PDA

View Full Version : OUT LOUD: Marty Brennaman

savafan
06-01-2006, 03:06 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060531outloudbrennaman,1,7197886.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

The Reds Hall of Famer tells Steve Rosenbloom the keys to being an announcer. You have to combine the art of doing play-by-play with the art of storytelling. That's why I think Vin Scully's the best that's ever been. He's the greatest storyteller of all time in my profession. That's why guys aspire to work at his level. Guys won't admit that, but I will. He's the best that's ever been.

I'm definitely not a homer. I try to be as objective as I can. I can be highly critical of the team I work for. The most important thing to me is my credibility. If I don't have my credib-ility, I don't have anything.

I never plan what I'm going to say. I'm not good enough to make it not sound contrived.

To be a part of a World Series of that type (the 1975 World Series between the Reds and Red Sox.) . . . I mean, Game 6 people say may still be the greatest game in the sport.

The Rose hit (Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's all-time hits record), no matter how big I thought it was going to be, it was a hundred times bigger.

Kentucky-Duke, I did that game in the Spectrum in Philadelphia when Laettner hit the shot in overtime to beat Kentucky in the regionals that year. A lot of people say that's the best basketball game that's ever been played.

I've been fortunate that I've not stumbled over my words in big moments.

Five minutes after 11 that morning, I pick up the phone, and the voice said, "Marty?" I said, "This is he." He said, "This is Dale Petroskey, the president of the Baseball Hall of Fame." That's all I remember. I knew damn well he wasn't calling to ask me how I was doing. My whole career flashed in front of my face, starting in Salisbury, N.C., at a 1,000-watt radio station and broadcasting high school and American Legion baseball and football and basketball.

My given name is Franchester. My old man's two best friends were named Frank and Chester. You know I had to be a tough kid to get through life with that name.

Martin is my middle name. Thank God my mom said, "This is what we're going to call him."

I worked with Johnny Kerr for two years on television doing the Virginia Squires games.

I had the chance to come to Cincinnati and was lucky enough to get the job replacing Al Michaels. I was scared to death. That's the only time in my life I ever doubted my ability because everywhere I went for one month before spring training in '74, people said, "You've got big shoes to fill." Everybody loved Al. I really questioned whether I was good enough to take on the job.

It worked out fine. I'm in my 33rd year.

If they're going to let these guys in now with the steroid cloud, then they've got to rethink the Pete Rose thing. Absolutely. I think he's paid his price. I don't think he should ever be allowed back on the field again, but I think they need to rethink allowing him on the ballot to be eligible for the Hall of Fame.

I'm going to tell you a story that's never been told-publicly, I think. I got a call one night in the fall after the season that Dewayne Staats (former Cubs broadcaster) left to go to New York. I was having dinner and got a call from a guy who used to work at WLW in Cincinnati, our flagship station. He has since left there and owned a small radio station outside of Chicago. He said, "Would you have any interest in coming to the Chicago Cubs as a broadcaster?" I said, "I have a contract." He said, "I thought you did, and that's the reason I'm calling rather than somebody from WGN radio" because of the tampering aspect. I said, "As appealing as a job like that would be in that city for that team on that station, I'm under contract." That was the end of it. I told him to thank the people at 'GN for thinking about me.

Then it wasn't but a matter of a couple of days later that Thom (Brennaman's son, who now calls Arizona Diamondbacks games) called me and said, "The radio job is open in Chicago. What do you think?" I said, "Think about what?" He said, "Should I apply for it?" I said, "All they can do is say no." He sent a tape, and the way I understand it, the guy who was running 'GN radio at that time was a guy named Dan Fabian, and Dan was home one night and had a cardboard box full of tapes and reached in and picked one tape out, and it was Thom. Now, you talk about fate. Of all the tapes that he could've pulled out of that box, he pulled Thom Brennaman's tape out. It was a videotape of Tom doing a Reds game with Johnny Bench the previous season. I understand he watched 30 minutes of it, and after that, he was on the telephone.

Be honest with the people who listen to you every day.

NastyBoy
06-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Thanks for post savafan.... some of it I have already heard before... but the 'GN thing is something new. I remember when Thom did the sports on WLWT... which some of the Elites know nothing about. Hard to believe some posters can dis this guy when he has seen more baseball in a season than they have seen in a lifetime.

StillFunkyB
06-01-2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks for post savafan.... some of it I have already heard before... but the 'GN thing is something new. I remember when Thom did the sports on WLWT... which some of the Elites know nothing about. Hard to believe some posters can dis this guy when he has seen more baseball in a season than they have seen in a lifetime.

It's not Marty's knowledge of baseball that I have a problem with. It's not even his ability to call a game. I think he is top notch in both areas.

