PDA

View Full Version : Retire The Old Lefthanders Number

Ltlabner
06-05-2006, 01:25 PM
As I'm sure many of you did, I remember falling asleep to the crackling sounds of Marty & Joe on my transistor radio. West cost games were the best because (1) I hated the Dodgers and (2) I could wake up at 2am and hear Marty & Joe...often times still half asleep wondering what the heck was going on.

For a time I used to dread Joe's innings because they seemed to drag compared to Marty's. But as I got to the ripe old teen years I realized that Joe had a charm all his own. The miss-pronounced player names. His yelling "get out" in the background durring Marty's home run calls. His marvoulus side-kick banter with Marty.

My all time favorite Joe moment was the Louis Quinoious (sp?) interview. Louis was "star of the game" and let loose with a stream of unintelligable spanish but it didn't phase Joe one bit. He just kept asking his questions as if he had any clue what was being said. To this day, the mere mention of Louis Q causes my father and I to break down laughing.

Joe may not be the greatest player ever but he made a valuable controbution to the Reds, valuable enough to enter him into the Reds HOF. I even remember when he still pitched batting practice before running upstairs for the broadcast. His on-air contribution can not possibly be calculated. And now with his charitable works, Joe continues to pour himself out for the Reds and Cincinnati.

Let's start a campaign to have Joe's number retired by the Reds. Yes, I'm sure someone out there will find this an "emotional responce" to his recient illness. So be it. I think we should take the time to let the man knows what the city and the world of baseball thinks of him before it's too late.

If you agree with this, please take a minute to write a letter to the Reds or make a phone call asking for his number to be retired. The address is GABP, 100 Main Street, Cincinnati Ohio 45202. Mr. Robert Castellini is the correct spelling. The phone number is 513-765-7000.

tsj017
06-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I'd have no problem with retiring Joe's number.

Remember, though, there is a statue of him outside the ballpark, and his beloved catch-phrase is in giant letters behind the third-base side. Joe's been given his due (and it's entirely appropriate).

I was hoping GABP would be Nuxhall Field. "Tonight, it's the Reds versus the Cubs at the Nux."

gilpdawg
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm too young to remember Joe as a player, so what WAS his number, anyway? I love the idea. They should do it. You never know at his age how much longer he'll be around. And it'd make his year.

Cyclone792
06-05-2006, 04:19 PM
I've always felt that retiring uniform numbers is a tradition that belongs solely to players for their playing accomplishments on the field. Nuxhall was a popular pitcher, but if we're only considering his playing accomplishments, there's better candidates out there.

That said, there's quite a few numbers I would retire before Nuxhall ... here's the definite guys first ...

#11 Barry Larkin
#30 Paul Derringer
#31 Bucky Walters

Derringer and Walters wore more than one uniform number in their career with the Reds, but those numbers would undoubtedly be the ones they'd be best remembered with, IMO.

Ernie Lombardi wore #7, #27, #17, #2, #35 and #4 with the Reds. He wore #4 when the Reds won the World Series in 1940 and NL Pennant in 1939, plus he had solid years each of those seasons. I wouldn't be opposed to hanging up #4 in Schnozz's honor.

Eppa Rixey did not wear a uniform number for the bulk of his career, but in his final two seasons he wore #18 for the Reds.

Edd Roush, unfortunately, never wore a uniform #, and Dolf Luque never wore a uniform # while with the Reds (he did wear two different numbers, 16 and later on 20, while with the New York Giants).

The problem is, except for Larkin's #11, the vast majority of the fan base has no sense of connection to any of the other above players/numbers, despite the great historical impact by those players on this franchise.

redsmetz
06-05-2006, 04:33 PM
He just kept asking his questions

No, that wouldn't be right. Joe has NEVER asked a question. He's always made a statement and the player responded. [Note, this is not a knock, it's just the way it has always been]

Someone else mentioned that Edd Roush never had a number. I think he should still be honoroed much the same way that the Giants note Christy Mathewson and John McGraw (both pre-numbers members of the Giants family).

redsmetz
06-05-2006, 04:34 PM
The problem is, except for Larkin's #11, the vast majority of the fan base has no sense of connection to any of the other above players/numbers, despite the great historical impact by those players on this franchise.

I think it is incumbent on the present ownership to start bringing fans onboard with much of this history.

Caseyfan21
06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Edd Roush, unfortunately, never wore a uniform #, and Dolf Luque never wore a uniform # while with the Reds (he did wear two different numbers, 16 and later on 20, while with the New York Giants).

I'd like to see the Reds do something like the Tigers did at Comerica putting the statues of each players who had their number retired as well as the number below. They put up a statue for Ty Cobb, just no number underneath. This would work well for those two.

Ltlabner
06-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I've always felt that retiring uniform numbers is a tradition that belongs solely to players for their playing accomplishments on the field. Nuxhall was a popular pitcher, but if we're only considering his playing accomplishments, there's better candidates out there.

Normally, I'd agree with you but I think Nuhxie might be an exception. Here's a guy that has dedicated his life (in part) to the Reds since he was 15. With the execption of Cheif Bender, is there another person in the Reds organization with that length of service in so many different capacities? Maybe so, my memory ain't what it used to be.

Because of his dedication to the team, and all the unique roles he's played, I think it's worth considering retiring his number.

I did, however, forget about his statue and the 'rounding 3rd and heading for home" on the side of the stadium. Thanks for reminding me.

Danny Serafini
06-05-2006, 11:03 PM

Which is why it's much less likely any of them will have their number retired. It's a great honor, but there is a little commercial aspect to it as well. Retiring Barry Larkin's number will bring a lot of people out on a Tuesday night against the Pirates that typically wouldn't go to the game. Paul Derringer Night wouldn't sell more than about four extra tickets. It's also why we'll never see an Eppa Rixey bobblehead.

