PDA

View Full Version : Best Reds Management Decisions?

Ltlabner
06-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Over all the years there've been a lot of player moves, or team management decisions that have effected our beloved Cincinnati Redlegs. Which moves by the team do you think were the most important or inflentual for the teams success? Or just important in team history in general.

My knowledge of baseball history starts around the begining stages of the BRM so I know it's limited. Hopefully someone can detail player/management moves before that time period to spice things up.

My vote is tied. It's either moving Rose to 3rd in May, 1975 which was the last key in the BRM puzzle and everything else fell into place OR the hiring of Bob Housem as GM (sp?).

sdwagers
06-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Firing Vern Rapp. :thumbup:

KoryMac5
06-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Going out and getting Joe Morgan from the Colt 45's to me was what put the Reds over the top. Adding more speed and hustle to the team really made them tough to beat on a nightly basis because they now had soooo many ways to beat you.

JEA
06-03-2006, 10:09 PM
I have always been amazed by what the club was able to do in 1990. The Reds made a lot of small moves, but collectively, they turned out to be quite huge. When you do stuff like that, and then combine it with players having career years and most of your team staying healthy, you win championships. 1990 is such a great example.

Obviously, hiring Lou to take over for Pete was a great pre-season move.

The Leary for Morris deal could be seen as a positive, seeing how Leary lost 19 games for New York and Morris hit .340. (But Leary still posted a league-average ERA,)

Picking up Hatcher from the Pirates in April was big, in addition to Braggs a few months later and Doran a few months after that.

Again, a lot of guys had career years (ones they'd never repeat), but that season is a great example of how a handful of small but smart moves can put a team over the top.

PTI (pti)
06-04-2006, 04:01 PM
More recently, the events that brought Aaron Harang to the Reds was pretty darn good. I believe they picked up Jose Guillen off waivers after he'd been released by the Diamondbacks (and Pirates, and Devil Rays, etc, etc). In a little over 1/2 a season, he hit .336 with 23 homers and 63 RBI - and was the MVP of a team that stayed in the playoff chase for a good part of the season. Once he inevitably blew up (fighting with management, beating up the clubhouse, etc) they traded him for Harang - and now Harang is looking like a very durable #1/2 starter.

You can't ask for a much better series of moves than that.

westofyou
06-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Pre 1900 - Moving to the National League during the Players League Sanafu.

1900-1920 - Obtaining Edd Roush and Mathewson for manager Herzog and making Mathewson manager

1920-1945 - Larry McPhail convincing Powel Crosley to buy Reds, Powell Crosley hiring Warren Giles.

1945-1966 - Hiring Bobby Mattick as Scout (signed Vada, Robby, Curt Flood and Jim Maloney)

1967-1984 - Hiring Bob Howsam - Doing it again

1985-1994 - Choosing Larkin over Stillwell.

1995-2000 - Drafting Kearns and Dunn

2000-2005 - Firing Dan O'Brien.

Ltlabner
06-04-2006, 06:08 PM
WOY, I'd agree with the DanO decision. I especially like that BC wasted no time and cleaned him out on his 1st full day as owner.

Mutaman
06-04-2006, 06:56 PM
The Banana Man selling the team.

dman
06-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Though his tenure in Cincinnati was short lived, I think hiring Davey Johnson to manage the Reds was a good move

Red in Chicago
06-04-2006, 08:43 PM
1985-1994 - Choosing Larkin over Stillwell.

looking back, i can't even believe there was a debate about this...all i remember about kurt now, is that he was a handsome little devil ;)

westofyou
06-04-2006, 08:49 PM
looking back, i can't even believe there was a debate about this...all i remember about kurt now, is that he was a handsome little devil ;)
Kurts dad was a MLB player, so chances are his scouting makeup played that up.

George Foster
06-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Not putting Jack Armstrong in the rotation against the Pirates was a pretty good move. He did start the all-star game that year, but he had a horrible
2nd half of the season. It would have been real tempting to put him in the rotation hoping he would find the magic that he lost.