It's when he starts rambling about things unrelated to what's going on down on the field that drive me nuts. Someone will walk in the booth, and then he will go on for 15 minutes about some story about that person, as if the action on the field didn't really matter.

When he stays away from that nonsense, MB is a GREAT announcer.

REDREAD
06-01-2006, 08:54 AM
It's when he starts rambling about things unrelated to what's going on down on the field that drive me nuts. Someone will walk in the booth, and then he will go on for 15 minutes about some story about that person, as if the action on the field didn't really matter.

Yes, and Marty gets bored and starts stretching out the trivia question for what seems like hours, gives nicknames to the writers (and other stuff that isn't even remotely funny), talks about golf, etc.

Marty used to be one of the best, but I think 90% of the time, he is now below average because he doesn't care at all about the game. He's as easily distracted as a 4 year old. When his head is in the game, he's good. Unfortunately, his head is never in the game anymore. Sadly, he focuses too much on the "storytelling" aspect.. which is an excuse for him to ramble on about stuff nobody cares about, that isn't even related to baseball.

HalMorrisRules
06-01-2006, 09:25 AM
I have a completely opposite opinion of Marty. I enjoy his "ramblings" and have never gotten upset with anything that he discusses while in the booth. If you had to broadcast this team for the last 5 dismal seasons, you might ramble from time to time too. I think the 2nd inning discussion with the beat writers is cant miss radio.

gonelong
06-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Hard to believe some posters can dis this guy when he has seen more baseball in a season than they have seen in a lifetime.

There are more than a handful of guys here that see more baseball in a season than Marty.

GL

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 09:50 AM
There are more than a handful of guys here that see more baseball in a season than Marty.

GL
Watching it on TV and the "access" that Marty has are two different things entirely.

gonelong
06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Watching it on TV and the "access" that Marty has are two different things entirely.

Sure, Marty has access and knows what goes on behind the scenes, which of course gives him an "edge".

It doesn't automatically qualify him as the foremost expert on baseball any more than it qualified Dan'O who not only had "access", but had the reigns in hand.

Marty also thought that Juan Castro deserved to play every day. That type of thinking trumps any access he has, IMO.

GL

registerthis
06-01-2006, 10:23 AM
When he stays away from that nonsense, MB is a GREAT announcer.

Agreed. It'd be difficult to find someone with a better HR call than Marty--I just remember his call on Griffey's game winner a couple of weeks ago, it was superb.

And he still gets excited, too--both for the good and the bad. I love hearing his voice and cadence rise when the Reds are rallying.

I've heard--and basically agree--with many of the complaints that have been thrown at Marty by many people. But I also believe that, when he gets down to just calling the game, there are few better in all of baseball.

registerthis
06-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Marty also thought that Juan Castro deserved to play every day. That type of thinking trumps any access he has, IMO.

Sure, an opinion is an opinion--some are right on, some are way off. There have been very knowledgeable posters on this board who have had opinions about things that have been substantially off the mark, as well. Marty gets some right, and he gets some wrong. Just like every other announcer.

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Sure, an opinion is an opinion--some are right on, some are way off. There have been very knowledgeable posters on this board who have had opinions about things that have been substantially off the mark, as well. Marty gets some right, and he gets some wrong. Just like every other announcer.
Yes... let's not go through each individual statement made by an announcer (or poster on this board) looking for opinions/statements that were way off. If we did that, I'd say we could all be classified as developmentally disabled.

vaticanplum
06-01-2006, 10:49 AM
I really like Marty Brennaman, and I miss being able to listen to him. However, not to drag up this argument again, but I do now think that some people are correct in saying that he is damaging to the team in some ways, and when I read comments like "I am not a homer" it gets to me. You can be critical of your team without ignoring the facts; I think this board proves that. He hides his favoritism behind "criticism" and this is supposed to make it ok?

I'm basing this largely on one experience I had over the weekend, which surprised and disppointed me. As many of you know (sorry, I was really excited about it), I went to the GABP for the first time ever on Saturday. My cousin joined us at the game, and at some point we got into a discussion about Griffey, and I said I thought they should move him to left to save his legs, put Dunn at first and explore a couple of options at center. Now, my cousin follows baseball pretty well, he's a smart kid, he knows his basic stats well enough. So I thought that at the very least he would have considered this possibility, even if he did not agree with it.

