PDA

View Full Version : Pujols left Saturday's game with a back injury

cincinnati chili
06-03-2006, 05:39 PM
per rotowire.

He's carrying my fantasy team, so I'll hold my breath.

Heck, as a straight-up baseball fan, I'll hold my breath.

Matt700wlw
06-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Cardinals seem to have the injury bug this year.

westofyou
06-03-2006, 05:42 PM
per rotowire.

He's carrying my fantasy team, so I'll hold my breath.

Mine too.

But hey, everyone knows that us Baseball Borg Robots (BBR's) all have the same players on their Fantasy teams.

Cedric
06-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Well back aches happen when you get to be 30+

KittyDuran
06-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Well back aches happen when you get to be 30+OUCH! :laugh:

westofyou
06-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Well back aches happen when you get to be 30+
Or if you carry your team for 8 weeks.

Falls City Beer
06-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Cardinals seem to have the injury bug this year.

Hold the tears. They've been about as health-lucky a team as you could ask for for 3+ seasons; life ain't fair.

Speaking of a pitching staff decimated by injury: check out the Brewers's starting staff.

Outshined_One
06-03-2006, 05:59 PM
The Cardinals have committed 3 errors in this inning, one of which committed by David Eckstein shot-putting the ball into the stands after Tim McCarver gushed about how terrific of a shortstop he was because he had to put his full effort into each throw to first.

This has been fun to watch, needless to say.

Falls City Beer
06-03-2006, 06:02 PM
The Cardinals have committed 3 errors in this inning, one of which committed by David Eckstein shot-putting the ball into the stands after Tim McCarver gushed about how terrific of a shortstop he was because he had to put his full effort into each throw to first.

Anything that makes Tim McCarver and the Cardinals look like fools in one fell swoop is okay by me.

Outshined_One
06-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Anything that makes Tim McCarver and the Cardinals look like fools in one fell swoop is okay by me.

You should hear their "Yadier Molina for All Star!" rantings. Holy wow was that awful.

"There are plenty of scouts in major league baseball who think that Molina should be an All Star because of his defensive prowess!"

Which of course was immediately followed by Yadier making a bad block on a slider in the dirt and Pierre stealing second without a throw.

Outshined_One
06-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Official diagnosis for Pujols is a strained right oblique.

Redus
06-03-2006, 06:09 PM
As a Reds fan I'll cross my fingers. Not that I wish any ill will towards Albert but come on losing him for a few weeks would really help the Reds gain some ground!!

Doc. Scott
06-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Scott Rolen made a two-run error last night to let the Cubs tie the score in the ninth (they won in fourteen). He just made another one, one of three by St. Louis in a five-run Chicago third inning. Aramis Ramirez hit a grand slam off Mark Mulder. And now Glendon Rusch, he of the 7 ERA, is pitching pretty well against the Cards.

Seriously, it's like Bizarro World.

Matt700wlw
06-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Hold the tears. They've been about as health-lucky a team as you could ask for for 3+ seasons; life ain't fair.

There's no tears, trust me.

guttle11
06-03-2006, 06:15 PM
As a Reds fan I'll cross my fingers. Not that I wish any ill will towards Albert but come on losing him for a few weeks would really help the Reds gain some ground!!

It would help, but if the Reds can't beat the Cardinals with Albert, then how good can they be? As a Bengals fan, I don't want Albert to be hurt. I know that feeling all too well.

Also, with all the Barry Bonds drama leveling off for a while, baseball needs Albert.

NastyBoy
06-03-2006, 06:16 PM

Two straight games Rolen has had an error. An error by Rolen cost them the game last night (or least tie in it in 9th)... that and David Ecstein coming to the plate twice with with the bases loaded and not being able to get the run in from third.

Perhaps this a chance for the Redlegs to put together a few wins on this roadtrip and make a move in the standings.

Outshined_One
06-03-2006, 06:23 PM
To make matters even more entertaining, Mark Mulder is being hung out to dry because the Cardinals' bullpen is shot from last night.

Also, Glendon Rusch hasn't sucked yet. :eek:

saboforthird
06-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Or if you carry your team for 8 weeks.

Pujols is the Zorro of baseball.

saboforthird
06-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Narron, here's your chance. Couldn't possibly be easier for you.

Doc. Scott
06-03-2006, 06:27 PM
And now Phil Nevin's first Cubs homer makes it 7-1. This is great.

Falls City Beer
06-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Glendon Rusch still gobbles goat droppings as he surrenders a run-scoring double to Molina :confused: . Is that even possible? He's like the worst hitter on earth.

fielder's choice
06-03-2006, 06:41 PM
He did give up 2 jacks to Bronson (who is hitting about .030 now).

Outshined_One
06-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Mark Mulder nearly gave up a home run to a bullpen pitcher.

Wow.

