PDA

View Full Version : According to Marc's blog... (Joe Mays recalled)

EKURed
06-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Joe Mays is being called up tomorrow and Germano is being optioned to get more work. Marc says Narron makes it clear that Mays will be in the bullpen.

SanDiegoRed
06-06-2006, 12:20 AM
I would throw Mays into the rotation and move Claussen to the pen...what the heck could it hurt? Mays has looked good in AAA....

toledodan
06-06-2006, 12:25 AM
I would throw Mays into the rotation and move Claussen to the pen...what the heck could it hurt? Mays has looked good in AAA....

to tell you the truth moving BC to the pen may not be a bad option. they showed his numbers for the first 3 innings this season and they were good. i'm not saying mays would be a good option in the rotation but BC in the bullpen could help this club if we could find another starter.

roby
06-06-2006, 12:30 AM
It ought to be Rick White that goes...no matter who they bring up or where they put them on the pitching staff. White is a sink hole.

captainmorgan07
06-06-2006, 12:32 AM
germano does need more work just sitting around aint doin him no good give whites innings to joe mays

bleedsred
06-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Could White be out when Belisle(sp) returns? I also would like to see Brandon in the pen....

Bob Borkowski
06-06-2006, 12:43 AM
I still contend that the Reds have one too many pitchers on the staff.

The starters are going deeper into games this season and Narron isn't able to give everybody enough work.

Dump one

Johnny Footstool
06-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Joe Mays couldn't hack it with the Royals. Why should the Reds give him a chance?

Chip R
06-06-2006, 12:45 AM
It ought to be Rick White that goes...no matter who they bring up or where they put them on the pitching staff. White is a sink hole.

Why White is still on this ball club is a mystery to me. If you want to call Mays up, fine. But I would wager Germano would do a better job than White.

reds44
06-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Could White be out when Belisle(sp) returns?
That would be my guess.

billy117
06-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Why White is still on this ball club is a mystery to me.

Oh you don't know? He keeps the starting pitchers humble by keeping their win totals lower, which in turn keeps their salaries down.

CTA513
06-06-2006, 01:00 AM
germano does need more work just sitting around aint doin him no good give whites innings to joe mays

Germano was doing the same thing Belisle did when he was in the bullpen.
Sit around most of the week and if he was lucky he got to pitch 1 inning.
I know they are both supposed to be the long relief pitchers,
but they need more work than once every 6 or 7 days.

jimbo
06-06-2006, 01:03 AM

I understand your reasonig behind moving Claussen to the pen, but I just don't think he is the type of pitcher that will have much success as a reliever. Unless you use him as a situational reliever against left-handed hitters, I just don't like the idea of a left-handed finesse pitcher in the bullpen. Of course, Hammond throws that theory out the door, but I think he is an exception to the rule.

Claussen's problem is all in his head in my opinion. He needs more of a killer mentality instead of pitching soft like he currently does.

KronoRed
06-06-2006, 01:49 AM
Joe Mays couldn't hack it with the Royals. Why should the Reds give him a chance?
Cause he's a former Twin

Guacarock
06-06-2006, 02:54 AM

Simple answer.

Mays couldn't hack it with the Royals in a starting role. But from what Narron is saying, we aren't going to be using him as a starter -- just as a reliever for now.

Let's say he posts an ERA between 4.00 and 6.00 as a Reds reliever for the month of June. He could reasonably be expected to do that, based on his 3.20 ERA at Louisville.

If that happens, no, he's not going to replace Claussen in the rotation. But he would most likely dislodge White and his 7.25 ERA from the pen.

There's an advantage, however temporary, in using AL discards like Yan and Mays for bullpen service. NL batters haven't seen them. NL scouts don't have full reports on their weaknesses.

Eventually, in most cases, that edge gets erased. The positive potential of the "X" factor can be expected to weaken, and veterans like Yan and Mays most likely will start to fall to their career norms.

But if they can get us through the month of June, then they will have done their job. If they can keep us in the hunt, then we have bought the time to seek out even better relief options for a final playoff push. Since they come to us so cheaply, without us having to sacrifice true talent to acquire them, we have preserved our trading stock for when it really matters -- crunch time.

This is smart roster juggling on Krivsky's part. If Yan and Mays get religion and revitalize their careers, Krivsky again catches lightning in a bottle, the same way he's done with Phillips, David Ross, and yes, even Arroyo. If the results are less spectacular, no harm, no foul. We just move from Plan B to Plan C, or else expend a little more of our resources to implement Plan B+.

edabbs44
06-06-2006, 05:36 AM
I would put Mays in the BP and throw White in the Ohio.

