PDA

View Full Version : NY Newsday article: Griffey to Yanks? (June 5)

max venable
06-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Gary Sheffield's potentially season-ending wrist injury sent general manager Brian Cashman to the phones looking for a corner outfielder late this past week. Big names will be tossed around, but with the Yankees' prospect stash limited, the best option could actually become Griffey.

Griffey's whopping salary ($37 million through 2009) means the Yankees wouldn't have to give up anything of note to get him. The Reds' previous ownership rejected the Yankees' bid for Griffey last year, but the Reds have a new owner, Bob Castellini, and a new GM, Wayne Krivsky, who isn't afraid to deal if they fall out of the race.

LINK (http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spheyman0604,0,223981.column?coll=ny-sports-headlines)

cumberlandreds
06-05-2006, 08:11 AM
This guy seems to think the Reds will give him away for nothing. I think I would want the Yankees best prospect plus the Yanks taking on 90% of the remaining salary. I also wonder if Griffey would want the pressure of playing for King George?

max venable
06-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Classic case of the Reds (and small market teams) getting no respect from NYers. Goes to show that they just think we're feeder teams for the "big clubs" like the Yank-Me's.

"Yeah, just offer the Reds any old thing...they'll take it...cuz they're from po-dunk Cincinnati."

zombie-a-go-go
06-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Griffey's got his 10-5 rights and he wanted to come to Cinci. With the Reds looking like they might be contenders all of a sudden, I have my doubts that he'd want to go to NYY right now... 'specially to play a corner.

Strikes Out Looking
06-05-2006, 08:24 AM
I know it may annoy the NY Yankees, but I believe the Reds are more contenders than they are at this point (despite the Yanks recent success). So the question should be what do the Reds want from the Yankees for Griffey (or anyone else).

redsmetz
06-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I have to agree that I don't think Wayne K. does salary dumps ala Griffey. When he's healthy, he's still among the best. If they don't have players of consequence to go with taking that salary, I don't think Krivskey does a deal such as they suggest.

WebScorpion
06-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't think Kriv would do it for starters, but I'm almost certain Griff won't play for Steinbrenner. Didn't this come up when he wanted out of Seattle? I think he said he'd never play for Steinbrenner because the Boss had him kicked out of the clubhouse when he was a kid there with the his Dad.

M2
06-05-2006, 09:23 AM
There is a trade of Jr. to the Yankees that might make sense to the Reds even if they're in contention.

There was a rumor that the Yankees, Phillies and Marlins were talking a three-way deal with Bob Abreu going to the Bronx, prospects going to the Fish and Dontrelle Willis heading to Philly.

Why not try that deal with Jr. instead? The Reds trade Jr. to New York, get back something like OFs Jose Tabata and Austin Jackson, plus something else the Fish might want and then send a package to the Marlins for Willis.

I'd do it. IMO it's the type of move the Reds need to make if they want to remain serious contenders. Another OF has to be turned into a starting pitcher.

There's probably no linear, one-for-one trade the Reds could make this summer that would achieve the kind of starting pitcher who can help today. Any club that needs an OF to contend probably doesn't have a frontline pitcher to spare.

LincolnparkRed
06-05-2006, 09:47 AM
I wonder if Detroit has any pressing need for another outfielder? They seem to be fairly well stocked in the pitching department and since we wouldn't see them again unless both teams make the world series maybe they would be a good trading partner. Also Wayne K would know a little about them since they were in the Twins division.

OldXOhio
06-05-2006, 09:55 AM
The Yankees "have an interest" in Dunn huh? Rumor has it the Reds have "an interest" in a number of solid, young lefthanded starters as well. Not that there's anything to it or any discussions have been had, but why didn't that make the papers as well? It is rather humorous to see how the NY papers take a perceived interest from the Yanks and turn it into a full fledged trade rumor.

GoReds
06-05-2006, 10:33 AM
There is a trade of Jr. to the Yankees that might make sense to the Reds even if they're in contention.

There was a rumor that the Yankees, Phillies and Marlins were talking a three-way deal with Bob Abreu going to the Bronx, prospects going to the Fish and Dontrelle Willis heading to Philly.

Why not try that deal with Jr. instead? The Reds trade Jr. to New York, get back something like OFs Jose Tabata and Austin Jackson, plus something else the Fish might want and then send a package to the Marlins for Willis.

