View Full Version : Germano down, Joe Mays up

LoganBuck
06-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Per Marc's Blog

Germano down, Mays up

Great, just great.:thumbdown

KronoRed
06-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Germano down? come on...White all but begged to be sent down.

Mario-Rijo
06-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Hmmm, could this be Mays to the rotation and Claussen to the pen? I doubt it he bounced back ok tonight. Even though he didn't get the ball inside enough to Encarnacion. But ya never know.

LoganBuck
06-06-2006, 12:18 AM
From Marc's Blog: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Late-night roster move

ST. LOUIS -- Following the game, Justin Germano was summoned into Jerry Narron's office along with Tom Hume and Lee Tunnell. That's never a good sign for one's job security.

Germano was told he was being optioned back to Louisville so he can get some more work -- he hasn't pitched since last Tuesday -- and the Reds will bring in Joe Mays to take his roster spot tomorrow. Narron was quite clear that Mays will be working out of the bullpen.

The Reds don't need to make a 40-man roster move, as they were working with 39 after picking up Esteban Yan last week.

cincinnati chili
06-06-2006, 12:18 AM
I have VERY mixed feelings about this. I've never, ever cheered against the Reds for fantasy baseball purposes. But at this moment, I sit at #3 in Baseball Prospectus' Hacking Mass (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/hm/?mode=team&owner=littleball&nocache=1149567108). A few months of Joe Mays and his 6.00+ ERA might be enough to put me over the top.

I can win $500 and be known throughout the land as a worse GM than DanO.

Caveat Emperor
06-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Anything that pushes Rick White further down the depth chart has to be a good thing, right?

toledodan
06-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Anything that pushes Rick White further down the depth chart has to be a good thing, right?

i agree but what is it going to take to get him off the team?:bang:

captainmorgan07
06-06-2006, 12:37 AM
something like watergate

LoganBuck
06-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Videos of him stealing Griffey's batting gloves?

top6
06-06-2006, 12:46 AM
well, i didn't even realize germano was up, so i can't be too angry about this.

WVRedsFan
06-06-2006, 12:52 AM

Trouble is, Narron won't change his "rotation." White will still get his work and it will be disastrous. Why are we saddled with these managers who know who's going to pitch next regardless of the situation?

Caseyfan21
06-06-2006, 12:52 AM
This is the same reason Denorfia is still at Triple A while McCracken is in Cincinnati. It's more beneficial for young players to play every day so they keep getting better. Germano wasn't gettting work in the long relief role so it's better for him to pitch every 5 days. I'd rather bring in Joe Mays once a week when we are down big than waste Germano's learning curve. If this was the 5th spot in the rotation then I'd have a problem but this is just the mop up role. Besides, why would you want to release White and bring up Mays? That would make no sense to have two long men. White's job is safe for now because we have nobody in Triple A in the short inning relief role that is doing anything. I bet if Wagner starts consistently dominating down there he'd be back up and White would be packing.

BCubb2003
06-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Joe Mays or Joe Mays Hayes?

reds44
06-06-2006, 12:58 AM
When Belisle is back, White better be the one going out.

Caseyfan21
06-06-2006, 01:03 AM
When Belisle is back, White better be the one going out.

Unless they are planning on using Belisle in short inning situations I don't think he will. Belisle has primarily been the long man in the bullpen which is the job Mays will have. I would expect unless Mays pitches brilliantly or there is a starting rotation injury that Mays would be the one to go once Belisle is ready.

Narron could try Belisle in a short relief role and get rid of White too. I would definately be more in favor of that scenario.

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Well, Mays has never pitched out of the bullpen for a full season, just half-time in his 1999 rookie year and occasionally in the years since.

He's really just in to be a long reliever or the "second starter" on those Claussen days, and if it was going to be him or Germano in that role, at this moment I'd pick Mays; Justin needs more AAA.

Of course, I'd like to see White DFA'd in favor of just about any living, breathing human this side of Standridge. That goes without saying.

