PDA

View Full Version : In season trades...(Wayno please take note)

SanDiegoRed
06-01-2006, 11:26 AM
What in season trade got you really fired up about our Cincinnati Reds? I remember when the Reds acquired Tom Terrific on June 15th 1977 and how excited I was about this trade. If there had been a Redszone back then, I am sure that the server would have crashed big time. What other trades gave you pennant fever?

RedsManRick
06-01-2006, 11:30 AM
The last trade which got me hyped up was the Juan Guzman acquisition in '99. He was great for us and had we beaten the Mutts in the 1 game playoff, he would've been hailed as the reason we made the playoffs. Of course, I had no idea who BJ Ryan was......

savafan
06-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Two in-season trades that really stand out in my memories as ones I got excited about were Kal Daniels and Lenny Harris to the Dodgers for Mariano Duncan and Tim Leary in 1989 and Ron Robinson and Bob Sebra to the Brewers for Glenn Braggs and Billy Bates in 1990.

princeton
06-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Bill Doran's acquisition was a great trade that turned out to be unnecessary.

David Wells' acquisition was a great trade that should have worked

Johnny Footstool
06-01-2006, 12:22 PM
I was excited about the Ryan Dempster trade in 2002. But like the Reds, I didn't know Dempster was pitching with torn ligaments in his elbow. I figured it was something mechanical that Gullett could fix. :angry:

cumberlandreds
06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
What in season trade got you really fired up about our Cincinnati Reds? I remember when the Reds acquired Tom Terrific on June 15th 1977 and how excited I was about this trade. If there had been a Redszone back then, I am sure that the server would have crashed big time. What other trades gave you pennant fever?

You are correct,Redszone would have crashed in 1977. Getting Tom Seaver was a huge deal! Seaver was a great pitcher and getting him a trade in which the Reds didn't have to trade away a star player was really a coup. I remember thinking when the trade went down that the Reds would come from behind and easily overtake the Dodgers. But it didn't happen. I really don't think the Reds have made an in season trade of this magnitude since or maybe every will again. Today this would equal to getting someone like Pedro Martinez for a couple of minor leaguers.

redsupport
06-01-2006, 01:42 PM
getting Clay Carroll

redsfan30
06-01-2006, 01:44 PM
I was excited about the Ryan Dempster trade in 2002. But like the Reds, I didn't know Dempster was pitching with torn ligaments in his elbow. I figured it was something mechanical that Gullett could fix. :angry:
Same here.

Jr's Boy
06-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Please don't refer to Krivsky as ''Wayno''.Reminds me of ''Dano''too much.

EddieMilner
06-01-2006, 02:37 PM
The last trade which got me hyped up was the Juan Guzman acquisition in '99. He was great for us and had we beaten the Mutts in the 1 game playoff, he would've been hailed as the reason we made the playoffs. Of course, I had no idea who BJ Ryan was......

I agree, they needed something to make a run, found it, and were pretty darn close to having it pay off.

I live 250 miles from GABP right now, and if the Reds make a big move, I would immediately buy a pro-rated season ticket package to show the owners I will supoort a team that tries to find players to make them better. I wouldn't even get to go to but 10 games.

RedsNeck
06-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Please don't Krivsky as ''Wayno''.Reminds me of ''Dano''too much.

Amen brother. He has done nothing to deserve such a slight.

zombie-a-go-go
06-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Same here.

Dempster, Estes, and Mohler.

And to think that I thought those were good things. :lol:

I still like Dempster, though. Even if he is a Cub. Everyone's dated an ugly dame at one time or another.

vic715
06-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Freddie Norman in 1973. Reds were about 7 or 8 games back of LA when they got him. It seemed like he must have beaten the Reds every time he pitched against them and when they got him he really took off. I think he was 1-7 with SD and he ended up winning 11 or 12 games for the Reds who ended up winning the West by 4 or 5 games.

Hap
06-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Getting Tom Seaver was a huge deal! Today this would equal to getting someone like Pedro Martinez for a couple of minor leaguers.

The Reds gave up more than a couple minor leaguers for Seaver. Pat Zachry was coming off a Rookie Of The Year season and Doug Flynn was on his way to becoming a gold-glove second baseman.

Dan Norman and Steve Henderson, however, were in fact a couple of minor leaguers.

Spitball
06-01-2006, 08:37 PM
The Reds gave up more than a couple minor leaguers for Seaver. Pat Zachry was coming off a Rookie Of The Year season and Doug Flynn was on his way to becoming a gold-glove second baseman.

Dan Norman and Steve Henderson, however, were in fact a couple of minor leaguers.

However, Zachary was suffering through a "sophmore slump" and Doug Flynn was merely a utility player with the Reds.

I remember the Boston television sportscaster I was watching that night introduced the story by saying, "Today, the Cincinnati Reds acquired Tom Seaver from the New York Mets in exchange for a Big Mac, medium fry, and a coke."

I was so giddy, I repeated the story to anyone who'd listen. I wasn't as excited the next morning when I found out the Reds had traded away Gary Nolan.

MartyFan
06-02-2006, 12:37 AM

That was the first trade that came to my mind as well.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Ok, I'm not too proud to admit it now, but I was pretty excited when we got Deion Sanders for Roberto Kelly in 1994.

Speaking of Kelly, I remember being happy to get him for O'Neil in '91 or '92.

In hindsight, that one obviously looks real, real bad.

cincinnati chili
06-02-2006, 01:27 AM
I was a pretty jazzed 12-year-old when the Reds traded away Tom Lawless to get a 43-year old player-manager named Pete Rose.

toledodan
06-02-2006, 02:13 AM

wasn't that trade in 95?

toledodan
06-02-2006, 02:17 AM
wasn't that trade in 95?

never mind i should try doing some research next time.:bang: :D
he did put up some good numbers in 99 for us.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/guzmaju01.shtml

THNDRacket
06-02-2006, 06:43 PM
I remember getting Bill Gullickson from the Montreal Expos with Sal Butera to the Cincinnati Reds for Jay Tibbs, Andy McGaffigan, John Stuper, and Dann Bilardello in Dec 85. I ran around telling everyone "The Reds just won the pennant! The Reds just won the pennant!"

They turned him around a couple years later for Dennis Rasmussen.