Raisor
06-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Like I said before, the problem with the Joe Mays signining was that eventually he was going to be brought up.

icehole3
06-06-2006, 06:45 AM
The Angry Guys are reporting that White has an clause in his contract that he cant be released, traded or thrown into the Ohio until mid-June.

RedFanAlways1966
06-06-2006, 07:51 AM

The REDS didn't learn their lesson when they got Jeff Austin in a trade from the Royals a few years ago...!??!?

:help:

Krusty
06-06-2006, 08:10 AM
The Angry Guys are reporting that White has an clause in his contract that he cant be released, traded or thrown into the Ohio until mid-June.

Belisle's return from the DL sounds about the right time to cut ties with White.

registerthis
06-06-2006, 09:14 AM

Well, to be fair, NO ONE hacks it with the Royals anymore. That's what makes them the Royals.

deltachi8
06-06-2006, 09:29 AM
I still contend that the Reds have one too many pitchers on the staff.

The starters are going deeper into games this season and Narron isn't able to give everybody enough work.

Dump one

Well said and I agree. However, if you must have 12 pitchers with the 12th getting little work, then that is where Mays belongs.

Johnny Footstool
06-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, to be fair, NO ONE hacks it with the Royals anymore. That's what makes them the Royals.

True, but being cut from the Royals is like being fired from McDonald's. If you can't hack it there, you've really got nowhere else to go.

Puffy
06-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Joe Mays is fodder. Pure fodder.

RedFanAlways1966
06-06-2006, 12:45 PM
I hope Mays only fiils the role of "losing by 10 runs and only on the mound to save the other arms".

Oh wait.... the REDS already have 2 or 3 viable candidates for that job in the bullpen as it is. Oh-oh...

:help:

KoryMac5
06-06-2006, 01:06 PM
It's a low risk high gain situation for the Reds. If he comes in and does a descent job the better for us in our run for the playoffs. If he comes in and blows up we all kind of expected that. Let's see what happens, hopefully Mays can find some magic.

gm
06-06-2006, 01:40 PM
True, but being cut from the Royals is like being fired from McDonald's. If you can't hack it there, you've really got nowhere else to go.

Dairy Queen?

Arctic Circle?

gm
06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
If he comes in and does a descent job.

descent = heading downhill

(decent)

Chip R
06-06-2006, 01:55 PM

I heard a part of that too. That is a very odd contract.

MartyFan
06-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I don't mind Mays being brought up...Hume may be able to work with him to improve on what he did in KC and who knows...he could turn out to be an effective option for us in the BP.

As for BC in the BP? I am not certain what I think of that only because if you look at his first inning numbers his first inning is shellshock and the second and third improve...so, if he can learn to be more effective in his first inning of work then the BP may work for him...heck, SP may work out for him...but I am not certain he is a guy I would want to bring in with a 2-3 run lead in the 5th.

registerthis
06-06-2006, 02:35 PM
descent = heading downhill

He probably meant to write "descent." I think it's entirely possible that Mays will do a descent job.

flyer85
06-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Mays has looked good in AAA....so has major Burns.

registerthis
06-06-2006, 02:37 PM
I heard a part of that too. That is a very odd contract.

Could a player have a clause in his contract that prevents him from being released? I mean, I suppose that he could--provided both parties agree. But why on Earth would the Reds agree to a clause like that? And what would be gained by enforcing the clause, from the player's perspective? You're getting paid either way, and you're only prolonging the inevitable release that will surely come once the deadline has passed.

roby
06-06-2006, 03:34 PM
If the reds are planning to cut White in late June, why are they using him in vital/very important games now? That doesn't make any sense. My fear is that they don't yet realize that he is a poor pitcher. (Like so many others in the past...we could make a really long list!). They need to wake up before he sabotages any contention hopes.

Matt700wlw
06-06-2006, 04:02 PM
to tell you the truth moving BC to the pen may not be a bad option. they showed his numbers for the first 3 innings this season and they were good.

I wouldn't rule it out. Mays has primarily been a starter, and could take Claussen's role if he contiunes to stink, which I'm not seeing any evidence why he won't. I know, the worst team (possibly ever in baseball) cut him, but it couldn't hurt (see Brandon Phillips....he was given up on too).

Belisle comes back, White goes. Why not? Mays doesn't work there, you can always put Belisle back in a starter role...he's done it.

The key is to hang in this thing till the all-star break, then I expect Krivsky to make the moves to push this team into its postseason run.

If it's one thing I've seen with Castellini/Krivsky so far...they're not just going to sit on their hands.

Johnny Footstool
06-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Dairy Queen?

Arctic Circle?

If you mean working in a Dairy Queen in the Arctic Circle, I'd still consider that a step up from McDonald's.