He was horrified. Why? Because of Marty Brenneman. His response literally began with the words, "Marty Brennaman says..." and thus began a diatribe of how horrible a fielder Dunn is, how much he hurts the team and needs to be traded, how excellent Griffey is and what a good jump he gets on the ball (this latter part is true. It is not enough.) He viewed my entire viewpoint as a personal affront to the Reds and everything he argued against was backed up by Brennaman. The argument ended with him saying, verbatim, "Like I'm ever going to listen to what you say over Marty...Griffey has earned the right to play centerfield" to which I responded "And how many penants do you think you're going to win with that attitude?" (and which point I realized how loudly I was yelling and we didn't speak for the rest of the game).

Now, everything my cousin says to me has to be taken with a grain of salt, because even though I love him dearly there is a part of him that is as tool-like as a tool can be, ie. he'll never listen to anything I say about baseball because I do not pee standing up. But in this case, I really think the Marty-speaks-truth aspect was more of an issue, and I was very disappointed that some of what people claim about Marty and his effect on the fans seems to be true. It upsets me because I DO like Marty a lot and I do think he's a good announcer and he can be critical all he wants -- Lord knows parts of this team need it -- but he seems to pick on the wrong parts sometimes. And then defends himself by saying he's not a homer and tries to be objective, thus manipulating (not consciously, of course) people into believing everything he says even more.

I dunno, it's kind of a dead issue I know, but this was my first taste of it so I had to jump in. I think he's great and I don't want anybody else calling the Reds, but I wish he were truly as objective as he seems to think he is.

gonelong
06-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Marty gets some right, and he gets some wrong. Just like every other announcer.

Agreed. Its the gets some wrong part that should afford each of us the opportunity to question Marty and not accept what he says as the gold standard. That is all I am saying.

I listened to and enjoyed Marty and Joe for 25+ years, and he is a large part of the Reds IMO. When measured against his peers, Marty is a fine announcer and is revered by many.

Either I have outgrown him, he has changed, his entire peer group is lacking, or some combination of the threee. I no longer enjoy the broadcasts so I only rarely tune into them.

I respect that its not any easy position to excel at ... to be "on" for 162 nights a year. I see all to often where people look at other's jobs and have all the answers, that is, until they are given the opportunity to do it themselves. On the other hand, it greatly peeves me to be told that I cannot possibly critic someone since I don't do what they do for a living ... most likely by someone that isn't afraid to do the same for their schoolboard, mayor, president, etc.

GL

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 11:17 AM
On the other hand, it greatly peeves me to be told that I cannot possibly critic someone since I don't do what they do for a living ... most likely by someone that isn't afraid to do the same for their schoolboard, mayor, president, etc.

GL
Criticize or critique, yes. But you did this via a statement made by Marty a few years ago. Your most recent post (the one I quoted from) is a much more viable argument. I can't (or won't) dispute anything you said in it. I just happen to disagree.

Get XM radio and listen to some of the jokers calling games. Whoo weee.

westofyou
06-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Get XM radio and listen to some of the jokers calling games. Whoo weee.Lot's fine announcers out there, Niehouse, Steiner, Miller, Greenwald... and that's just the west coast.

Marty is a good announcer, but to think that he's the only one out there at the top of his game is wrong IMO.

registerthis
06-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Marty is a good announcer, but to think that he's the only one out there at the top of his game is wrong IMO.

No, he's not alone for sure. There's a cross section of very good announcers, some average ones, and some that I can barely stand listening to (of which I'd put the Nationals and marlins announcers.)

The play-by-play man for the Nats has developed his own saying after every Nats win--"A curly 'W' is in the books!"--which is simply awful. Someone needs to tell him that it's not working.

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Vin Scully is still the best.

I'll admit, I don't know their names, but thew Oakland A's guys really rubbed me the wrong way when I've listened to them. Very similar to what was said about the Nats guy.

gonelong
06-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Criticize or critique, yes. But you did this via a statement made by Marty a few years ago.

Would you like a more recent one? ;)

<get off my lawn!>
I hit 36 this year, maybe I am just getting chrotchety before my time.
</get off my lawn!>

GL

smith288
06-01-2006, 12:20 PM
To think Al Michaels used to announce Reds games makes me really not care for Marty as an announcer and beg for Michaels professional calls.

Michaels is one of the top across all sports in my humble opinion (no stats to back that up folks...sorry).

Marty is Marty to me and never really understood the facination with him. He is like a hundred others to me.

Roy Tucker
06-01-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm basing this largely on one experience I had over the weekend, which surprised and disppointed me.
I had exactly the same experience with my niece. It was at a family dinner and I thought she was going to come over the table at me.

I've been listening to Marty more the past couple weeks (I've been out driving a lot). Previously, I thought the folks that had voiced some dissatisfaction with Marty were just a bunch of whiners. But I have to say, the guy acts barely interested about the game any more. When he gets involved, he is still superb. But jeez-o-whiz, a 2 yr. old has a longer attention span than he does.

