PDA

View Full Version : Coffey New Closer per Narron

WVRedsFan
06-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Per Marc's blog:

CHICAGO -- That wasn't an experiment you saw in the eighth and ninth, it was a handoff. Jerry Narron said after the game he had been trying for about a week to get Todd Coffey into the game in a save situation. Now that it finally has happened, the duties officially have been passed on from David Weathers.

Finally a closer who pitches like a closer...well almost. I think he'll grow into the job...at least I hope so.

TOBTTReds
06-01-2006, 02:27 AM
I still hope that if Pujols or someone close to that nature comes up in the 8th he comes in. And if he throws 25 pitches to get out of the inning he doesnt dare step back on the field in the 9th.

reds44
06-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Thank you Jerry. It was a move that had to be done.

NastyBoy
06-01-2006, 03:19 AM
I just hope there will be SVO in the 9th inning. :rolleyes:

With the exception of Coffey, Weathers and Hammonds (yes the ole fart has something left n da tank, 16.20 ERA April, 0.79 May) :thumbup:

Merker 14.54, White 10.00, Yar 8.25 ERAs in May. :yikes:

Lets turn the page on the calendar and start a new month...

In June the stars will align for that much awaited playoff run, the bullpen will be better, and the offense will be less offensive [italics added]. :thumbup:

savafan
06-01-2006, 03:35 AM
In June the stars will align for that much awaited playoff run, the bullpen will be better, and the offense will be less offensive [italics added]. :thumbup:

Here's to hoping. :beerme:

zombie-a-go-go
06-01-2006, 06:33 AM
It's about time. Unfortunately, stuff is only part of the equation - having the confidence to use it after single-handedly blowing a game the night before is the other part. I'm not saying anything any of you don't know. And of course, there's no way of knowing if Todd's got the "closer mentality" until he's been thrust into the fire.

For what it's worth, I think he'll do fine. In Todd We Trust.

lollipopcurve
06-01-2006, 08:51 AM
I was always skeptical of both Coffey and Wagner. Coffey's numbers last year betrayed a lot of hittability. And Wagner hasn't looked good since the year he was drafted.

But Coffey has come back this year with more movement on his pitches and a little better velocity with that 4 seamer. And he wants it. Maybe it's that 41st round mentality that separates him from the 1st rounder Wagner.

I think Phillips and Coffey are the best stories of the year so far. Kudos to Narron for getting these kids to the next level.

2001MUgrad
06-01-2006, 09:56 AM
It was bound to happen. What can you do though. The lesser of the 2 evils.

Newman4
06-01-2006, 10:39 AM
It was bound to happen. What can you do though. The lesser of the 2 evils.

But Coffey's not evil :) 1.20 ERA, .605 OPSA, 2.78 K/BB and the HR he gave up the other night was the first in 30 IP. Coffey's earned this IMO.

KoryMac5
06-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Coffey, Weathers, and The Big Ham give us some sembelance of a bullpen. Now lets hope we can add a couple of arms (Salmon in AAA) so we no longer have to see White and Mercker.

Jr's Boy
06-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Mercker can thrive as a situational reliever.

TeamBoone
06-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Mercker can thrive as a situational reliever.

He sure hasn't been thriving lately.

captainmorgan07
06-02-2006, 12:45 AM
one of jerry's finer moves on the season

realreds1
06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
So, we need a fierce nickname for Todd Coffey, closing pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds.

I nominate "The Grinder."

Todd "The Grinder" Coffey.

Has a ring to it, yes? Guess it beats Todd "Turn Your Head and" Coffey. :)

pedro
06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
So, we need a fierce nickname for Todd Coffey, closing pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds.

I nominate "Big Irish" or just "Irish"

Ltlabner
06-02-2006, 06:02 PM
For a while I was calling him "Luke Warm" Coffey.

Now, "Iced" Coffey. As in, I hope he pitches with ice in his veins.

Reds1
06-02-2006, 06:03 PM
that's great. I just traded Turnbow and Floyd for Griffey and Coffey. Keep in mind I have plenty of closers and this is just a bonus. I like it. I also picked Coffey off the wire in my other league and have been paitiently waiting. I was hoping this was coming. I hope it's true always and not this platoon thing.

Matt700wlw
06-02-2006, 06:04 PM
The Coffey Grinder

savafan
06-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Java the Hut

Matt700wlw
06-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Java the Hut

Pizza the Hut

http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/space/images/pizzahut.jpg

gm
06-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Nolan's fastball = "The Ryan Express"

Todd's fastball = "The Coffey Expresso"

pedro
06-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Brings new meaning to beaning a batter.

savafan
06-02-2006, 07:09 PM
nippy:
A secondary coffee taste characterized by a predominantly sweet, nipping sensation at the tip of the tongue. Caused by a higher-than-normal percentage of acids being sour.

TeamBoone
06-02-2006, 08:57 PM

How about just "Coffey Grinder"... you know, like coffee beans!

Ooops Matt... I just read yours. Sorry! I have a very bad habit of responding to posts as I read them without reading the entire thread first.

So I came up with a new one... the Coffey Creamer (maybe that should be the name of his most nasty pitch).

The just interviewed him on the Reds pregame show. What a really really nice guy... and so humble. He knows exactly what to say and how to say it. The media must love him too.

savafan
06-02-2006, 09:02 PM
The Coffey Creamer puts the wrong type of picture in my head. I blame you TB.

:help:

TeamBoone
06-02-2006, 09:21 PM
The Coffey Creamer puts the wrong type of picture in my head. I blame you TB.

:help:

I am sitting here laughing out loud at that one. You crack me up, Sava!

MaineRed
06-03-2006, 10:04 AM
He sure hasn't been thriving lately.

What would the response have been a month ago if someone said Hammond could still thrive?

If Redszone was running the Reds, Hammond never would have pitched in a game in May for the club, instead he would have been handed his walking papers and some kid who wasn't ready who would have been described as, "not any worse than Hammond" would have been called up and Hammond would be saving games for the Yankees right now :rolleyes:.

There are 30 teams in major league baseball. Each team carries at least 6 relievers (at least most of the time). That means there are 180 relievers on major league rosters. Maybe 150 of them belong in the bigs. Looking at it conservatively, at least 30 relievers who don't belong in the bigs, are. That is at least one per team. Throw in the fact that the Reds are a small market team who can't afford an expensive pen and you get what we have. The Reds, just like the Brewers, Pirates, Cubs, Marlins, Pads, and just about everyone else is going to have some cheese baller out in the pen. It is the enviroment Major League Baseball has created.

TeamBoone
06-03-2006, 10:32 AM
What would the response have been a month ago if someone said Hammond could still thrive?

I was responding to a post regarding Mercker.