PDA

View Full Version : Official Redszone 2006 mock draft thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Betterread
06-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Ryan Wehrle U Nebraska Lincoln SS R/R 6'3" 1985-05-31 SO
Comments: As a draft-eligible sophomore, signability is a concern, but he's a comer in a class weak on college bats. A good hitter with developing power, he may stay at shortstop as a pro, but his bat will play at third base down the road.

Braves select Ryan Wehrle, SS, University of Nebraska. A close call between him and Cole Gillespie.

Good choice. I've seen Wehrle play and I think he's a future professional. I hope the Reds take a look at him.

NC Reds
06-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Good choice. I've seen Wehrle play and I think he's a future professional. I hope the Reds take a look at him.

I'm hoping he falls to the fourth or fifth round for the Reds. I'd like to see some college starters taken in the first three rounds. Most of my mock draft I was picking who I thought the Braves would take, not who I would take.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Washington Nationals Draft List
(15) Kyle Drabek RHP
(22) Josh Butler RHP
(59) Shane Robinson CF
(70) Marcus Lemon 2B/SS
(91) Andy Underwood RHP

Well....um....I had fun, at any rate. :thumbup:

M2
06-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, I got the most picks. Time will tell if any of them are any good.

(27) Colton Willems, RHP, John Carroll Catholic HS (FL)
(28) Pedro Beato, RHP, St. Petersburg JC (FL)
(40) Jason Place, OF, Wren HS (SC)
(44) Steven Wright, RHP, University of Hawai'i
(71) Eddie Degerman, RHP, Rice U.
(83) Aaron Bates, 1B, N.C. State
(103) Joe Smith, RHP, Wright State

So that's two starters with high-end heaters and another, Degerman, who's hopefully a sleeper. Wright would be immediately sent to work in the pen and he and Smith would hopefully be quick-moving bullpen prospects.

Bates is a well-rounded college hitter and Place is a raw HS player, a bit of yin and yang there.

The ones who got away - Matt Antonelli, Cedric Hunter and Jordan Newton were three guys I really wanted to pick who got snatched up in front of me.

KronoRed
06-05-2006, 02:12 PM
The Cubs

Bill Rowell (13)

Yeah..solid drafting here.

rdiersin
06-05-2006, 02:19 PM
San Diego Padres final draft list
1. Brett Sinkbeil, rhp, Missouri State University
2. Lars Anderson, 1b, HS
3. Kris Johnson, lhp, Wichita State University
4. Mark Hamilton, 1b, Tulane Univesity (CE says roll wave)
5. Jeff Manship, rhp, University of Notre Dame

I feel alright with this. Should have went with Cole Gillespie, but I made a mistake there. Wanted Jared Hughes with the 4th pick, but alas he was gone.

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 02:28 PM
San Diego Padres final draft list
1. Brett Sinkbeil, rhp, Missouri State University
2. Lars Anderson, 1b, HS
3. Kris Johnson, lhp, Wichita State University
4. Mark Hamilton, 1b, Tulane Univesity (CE says roll wave)
5. Jeff Manship, rhp, University of Notre Dame

I feel alright with this. Should have went with Cole Gillespie, but I made a mistake there. Wanted Jared Hughes with the 4th pick, but alas he was gone.

I like your draft, as well as M2's.

I really, really liked Steven Wright out of Hawaii. He would have been a nice choice for me (Indians) to replace Bob Wickman on a somewhat fast pace, but overall, all players you two selected, I had looked at taking at some point. I think Kris Johnson is going to be good.

rdiersin
06-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I like your draft, as well as M2's.

I really, really liked Steven Wright out of Hawaii. He would have been a nice choice for me (Indians) to replace Bob Wickman on a somewhat fast pace, but overall, all players you two selected, I had looked at taking at some point. I think Kris Johnson is going to be good.

I liked Steven Wright too. I also like Parmalee, I liked watching his scouting video, the swing was nice. I also like Stephen King, who took him, Sandy? I thought that was nice pick as well.

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Yeah, Sandy took Stephen King with the 67th pick or so. I expect he'll go higher than that tomorrow.

Puffy
06-05-2006, 03:00 PM
The Yankees select Tommy Pham, SS, Neveda (HS)

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Puffy- how's it feel knowing that every single player you draft will be traded in the next 3-4 years, if not sooner?

Jpup
06-05-2006, 03:10 PM
anyone know where/if Drew Holder could be selected in the actual draft. I just started looking at numbers, plus he was the independent conference player of the year, a first team all-american(for the 2nd time) and seemed like a good fit in Oakland.

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 03:41 PM
reds44 and MattyMo are the last two to pick.

Have they sent picks in?

This was a lot of fun to do. Looking forward to doing it again for next year's draft.

dougdirt
06-05-2006, 03:44 PM
I think Reds44 said to give him the BPA. Who that would be, I dont know.

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 03:54 PM
I think Reds44 said to give him the BPA. Who that would be, I dont know.

I think the BPA on the list right now is:

RHP Jason Jarvis, Chaparrol HS (AZ)

W L ERA G SV IP H BB SO
12 0 1.40 17 2 70 57 19 76

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Lee was taken, so Jarvis should be the pick for reds44.