And I heard him on a Banana Phone stint a couple nights back and Steve had to answer all the Marty questions. Marty was sitting right there, he just wasn't engaged. Grantly the IQ level of the BP is in single digits, but still, do your job or go find something else to do.

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Marty seems to get especially bored when they're not playing well. Wait a minute... so do I!!!

westofyou
06-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Marty seems to get especially bored when they're not playing well. Wait a minute... so do I!!!
Ahh yes... so that's when the address on the paycheck might persuade him to feign some interest.

I know I do.

BCubb2003
06-01-2006, 01:36 PM
How many of us knew his real name was Franchester?

savafan
06-01-2006, 01:39 PM

I did, but only because I heard Seg call him by that once.

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 01:43 PM
I did, but only because I heard Seg call him by that once.
SEG is about the only person who can head butt Marty and get away with it.

I think that's because he's a tough, gritty, scrappy Middletonian.

cumberlandreds
06-01-2006, 01:48 PM

I didn't either and I have listened to Marty since he came to the Reds in 1974.

registerthis
06-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Franchester Martin Brennamen

It just rolls right off the tongue.

Jr's Boy
06-01-2006, 02:18 PM
I like Marty,however alot of his calls when the Reds get a hit I dont know if its an average one or a HR because he does'nt put any enthusiasm into it.

registerthis
06-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I like Marty,however alot of his calls when the Reds get a hit I dont know if its an average one or a HR because he does'nt put any enthusiasm into it.

It depends on the significance of the hit/HR. I've Marty generate plenty of enthusiasm for significant hits, HRs, defensive plays, etc. when they warrant it. There are a lot of valid criticisms that can be said at Marty, but "lack of enthusiasm" doesn't register very high.

TeamBoone
06-01-2006, 03:02 PM
"Another meaningless homerun"... every single time Adam hits a solo HR or hits a HR in a high scoring game, whether it's the Reds or the opposition doing the high scoring.

"That's who you've been screaming for for your closer folks"... after Coffey gave up his one and only homerun.

Those two are off the top of my head without even giving it any thought.

registerthis
06-01-2006, 03:10 PM
"Another meaningless homerun"... every single time Adam hits a solo HR or hits a HR in a high scoring game, whether it's the Reds or the opposition doing the high scoring.

I don't get that from him, but then again you hear what you want to hear. If you dislike Marty, you'll hate his calls.

KronoRed
06-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Marty choosing to rail on Dunn for putting the ball in play (but caught) right after Aurilia struck out with a man on 3rd with 1 out and Marty saying nothing about it was another obvious sign of bias.

But I agree with some above..if he calls the game he's fine.

KronoRed
06-01-2006, 04:27 PM
you had to broadcast this team for the last 5 dismal seasons, you might ramble from time to time too.
Scully has done more bad Dodger seasons them Marty has Reds and hasn't tuned the team out.

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Scully has done more bad Dodger seasons them Marty has Reds and hasn't tuned the team out.
Scully is 100% class. Marty's about 95%.

Caseyfan21
06-01-2006, 05:31 PM

Actually, this really is not true. I wasn't sure so I went and looked it up. Since Vin Scully started working for the Dodgers in 1950, they have had 12 sub .500 seasons with the worst streak being 2 seasons of sub .500 ball in a row. Since 1974 when Marty joined the Reds booth, the Reds have had 13 sub .500 seasons with the longest stretch being from 2000 to now at 5 seasons. Marty has had more sub .500 seasons than Scully and he's been in the booth 24 less years.

I think Marty has a legitimate reason to care less about the product on the field and more about the trivia questions. The thing about the Dodgers is that they seem to care more about winning overall than the Reds have the past couple years under the previous ownership.

I do agree he should keep the focus on the field more but with the Reds ineptitude the past several years it's tough to want to pay attention.

Marty's world centers around Marty and when you have a place in the game like he does (HOF) than you can have that attitude and get away with it. That sure doesn't make it right though and I think Steve does an admiral job trying to fit into the broadcast with Marty's ego taking up so much room.

KronoRed
06-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Actually, this really is not true. I wasn't sure so I went and looked it up. Since Vin Scully started working for the Dodgers in 1950, they have had 12 sub .500 seasons with the worst streak being 2 seasons of sub .500 ball in a row. Since 1974 when Marty joined the Reds booth, the Reds have had 13 sub .500 seasons with the longest stretch being from 2000 to now at 5 seasons. Marty has had more sub .500 seasons than Scully and he's been in the booth 24 less years.

