remotely close to his salary, so moving his salary off the books would be a bonus.

The second, and less obvious, reason is that if the Reds are actually in contention come mid July, it would likely mean that Milton is pitching effectively. if that's the case, it becomes a very difficult sell to the fanbase to trade one of your effective starters for prospects when the team is in contention. regardless of how much sense it might make, it's hard for a move like that to come off as anything less than a firesale. If you trade him now--while he still has value and this season is still a toss-up--you avoid this issue.

TeamSelig
06-01-2006, 03:43 PM
No way does Milton post a 4 ERA... I will be OK with 4.75, and I think he will get close to that, but nothing below 4.50 IMO

KronoRed
06-01-2006, 04:16 PM
If Milton continues to pitch at a respectable level, it could be a test for Kriv. Two years ago, when Paul Wilson was pitching reasonably well, DanO had the opportunity to trade him for something, anything, of value. Instead he held on to him for too long because the Reds were in "contention." Then Wilson went on the DL right around the trade deadline, and the Reds were stuck with him for the rest of the year.

If rumors start to fly about teams interested in Milton, we'll get a better idea of the stuff from which Kriv is made.
Then Dan O made it worse by signing him to a 2 year deal when he KNEW he was injured.

Red Heeler
06-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Then Dan O made it worse by signing him to a 2 year deal when he KNEW he was injured.

Now why did you have to go and bring that up?:bang:

Marc D
06-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Maybe the Brewers would like him...

Milton has better numbers than some of the starters for the Yankees or Mets. Both teams can eat his contract and both have ballparks more conducive to Milton's extreme flyball ways than GAB.

I'm not overly smart but those are my first two sales calls on my daily quest to unload that contract if I'm the GM.

TeamSelig
06-02-2006, 01:19 AM
Maroth from the Tigers is supposed to have surgery for bone chips, he will be out for a while. Maybe they would bite if we paid for some of his salary?

Red Heeler
06-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Maroth from the Tigers is supposed to have surgery for bone chips, he will be out for a while. Maybe they would bite if we paid for some of his salary?

Not a bad idea at all. Comerica would be as good a park as any for Milton. I'd be willing to eat the rest of his 2006 salary if Detroit would pay him in '07.

I'd be willing to take Chad Durbin in return. He's too old to be considered a real prospect, but he has put up some good numbers in AAA. He's only gotten a couple of cups of coffee in the majors after being Reith-ed by KC at the turn of the millenium, and the results have not been pretty. OTOH, based on his minor league k/9, he can miss bats and doesn't walk many.

Matt700wlw
06-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Take away Eric's start before the DL stint, and the one after, and he's sitting with an ERA in the low 2s

RedsMan3203
06-02-2006, 02:49 PM
We should just play the wait and see game with Milton. If ole Mility throws like he is suppose we are going to be in the hunt come July 31st and I wouldn't like to see WK move him, unless its something golden...

The team we have now - can win... Just can they win on a consistent pattern? The rest of the road trip will prove it....

KronoRed
06-02-2006, 03:20 PM
I have to disagree, this team would be slaughtered in the playoffs if we did by some miracle get there, Milton won't be a part of the next champion in this city, move him if someone wants him.

Take away Eric's start before the DL stint, and the one after, and he's sitting with an ERA in the low 2s
And take away 31 starts last year and he was an allstar :devil:

Red Heeler
06-02-2006, 04:32 PM
We should just play the wait and see game with Milton. If ole Mility throws like he is suppose we are going to be in the hunt come July 31st and I wouldn't like to see WK move him, unless its something golden...

The team we have now - can win... Just can they win on a consistent pattern? The rest of the road trip will prove it....

If ole Milty throws like he is supposed to (based on his career averages), the Reds are going to have a $9 million pitcher with an ERA around 5.00.

Trade him at the first opportunity.

wheels
06-04-2006, 12:51 PM
If ole Milty throws like he is supposed to (based on his career averages), the Reds are going to have a $9 million pitcher with an ERA around 5.00.

Trade him at the first opportunity.

You're 100% correct.

If you look at his history, nothing is there that suggests that he'll keep this up.

Eat half of his salary and ship him off.