Note: He never found the magic again. Armstrong is the biggest flash in the pan the reds have ever had IMO. Starting the All-Star game to falling off the earth. Sad. Was he traded to the Marlins or released?

wolfboy
06-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Not putting Jack Armstrong in the rotation against the Pirates was a pretty good move. He did start the all-star game that year, but he had a horrible
2nd half of the season. It would have been real tempting to put him in the rotation hoping he would find the magic that he lost.

Note: He never found the magic again. Armstrong is the biggest flash in the pan the reds have ever had IMO. Starting the All-Star game to falling off the earth. Sad. Was he traded to the Marlins or released?

He was moved to Cleveland for Greg Swindell after the '91 season.

George Foster
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
He was moved to Cleveland for Greg Swindell after the '91 season.
No one could sweat like Swindell. He looked like he just got out of the shower by the 2nd out in the first inning.

IowaRed
06-04-2006, 10:16 PM
acquiring George Foster from SF for Frank Duffy and Vern Geishert

and

acquiring Joe Morgan, Cesar Geronimo, Jack Billingham, Ed Armbrister, and Denis Menke for Tommy Helms, Lee May, and Jimmy "Harvey" Stewart

oh yeah, and getting rid of DO

NastyBoy
06-04-2006, 10:23 PM
1998 Draft - Kearns, Dunn & Coffey. Not only did they score big with their number 1 and number 2 picks, Coffey drafted 41st!?!

dougdirt
06-04-2006, 10:26 PM
You know, that 1998 draft also had some kid named Felipe Lopez taken onepick after Austin Kearns in the first round....where did he end up at? :)

I do have one thing to add to the list that I cant believe hasnt shown up yet....

Playing night baseball! Think about what that has done for the sport.

Cedric
06-04-2006, 10:31 PM
You know, that 1998 draft also had some kid named Felipe Lopez taken onepick after Austin Kearns in the first round....where did he end up at? :)

I do have one thing to add to the list that I cant believe hasnt shown up yet....

Playing night baseball! Think about what that has done for the sport.

Night baseball is horrendous. And I'm a young guy that has known it my whole life.

Falls City Beer
06-04-2006, 10:32 PM
The Village People post-game concerts.

dougdirt
06-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Night baseball is horrendous. And I'm a young guy that has known it my whole life.

I will disagree completely. I would never be able to go to a game if it werent for night games....much less be able to watch games on tv.

westofyou
06-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Night Ball saved the Reds, otherwise you'd be watching AAA ball and wearing a retro Reds jersey. Night ball probably saved the game in every city that wasn't New York or Chicago too.

redlegs2370
06-04-2006, 11:21 PM
I have been a huge Reds fan since 1975 and one of the major moves, in my time, was Pete Rose coming back as player manager in 1984 so he could break Ty Cobbs record. There were a few lean years after the 81 strike and from the first game Pete played against the Cubs the excitement seemed to be back at Riverfront Stadium. The chase for 4192 helped make the team competitive again and that would lead up to 1990 World Series win.

Cedric
06-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Night Ball saved the Reds, otherwise you'd be watching AAA ball and wearing a retro Reds jersey. Night ball probably saved the game in every city that wasn't New York or Chicago too.

I have problems with seeing the ball at night because of my cornea. It's obvious that baseball couldn't exist without lights.

I just love day baseball myself :)

Cooper
06-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Wow WOY....that's a really good list. Why i like it is because you go to the ground level ....it's clear that there were good trades, but those don't happen unless Howsam was hired.

Ok, here's one ---i almost hate to say it cause i'm not clear if it's real or urban legend, but does Marge buying the team keep it from moving? If so, that would be big...i have a feeling maybe she didnt exactly save the Reds.

westofyou
06-04-2006, 11:44 PM
I have problems with seeing the ball at night because of my cornea. It's obvious that baseball couldn't exist without lights.

Yeah, my sister has a bad right eye and has to sit at events from certain sections or everything chages.