True, but even in some of those reasons of plus .500 ball the team was out of contention

Agree with the rest of what you said

Yachtzee
06-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Marty choosing to rail on Dunn for putting the ball in play (but caught) right after Aurilia struck out with a man on 3rd with 1 out and Marty saying nothing about it was another obvious sign of bias.

Yep. Marty's great when he doesn't have axes to grind.

jr3fan
06-01-2006, 10:35 PM
I think MB is a great announcer. "This one belongs to the Reds" is a simple, classic way to end a winning game. MB is one of the reasons I am a Reds fan.

One thing I missed that I need someone to explain- Why does MB despise Jim Bowden so bad? Is it just because he was a terrible gm for the Reds, or does it go deeper? I probably would know the answer to this if I had been in this forum a few years ago, but I am new, and I have heard MB make scathing remarks about Bowden a few times this year. Can someone help me out?

TeamBoone
06-01-2006, 11:34 PM
I don't get that from him, but then again you hear what you want to hear. If you dislike Marty, you'll hate his calls.

That's a direct quote from Marty... several times, in fact. And his tone is sooooo disappointed and deadpan.

savafan
06-02-2006, 01:02 AM
I think MB is a great announcer. "This one belongs to the Reds" is a simple, classic way to end a winning game. MB is one of the reasons I am a Reds fan.

One thing I missed that I need someone to explain- Why does MB despise Jim Bowden so bad? Is it just because he was a terrible gm for the Reds, or does it go deeper? I probably would know the answer to this if I had been in this forum a few years ago, but I am new, and I have heard MB make scathing remarks about Bowden a few times this year. Can someone help me out?

I believe it has something to do with the way the Reds treated Thom, his son, while JimBo was the GM.

Chip R
06-02-2006, 01:10 AM
I think Marty has a legitimate reason to care less about the product on the field and more about the trivia questions. The thing about the Dodgers is that they seem to care more about winning overall than the Reds have the past couple years under the previous ownership.

I do agree he should keep the focus on the field more but with the Reds ineptitude the past several years it's tough to want to pay attention.

It should not matter one whit to Marty if the Reds are the second coming of the BRM or as bad as the 82 team. His job is to announce the games. I will admit, when he is interested and engaged in the game, there are few better. To excuse his apathy because the product has not been good lately is like saying it is OK for me to not do my job well because my company loses money. Marty has opinions. I think it is great that he has opinions but it seems to me he is letting those opinions influence the way he calls a game and he (and others) justifies it by saying that he is not a homer. I have said this before and I will say it again, I think Marty would meke a great sports talk show host, especially about the Reds and college hoops which are two big deals in this town. That way he could rip players all he wants and people could call in and either agree or disagree with him. I would bet he would get the highest ratings of any radio show in the area.

billy117
06-02-2006, 01:29 AM
First I want to say that I really enjoy listening to Marty, even when he's talking about things other than the Reds...but I was reading this thread and noticed how much Vin Scully was mentioned, so I read over on some Dodgers fan site and searched for Vin Scully threads and for the most part they were all praising (as they should be) but occasionally there would be people complaining about the same things that some Reds fans say about Marty. For instance VC talking about Barry Bonds and giving updates on BB's at bats. Just thought it was interesting.

Ron Madden
06-02-2006, 04:33 AM
When Marty does his job and calls PBP he is Great.

Marty was elected to the HOF because of his ability to call the game not for his Knowledge of the game.

Some will hate me for saying so but I believe Marty has drifted away from what got him into the HOF.

He has every right to his opinions but he owes it to the organization and to the fans to to make sure he is'nt brodcasting half truths or false information.

NastyBoy
06-02-2006, 05:18 AM
Sounds like most people love Marty for play by play, but have issues with the extraneous comments that detract from game and his play by play.

If you don't like the extraneous comments, one thing that may need to go is the listener email during the home games.

An example from last season that I am familar, and some forum members may have . I had noticed the exuberant number of DPs that Sean Casey had hit into early in the season and I wondered if he continued at this pace, if he would break team record or possibly the league record. After this email, every time Casey GIDP, it was not only was it called in the play by play, but a running tally was started announcing the total number for the season during each broadcast.

Email was not around when Marty started his HOF career and now just adds distracted banter during the game.

MaineRed
06-02-2006, 06:57 AM
I hope Marty has drifted away from what got him in the HOF because if his current style is HOFesque I have a lot less respect for the HOF.

I cringe when Marty starts talking trivia.

Marty: I'll take A
Steve: I'll take B
Marty: It's probably C

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

And the references, just like George "I never shut up" Grande to people unfamilar to the listener are about as unprofesional as you can get in the booth. It is such a no no. I used to do high school hoops and the guy I worked with had a bad habbit of announcing when people he knew would enter the gym and I used to just glare at him when he did it because it was so out of line. This was high school in Maine. Marty is doing Major League Baseball.