I'd do it. IMO it's the type of move the Reds need to make if they want to remain serious contenders. Another OF has to be turned into a starting pitcher.

There's probably no linear, one-for-one trade the Reds could make this summer that would achieve the kind of starting pitcher who can help today. Any club that needs an OF to contend probably doesn't have a frontline pitcher to spare.

As a Griffey fan who waited 10 years for Junior's arrival, I hate this trade.

As a Reds fan for nearly 40 years, this is the route to take to get the Reds into perennial contention.

I'm a bigger Reds fan than Griffey fan. Let's hope this trade is the standard by which WK is proceeding.

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Kyle Farnsworth, Eric Duncan and Phillip Hughes for Jr. & Claussen. Turn around Hughes along w/ Miguel Perez, Javon Moran & Duncan for Willis. What do ya think?

RFS62
06-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Kyle Farnsworth, Eric Duncan and Phillip Hughes for Jr. & Claussen. Turn around Hughes along w/ Miguel Perez, Javon Moran & Duncan for Willis. What do ya think?

Yeah, Farnsworth can locker next to Paul Wilson when he gets back.

KronoRed
06-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Wilson will never be back.

I like that trade idea M2, I think most fans would be OK with getting a pitcher back.

M2
06-05-2006, 02:20 PM

I'd think the Marlins would want Jose Tabata or Austin Jackson. Supposedly they've got OFs on their mind.

Falls City Beer
06-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Supposedly they've got OFs on their mind.

Marlins are a pretty sharp organization; I'd say they'll take talent where they can find it (be it OF, IF, P). The OFer talk strikes me as sportswriter deduction. In other words, unreliable.

max venable
06-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Today's Daily Herald (Chicago):

The Griffey files

When the White Sox’ rotation gets back to form and starts getting the team deeper into games, you won’t hear nearly as much about the bullpen woes, or about the lack of offense at shortstop and in center field.

The fact is the White Sox need defense at those positions and if there weren’t problems elsewhere, you could live with the offense.

However, the Sox will make a move both to shore up the bullpen and the offense if things don’t change.

Last year, the Sox came very close to acquiring Ken Griffey, and will almost certainly call Cincinnati again, if they haven’t already.

Griffey is a huge risk from an injury standpoint and a clubhouse presence, and he is owed somewhere in the neighborhood of $33 million between now and the end of the 2008 season, at which point he’ll also get a $4 million buyout for 2009.

The Reds won’t deal Griffey until they’re out of it, and even then, the Yanks might be the only other team willing to pay a significant portion of the $37 million. LINK (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=196487)

Everybody just seems to think the Reds are just there in case the "contenders" need players for the stretch run. I'd like to think we'll be buying rather than selling come July.

max venable
06-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Today's NY Newsday:

According to a person with knowledge of the Reds' thinking, they aren't ready to deal Ken Griffey Jr. or Adam Dunn. A weekend report had the Yankees inquiring about the outfielders.

"They are three games behind the Cardinals, who are banged up," the source said. "It would be difficult to trade them for young talent while they are still in it." LINK (http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/64796.htm)
So, apparently, the Yanks think (or thought) we might be interested in dealing Dunn to them? For whom? Whatever!:rolleyes:

vaticanplum
06-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Today's NY Newsday:
LINK (http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/64796.htm)
So, apparently, the Yanks think (or thought) we might be interested in dealing Dunn to them? For whom? Whatever!:rolleyes:

Rumors fly constantly in baseball. I would guess that about 98% of them prove unfounded or at least never pan out. When any of 29 teams are mentioned in unsubstantiated rumors, people roll their eyes about how idiotic the sportswriters are. When the Yankees are mentioned, it's all their fault and they're the arrogant representatives of an Empire of Evil, and the sportswriters' failings are ignored. I pay very close attention to the Yankees' press. There has been zero legitimate indication of them having an interest in acquiring any big name players anytime soon. And, if you'd noticed, it doesn't really appear that they need to at the moment. They've had ten hits in the last 12 straight games, which is a record for them.

Seriously people, I know it's kind of a futile effort for me to be the Yankees cheerleader all the time, but it's not even only to do with the team. The quality of this board is very high and I find it way below you all to jump on the easy hate bandwagon when there are no facts to back up the rumors.

