PDA

View Full Version : College baseball tourney update

Pages : 1 [2]

SandyD
06-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Still 2-0 OSU after six. I believe Nickerson is still on the mound. bot-6th was an 8-pitch inning for him.

Gallen5862
06-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Rice the number 2 seed is losing 2-0 to OSU with one out in the top of the 7th.

SandyD
06-22-2006, 11:13 PM
only 5 hits in this game ... 3 by OSU and 2 by Rice. Thru 7, still 2-0 OSU.

Looks like Nickerson has a blister.

SandyD
06-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Nickerson got the first two Owls out in the Bot 8th with a bleeding thumb on his pitching hand. Gunderson now coming in to close.

College sport: OSU bullpen makes a statement: Gunderson to the mound ... the rest of the bullpen heads to the dugout.

Gallen5862
06-22-2006, 11:30 PM
OSU still leading 2-0 with two outs in the top of the 9th.

SandyD
06-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Rice has Hitters#2, 3, 4 coming up.

#2 flys out to center.
#3 flys out to center.

Rice down to their last out.

SandyD
06-22-2006, 11:39 PM
#4 flies out to left in foul territory.

Rice did not score in their last 23 straight innings.

Wow.

CWS finals: Best of 3 between UNC and Oregon State

Gallen5862
06-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Thats amazing that the number 2 seed Rice lost 2 straight games and did not score in 23 innings. OSU lost their very first game and had to fight through the losers bracket. The finals should be a great matchup.

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2006, 07:35 AM
I picked OSU to win it all...stay tuned!

Gallen5862
06-24-2006, 11:08 PM
OSU is beating UNC 3-2 in bottom of 6 after a big rain delay. Buck is still pitching for OSU.

Gallen5862
06-24-2006, 11:08 PM
UNC has runners on First and second with no outs.

Gallen5862
06-24-2006, 11:15 PM
UNC ties it up 3-3 on a single after a double play advanced the runner to third.

Gallen5862
06-24-2006, 11:57 PM
UNC takes a 4-3 lead in bottom of the 8th on a tripple and a wildpitch. There is now 1 out.

Gallen5862
06-25-2006, 12:50 AM
UNC wins game one 4-3. UNC is in the drivers seat. OSU needs to win next two in order to win the series.

Gallen5862
06-25-2006, 08:45 PM
UNC is beating OSU 1-0 going to the top of the third in game 2. OSU must win if they want to force a game Three.

Gallen5862
06-25-2006, 09:00 PM
UNC is now winning 4-0 going to the bottom of the third.

Gallen5862
06-25-2006, 09:54 PM
OSU is winning 7-5 with two outs and runners on first and second in the top of the 5th.

dougdirt
06-25-2006, 09:59 PM
wow...thats one heck of a turnaround... 6-1 run there.

Gallen5862
06-25-2006, 10:49 PM
OSU is winning 11-7 in the bottom of the 7th.

Gallen5862
06-25-2006, 11:19 PM
OSU wins 11-7 to force the deciding game for the NCAA Baseball Championship.

SandyD
06-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Hooray! another game. :D

Nice to see it go three, no matter who wins.

Gallen5862
06-25-2006, 11:31 PM
I agree with you Sandy. It's nice that it comes down to the final game.

Cedric
06-25-2006, 11:47 PM
I love the game of baseball more than about anything in the world. But please tell me how that one "ping" noise can turn me off to the game.

I guess with the $$ involved it's never going to change.

KronoRed
06-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Yeah that ping drives me batty as well, I'd love to see what someone else suggested and MLB start paying for wood bats for college

SandyD
06-26-2006, 12:02 AM
The "ping" sound doesn't really bother me much, but I'd like to see D-1 colleges, at least, switch to wood.

dabvu2498
06-26-2006, 09:52 AM
The "ping" sound doesn't really bother me much, but I'd like to see D-1 colleges, at least, switch to wood.
Odd that you say that as one of the major D2 college conferences in the Midwest plays with wood. www.glvc.org

Also, Sandy, who is going to be the next coach at LSU???

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Speaking of wood bats vs aluminum...

Called Safe at the Plate
The perception that aluminum bats are more dangerous than wood ones is taking some hits
By Ben Bolch, Times Staff Writer
June 25, 2006

OMAHA Squeamish observers might have thought Ryan Paul had gone batty in April when the Cal State Fullerton reliever stayed in a game against UC Riverside, as if nothing had happened, after a searing line drive grazed his head.

Looking back, Paul recalled being dazed but not confused. He said he immediately realized he "had to get over it right away. Otherwise it would be something that would just stick there."

Not every pitcher has been as fortunate. A high school pitcher in Illinois recently was left in a coma for two weeks after a batted ball slammed into his head, and a college pitcher in the same state suffered a fractured skull last year.

Such injuries often trigger debate over whether a switch from aluminum to wood bats would make the game safer at the amateur level.

While several studies have shown that injuries attributed to aluminum bats are flat or even on the decline, there is a perception that aluminum bats pose a greater safety risk than their wood counterparts, prompting a handful of athletic sanctioning bodies to mandate change.