His hatred for Adam Dunn had gotten out of hand as well.

"He is paid to hit HR and drive in runs but some people get all excited about OBP."

I just got XM this year and I haven't even come close to hearing all the announce teams but Marty is nothing special, I know that. I would hate him if I was a fan of another team as the game is so hard to follow. At least a guy like Grande is talking baseball, fluff or not. Marty just talks about whatever he wants and thinks we all understand. Well we don't.

Count me as one who will be happy when there is some new blood in the booth. God bless Nuxy but the booth is no place for him either.

Ltlabner
06-02-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm always suprised when people have such despise for Marty B. I can understand people not liking his style or approach, but I can't figure out why some people would get all worked up over him.

I don't mind the trivia and comments about golf. I guess I'm able to follow the game without getting confused by non-baseball related information and loosing track of the game. It's a pretty slow moving game at times so it's not like there is a constant stream of action on the field on which to comment. Frankly, I like a little spice because 2 1/2 to 3 hours of nothing but "and here's the pitch" would get dull if he never deveated from anything but exactly what is going on between the white lines.

As far has his references to other people outside the booth, he almost always (as least as far as I can recall) says who the person is. He may say something like, "Rob Butcher, the Reds Media Department cheif extrodinare....." What more info do you need to figure out who that is?

Here's a guy broadcasting to hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people at a time. Do you really think he's going to cater to the small minority of people who know about stats other than BA and RBI? Let's face it, most fans are lucky to know the starting player's names, much less what OPS means. And consider it from Marty's perspective. He's been around the game for 30+ years. While he's never played it, (Tracey Jones...ehhhmmm) he knows a couple things about. Everything, no. Some things, yes. I can understand why he'd get bugged if (and this is an assumption) he's getting hounded people who can only rattle off a list of numbers as if those are the only keys to the game.

If you don't like the guy that's fine, is your right and I have no problem with that. But in my opinion, he's one of the best. Not the best, but one of.

Chip R
06-02-2006, 08:13 AM
I'm always suprised when people have such despise for Marty B. I can understand people not liking his style or approach, but I can't figure out why some people would get all worked up over him.

I don't mind the trivia and comments about golf. I guess I'm able to follow the game without getting confused by non-baseball related information and loosing track of the game. It's a pretty slow moving game at times so it's not like there is a constant stream of action on the field on which to comment. Frankly, I like a little spice because 2 1/2 to 3 hours of nothing but "and here's the pitch" would get dull if he never deveated from anything but exactly what is going on between the white lines.

As far has his references to other people outside the booth, he almost always (as least as far as I can recall) says who the person is. He may say something like, "Rob Butcher, the Reds Media Department cheif extrodinare....." What more info do you need to figure out who that is?

Here's a guy broadcasting to hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people at a time. Do you really think he's going to cater to the small minority of people who know about stats other than BA and RBI? Let's face it, most fans are lucky to know the starting player's names, much less what OPS means. And consider it from Marty's perspective. He's been around the game for 30+ years. While he's never played it, (Tracey Jones...ehhhmmm) he knows a couple things about. Everything, no. Some things, yes. I can understand why he'd get bugged if (and this is an assumption) he's getting hounded people who can only rattle off a list of numbers as if those are the only keys to the game.

If you don't like the guy that's fine, is your right and I have no problem with that. But in my opinion, he's one of the best. Not the best, but one of.

I think you are making the assumption that a lot of fans of Marty make in that anyone who is not 100% Pro Marty hates him. That may be the case for a few people but the majority, myself included, just do not like certain aspects of how he calls a game now. And it is not about embracing OPS or RC/27 so that is a strawman right there. If an announcer chooses to ignore certain statistics, that is fine, the majority do not. Vin Scully was brought up as the top dog of announcers and when I hear him, I do not hear him quoting the Baseball Prospectus bible. If you think Marty walks on water and can do no wrong, that is fine. But not everyone who does not believe that hates the man.

RANDY IN INDY
06-02-2006, 08:20 AM
I know I am going to be in the minority (maybe the only baseball fan alive) here when I make this statement. Back when Scully was calling games for NBC, I could hardly stand to listen to him. I don't know if it is because of my deep hatred for anything about the Dodgers, (outside of Sandy Koufax) but Scully really would get on my nerves after a couple of innings. I have never been a big fan of his, and I know everyone else loves the guy.

registerthis
06-02-2006, 10:58 AM
That's a direct quote from Marty... several times, in fact. And his tone is sooooo disappointed and deadpan.

Perhaps, but like I said I've heard him generate plenty of enthusiasm for big hits/innings/strikeouts/defensive plays/whatever.