RedFanAlways1966
06-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Seriously people, I know it's kind of a futile effort for me to be the Yankees cheerleader all the time, but it's not even only to do with the team. The quality of this board is very high and I find it way below you all to jump on the easy hate bandwagon when there are no facts to back up the rumors.

Yes, rumors fly around a lot in MLB. No doubt about it. However, the Yanks have "bought" a lot in this game in the last decade. They deserve whatever hatred they get from small market fans. They spend over $200 mill per year... they buy other players.

The Yanks have caused a major skew in MLB salaries. They have done what early skewers like Kroc and Turner did years ago (when Free Agency first came to life).

Whether hatred is justified or not from other fans on individual rumors... they bring it on to themselves. No pity from me. ZERO!

NJReds
06-06-2006, 10:41 AM

I've heard Cashman say over and over that the Yanks are not interested in trading their top minor leaguers for an OF. But the Post and the Daily News do what they do best -- drive the rumor mill. Makes for good reading, even if it isn't factual.

I've been watching the Yanks lately. It's interesting that a team with a so-called "black hole" for a farm system, has produced Cano, Cabrera, Phillips and Wang in the last two years. Guys who have all produced in their initial call-ups.

vaticanplum
06-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Whether hatred is justified or not from other fans on individual rumors... they bring it on to themselves. No pity from me. ZERO!

I'm not asking for pity, just for informed, intelligent discussion.

westofyou
06-06-2006, 10:53 AM
To the NY Press (save the Times) the whole league is the Kansas City A's to the Yankees vintage 1958.

People need something to read when they ride the subway.

lollipopcurve
06-06-2006, 10:57 AM
To the NY Press (save the Times) the whole league is the Kansas City A's to the Yankees vintage 1958.

And that has infected some of the national media, too, though there the divide is more big-market vs the rest.

RedFanAlways1966
06-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm not asking for pity, just for informed, intelligent discussion.

I understand! But they definitely make anyone who is not a fan of theirs boil... esp. when these fans hear talk of them "stealing" one of their own.

I think the hatred is misguided. If the powers of MLB allow it, then the Yanks are not breaking any rules (like steroids... but another bowl of crap that the powers allowed!).

:)

NJReds
06-06-2006, 11:03 AM

It's the same with others sports too, particularly the Knicks and Rangers.

Roy Tucker
06-06-2006, 11:07 AM
I understand! But they definitely make anyone who is not a fan of theirs boil... esp. when these fans hear talk of them "stealing" one of their own.

I think the hatred is misguided. If the powers of MLB allow it, then the Yanks are not breaking any rules (like steroids... but another bowl of crap that the powers allowed!).

:)
I admire the Yankees from an organizational standpoint. They cannily generate a lot of money, use it well, have a sharp eye for talent, have a great front office, scout well, "play the game the way it's supposed to be played", and have a win-at-all-costs kind of attitude. And yes, they operate withon the by-laws of MLB and are perennially a powerhouse of a team.

But, no matter what is said and done, at the end of the day, I ... still ... hate ... the ... Yankees. I think this is one battle you just can't win vaticanplum.

vaticanplum
06-06-2006, 11:13 AM
I admire the Yankees from an organizational standpoint. They cannily generate a lot of money, use it well, have a sharp eye for talent, have a great front office, scout well, "play the game the way it's supposed to be played", and have a win-at-all-costs kind of attitude. And yes, they operate withon the by-laws of MLB and are perennially a powerhouse of a team.

But, no matter what is said and done, at the end of the day, I ... still ... hate ... the ... Yankees. I think this is one battle you just can't win vaticanplum.

I will die trying! :)

I love the Yankees more than life itself, but I still have huge problems with some of the choices they make, both as a fan of the team and a supporter of baseball. So I can criticize a lot of their choices with the best of them, but it's the unfounded hate that gets to me, as it does with anything.

But I know...I know...they're still the Yankees and people are always going to hate them and I will spend half my life fighting with people about them. The fact that I love the Reds too is no doubt the only reason I am still alive.

VR
06-06-2006, 11:14 AM

How nice would it have been to have Blue and Seaver? I guess Bowie and Bud see competetive balance a bit differently.

