PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup vs. Dora the Explora

dabvu2498
06-02-2006, 11:19 AM
The Oilers' quest of a sixth Stanley Cup title could put them in direct conflict with the Dora the Explorer stage show set for Rexall Place June 17.

The NHL, however, has scheduled Game 6 of the final that night should the series go that far.

Northlands Park was aware of the potential problem when the NHL released its schedule Tuesday.

Northlands Park runs Rexall Place, the arena the Oilers play in.

Spokeswoman Bonni Clark said the NHL, Rexall Place and organizers for the Dora show are working to find a solution for all parties involved.

This is the second time the Dora stage show has affected the NHL's playoff scheduling.

During the second round, the Ottawa Senators were forced delay Game 2 against the Buffalo Sabres because the popular show was scheduled for Scotiabank Place on May 6 and 7.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stanleycup2006/storyview.html?/story/stanleycup2006/national/2006/05/31/oilers-leave-town.html

Blimpie
06-02-2006, 11:26 AM
I blame (Bob) Boots...

westofyou
06-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Even more of a problem could be the humidity and the effect it has on the ice in Carolina.

This is a toss up series, the Oilers are a lot like the Sabres and that type of team gives the Canes more trouble than a Red wing/Senator type of team.

I'm riding the hot starter and going Oilers in 7

Blimpie
06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Even more of a problem could be the humidity and the effect it has on the ice in Carolina.

This is a toss up series, the Oilers are a lot like the Sabres and that type of team gives the Canes more trouble than a Red wing/Senator type of team.

I'm riding the hot starter and going Oilers in 7:beerme:

Sounds like the bandwagon will now be a tandem bicycle...I still can't believe that the Oilers got past your Red Wings--let alone made it to the Finals.

They are playing with the house's money right now, and doing it with Roloson standing on his head ain't too bad either!

dabvu2498
06-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Canes in 5. Dora's show must go on.

westofyou
06-02-2006, 11:41 AM
I still can't believe that the Oilers got past your Red Wings--let alone made it to the Finals.

Ride the back of goalie and back check and don't make mistakes, the Sabres had the same thing going for them, but injuries dragged them down.

I'm a big believer in the goalie is a god theory in this stage of the season. add in Pronger and it's like riding Bob Gibson AND Sandy Koufax in the 60's, pure energy as both men front for your team. The Oilers are feeding off it and that creates energy, add that to playing mistake free hockey.

The Canes are a vet team and Brind Amour and Weight are tenacious, but the back end of their team is not as strong as the Oilers, and the goalie situation could become an issue if they get surprised in the start and fall behind a couple of games.

savafan
06-02-2006, 02:43 PM
This is why hockey is a second class sport. You'd never see Dora the Explorer putting the World Series or Superbowl in jeopardy.

westofyou
06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
This is why hockey is a second class sport. You'd never see Dora the Explorer putting the World Series or Superbowl in jeopardy.
No, that's why Edmonton is a small market, because they don't have the facilities to take care of both and they didn't think they'd be in the finals due to recent history.

Second class sport... pshawww.... why I oughta.....

Blimpie
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
A few years ago, wasn't it the Republican National Convention that forced the Houston Astros to act like nomads for the better part of a month? Stuff happens.

dabvu2498
06-02-2006, 03:57 PM
There was also an article I read this morning (can't find it now) pumping up the idea of there being two "small market" teams in the Stanley Cup Finals now with a new labor agreement in place. I guess they forgot who the last two Stanley Cup finalists were.

Johnny Footstool
06-02-2006, 04:51 PM
According to George Carlin, hockey is the perfect combination of two sports: ice skating and beating the crap out of someone.

westofyou
06-02-2006, 04:55 PM
According to George Carlin, hockey is the perfect combination of two sports: ice skating and beating the crap out of someone.
Fighting in hockey is an overplayed hand, doesn't happen that much.

Vilolence and hockey on the other hand is another story.

deltachi8
06-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Same thing happened in Ottawa during round 2. Game 2 had to be moved because of Dora the Explorer.

That being said, I think it will be a very good series, I think the canes are very good team and they have been coached wonderfully. Injuries or not, they were the better team against the Sabres and deserved that series. (And thats difficult to say being a Sabres fan and about to become a season ticket holder)

I like the Oilers with their two former Sabres who have played terrific (Rolloson and Peca) and love Pronger's game.

It's a toss up in my book, but WOY has apoint, the ice in Carolina could come into play. I'll say Canes in 7, but wouldn't bet the house on it.

westofyou
06-06-2006, 08:16 PM
The game yesterday was pretty good, however without Roloson it's going to be a tough row to hoe for the Oilers, the Canes roll 4 lines pretty well and 3 of them are scoring threats at anytime.. which is evident by the comback that came whilst I was watching the Reds game thinking the Oilers had it wrapped up.

One thing is for sure, you don't win games without winning a few faceoffs now and then. Brind Amour is a beast in the circle and the Canes are primed to show how matchups control this game when it gets at the higher level.

marcshoe
06-06-2006, 08:23 PM
I'll take the Stanley cup over Dora, but Dora wins handily against the NBA finals. :p:

dabvu2498
06-07-2006, 10:21 AM
I'll take the Stanley cup over Dora, but Dora wins handily against the NBA finals. :p:
No way. The NBA Finals are outstanding. The rest of the year, not so much.

Blimpie
06-07-2006, 02:50 PM
The game yesterday was pretty good, however without Roloson it's going to be a tough row to hoe for the Oilers, the Canes roll 4 lines pretty well and 3 of them are scoring threats at anytime.. which is evident by the comback that came whilst I was watching the Reds game thinking the Oilers had it wrapped up.I was flipping back & forth and wished that I never saw any of it. Blowing a three goal lead on the road is never fun to watch, but to lose Roloson in the process was like taking a kick to the throat. I just don't see how the Oilers can recover mentally from this one.

M2
06-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Swiper no cross checking!

registerthis
06-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Fighting in hockey is an overplayed hand, doesn't happen that much.

Particularly this year, the new rules implemented certainly kept the fighting down. What's Jody Shelley going to do for a living now?

westofyou
06-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Particularly this year, the new rules implemented certainly kept the fighting down. What's Jody Shelley going to do for a living now?
You could tell how much it was done by the few Scott Parker sightings.

registerthis
06-09-2006, 03:04 PM
You could tell how much it was done by the few Scott Parker sightings.

Or Kryzstof Oliwa, for that matter.

dabvu2498
06-09-2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.funtrivia.com/submitquiz.cfm?quiz=132042

deltachi8
06-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Swiper no cross checking!

aw, man!