I'm certain you could pull isolated examples from just about any broadcaster working today where a call on a homerun has been less than exuberant. And before you respond with "it's particularly bad with Dunn," I have also heard Marty get excited (gasp!) about HRs Dunn has hit.

Again, I just think the "enthusiasm" complaint is tenuous and completely subjective. There's better complaints against Marty than that.

KittyDuran
06-02-2006, 12:02 PM
I know I am going to be in the minority (maybe the only baseball fan alive) here when I make this statement. Back when Scully was calling games for NBC, I could hardly stand to listen to him. I don't know if it is because of my deep hatred for anything about the Dodgers, (outside of Sandy Koufax) but Scully really would get on my nerves after a couple of innings. I have never been a big fan of his, and I know everyone else loves the guy.Then I'm the second baseball fan alive...;) IMHO, it's because he's the voice of the past enemy, the Dodgers. Even when I hear Marty praise him, which he does on occasion, I want to scream into the radio - "How can you like that old man?" :laugh:

Curt Gowdy was another - but especially after the '75 series when I found out that he used to announce the Red Sox games. So even now when I hear his voice I cringe.

billy117
06-02-2006, 12:13 PM
I know I am going to be in the minority (maybe the only baseball fan alive) here when I make this statement. Back when Scully was calling games for NBC, I could hardly stand to listen to him. I don't know if it is because of my deep hatred for anything about the Dodgers, (outside of Sandy Koufax) but Scully really would get on my nerves after a couple of innings. I have never been a big fan of his, and I know everyone else loves the guy.

That's exactly what I was takling about in my post above. Over on the Dodgers site I was on, there were some fans saying things similar to what you are saying. So even though the consensus is that Scully is the best, some people still don't like him, or just certain small things that he does. Just like Marty over here.

TeamBoone
06-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Perhaps, but like I said I've heard him generate plenty of enthusiasm for big hits/innings/strikeouts/defensive plays/whatever.

I'm certain you could pull isolated examples from just about any broadcaster working today where a call on a homerun has been less than exuberant. And before you respond with "it's particularly bad with Dunn," I have also heard Marty get excited (gasp!) about HRs Dunn has hit.

Again, I just think the "enthusiasm" complaint is tenuous and completely subjective. There's better complaints against Marty than that.

Actually, I wasn't responding to a lack of enthusiasm from Marty... I don't expect him to be exhuberant when things are going bad. Most people, including Marty, are only exhuberant when things are going well.

My dislike is his disparaging remarks about players... even when they're winning! I didn't isolate it to Dunn... I included Coffey. Again, off the top of my head... there are many others.

westofyou
06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
That's exactly what I was takling about in my post above. Over on the Dodgers site I was on, there were some fans saying things similar to what you are saying. So even though the consensus is that Scully is the best, some people still don't like him, or just certain small things that he does. Just like Marty over here.
True, I heard Vin refer to the hub bub about him talking about the Bonds chase, he replied.. "It's baseball and I'm reporting it."

That said Vin does TV more than radio these days IRRC, I can tun him down and look at the picture.

But during a quintacential ladies moment, when the tomatoes are full and ripe and the sun glances off the tee in the dew of the morning I'll tell you what, no way no how.... not in a million years... should I be left grasping at why the count is 3-1 and not 1-1.

RFS62
06-02-2006, 12:34 PM
But during a quintacential ladies moment, when the tomatoes are full and ripe and the sun glances off the tee in the dew of the morning I'll tell you what, no way no how.... not in a million years... should I be left grasping at why the count is 3-1 and not 1-1.

Yep, and in a titanic struggle, that just ain't gettin' it done, pardner.

Ltlabner
06-02-2006, 12:39 PM
"If you think Marty walks on water and can do no wrong, that is fine. But not everyone who does not believe that hates the man."

Chip,

You are correct that I shouldn't assume you hate him because you have some complaints about him. Neither, should you assume I think he "walks on water" because I don't agree with your (or other folks) compliants. Seems to me that is as big of an assumption on your part as I was making on mine.

BTW, I'm logged into Redszone on my pocketpc at lunchtime. I specifically went to a resturant at lunch that I knew had wireless internet so I could check in. How sick am I ????? hahahahahah

registerthis
06-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Actually, I wasn't responding to a lack of enthusiasm from Marty... I don't expect him to be exhuberant when things are going bad. Most people, including Marty, are only exhuberant when things are going well.

my fault then...i thought you were responding to the post about Marty's lack of enthusiasm in calling games. Never mind, then... :doh:

Matt700wlw
06-02-2006, 03:06 PM

I didn't....I should call him that tonight... :devil:

Matt700wlw
06-02-2006, 03:09 PM

He doesn't hate Dunn, I just think he's frustrated because of all the potential he can't seem to tap.