Edskin
06-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I never ROOT for injuries, but I do perk up when key players for rival teams go down. Just being honest.

I'm DEFINITELY rooting for him to miss our series though. Teams like the Reds need to catch those kind of breaks over a 162 game season if they are going to stay in it.

Outshined_One
06-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Apparently Scott Williamson's elbow went *pop* on the last pitch of the 9th inning. He's being placed on the 15 Day DL and replaced by fireball throwing RHP Carlos Marmol, who the Cubs see as a future closer if his changeup doesn't come around.

Bob Borkowski
06-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Over on the Cards board (Birds on the Bat) they are saying Pujols will be out a MINIMUM of two weeks, most likely longer...per a quote from manager Tony.

JimEdmonds15
06-03-2006, 10:57 PM
06/03/2006 9:12 PM ET
Pujols out with strained right oblique
Cardinals slugger likely heading to disabled list
By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/images/2006/06/03/7kg2TT3k.jpg

ST. LOUIS -- They've weathered one injury after another the past season and a half, but the Cardinals have never had to do without Albert Pujols for more than a few days. That's almost certainly about to change.

Pujols was removed from the Cardinals' game on Saturday against the Cubs due to a strained right oblique muscle, and it's unclear when he will be able to return. He will almost certainly be placed on the disabled list for the first time in his career, if not Sunday, then no later than Tuesday.

"There is serious concern," said Dr. George Paletta, "and it is the type of injury that we need to evaluate initially and again 18-24 hours later to get a better handle on it."

"He's going to miss a significant period of time," said manager Tony La Russa. "Anywhere from little significant to real significant. We can't tell for another 18-24 [hours]. But it's something we've got to deal with."

[More in URL] (http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060603&content_id=1485940&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

edabbs44
06-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Albert Pujols will likely be forced to go on the disabled list after leaving Saturday's game with a strained oblique. "If you told me right now that he'd be out two weeks, I would buy you dinner the rest of the year," manager Tony La Russa said.
Pujols was hurt chasing after a foul ball against the Cubs. "He's going to miss a significant period of time, anywhere from a little significant to real significant," La Russa said. "You can't tell for another 18-24 (hours), but it's something you have to deal with." The Cardinals will have to keep piecing things together while Pujols is out. Calling up Brian Daubach to act as a first baseman against right-handers might work. Scott Spiezio is likely to see a lot of time at the position

redsfan4445
06-03-2006, 11:06 PM
yahoo sports saying Puhols could be out 6 weeks!!!!

redsfan30
06-03-2006, 11:11 PM
I never ROOT for injuries, but I do perk up when key players for rival teams go down. Just being honest.

I'm DEFINITELY rooting for him to miss our series though. Teams like the Reds need to catch those kind of breaks over a 162 game season if they are going to stay in it.
Couldn't been said any better, Ed. Nobody should ever root for a player to be injured (As was mentioned earlier, us Bengals fans know all about how it feels to have your star hurt). But it's only natural to at least take notice when the team you're trying to overcome's superstar goes down.

Gizmo
06-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Couldn't been said any better, Ed. Nobody should ever root for a player to be injured (As was mentioned earlier, us Bengals fans know all about how it feels to have your star hurt). But it's only natural to at least take notice when the team you're trying to overcome's superstar goes down.

I agree, when I first saw the line about him leaving early, I thought, "hopefully it's enough to make him miss at least the first two against us." Don't want to see a player of his caliber and importance to the game out too long, though.

paintmered
06-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Apparently Scott Williamson's elbow went *pop* on the last pitch of the 9th inning. He's being placed on the 15 Day DL and replaced by fireball throwing RHP Carlos Marmol, who the Cubs see as a future closer if his changeup doesn't come around.

That was just a matter of time really.

harangatang
06-04-2006, 12:21 AM
It's time for the Reds to take advantage of the Cards at their weakest point and take control of the division again. Weren't Pujols' numbers abnormally ridiculous this year compared to his numbers in years past against the Reds?

paintmered
06-04-2006, 12:42 AM
It's time for the Reds to take advantage of the Cards at their weakest point and take control of the division again. Weren't Pujols' numbers abnormally ridiculous this year compared to his numbers in years past against the Reds?

His numbers have always been very good against the Reds. But they are downright distubing this year. See for yourself:

2006 - Albert Pujols
By Opponent AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
vs. CIN 15 6 6 1 0 4 7 3 0 1 0 0 .400 .500 1.267 1.767

2003-2005 - Albert Pujols
By Opponent AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
vs. CIN 213 52 79 19 0 17 48 23 2 10 3 0 .371 .433 .700 1.133

EKURed
06-04-2006, 12:56 AM
This may sound a little harsh, but I don't feel the least bit sorry for teams losing their best player due to injury. We all know the Reds have had their fair share of losses with Griffey's injuries. It's no fun, but the Reds have had to deal with it, so I'm not sad about Pujols or for Derrick Lee with the Cubs on bit.