The Nassau Suffolk Catholic High School Athletic Assn., a seven-team league on New York's Long Island, switched last season to wood bats, and every high school team in North Dakota will use wood next year after an incident three years ago in which an American Legion pitcher in Montana died after a line drive off an aluminum bat struck his head.

Though a handful of small college conferences have made similar substitutions in recent years, there was not an overwhelming show of support for wood bats among at least one major conference team.

In a survey of Fullerton players who competed in the College World Series, 13 preferred wood bats, nine preferred aluminum and three said they didn't have a preference. There was a much stronger consensus among pitchers: six preferred wood, one preferred aluminum and one didn't have a preference.

But even the pitchers who preferred wood acknowledged that aluminum gave the college game its own distinct flavor.

"I still like hearing the ping of an aluminum bat," Titans ace Wes Roemer said. "It's a little more dangerous than a wooden bat and you might get a few more cheap hits, but there's nothing like hearing the sound of an aluminum bat in the College World Series."

Several hitters said they liked the feel of an aluminum bat, with a sweet spot larger than its wood counterpart, making it easier to generate power.

"I'd swing aluminum as long as I could," Fullerton left fielder Danny Dorn said. "It goes farther and it's a little more forgiving than wood."

Said first baseman Brett Pill: "If you get jammed with aluminum, you can still get a base hit."

Yet, second baseman Justin Turner, who has used wood bats in the Cape Cod League, a summer league that attracts the nation's top college players, said there was also an upside to using wood.

"It actually makes you a little bit better hitter," Turner said. "It keeps your swing on the short side; you can't muscle up or anything. I enjoyed swinging the wood last summer."

Bat manufacturers such as Louisville Slugger, which supplies about 50 college teams, including Fullerton, with bats and other athletic gear, say they are in favor of allowing players to decide which type of bats they would like to use.

"Whatever the players and the governing bodies decide they want to use, we'll be there to provide that equipment," said Rick Redman, vice president of corporate communications for Louisville Slugger, which produces roughly an equal number of wood and aluminum bats each year.

Redman stressed that bat manufacturers have always made their bats to comply with safety standards set by various athletic governing bodies. The NCAA changed its standards in 1998 after USC defeated Louisiana State in a 35-run slugfest to win the College World Series, mandating that a ball couldn't travel faster off an aluminum bat than it did off the finest wood bat.

The changes have resulted in a dramatic decrease in offense during the Division I college season from 1.06 home runs per team per game in 1998 to 0.70 per game in 2005. Batting averages are down too, from .306 in 1998 to .290 in 2005, according to the NCAA.

Injuries may also be on the decline. The NCAA commissioned a study of injuries in Division I baseball for four years beginning in 1998, specifically looking at pitchers, the most vulnerable to batted-ball injuries because of their proximity to home plate. The number of injuries declined from 214 in 1998 to 110 in 2001, with only 4.5% of those injured in 2001 missing their next start or game because of their injury.

The studies showed that the vast majority of injuries were to lower extremities in terms of being hit by a batted ball," said Ty Halpin, associate director of playing rules administration for the NCAA. "We haven't seen anything in our data to suggest that there's a safety issue" with aluminum bats.

Injury data from Little League Baseball and Softball showed a 76% decrease in reported injuries to pitchers from batted balls over an eight-year period beginning in 1992.

"I do think there's accurate records of injury data, and the data will tell you it's a safe sport," said Jim Darby, vice president of promotions for Easton Sports, which manufactures aluminum and wood bats.

Darby blamed sensationalist media coverage for what he considered an unjust bias against aluminum bats, noting that earlier this week a Stanford pitcher had been struck in the face by a line drive off a wood bat while playing in the Cape Cod League. The pitcher will require surgery to repair fractures in his cheek and orbital bones.

Nonetheless, there remains a perception that aluminum bats are simply too dangerous. Earlier this month, the Miles City Mavericks, an American Legion team in Montana, forfeited two games because their opponent would not play with wood bats. The Mavericks have refused to play with aluminum bats since pitcher Brandon Patch died three years ago when a line drive off an aluminum bat struck his head.

For college coaches such as Fullerton's George Horton, the issue may come down to economics. Louisville Slugger outfits the Titans with everything from top-of-the-line aluminum bats to equipment bags and provides Horton with a financial stipend.

"I think that we're probably entrenched with aluminum bats," Horton said. "Financially, for us, it would be a real blow to us to have to purchase wood bats with the amount of bats that you go through."

Horton suggested that the only entity capable of enacting change at the college level would be Major League Baseball, whose scouts say it's easier to assess players using wood bats.

"In their perfect world, everybody would be using wood and you'd be able to make more of an apples-to-apples comparison," said Joe Garagiola Jr., senior vice president of baseball operations for Major League Baseball.

But major league officials are not pushing for change, Garagiola said, meaning that for the foreseeable future most college players will be able to swing wood bats only in summer leagues.

That's OK with players such as Pill, the Fullerton first baseman who prefers aluminum and said the safety debate might amount to little more than a matter of common sense.