KronoRed
06-02-2006, 03:25 PM
He doesn't hate Dunn, I just think he's frustrated because of all the potential he can't seem to tap.
Well after 5 years I think it's time to move on ;)

KittyDuran
06-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Well after 5 years I think it's time to move on ;)It only seems to me that Marty has only been "harping" on Dunn for the past 2 seasons. But I'm pretty neutral on Dunner - so I haven't been paying too much attention to Marty's comments on him. It just seemed really bad last year.

KittyDuran
06-02-2006, 03:32 PM
I didn't....I should call him that tonight... :devil:Watch out... your job might be listed in the classifieds next week....;)

Ltlabner
06-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Franchester?!?!?! I wonder if the beatings he endured for that name played a role in the person he is today? :bash:

Caseyfan21
06-02-2006, 03:55 PM
If everyone could step back out of this debate for a second, I think this is actually kind of funny. Posters on this site seem to have their favorite dead horses narrowed down to Marty and Dunn since we have gotten rid of others. Now in this thread Marty is getting bashed because he bashes Dunn. I think it's kind of ironic....:)

pedro
06-02-2006, 04:00 PM
If everyone could step back out of this debate for a second, I think this is actually kind of funny. Posters on this site seem to have their favorite dead horses narrowed down to Marty and Dunn since we have gotten rid of others. Now in this thread Marty is getting bashed because he bashes Dunn. I think it's kind of ironic....:)

maybe we should just bash posters who bash marty for bashing dunn? :)

Big Klu
06-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Franchester?!?!?! I wonder if the beatings he endured for that name played a role in the person he is today? :bash:

Franchester?! FRANCHESTER?!

Sounds like a P.H.F.B. to me! :D

TeamBoone
06-02-2006, 04:33 PM
maybe we should just bash posters who bash marty for bashing dunn?

I don't like player bashing in general (especially ad nauseum), but that's certainly not my only and/or biggest complaint... it's just a small part of it.

But like others have said, this has been hashed and rehashed.

pedro
06-02-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't like player bashing in general (especially ad nauseum), but that's certainly not my only and/or biggest complaint... it's just a small part of it.

But like others have said, this has been hashed and rehashed.

fwiw, i'd be getting bashed on that one myself.

THNDRacket
06-02-2006, 06:12 PM
And I heard him on a Banana Phone stint a couple nights back and Steve had to answer all the Marty questions. Marty was sitting right there, he just wasn't engaged. Grantly the IQ level of the BP is in single digits, but still, do your job or go find something else to do.

I know the time you're talking about. My impression at the time was that he was trying to give Steve Stewart more involvement with the fans. Steve would introduce the caller, but the callers would respond with "Hey Marty!" or some such, as if they didn't even recognize Stewart's voice.

THNDRacket
06-02-2006, 06:16 PM

Ugh, I'm glad I didn't hear that. I was watching the TV broadcast at the time, but wanted to go back and here what Marty said in that situation. Stuff like that isn't credible at all.

THNDRacket
06-02-2006, 06:19 PM

"That's who you've been screaming for for your closer folks"... after Coffey gave up his one and only homerun.

Those two are off the top of my head without even giving it any thought.

His call of Encarnacion's grand slam had to have been the dullest thing I have ever heard by any announcer, Reds or not.

Ron Madden
06-03-2006, 04:31 AM

I believe most of us are down on Marty because sometimes he gets so busy talking goofy stuff he forgets to call PBP.

RANDY IN INDY
06-03-2006, 06:55 AM
I must be in the minority because I never have any trouble keeping up with the play by play when Marty is behind the microphone.

Caseyfan21
06-03-2006, 10:47 AM
I believe most of us are down on Marty because sometimes he gets so busy talking goofy stuff he forgets to call PBP.

Yes, I agree totally and understand. I just thought it was funny that it had sort of come full circle. It wasn't meant to call out anyone who was tired of Marty or anything, just an observation.

redsfan1966
06-03-2006, 10:53 PM
First of all...let me admit I did not read all of the posts in this thread...however I get the general idea....so lets understand one thing first...
Reds Radio Broadcasts have become the "Marty and Steve" Talk Show with a Reds game thrown in....and guess what??? I LOVE IT!! I'm a big baseball and Reds fan, but lets admit it--a baseball game can drag at times and I love the trivia contests, e-mails, conversations with the beat writers; even Marty and Steve's banter about booth guests, blogs, golf games and even "24"

I dont need or want a vanilla play by play by two boring announcers...so to Marty and Steve---Keep up the Good Work!