PDA

View Full Version : Batwoman is a lesbian

cincinnati chili
06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Just sayin'

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/06/01/batwoman.uncloseted.ap/index.html

savafan
06-01-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm an open minded person, but I question if this was really necessary. Create a new character, fine, but why change an old beloved character?

beb30
06-01-2006, 10:48 AM
sounds like a winner.....:rolleyes:

gonelong
06-01-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm an open minded person, but I question if this was really necessary. Create a new character, fine, but why change an old beloved character?

She will still be beloved. Now she will just beloved by a girl. :laugh:

GL

Roy Tucker
06-01-2006, 10:50 AM
I thought Batwoman got killed way back when?

paintmered
06-01-2006, 10:51 AM
I thought Batwoman got killed way back when?

She's cool that that, apparently.

westofyou
06-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Just sayin'

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/06/01/batwoman.uncloseted.ap/index.html
New Subaru on the way. ;)

Roy Tucker
06-01-2006, 10:52 AM
If this had happened when I was 13, I think my brain would have gone into permanent vapor lock.

RFS62
06-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Is she wearing comfortable boots?

MrCinatit
06-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Looks like I'll have to start looking at comic books again.

creek14
06-01-2006, 01:09 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/06/01/batwoman.uncloseted.ap/story.batwoman.ap.jpg
That is exactly the same outfit I have on today. But I'm 6'2" and straight.

max venable
06-01-2006, 01:26 PM
I wonder what the Dynamic Duo thinks about this this gay Batwoman stuff?

http://g33k.infinitesecond.net/random/img_2006_01/005_Gay%20Batman.jpg

RedsFan75
06-01-2006, 01:34 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/06/01/batwoman.uncloseted.ap/story.batwoman.ap.jpg
That is exactly the same outfit I have on today. But I'm 6'2" and straight.

Something about that statement that gets my heart pumpin' :D

max venable
06-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Something about that statement that gets my heart pumpin' :D
...or something else pumpin' :evil:

BUTLER REDSFAN
06-01-2006, 04:49 PM
why does this kind of crap not surprise me anymore :(

RedFanAlways1966
06-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Coming soon... Lesbian Batwoman vs. Lesbian Catwoman.

Only on Pay-per-View.... and worth every bit of the $100 fee. For men who will pay ridiculous amounts of money to see two sweaty men beat each other up... this is way more bang-for-the-buck and satisfaction will be guaranteed!

:evil:

KronoRed
06-01-2006, 05:14 PM
I thought all super heroes were gay? :D

dman
06-01-2006, 06:53 PM
[/ATTACH]
I thought all super heroes were gay? :D

Just these two:

Rojo
06-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Socialite? Can't they do better than that? How about player on the LPGA tour? or stocker at Whole Foods? or dog groomer?

Stereotypes, I gotta million of 'em.

redsmetz
06-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Socialite? Can't they do better than that? How about player on the LPGA tour? or stocker at Whole Foods? or dog groomer?

Stereotypes, I gotta million of 'em.

Well, The Shadow was a "wealthy man about town" - when was the last time you met a wealthy man about town?

BUTLER REDSFAN
06-01-2006, 08:17 PM
i wonder what the batpole looks like

GAC
06-01-2006, 09:22 PM
I'm still in shock over the transformation of Green Lantern

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Justice_league_green_lantern.jpg

Dom Heffner
06-01-2006, 09:42 PM
why does this kind of crap not surprise me anymore

They're here, they're queer....

westofyou
06-01-2006, 10:10 PM
They're here, they're queer....
Right on the bumper across my street..... We are Everywhere.

Dom Heffner
06-01-2006, 10:28 PM

All that change did was make me question my memory from childhood.

"I coulda swore he was..."

Then my good friend- who's into comics- explained it to me.

My friend is black, and I told him that his people just can't win because there are much cooler superheroes than Black Lantern they could have changed. The only way black people could have gotten a worse deal is if they would have made Aquaman black because Aquaman would be the worst superhero in the world to have as a friend if you were in trouble.

Because unless you are in salt water, Aquaman really isn't of much use. If you are in a cornfield in Iowa he can't help out at all. Even if there is a fish store nearby, those fish cannot escape their aquariums and they cannot live out of water long enough to be of assistance.

If you were drowning in freshwater- I mean, what's Aquaman going to do, summon a group of blue gil with those telepathic rings to save you?

Those fish would show up and be like, "What do you want me to do, nudge him back to the surface? My maximum weight is 12 ounces. You should have called some catfish or bass. They are larger. And easier to fillet."

BUTLER REDSFAN
06-01-2006, 10:46 PM
my mom has told me that when i was real little that when i watched old adam west batman shows when bruce and dick started to go down the bat poles behind the fake wall that i would run up to the tv point blank range so i could continue watching until they got all the way to the bottom

SteelSD
06-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Meh. This isn't anything new even within the DC universe and certainly not newsworthy. In fact, the only reason the media picked it up is that the word "Bat" was associated.

If you haven't read The Authority ever or haven't opened a single issue of Y-The Last Man you've seen nothing.

The Authority (used to be the best book running) has two gay characters (Apollo, Midnighter) who are married. Not only does that not distract from the storylines, it actually adds to the dynamic of the book.

And one of the most recent Y-The Last Man storyarcs was titled "Girl on Girl". I'll leave it to the reader to figure that one out.

