PDA

View Full Version : Because the Wild Card is stupid

EddieMilner
06-01-2006, 04:04 PM
If you could change around the divisions in baseball for more regional play, what would your baseball divisions look like?

registerthis
06-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Your argument is fallacious, because the wild card is the best thing to happen to baseball since the animatronic scoreboard. :)

redsfan30
06-01-2006, 04:08 PM
The wildcard, in my opinion is a fantastic thing for baseball. It gives cities that normally wouldn't make the playoffs a fighting chance.

At the deadline last year, weren't there only something like 3 or 4 teams (Reds included) who could honestly say they had no shot whatsoever of making the playoffs? That's because of the wildcard.

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 04:09 PM
East
Mets
Phillies
Nations
Braves
Marlins
Pirates
Reds
Cubs

WEST
Padres
Dodgers
Giants
Rockies
D-Backs
Astros
Cardinals
Brewers

I don't like our chances in that division either.

redsfan30
06-01-2006, 04:14 PM
East
Mets
Phillies
Nations
Braves
Marlins
Pirates
Reds
Cubs

WEST
Padres
Dodgers
Giants
Rockies
D-Backs
Astros
Cardinals
Brewers

So with a two division set-up, do you just take the top two teams from each division and put them in the playoffs?

Tommyjohn25
06-01-2006, 04:14 PM
East
Mets
Phillies
Nations
Braves
Marlins
Pirates
Reds
Cubs

WEST
Padres
Dodgers
Giants
Rockies
D-Backs
Astros
Cardinals
Brewers

First off, I love the wild card. Second, I would like the Reds chances alot more in the above listed division than the current NL Central.

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 04:17 PM
First off, I love the wild card. Second, I would like the Reds chances alot more in the above listed division than the current NL Central.
Oh, I agree. I just posted those two divisions as kind of a sacrcastic reply to the original post. That NL West would be a mother, wouldn't it?

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 04:19 PM
If you could change around the divisions in baseball for more regional play, what would your baseball divisions look like?
Ahhh... a change in the original post. I like the breakdown of divisions the way it is now. Nothings perfect, but it's pretty good.

EddieMilner
06-01-2006, 04:20 PM
I would retract the Blue Jays and Devil Rays and make four divisions of 7 regional teams.

East Division
Mets
Yankees
Red Sox
Nationals
Baltimore
Philadelphia
Atlanta

Central
Milwaukee
Detroit
Cleveland
Chicago Whitesox
Chicago Cubs
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

South Division
Atlanta
Houston
St. Louis
Texas
Kansas City
Marlins
Rockies

West Division
Seattle
San Fran
Oakland
Angels
Dodgers
Phoenix
San Diego

The champion of the east would play the champion of the Central
The Champion the west would play the champion of the south

cincyinco
06-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I miss the old divisions.. the east and west.. when the dodgers were a big rival.. maybe thats just me though..

Love the wildcard tho.

Tommyjohn25
06-01-2006, 04:22 PM
That NL West would be a mother, wouldn't it?

Oh my God yes. That division would be reeeediculous.

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 04:23 PM
I would retract the Blue Jays and Devil Rays and make four divisions of 7 regional teams.

East Division
Mets
Yankees
Red Sox
Nationals
Baltimore
Philadelphia
Atlanta

Central
Milwaukee
Detroit
Cleveland
Chicago Whitesox
Chicago Cubs
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

South Division
Atlanta
Houston
St. Louis
Texas
Kansas City
Marlins
Rockies

West Division
Seattle
San Fran
Oakland
Angels
Dodgers
Phoenix
San Diego

I don't hate much. But I hate that idea. Thankfully it will no happen.

westofyou
06-01-2006, 04:23 PM
I don't care for the wildcard, but I also hate the thought of 8 team divisions

I also loath the stressing of "regional" contests, the whole reason the National League was founded was to alleviate that very boring aspect of league play.

I'm for a balanced schedule.

Divisions

East - Mets, Phillies, Marlins, Nationals

Rust - Pittsburgh, Brewers, Cincinnati, Chicago

South - Rockies, Astros, Cardinals, Braves

West - Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Padres, Giants

Once the Marlins move Atlanta goes into the East and the West and South can fight over the carcass.

162 Balanced Schedule - Division Winners only

redsmetz
06-01-2006, 04:24 PM
I concur about the Wild Card - I've felt this way since 1980 when the O's finished with a record of 100-62 and missed the playoffs behind the 103-59 Yankees, while the Royals went 97-65 to take the West (which wasn't shabby either).

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 04:27 PM
IOnce the Marlins move Atlanta goes into the East and the West and South can fight over the carcass.

San Antonio fits nicely into that equation.

westofyou
06-01-2006, 04:28 PM
San Antonio fits nicely into that equation.
I was thinking Portland myself.

