PDA

View Full Version : Wellemeyer DFA'd

Phhhl
06-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Marlins designated RHP Todd Wellemeyer for assignment.
More consistent work still didn't lead to better command from Wellemeyer. He gave up 13 runs and walked 13 in 21 1/3 innings during his two months with the Marlins. Jun. 2 - 6:02 pm et

This is the type of guy the Reds should take a long look at. He's no kid anymore, and maybe he's done. But, he hasn't had as many chances as Estaban Yan and his arm is just as good. Wellemeyer throws gas. I'd give him White's spot.

Gallen5862
06-02-2006, 11:14 PM
He might be worth a look at least.

flyer85
06-02-2006, 11:16 PM
the funny thing is he is a younger version of Yan. Great stuff with very questionable command.

traderumor
06-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Yup, go get another cheap power arm. I always thought he got used horribly in Chicago (yes, shocking that Dusty would not know how to use a good arm). Get a couple of hard throwers and put Hammond out there and you might have a good mix.

flyer85
06-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Yup, go get another cheap power arm. I always thought he got used horribly in Chicago (yes, shocking that Dusty would not know how to use a good arm).
the Cubs play musical chairs with young pitchers. I sure wouldn't mind Wuertz who has been getting the shaft this year.

Phhhl
06-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I like Wuertz. And, I REALLY like Aardsma. I find it amazing that clubs can just go out and stumble into deals for Jerome Williams and Aardsma for a bullpenner like Hawkins, while we sat back all those years and cried about not being able to "develop" pitching. But, that's beside the point...

I am not saying I would be disappointed if the Reds don't move on Wellemeyer specifically, but he is exactly the type of pitcher we need to consider for the pen. There may be some competition for his services.

Boston Red
06-03-2006, 04:30 AM
Louisville Eastern HS and Bellarmine College kid. Go get him!

Spitball
06-03-2006, 08:20 AM
If Wellemeyer had pitched as hoped in the spring, I believe Scott Williamson would have been dealt by the Cubs. Now, two teams have given up on the guy in short order, I hope the Reds stay away.