The A's and Reds announce a deal that will send P Vida Blue to Cincinnati for OF Dave Revering and $1.75 million cash. Commissioner Kuhn will invalidate the deal on January 30, contending that too much money is involved and there would be a competitive imbalance created. He later sets a limit of $400,000 as the maximum that can be exchanged between teams.

westofyou
06-06-2006, 11:18 AM
How nice would it have been to have Blue and Seaver? I guess Bowie and Bud see competetive balance a bit differently.
Bowie "thought" he could save baseball, Bud is an agent of the owners.. the owners have been trying to get their house back since Landis died. Until all the "new money" owners came in their was too many old wounds that stopped a collective from forming, alliances shifted, needs shifted. By consolidating it all in one office and putting the Burger King crown on Buds skull the owners made their fifedom complete.

remdog
06-06-2006, 11:25 AM
One thing I notice is that there seems to be a perception that the Reds, under the new regime, remain an extremely frugal organization. I'm not sure that this is necessarily true.

Under Castellini and Krivsky I've gotten the sense that they are much more interested in being competitive than protecting the bottom line. They are willing to eat contracts, pick up players that they think can help them and, generally, don't seemed to be too concerned about 'how much does it cost?'.

Am I alone in this perception? Thoughts?

Rem

westofyou
06-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Am I alone in this perception? Thoughts?While the Reds have increased signage and partnerships the payroll is still going to be affected by the fannies in the seats, which is still a weak sister to this seasons success. Though there is probably more cash around (new owner, HOF expenses down, ads tie ins etc) I don't expect the Reds to throw it at anything without taking a long hard look at the possible result, on the field and on the future ledger.

vaticanplum
06-06-2006, 11:42 AM
One thing I notice is that there seems to be a perception that the Reds, under the new regime, remain an extremely frugal organization. I'm not sure that this is necessarily true.

Under Castellini and Krivsky I've gotten the sense that they are much more interested in being competitive than protecting the bottom line. They are willing to eat contracts, pick up players that they think can help them and, generally, don't seemed to be too concerned about 'how much does it cost?'.

Rem

I agree with you. They new regime strikes me as thoughtful, but not inherently tight-fisted. Early on there was an interview with Krivsky saying something along the lines of, "if I bring something to the table and Castellini says 'do you really believe in this?' and I say yes, I do, then he will do it." That kind of trust can't exist without a little bit of financial freedom. They won't be purchasing foolishly, but they will be spending when necessary. Crap, did I just paint a picture of a team I would have chosen to be a fan of?! Remind me of that next time White comes in to pitch.

I don't actually think of the Reds as a small-market team anyway...in terms of payroll, aren't they pretty much right in the middle now? I think the tendency is to think of them as smaller-market than they really are due to their performance over the last few years, when in fact the amount of money had nothing to do with that, only the way they chose to spend it.

redsfan4445
06-06-2006, 11:46 AM

Rem

AMEN!! Your exactly right.. this isnt Linder running the Reds.. BOB HATES losing.. so i put my trust in BOB to get us to the World Series hopefully this year and in the future.. and im sooo glad this team is playing well.. under Linder he would be crying poverty... thanks BOB!!

pedro
06-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't think the Reds will trade Griffey just to dump his salary.

Castellini is a different type of owner than Lindner.

reds44
06-06-2006, 12:01 PM
No way I am trading Griffey or Dunn right now, especially Griffey.

registerthis
06-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Castellini is a different type of owner than Lindner.

Yeah Lindner, as we came to know, wouldn't trade Junior at all. :)

KronoRed
06-06-2006, 04:17 PM

They will have to show it's not true for that perception to go away, still they will never be throwing money at the team like the Mets do, they will be smart but we'll always have a lower level payroll.

Ohioballplayer
06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
According to a person with knowledge of the Reds' thinking, they aren't ready to deal Ken Griffey Jr. or Adam Dunn. A weekend report had the Yankees inquiring about the outfielders.

"They are three games behind the Cardinals, who are banged up," the source said. "It would be difficult to trade them for young talent while they are still in it."

redsmetz
06-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Griffey is a huge risk from an injury standpoint and a clubhouse presence

Are they saying he's a risk from injury standpont AND a risk as a clubhouse presence or are they seperating these? I don't think you could ask for a more unselfish team player - IMO.

pedro
06-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Are they saying he's a risk from injury standpont AND a risk as a clubhouse presence or are they seperating these? I don't think you could ask for a more unselfish team player - IMO.

Love Griffey, but if he was truly all that unselfish a team player I think he would at least be open to discussion about moving from CF IMO.

TMBS, I in no way think he's a negative influence in the clubhouse.