"If someone's going to hit that hard of a line drive at a pitcher," he said, "it's going to hurt them anyway."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/la-sp-bats25jun25,1,5686912.story?page=1&coll=la-headlines-sports-majorbaseb

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 08:41 PM
UNC and OSU are tied 0-0 with 2 outs in the bottom of the second. OSU has a runner at first.

SandyD
06-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Odd that you say that as one of the major D2 college conferences in the Midwest plays with wood. www.glvc.org

Also, Sandy, who is going to be the next coach at LSU???

Funny you should mention that, since I just saw an unconfirmed report that Mainieri from Notre Dame will be named the next baseball coach at Notre Dame.

Confirmed that he interviewed for the position today, and he and Bertman go WAY back ... both grew up in Miami ... Mainieri's father coached at Miami Dade CC while Bertman coached at a HS in Miami and at Miami-Dade downtown, and later under Fraser at Miami. (FL).

Also, Mainieri played under Ron Maestri at UNO in the late 70s, so he has some ties to the area. Kind of makes sense. But we'll see.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 08:50 PM
There is still no score going to the bottom of the Third.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Still no score going to the top of the 4th.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 09:30 PM
OSU is winning 2-0 over UNC. In the top of the 5th UNC has a runner on first no outs.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 09:36 PM
UNC scores a run and have runners on the corners with just 1 out in top of the 5th. OSU now winning 2-1.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 09:40 PM
The score is now tied in the top of the 5th at 2-2. Runners are at first and second with 2 outs.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 09:41 PM
The game is tied at 2-2 going to the bottom of the 5th.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 09:56 PM
UNC has runners at the corners with 1 out in the top of the 6th. The score is still tied 2-2. The pitcher has thrown over 300 pitches so far in the tournament for OSU.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 10:01 PM
UNC runs them selves out of the inning runner thrown out at home and then the runner on second is tagged out on a double play trying to go to third.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
The score is still tied at 2-2 going to the bottom of the 6th.

dabvu2498
06-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Funny you should mention that, since I just saw an unconfirmed report that Mainieri from Notre Dame will be named the next baseball coach at Notre Dame.

Confirmed that he interviewed for the position today, and he and Bertman go WAY back ... both grew up in Miami ... Mainieri's father coached at Miami Dade CC while Bertman coached at a HS in Miami and at Miami-Dade downtown, and later under Fraser at Miami. (FL).

Also, Mainieri played under Ron Maestri at UNO in the late 70s, so he has some ties to the area. Kind of makes sense. But we'll see.
That does seem to fit well. I saw recently that my alma mater's coach pulled his name from consideration.

I also figured Cohen from Kentucky might be a candidate.

Manieri would be solid though.

I always liked the LSU coaching staff of Skip, Smoke and Beetle (RIP).

SandyD
06-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Don't forget "Turtle."

I've seen more official reports now that Mainieri will be meeting with the LSU Board of Supervisors, and that it should become official Wed or Thurs IF he wants it. ND can match an offer, and he could still turn it down.

Personally, I think Bertman had to talk to Wells and Bianco in particular, to appease the fan base who wanted them interviewed last time (when Bertman retired).

Why not start kids with wood at the HS level? In fact, that might be the place to start, unless there are developmental reasons not to.

This is a good game so far.

dabvu2498
06-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Why not start kids with wood at the HS level? In fact, that might be the place to start, unless there are developmental reasons not to.

This is a good game so far.
I don't buy the cost argument either. Not that many HS pitchers (hitters) that throw (swing) hard enough to break a bat. Plus, anyone priced aluminum bats lately??? :eek:

At the college level the average every day player goes through 2-3 aluminum bats per year.

One thing's for sure, if OSU wins, they will have earned it.

One more thing: I saw Beetle and Turtle speak at a camp/clinic once. Best I've ever seen.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 10:47 PM
The score is still tied going to the bottom of the 8th.

SandyD
06-26-2006, 11:13 PM
OSU up 3-2 with UNC batting in the top of the ninth. Lead run (I missed it) scored on an error?

But UNC isn't going down without a fight. One on and One out.

See, I love seeing these low scoring games in college.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 11:14 PM
UNC now has runners at first and second with just 1 out.

SandyD
06-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Walked him. Two on now. Tying run on second.

Gunderson is coming on now. Wonder why they didn't start the ninth with him?

SandyD
06-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Ground out to second ... close to a DP ... tying run is at 3rd with two out.

SandyD
06-26-2006, 11:19 PM
F8 shallow center ... OSU Beavers are the 2006 national champions. Great game.

Gallen5862
06-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Congratulations to OSU the 2006 national champions. It was a great game and also congratulations to UNC for a second place finish.

SandyD
06-26-2006, 11:25 PM
I lived in Arizona during the mid to late 80s, when Jerry Kindall was coaching UA. At that time, the PAC 10 was the 6-PAC for baseball. Glad to see the NW schools making a show.

Jerry Kindall, BTW, pushed for "safer" bats, and think he'd push for wood, too.

VR
06-27-2006, 01:33 PM
They are celebrating twice today, in both Portland and Corvallis. I think I'm going to check out the one here in Portland, should be a fun event.