Cedric
06-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah, my sister has a bad right eye and has to sit at events from certain sections or everything chages.

It's odd. I have pretty much perfect vision other than at night when I get huge halos around every light. Luckily I sit low enough in the stadium that it doesn't affect me terribly.

pedro
06-04-2006, 11:48 PM
It's odd. I have pretty much perfect vision other than at night when I get huge halos around every light. Luckily I sit low enough in the stadium that it doesn't affect me terribly.

Have you had that checked out Cedric? From what I heard about degeniterive eye deseases, that's not a good sign.

Cedric
06-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Have you had that checked out Cedric? From what I heard about degeniterive eye deseases, that's not a good sign.

Yeah. It's called Keratoconus. It's a thinning of the cornea. I have to use gas permeable contacts and oddly enough it actually helps reform the cornea around my eye.

Thanks for caring, I appreciate it.

pedro
06-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Yeah. It's called Keratoconus. It's a thinning of the cornea. I have to use gas permeable contacts and oddly enough it actually helps reform the cornea around my eye.

Thanks for caring, I appreciate it.

:)

KronoRed
06-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Same here, baseball has never seemed as fun to watch if it's dark.

redsupport
06-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Alex Johnson for Dick Simpson

cumberlandreds
06-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Since I have been a Reds fan,1971,I would have to go with the deal that brought Joe Morgan,Cesar Geronimo and Jack Billingham to the Reds. Morgan made the BRM go. Geronimo made the defense up the middle the best in the game and Jack Billingham was a very underated pitcher that was very good.

RED59
06-05-2006, 10:33 AM
1961 - Roy McMillan to Braves for Joey Jay and Juan Pizarro (Pizarro to White Sox for Gene Freese). Jay won 21 games and Freese hit 26 homers to help Reds to win first pennant since 1940.

NastyBoy
06-05-2006, 01:19 PM

You would have to bring that up... I guess you would have to gives Bowden credit for that one. :bang:

redsupport
06-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Fred Norman for Gene Locklear

REDREAD
06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
The Banana Man selling the team.

Yes, that's definitely the best one in the last 10 years. That allowed us to remove Allen from COO and give DanO the boot.

In all seriousness, I bet if Carl still owned the team, we'd be suffering through another year of DanO's incompentence. Remember, Allen said that DanO did a good job at the end of last year :laugh:

Roy Tucker
06-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I have been a huge Reds fan since 1975 and one of the major moves, in my time, was Pete Rose coming back as player manager in 1984 so he could break Ty Cobbs record. There were a few lean years after the 81 strike and from the first game Pete played against the Cubs the excitement seemed to be back at Riverfront Stadium. The chase for 4192 helped make the team competitive again and that would lead up to 1990 World Series win.
During hte same era, there were the 2 Dave Parker moves:

1.) Signing Parker as a free agent. The early 80's were a lean time for Reds fans (I know, I was a full season ticket holder then) and Parker had some nice years in the mid-80's to get the team back to respectability.

2.) Traded Parker for Jose Rijo (and Tim Birtsas).

bounty37h
06-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Dateline, Cincy OH, Spring 2007
Reds made an amazing move, one not seen by MLB before, by bringing in completely unknown Bounty as player, manager and GM of the squad. The 32 year old Bounty, in his first season of pro ball at any level, any position, doesn't understand why it took so d@mn long!

Jr's Boy
06-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Firing Vern Rapp. :thumbup:

I hope your not referring to Vern Ruhle,who is having treatment for Cancer for crying out loud.:redbbcap:

westofyou
06-05-2006, 06:30 PM
I hope your not referring to Vern Ruhle,who is having treatment for Cancer for crying out loud.:redbbcap:
No he's refering to a guy that managed the team 20 years ago.

gm
06-05-2006, 07:27 PM
No one could sweat like Swindell. He looked like he just got out of the shower by the 2nd out in the first inning.

Dennys Reyes says:wave: