PDA

View Full Version : Reitsma's fall from Grace

westofyou
06-05-2006, 09:02 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Marc's Blog

Reitsma's downward slide

ATLANTA -- Funny someone mentioned Chris Reitsma in a comment below. I'm sitting here at Hartsfield waiting for a connection to St. Louis and just read a Jeff Schultz column in the AJC (http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2006/06/04/in_summation_th.html) on the woeful Braves. In case you didn't hear, they got swept in a four-game set by Arizona, the first time they've absorbed one of those from any opponent since 1995.

Anyway, Reitsma sounds as if he's become persona non grata here in my old hometown. Read something the other day where somebody driving by in his neighborhood yelled something at him. Today, Schultz refers to him as "the lost Marx brother, Implodo" after Reitsma gave up a couple of homers in the ninth yesterday.

Something's got to give with the Braves, and Reitsma can't be feeling too good about his job security. Always enjoyed dealing with the guy, and he obviously was far more effective during his time in Cincinnati. I can't believe he's fallen this far, but it might not be long before he joins Danny Graves in the International League.

Nugget
06-05-2006, 09:14 PM
So does this now make the Reitsma trade a wash?

top6
06-05-2006, 09:48 PM
So does this now make the Reitsma trade a wash?
well, we did get a good two years of amusement out of having a player named Juan Bong, so I'm thinking the Reds actually came out ahead.

harangatang
06-05-2006, 10:08 PM
It was the right time to trade Reitsma (along with Riedling, remember when Florida wanted to trade for him and the Reds wouldn't do it) but unfortunately we got nothing in return for Reitsma, mainly because of a former GM, whose name escapes me.;)

WVRed
06-05-2006, 10:12 PM
It was the right time to trade Reitsma (along with Riedling, remember when Florida wanted to trade for him and the Reds wouldn't do it) but unfortunately we got nothing in return for Reitsma, mainly because of a former GM, whose name escapes me.;)

Exactly.

Thing is, as bad as Reitsma has fallen, he did give the Braves a quality setupman and temporary fix at closer. Bubba Nelson will be lucky to sniff the majors and Bong hasn't produced.

Cedric
06-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Reitsma always relied on being lucky. I never thought anything of him or Acevado when people were all about them.

captainmorgan07
06-06-2006, 12:58 AM
i say this trade is about equal in suckiness

Unassisted
06-06-2006, 12:59 AM
I was at that game Sunday but left at the 7th Inning stretch and missed seeing Reitsma's Graves-esque performance. The TV and radio people in Atlanta couldn't stop talking last night and this morning about how stunned they are by how poorly the Braves are doing this year.

During the game, the Braves' scoreboard showed a list of their injured players. I think there were 7 names on that list. That has to be a factor. I also think the loss of Leo Mazzone is hurting more than they're letting on.

cincinnati chili
06-06-2006, 01:14 AM
The Braves got the better of the deal by far, even if Reitsma's never good again. Chris was useful for two years at a reasonable salary. We got squat.

I kinda liked the deal at the time. But that's why I'm here at the computer, and Schuerholz is baseball's highest paid GM.

Reds1
06-06-2006, 01:14 AM
I can't believe they still run Reitsma out of there, but for sure BRaves got the better end of the deal. I'd still take him over White. :)

smith288
06-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Is Reitsma's change too predictable now or something? I know his is pretty devestating when used correctly but perhaps he is just not mixing it in at the right times now?

REDREAD
06-06-2006, 09:45 AM
I disagree about this trade being even close to even.

Reitsma has given the Braves 3 solid years. Maybe Reitsma isn't closer material, but he was a solid reliever for 3 years. At the time he was traded, he was coming of a season for the Reds where he was 25 years old, and had a 3.64 ERA in 138 innings (starting and relieving). The Reds got absolutely nothing for him. At the time, many clubs were interested in Reitsma, and somehow DanO managed to get NOTHING for him.

While Reitsma has had a rough start, there's still plenty of time for him to turn it around. Again, even if he's not a closer, he can still contribute. Meanwhile, Nelson and Bong aren't even in the organization anymore. The Braves still have an asset. We have nothing.

15fan
06-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Reitsma has given the Braves 3 solid years.

He was traded to the Braves prior to the start of the '04 season. He's currently in his third season in Atlanta. In '04, he finished with a 4.07 ERA, and last year he had a 3.93 ERA. I don't know that I'd call those 2 years solid. He wasn't great. He wasn't awful. He was like a 2005 David Weathers.

This year, though, the guy has been flat out bad. in 25.0 IP, he has given up 36 hits and 20 earned runs. That's a 7.20 ERA for those of you keeping score at home. That's Rick White / Dave Williams territory.

My guess is that the Braves will give him a few more shots to right himself. If he can't, I think he'd be another guy for Krivsky to consider picking up on the cheap (a la Ross, Phillips, etc). Maybe Reitsma is injured. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. Either way, it could be another low risk option.

Speaking of the Braves, their catcher McCann is supposedly not that far away from returning. While he's been out, the Braves have been running Todd Pratt out there on a regular basis. My guess is that Krivsky could have a potential trading partner in John Schuerholz at some point this summer. The Braves desperately need a backup catcher, and Cincy seems to have plenty of catchers to go around...

Highlifeman21
06-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Reitsma misses Diamonds in Centerville.

He used to be a regular there. Ever since he got traded and doesn't have that fine establishment at his fingertips, his numbers have suffered.

Bottomline, return Reitsma to the Reds, get him closer to Diamonds once more, and he'll return to form.

15fan
06-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Reitsma misses Diamonds in Centerville.

Trust me, there are plenty of those types of establishments around the ATL.

(Or so I've been told.) ;)

And he's got Andruw Jones to show him around to boot!

westofyou
06-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Trust me, there are plenty of those types of establishments around the ATL.

(Or so I've been told.) ;)

And he's got Andruw Jones to show him around to boot!
Drive behind a cab for 30 seconds and tell me you don't know where they are.

Sea Ray
06-06-2006, 11:46 AM
He was traded to the Braves prior to the start of the '04 season. He's currently in his third season in Atlanta. In '04, he finished with a 4.07 ERA, and last year he had a 3.93 ERA. I don't know that I'd call those 2 years solid. He wasn't great. He wasn't awful. He was like a 2005 David Weathers.

This year, though, the guy has been flat out bad. in 25.0 IP, he has given up 36 hits and 20 earned runs. That's a 7.20 ERA for those of you keeping score at home. That's Rick White / Dave Williams territory.

My guess is that the Braves will give him a few more shots to right himself. If he can't, I think he'd be another guy for Krivsky to consider picking up on the cheap (a la Ross, Phillips, etc). Maybe Reitsma is injured. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. Either way, it could be another low risk option.

Speaking of the Braves, their catcher McCann is supposedly not that far away from returning. While he's been out, the Braves have been running Todd Pratt out there on a regular basis. My guess is that Krivsky could have a potential trading partner in John Schuerholz at some point this summer. The Braves desperately need a backup catcher, and Cincy seems to have plenty of catchers to go around...

I disagree. Those are solid numbers, especially in the Reds' bullpen. Check out our team ERA those years if you don't believe me. He is not a closer but he contributed as a setup man on two division championships. You don't think the Reds could have used that kind of arm in their bullpen?

This year he's fallen on hard times. Even if he's through with the Braves, we got totally screwed in this deal. Thanks OB...

Interesting that the Braves feel this is an awful year. They're one game under .500 even after a horrible weekend.