Nugget
06-06-2006, 01:27 AM
I think the question could be answered with information about when Beslisle is coming off the DL. Mays pitched yesterday and went pretty well. So that being said he wasn't going to be used by Louisville for another 5 days which means sending Germano down to get work maybe tomorrow is fine. And Mays goes back down once Beslisle is back. Even though Mays hasn't worked consistently out of the pen it will probably be easier to plug him in tomorrow for Milton than a cold Germano.

KronoRed
06-06-2006, 01:46 AM
Hey Jerry, if you have trouble finding work for the 12th pitcher maybe, JUST MAYBE ;) we can do without it?

Caveat Emperor
06-06-2006, 03:26 AM
The sad thing is that Rick White is actually getting worse as he gets more work, compared to Chris Hammond who has improved dramatically after starting off with a slide-rule ERA initially.

You gotta love a relief pitcher who averages 2 runners and over 1 earned run per inning pitched.

G GS W L Sv Hld IP H ER R HR BB SO K/9 WHIP ERA
April 10 0 1 0 1 1 12.1 15 6 9 3 1 6 4.38 1.30 4.38
May 11 0 0 0 0 1 9.0 16 10 11 1 2 8 8.00 2.00 10.00
At this point, I'm convinced someone in the Cincinnati media is going to have to catch him sacraficing a child in a satanic ritual before he's shipped back to the minors.

Krusty
06-06-2006, 08:02 AM
As mentioned before, it would be a surprise to see White designated for assignment when Belisle is ready to come off the DL.

Roy Tucker
06-06-2006, 08:40 AM
I understand sending Germano down to get his work. Mays can do mop-up and there is a 30% chance Mays can work his way up and become a servicable part out of the bullpen. Which is worth a shot.

But this is like the first 2-3 months of last year when Aurilia was stinking up the joint and it went against all logic that he stayed on the roster. I cannot for the life of me understand why Rick White is still on this team. I've got nothing against the guy, I'm sure he's a good husband and father and doesn't kick his dog, but he really just isn't very good and I think his performance this year has proven so. He must have pictures of Narron and Krivsky in a compromising position.

Az Red
06-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Ok, Marc, your the public voice of the fan. Please, write up the article explaining the albatross White has become.

Let the public outrage begin!!!:angry:

Big Klu
06-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Hey Jerry, if you have trouble finding work for the 12th pitcher maybe, JUST MAYBE ;) we can do without it?

And BINGO was his name-o! :thumbup:

flyer85
06-06-2006, 10:16 AM
No reason to keep Germano up if they weren't going to use him, and it had become apparent that he was the last man in the bullpen.

penantboundreds
06-06-2006, 11:15 AM
But this is like the first 2-3 months of last year when Aurilia was stinking up the joint and it went against all logic that he stayed on the roster.

what? hes now one of our more valuable players on the team (imo) at least u can say he contributes

KronoRed
06-06-2006, 04:20 PM
But this is like the first 2-3 months of last year when Aurilia was stinking up the joint and it went against all logic that he stayed on the roster.

Rich had some history of doing well, White..not so much.

alloverjr
06-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Rich had some history of doing well, White..not so much.

I caught the tail end of a conversation on local sports talk this afternoon which, among other things, involved White. Whoever the host was (I don't normally listen so I've no idea if the guy knows what he's talking about) stated that White has in his contract that he must be on the 25 man until 6/15. He cannot be traded before then or be released (I'm assuming without some sort of financial penalty clause kicking in). So, the end analysis was that White would be gone on or soon after the 16th. Again, I don't know how accurate the information is but it could explain why a man of White's stature - and they released Hancock for being fat! - is still on the roster. What he couldn't explain was why Narron continued to use him in games that were not yet decided.

GAC
06-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Germano down? come on...White all but begged to be sent down.

You can't send White down. DFA him?.... yes.

WebScorpion
06-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Just a quick thought on Mays. He was rehabbing after TJ surgery in '04, so '05 would have been his strengthening season after the surgery. That means he should be at full strength now...if he's corrected his mechanics, what he's doing now should be the top of his game. If he's bad, I won't expect him to improve, but I'm hoping he can be solid. He had a good season once, so he could be a serviceable #4 or 5.

KronoRed
06-07-2006, 04:28 PM
You can't send White down. DFA him?.... yes.
Send him somewhere else.