PDA

View Full Version : Things looking Up ?

redram
06-03-2006, 12:22 PM
I know there has been a lot of talk about the team going down and talk of here we go again, BUT, I feel pretty good about our team, esp from previous years. The hitting will be there, as it was last night, however the diff is in the pitching. We now have 3 maybe 4 legit starters now in Arroya, Harang, Milton ( I think he is lookin good) and Ramierez. Coffey looks GREAT and Weathers is pretty good. Add one or 2 more good BP pitchers and this team can and IMO will compete all year. The biggest diff is that at least it looks like changes are being made to help the team. The signing of Phillips was Huge, he is out leading hitter. I just wanted to post my feelings about the team. I don't post much but read here everyday. Keep our heads up things are looking up. We will no doubt have streaks that go both ways this year, but man this team is much more fun to watch this year as opposed to the past. The key will be staying healthy and getting one or two better BP pitchers. Thx for reading Red's Fans
Go Reds :beerme: :beerme:

Ltlabner
06-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I agree redram. Even if we end up in 3rd/2nd and a few games above .500 at the end of the season, I'd say we are headed in the right direction. Would I like to go all the way? Of course. Is it realistic to think The Kriv has undone all the damage inflicted by the likes of DanO and Jimbo in just 6 months? No.

We've got some good young players that if they continue to develop at the same pace (and I know that is a big IF) will form the core of a great team that should be competitive both very soon and for a long time.

I can't way to see how The Kriv continues to build a piece here, and a piece there.

Falls City Beer
06-03-2006, 12:58 PM
The biggest diff is that at least it looks like changes are being made to help the team.

True.

Phhhl
06-03-2006, 01:02 PM
For the first time in a while, the Reds front office is earning some of my confidence.

Redhook
06-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I agree redram. Even if we end up in 3rd/2nd and a few games above .500 at the end of the season, I'd say we are headed in the right direction. Would I like to go all the way? Of course. Is it realistic to think The Kriv has undone all the damage inflicted by the likes of DanO and Jimbo in just 6 months? No.

We've got some good young players that if they continue to develop at the same pace (and I know that is a big IF) will form the core of a great team that should be competitive both very soon and for a long time.

I can't way to see how The Kriv continues to build a piece here, and a piece there.

I agree, things are looking up. I'm really looking forward to the next few years and beyond.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this year. I think we're really close to be a very good team. I believe we can compete for the rest of the year if a few things happen.

Offensively, we're very good. I don't think we need to add any players. I would like somewhat of a set lineup (discussed in a recent thread) and I think Narron was close last night. I would like Aurilia (Hatteberg if he's playing) in the 2 spot bumping Lopez to 3 and Griffey in the 4 spot. I think this lineup:
Phillips, Aurilia, Lopez, Grif, Dunn, Kearns, Eddy, Catcher would be our most consistent lineup over the course of the year.

Defensively, it has to get better and hopefully it will. I don't think anyone is going to change positions during the year. If position changes are to be made, it will happen in the offseason. We'll have to ride out our shaky defense. Keep your fingers crossed.

Starting pitching. It has been good, but to compete for the rest of the year, we NEED one more bonafide starter for a few reasons. One, what would happen if we have some sort of injury? We're in trouble. I don't think Joe Mays is the answer and anyone else in AAA. Or Paul Wilson (poor Paul, he may be done). Second, Ramirez has been good, but what if he hits a wall in the second half? Could happen, hope it doesn't. Third, Claussen's inconsistency cannot continue if we're to compete all year. Bumps and bruises happen over the course of the year, and unfortunately, this staff along with our AAA staff, is not equipped to handle any adversity.

Bullpen. It's obvious we need atleast one more reliable arm.

I do believe this team can compete this year IF we get atleast 2 more pitchers and Narrons settles in on a consistent lineup.

realreds1
06-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Who knew Esteban Yan was all we needed to get the bats goin' again! :)

KronoRed
06-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Who knew Esteban Yan was all we needed to get the bats goin' again! :)
I can just imagine the talk in the club house

"Hey guy! Wayno went and got a relief pitcher!"
"Oh Yeah? who?"
"Esteban Yan"
"Are you serious?!? Man..we better start hitting again if that's the best we can get!" :devil:

Ltlabner
06-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Yea...but he plays a mean gituar and looks cool in that black hat.

realreds1
06-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Yea...but he plays a mean gituar and looks cool in that black hat.

He can duet with Arroyo and Aurilia's wife.

RedsManRick
06-03-2006, 07:59 PM
I would say we aren't getting much better at the upper end, but the bottom half of the roster his better than it was.

SunDeck
06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Sure, the pitching has been better- Arroyo, Harang, <knocking on wood>Milton</knocking on wood>- but I think the credit has to go right to the man who owns the team. Bob Castellini just seems like he's not interested in excuses about revenue, small market, legacy of Marge, etc.

Bringing in Krivsky may turn out to be the best move of the next fifteen years. From the top down, this organization is learning the value of having a boss who wants a winner on the field.

Ltlabner
06-04-2006, 06:15 PM
As the worn out saying goes, "it starts at the top". From day one BC has been showing that he wants a winning team in Cincinnati (fired DanO on his first full day). The Kriv has been making changes here and there, that while seemingly odd, have paid off for the team. Some of the moves seem to be aimed at the long term (Philips) while others are aimed at shoring up things in the short term (Yan, Ross, etc).

We're 3 games out, including a horrible month of May. We just swept the Astros. We still need some stronger arms in the bullpen and more consistent ones from the starters. If we can get those, and improve the defence we might be heading somewhere sooner rather than later.

The nice thing is that with BC and The Kriv at the helm, you have hope that we are improving as an orginization.

Jr's Boy
06-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Heres hoping we can go into St Louis with both guns blazing and leave in 1st or a game out.Two outa three would be sweet.

Falls City Beer
06-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Looks like the Reds get Ponson and maybe Carpenter Wednesday. Better not get too comfortable.

George Foster
06-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Looks like the Reds get Ponson and maybe Carpenter Wednesday. Better not get too comfortable.

One more win for a winning road trip. 5-4 is all we need.

RAS
06-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I don't want to think about settling for anything less than a playoff position even though I know it may be unrealistic. I agree that Krivsky has done a great job. I still think we'll see lots of changes over the course of this season and before next. I think we'll be a real contender next year if this year is just a pipe dream.