EddieMilner
06-01-2006, 04:31 PM
If you win your division, you shouldn't have to face the team that finished behind you in the playoffs. The cards should have been there last year against the White Sox, not the Astros.

redsmetz
06-01-2006, 04:45 PM
If you win your division, you shouldn't have to face the team that finished behind you in the playoffs. The cards should have been there last year against the White Sox, not the Astros.

So the Wild Card team gets to play the first series, but if their Division opponent wins their series, tough luck?

EddieMilner
06-01-2006, 04:47 PM
So the Wild Card team gets to play the first series, but if their Division opponent wins their series, tough luck?

No, the wild card doesn't exist. therefore they wouldn't play in a first series.

redsmetz
06-01-2006, 04:49 PM
No, the wild card doesn't exist. therefore they wouldn't play in a first series.

Gotcha.

vaticanplum
06-01-2006, 04:53 PM

I don't know, I really like that aspect of the wild card system. You have to prove your worth over a long, tiring season, and then it's do-or-die against the best. I think it adds a lot of excitement.

M2
06-01-2006, 04:54 PM
I figure we're within a decade of another round of expansion. At that point MLB can consider whether to make it three or four divisions per league, with the Wild Card obviously dropping in the four-team set up.

One thing I've always wanted to done is to split the leagues into east/west groupings. It's much more TV and fan friendly to keep games within your own timezone as much as possible. West coast road games barely gets seen by the folks back east.

Anyway, what I'd really like to see is the Reds get into a Rust Belt division with the Indians, Tigers and Pirates.

EddieMilner
06-01-2006, 05:05 PM
I figure we're within a decade of another round of expansion. At that point MLB can consider whether to make it three or four divisions per league, with the Wild Card obviously dropping in the four-team set up.

One thing I've always wanted to done is to split the leagues into east/west groupings. It's much more TV and fan friendly to keep games within your own timezone as much as possible. West coast road games barely gets seen by the folks back east.

Anyway, what I'd really like to see is the Reds get into a Rust Belt division with the Indians, Tigers and Pirates.

I would hate to see how much worse pitching could be if there were even more teams.

Hap
06-01-2006, 05:07 PM

East Division
Mets
Yankees
Red Sox
Nationals
Baltimore
Philadelphia
Atlanta

Central
Milwaukee
Detroit
Cleveland
Chicago Whitesox
Chicago Cubs
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

South Division
Atlanta
Houston
St. Louis
Texas
Kansas City
Marlins
Rockies

West Division
Seattle
San Fran
Oakland
Angels
Dodgers
Phoenix
San Diego

You have Atlanta in two different divisions and no mention of the Minnesota Twins.

westofyou
06-01-2006, 05:07 PM
I would hate to see how much worse pitching could be if there were even more teams.
Throw some neutral parks in there and a few more pitching parks and watch it swing.

As for team movement or expansion, Portland would probably be pitching friendly, Vegas not so much.

RedFanAlways1966
06-01-2006, 05:08 PM

I always wondered if this really had to do with the number of teams or the strike-zone "made up" by the umpires (not to be confused with the one in the rule book).

Obviously when there are more teams, the numbers speak for themselves in regard to the "quality pitchers per team". But how many more "good pitchers" would there be if the strike zone was not the size of a soup can?

EddieMilner
06-01-2006, 05:18 PM
You have Atlanta in two different divisions and no mention of the Minnesota Twins.

Good Call,

Take Atlanta out of the East, Move Pittsburgh to the East as well, and then have Minnesota in the Central. That would be the correct way.

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Throw some neutral parks in there and a few more pitching parks and watch it swing.

As for team movement or expansion, Portland would probably be pitching friendly, Vegas not so much.

Haven't they (Bud the Pud) said that Vegas is a no way. I thought San Antonio was the next hotspot after DC but I have not heard much on that front recently.

KronoRed
06-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Eight four team divisions.

Problem is most of the expansion candidates are out west, already have 8 team out west so 2 teams are going to be traveling, I say Colorado and Arizona :D

AL East
New York
Boston
Toronto
Baltimore
AL Central
Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
Minnesota
AL Southwest
Texas
Kansas City
Colorado
Arizona
AL West
Anaheim
Seattle
Oakland
Las Vegas

NL East
New York
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington
NL South
Atlanta
Florida
Houston
Tampa Bay
NL Central
Cincinnati
St.Louis
Chicago
Milwaukee
NL West
San Diego
San Fransisco
Portland
Los Angeles

cincinnati chili
06-02-2006, 02:23 AM
Eliminate the divisions entirely and play a balanced schedule without interleague play.

I'm fine with 8 teams making the playoffs as they do now. Just seed them 1-4 based on record in the league.

saboforthird
06-02-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't particularly care for the wildcard thing. To me, it's more about making MLB money than it is about giving more teams a chance to play in the playoffs. In my opinion the game was so much more fun when only the BEST of the teams made the playoffs, and the focus (from a fan's perspective) was on watching the best of the best players in the world strut their stuff. Anymore, the focus seems to be on mid-season trades to help weaker teams make the playoffs, and with so many teams in the field the level of talent across the board has thinned noticeably.