Yachtzee
06-05-2006, 11:05 PM

That said, there's quite a few numbers I would retire before Nuxhall ... here's the definite guys first ...

#11 Barry Larkin
#30 Paul Derringer
#31 Bucky Walters

Derringer and Walters wore more than one uniform number in their career with the Reds, but those numbers would undoubtedly be the ones they'd be best remembered with, IMO.

Ernie Lombardi wore #7, #27, #17, #2, #35 and #4 with the Reds. He wore #4 when the Reds won the World Series in 1940 and NL Pennant in 1939, plus he had solid years each of those seasons. I wouldn't be opposed to hanging up #4 in Schnozz's honor.

Eppa Rixey did not wear a uniform number for the bulk of his career, but in his final two seasons he wore #18 for the Reds.

I would probably add #13 for Davey Concepcion.

I think it might be good if the Reds were to create a "Ring of Honor" type tribute around the stadium. They could put up name and number for those who have had their numbers retired, and then put up just the name for players who wore no number/multiple numbers. I think it would be a fitting tribute for past Reds greats, but avoid the problem of trying to decide what number to retire for those who had none, or wore multiple numbers during their career.

Unassisted
06-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I think numbers should be retired very sparingly and it should at least be limited to BBHOFers. Teams with a lot of retired numbers are nearly getting to the point where they have to use triple-digit numbers in spring training. I'd hate to see that happen, because it would look silly. Better to clamp down now and reserve the honor for the best of the best.

Joe's been in the Reds HOF for nearly 40 years now, having been voted in during the tenth year of its existence. I think having his signature tagline on the outside of GABP and visible from I-71 is sufficient immortality for his broadcast work.

KySteveH
06-08-2006, 12:56 PM
I agree that it's getting hard, with all the retired numbers, trying to get everyone on the team a number. There's only 59 numbers altogether, unless you start using 60's and up. The Reds have retired 7 numbers officially, and 3 more unofficially, then you have 8 coaches. So there are only 42 numbers available for players to wear, unless you have a goofball like Rick White or Ben Weber on the team, using some uncommon number.

My idea would be to have coaches and a mangers stop wearing numbers. Actually, I think the fact that the wear uniforms at all is silly, but the numbers could be eliminated without much trouble.

RedsBaron
06-08-2006, 01:16 PM
I think numbers should be retired very sparingly and it should at least be limited to BBHOFers. Teams with a lot of retired numbers are nearly getting to the point where they have to use triple-digit numbers in spring training. I'd hate to see that happen, because it would look silly. Better to clamp down now and reserve the honor for the best of the best.

Joe's been in the Reds HOF for nearly 40 years now, having been voted in during the tenth year of its existence. I think having his signature tagline on the outside of GABP and visible from I-71 is sufficient immortality for his broadcast work.
I agree. If and when Larkin makes the Hall of Fame (the Cooperstown version), I would favor retiring his number. No one not named Pete Rose should ever again wear number 14 for the Reds, even if the number cannot be officially retired. That's really it for me with regard to retired Reds. Concepcion? Only if he gets inducted in Cooperstown. Seaver? While I was glad to see him inducted in the Reds HOF, his accomplishments as a Red were not enough IMO to have his Reds number retired.
While you cannot "unretire" numbers, I would not have retired Hutch's no. 1 or Klu's number 18. I just regard having a number retired as a very rare honor only to be given to very few.

Mario-Rijo
06-08-2006, 07:21 PM
An outstanding gesture by LT. I think w/o question it should at least be considered. As much as I adore Joe Nuxhall, I am not fully on board with the retiring of his #. I will say that I am also not necc. opposed. I think it will help to look at his accomplishments for those who don't know The 'Ole LH.

This guy pitched for the Reds at the age of 15 (1944), granted it was 2/3 of an inning and his era after that 2/3rds was 68.18 which no doubt hurt his career #'s a bit. He walked 5 and gave up 2 hits and 5 er w/ no K's.

He came back 8 years later (Kearns V. '05 oughta be glad he didn't have this kind of wait between appearances at the big league level) in 1952 and pitched until 10-02-1966 (6 years to the day prior to the date of yours truly's birth BTW, semi-ironic). 16 ttl. yrs mostly as a Red (1yr w/ the A's, and a short 5 game stint w/ the Angels).

His stats were not overwhelming but it was apparent he had his 'niche so to speak and he was solid at it for the most part. Incidentally the 'Ole LH had some pop as evidenced by that gaudy OPS for a pitcher.

Games: 526
GS: 287 - Complete Games: 83 w/ 20 Shutouts
Record: 135-117 - Winning % .536
ERA: 3.90
K's: 1,372
BB's: 776
Saves: 19
OPS: .532 (15 career jacks, 3 triples, 21 dbls)
Avg.: .198
2 Time All-Star 1955-56
1 17 win season, 1 15 win season
No WS appearances.

Yeah not a bad career but it's not neccessarily why he is so important to us, cause let's face it the only ones who get retired are the the excellent and the epitome of excellence on the field. The Red's I would imagine could elect to retire his #, but if you gave Nuxie the decision on whether or not too do it himself he might actually be embarrassed to be included with those on the wall for his accomplishments on the field and he would shoot it down quickly.

It sounds like a good question for the Banana Phone & Marty. But I actually agree that it should be for the players on the field accomplishments only and Nuxie just doesn't add up. But that doesn't mean he is any less important than those guys, after all how many of those guys have been affiliated and active for 62 years?!!!:thumbup: for the one of the games coolest guys!