MattyHo4Life
06-04-2006, 08:40 AM
This may sound a little harsh, but I don't feel the least bit sorry for teams losing their best player due to injury. We all know the Reds have had their fair share of losses with Griffey's injuries. It's no fun, but the Reds have had to deal with it, so I'm not sad about Pujols or for Derrick Lee with the Cubs on bit.

It looks like Chris Duncan will be called up to fill in for Pujols. Losing Pujols will hurt a lot... no doubt. I'm curious to see how the Cardinals do without him. Will they fall apart like the Cubs did without Derek Lee, or will they stay in contention until he returns? How do you guys think the Cardinals will do while Pujols is out?

MaineRed
06-04-2006, 10:11 AM
It would help, but if the Reds can't beat the Cardinals with Albert, then how good can they be? As a Bengals fan, I don't want Albert to be hurt. I know that feeling all too well.

Please. The Cardinals have twice the payroll the Reds do. Lets not pretend we are on level footing to start the year and the only way the Reds can win a pennant and feel good about it is if Pujols and the rest of the Cards go injury free all season. That is outrageous.

I don't cheer for injuries but it should be clear to everyone that the Reds chances of hanging around go up a great deal if Pujols is out. As a Reds fan, I hope he is out because we need that kind of equalizer. The Cardinals have way more resources at this point than do the Reds. We can all sit around and hope to beat a fully loaded Cards team but when was the last time it happened? I want to see the Reds win again before I die. If it takes a Pujols injury to help that cause, so be it. I ain't going to deny that fact just because it doesn't sound right. The Reds have no shot at winning the division with the Cards pitching staff and Pujols hitting 78 HR with 200 RBI. With Pujols out, they are nothing more than a team with a good starting staff and a so so line-up.

And lets not forget, even if the teams were on equal footing, the Reds lost Griffey for a month. Don't we need the Cards to have an injury to their best player to even things out?

I know how it feels to lose to the Cards every year with Griffey rehabbing an injury. Maybe it is time Card fans learned what that felt like? As a Reds fan, I do wish that upon them. They haven't been beating a healthy Reds team the last few years. Do you think they lost any sleep over it? So why should we?

GridironGrace
06-04-2006, 11:14 AM
While it's good for the reds that Puljos aint gonna be around for awhile......The Cards will lose a few more games now :)

However, now what would have been a very exciting season for BASEBALL come August when Puljos started to get close to the RBI and HR records, wont happen now :(

Krusty
06-04-2006, 11:18 AM
The sharks smell blood and now is the time to make the move.

If the Reds don't seize on the Cards misfortune, they have no one to blame but themselves.

membengal
06-04-2006, 11:21 AM
All I know is St. Louis and others didn't have to apologize for playing the Reds earlier this year when Jr. was on his month-long DL stay, and the Reds don't need to apologize or feel sorry for catching the Cards without Pujols. And if St. Louis struggles without him, well, that's the way it goes sometimes. While I don't root for it, I am not sad either.

MattyHo4Life
06-04-2006, 11:36 AM
And if St. Louis struggles without him.

What if the Cards don't struggle without him?

membengal
06-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Then they will win the division by 25 games.

MaineRed
06-04-2006, 12:41 PM

Life will go on as usual and the Yankees of the NL will easily make the play-offs.

Got any other mind teasers?

Mario-Rijo
06-04-2006, 04:24 PM
I certainly don't feel bad for the Cardinals however I do feel bad for Pujols he is a classy guy and exceptional talent. That said, the guy has had some injury problems throughout his career most notably his back. I gotta figure we have a great oppurtunity to win 2 out of 3 at least. It depends on how well our offense plays, as it's not gonna come easy as I am sure LaRussa will really stress pitching & defense big time with us coming in!

KronoRed
06-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Then they should trade him :evil:

edabbs44
06-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Cardinals trainer Barry Weinberg classified Albert Pujols' strained right oblique as "moderate to severe" on Sunday.
He added that the injury was closer to severe than moderate and that Pujols was experiencing pain and limited mobility. "Now, we just go through the steps of getting him better," Weinberg said. "The first thing he has to do is normal things: coughing, sneezing and opening the door. Then we can get more aggressive with the rehab and we can get more aggressive with some baseball activity." All of this doesn't sound too encouraging, and our guess is that Pujols will miss closer to six weeks than two. He's scheduled for an MRI tomorrow.

Jr's Boy
06-05-2006, 12:00 AM
How long is he under contract with the Cards?I could see Pujols getting an Arod type deal in the future,and possibly pinstripes.

MattyHo4Life
06-05-2006, 12:14 AM
How long is he under contract with the Cards?

Until 2011