BTW, if anyone actually cares, here's a good resource for knowing who's who in the gay, lesbian, and bisexual comic book community (and I disagree that every character on that list qualifies):

http://www.gayleague.com/gay/characters/index.php

savafan
06-02-2006, 03:09 AM
All that change did was make me question my memory from childhood.

"I coulda swore he was..."

Then my good friend- who's into comics- explained it to me.

My friend is black, and I told him that his people just can't win because there are much cooler superheroes than Black Lantern they could have changed. The only way black people could have gotten a worse deal is if they would have made Aquaman black because Aquaman would be the worst superhero in the world to have as a friend if you were in trouble.

Because unless you are in salt water, Aquaman really isn't of much use. If you are in a cornfield in Iowa he can't help out at all. Even if there is a fish store nearby, those fish cannot escape their aquariums and they cannot live out of water long enough to be of assistance.

If you were drowning in freshwater- I mean, what's Aquaman going to do, summon a group of blue gil with those telepathic rings to save you?

Those fish would show up and be like, "What do you want me to do, nudge him back to the surface? My maximum weight is 12 ounces. You should have called some catfish or bass. They are larger. And easier to fillet."

Wait, the African American community already had Black Vulcan and Cyborg, why did they need the Green Lantern?

GAC
06-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Why changed the original traditional characters? Is it because they can't come up with something original themselves, or that it won't catch on, so they have to change a standard that has been around for decades?

You want a lesbian character?... or you think there aren't enough minority representation in comics? Then create and market one.

It use to be that comics were designed for kids. The storylines were good, the characters innocent enough; but it also left enough open to the imagination also.

Now they seem more adult-oriented, and I think that spoils that for the younger kids, because I wouldn't let one of my kids buy/bring home one of the new Bat Woman comics.

So one can say "They're here, they're queer" all they want. Does't mean I have to let it into my household. And I don't simply say that because the character is lesbian; but I'd hold that standard up for any other type of material they decide to put into comics that I, as a parent, feels is inappropriate and objectionable for children.

westofyou
06-02-2006, 10:58 AM
It use to be that comics were designed for kids.Electronic handheld devices took care off that, and the publishers folowed the folks who grew up picking the things of the rotating rack.

savafan
06-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Kids can't really afford to go hogwild collecting comics anymore. It was a lot easier back when the cover price was $.75 an issue. What are they now, $4.95?

westofyou
06-02-2006, 02:47 PM
It was a lot easier back when the cover price was $.75 an issue. Now you're just making me feel old.

I remember when they were 15 cents.

savafan
06-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Now you're just making me feel old.

I have some of those that my grandma gave me. :p:

RedsFan75
06-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I have some of those that my grandma gave me. :p:
Ouch!

I remember the 10 cent ones! :D

KronoRed
06-02-2006, 04:30 PM
What are they now, $4.95?
And only in specialty shops.

The boat sailed on comics for kids, it's a collectors hobby now.

KittyDuran
06-02-2006, 04:35 PM
And only in specialty shops.

The boat sailed on comics for kids, it's a collectors hobby now.I was going to mention this... comics are mostly for adults now, just like some animations.

savafan
06-02-2006, 04:51 PM
I no longer buy comics, but I can check out the graphic novels at the library.

Dom Heffner
06-02-2006, 05:30 PM
What are they now, $4.95?

But how much did their parents make back then?

Puffy
06-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I woulda thought it would have made more sense for Catwoman to be a lesbian. I mean she already likes the p........

You get my meaning :evil:

GAC
06-03-2006, 06:53 AM

I remember when they were 10 cents, and an annual was a quarter. My only reason for having a paper route was to feed my comic book addiction. :lol:

GAC
06-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Electronic handheld devices took care off that, and the publishers folowed the folks who grew up picking the things of the rotating rack.

You're absolutely right.

Before I lost all mine in the fire, my kids loved to read them.

My daughter loved Archie, and my 10 yr old found out that Hulk, Spiderman, and Batman existed long before he discovered them.

Raisor
06-04-2006, 07:21 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Justice_league_green_lantern.jpg

John Stewart has been a Green Lantern for 30 years now. There's a bunch of Lanterns, even one with a Moe Howard haircut.

As for Batwoman being a lesbian, I could care less. It's not Barbara Gordon, they aren't outing Batgirl. It's Earth II's Kathy Kane, who no one gives a rat's behind about anyway.

TeamCasey
06-04-2006, 08:38 PM

$0.25.

I remember buying Archie Comic Digest for 75 cents.

Mad Magazine was 35, I think

KronoRed
06-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Archie was the bomb.

GAC
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
John Stewart has been a Green Lantern for 30 years now.

You mean about 20. ;)

The GL I remember, and was raised on, was this one though (test pilot Hal Jordan).

http://www.comicsvf.com/scans/vodc/greenlanternv2/16.jpg

Raisor
06-05-2006, 03:14 PM
You mean about 20. ;)

actually, I mean 30. He debuted in 1972.

The GL I remember, and was raised on, was this one though (test pilot Hal Jordan).

http://www.comicsvf.com/scans/vodc/greenlanternv2/16.jpg

And he's back now as the co-Lantern of Earth (along with John).

Rojo
06-08-2006, 03:44 PM
I hate when they hurl their repelling ray at you.

gonelong
06-08-2006, 05:17 PM
I hate when they hurl their repelling ray at you.

Me too, though I've noticed that some times you can defeat it with a few drinks and an amusing anecdote or two. Some times.

GL