PDA

View Full Version : Nats to have fire sale?

Matt700wlw
06-02-2006, 05:45 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/01/AR2006060101727.html

KronoRed
06-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Good call, that team needs major help in the minors.

savafan
I'd like to see Nick Johnson in a Reds uniform

redsfan4445
Bowden would try to steal talent from us and not give us a fair deal.. doubt we trade with him

pedro
06-02-2006, 05:49 PM
They can give us chad cordero if they want.

KronoRed
06-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Bowden would try to steal talent from us and not give us a fair deal.. doubt we trade with him
Bowden won't be the one running the show.

HotCorner
06-02-2006, 06:35 PM

Likewise. He would rake at GABP!

Hondo
06-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Patterson, Armas, and Soriano are high on my list. Johnson is not. We already have Dunn, Hattenburg, and Aurilla to play 1st.

JaredRoberts.com

savafan
06-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Patterson, Armas, and Soriano are high on my list. Johnson is not. We already have Dunn, Hattenburg, and Aurilla to play 1st.

JaredRoberts.com

Dunn's not going to first. Hatteburg and Aurilia aren't long term answers. Johnson is.

registerthis
06-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Dunn's not going to first. Hatteburg and Aurilia aren't long term answers. Johnson is.

Exactly.

Johnny Footstool
06-02-2006, 06:48 PM
A multitude of teams covet Nick Johnson, so he'd get a good return in terms of talent.

I'd focus on Patterson and Armas.

alexad
06-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Bowden can not deal (Please see Cincinnati Reds). I think we can get something from him for very little. He will want low minor league type players who may or may not pan out.

I like Johnson if the Reds are not going after Sean Casey. I am unsure about Armas since he has had arm trouble. Bowden tried to get him a few ago from the Expos, so maybe he would like to keep him.

Of course we might have a 5 tool outfielder somewhere that would interest him. I am not sure where but we might have to really really look hard and just say we have one to get his attention.

savafan
06-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Of course we might have a 5 tool outfielder somewhere that would interest him. I am not sure where but we might have to really really look hard and just say we have one to get his attention.

It's like you're reading my mind alex.

alexad
06-02-2006, 07:44 PM
It's like you're reading my mind alex.
You know Bowden is just drueling about the idea of someone saying 5 tool outfielder.

We could make a commercial with Jim Bowden's nose sniffing yelling 5 tool outfielder, 5 tool outfielder. Like the Baconstrip commerical.

CaiGuy
06-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Stay away from the likes of Soriano and Aramas.

Chad Cordero would sure look nice in the pen, and Patterson in the rotation. Johnson is my favorite, but it isn't worth the price. I don't know how realistic the price for any of these guys would be, but I imagine it not being low.

Caveat Emperor
06-02-2006, 07:49 PM

Which makes me curious what we could extract from the Nationals if we gave them a 5-tool player that Bowden is familiar with and likely overvalues -- say a chap named Austin Kearns.

alexad
06-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Which makes me curious what we could extract from the Nationals if we gave them a 5-tool player that Bowden is familiar with and likely overvalues -- say a chap named Austin Kearns.

Keans is playing well, but I have to wonder what Chris D can really do. I am not sure we can trade a good hitting outfielder right now when we can not score runs to save our lives.

Who would have thought the starting pitching would be so good?

Highlifeman21
06-02-2006, 08:09 PM

I couldn't agree anymore. He would easily be our everyday 1B, making Hatteberg and Aurillia trade fodder.

Unfortunately that wouldn't solve the defensive liability in LF or CF, so would his bat justify the lack of D for 2/3 of our OF?

savafan
06-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately that wouldn't solve the defensive liability in LF or CF, so would his bat justify the lack of D for 2/3 of our OF?

I've got nothing to back me up but my gut, but I say yes.

Highlifeman21
06-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Bowden can not deal (Please see Cincinnati Reds). I think we can get something from him for very little. He will want low minor league type players who may or may not pan out.

I like Johnson if the Reds are not going after Sean Casey. I am unsure about Armas since he has had arm trouble. Bowden tried to get him a few ago from the Expos, so maybe he would like to keep him.

Why on Earth would we want to bring Sean Casey back? If he signed for less than 2 mil a year, I could maybe pretend that this might be a decent move, but I can't imagine him signing a deal that low.

I was never sold on Casey's D ability, and his ability to GIDP just frightens me. I don't really see him as that much of an upgrade over our current platoon if it's an upgrade at all.

Highlifeman21
06-02-2006, 08:16 PM
I've got nothing to back me up but my gut, but I say yes.

And I think your gut is right.

Nick Johnson Career Numbers

OBP SLG G F%
.386 .449 506 .993

409 Defensive games @ 1B and defense we could definitely use. Low career SLG is a minor concern, but the .386 OBP makes up for it in my book.

CaiGuy
06-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Nick's power numbers would go up in GABP, and would go nicely with his awsome on base skills.

It is highly unrealistic, though, to foresee him as a Red in the future.

Johnny Footstool
06-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Nick Johnson's bat is not what the Reds need. They need pitching. Any resources spent on Nick Johnson would be better spent on acquiring a quality major league pitcher.

captainmorgan07
06-03-2006, 12:54 AM
the fire sale will start with jimbo getin fired again just like last time

KronoRed
06-03-2006, 01:22 AM
the fire sale will start with jimbo getin fired again just like last time
Yep, Stan Kasten will hire his own guy, heck he might run it himself

tripleaaaron
06-03-2006, 04:18 AM
Definately don't want Soriano, although good, he seems to be to focused on himself and wouldn't be good for the chemistry of the clubhouse, would take Johnson, Armas or Cordero though anyday of the week, or even a cheaper Jon Rauch

GAC
06-03-2006, 07:28 AM
"Can ya hear me know?"

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/06/01/PH2006060102148.jpg

alexad
06-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Why on Earth would we want to bring Sean Casey back? If he signed for less than 2 mil a year, I could maybe pretend that this might be a decent move, but I can't imagine him signing a deal that low.

I was never sold on Casey's D ability, and his ability to GIDP just frightens me. I don't really see him as that much of an upgrade over our current platoon if it's an upgrade at all.

I never said to bring him back. I was stating what many on this board has said and even Casey himself has said Cincinnati is place he would like to return to. Even Kriv has not said "No" to the idea of Casey returning next year.