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 03:58 PM
nm

MattyHo4Life
06-05-2006, 03:59 PM
With the last pick of the draft... St. Louis Cardinals select Jason Stoffel, RHP, Agoura

rdiersin
06-05-2006, 04:00 PM
If it were my choice, I'd take Lee. :dunno:

I don't know if it matters, give him Lee unless that's Matty's choice.

NC Reds
06-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Chad Lee was picked at #60

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Good job everyone. :clap:

A real good idea by OBM, and a real nice job by everyone involved.

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Chad Lee was picked at #60

Whoops. I guess that means Jarvis is the pick.

rdiersin
06-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Yea, thanks to everyone, and OBM, Sandy, and RL too. I know I've really enjoyed myself with this.

jmcclain19
06-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Lots of good picks all around guys - and lots of fun.

I know I went with the strategy of who I thought the Rockies would pick. Looking at their last few drafts, they seem infatiuated with taking college pitchers who profile as relievers, so I skipped the middle man and just picked a college closer. The last pick was a semi-joke - I personally love Jeroloman as the best defensive catcher available tomorrow, but he's not a 3rd rounder, or even a 4th or 5th rounder.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Again, thanks to everyone who was involved with this. I know I had a freaking blast and I hope everyone did. We need to make this a tradition.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2006, 04:15 PM
1. Brandon Morrow, RHP, Cal
2. Matt LaPorta, 1B, Florida
3. Ryan Strieby, 1B, Kentucky

How would everyone feel if this were the Reds top three draft picks tomorrow? A power arm who could move fast through the organization, and two disciplined, power hitting first baseman? I love those type of hitters, as you can tell. :D

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 04:17 PM
1. Brandon Morrow, RHP, Cal
2. Matt LaPorta, 1B, Florida
3. Ryan Strieby, 1B, Kentucky

How would everyone feel if this were the Reds top three draft picks tomorrow? A power arm who could move fast through the organization, and two disciplined, power hitting first baseman? I love those type of hitters, as you can tell. :D

Don't know if I'd be happy with the Strieby pick in the 3rd round. Should be some arms available there that I might like instead, but I like the first two picks. Hard to complain about those 2 where you took them.

Puffy
06-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Good job everyone. :clap:

A real good idea by OBM, and a real nice job by everyone involved.

You should change your handle from Red Leader to Brown Nose Leader.

:mooner:

rdiersin
06-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Yea, I agree RL. I would be pretty happy with Morrow and Laporta. I imagine the Streiby pick was more because you wanted him, and it being the last round than anything. Tomorrow, he might be able to be had later. Also, wouldn't mind Cole Gillespie for the Reds. They need everything, not just pitchers.

Puffy
06-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Oh, and the Red Sox have sex with their fathers.

Puffy
06-05-2006, 04:27 PM
I was just looking over everyone's picks, and objectively, the Yankees had the best draft.

That is all.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Yea, I agree RL. I would be pretty happy with Morrow and Laporta. I imagine the Streiby pick was more because you wanted him, and it being the last round than anything. Also, wouldn't mind Cole Gillespie for the Reds. They need everything, not just pitchers.

Exactly.

That's the only reason I took him in the third round. I actually thought he was going to be a 2nd round pick until Jim Callis told me otherwise. Had the draft been five or six rounds, then I wouldn't have chose him in the third round and instead would have went with a power arm. I'm holding out hope that the Reds will draft him tomorrow somewhere after round five.

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 04:33 PM
I was just looking over everyone's picks, and objectively, the Yankees had the best draft.

That is all.

Too bad they'll never wear pinstripes.
Aside from that, I think we're looking at the "all bust" class that you've drafted, Puffy.

21. Yankees-Puffy(Ian Kennedy)
41. Yankees-Puffy(Cody Johnson)
104. Yankees-Puffy(Tommy Pham)

Nice job. :beerme:

M2
06-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Oh, and the Red Sox have sex with their fathers.

But in a very manly way.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2006, 04:41 PM
I also propose "re-visiting" these draft "classes" from each poster to see how their selections did at the end of the rookieball season for whichever team ends up drafting them. A little bit like fantasy minor league ball, if you will.

We'll all see which 'Zoner has the best eye for talent when it's all said an done. :thumbup:

rdiersin
06-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I also propose "re-visiting" these draft "classes" from each poster to see how their selections did at the end of the rookieball season for whichever team ends up drafting them. A little bit like fantasy minor league ball, if you will.

We'll all see which 'Zoner has the best eye for talent when it's all said an done. :thumbup:

That would be kind of fun. And then it also gives us something to do when all those prospect lists come up.

Puffy
06-05-2006, 04:53 PM

Lets just say its me and leave it at that.

:thumbup:

Puffy
06-05-2006, 04:55 PM
But in a very manly way.

You bet - I hear the Sox are thinking of pulling a Tampa Bay Devil Rays thing and are asking the league to potentially change their nickname.

The Boston Broke Bat Mountains.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Would you guys be interested in putting together a Redszone poll to vote on who had the best draft? Obviously it will be a while before we can actually determine who had the best draft, but we can still vote on who we think had the best draft on paper?.

Just a thought.

M2
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
You bet - I hear the Sox are thinking of pulling a Tampa Bay Devil Rays thing and are asking the league to potentially change their nickname.

The Boston Broke Bat Mountains.

I think Jilted by Johnny has a better ring to it.

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Would you guys be interested in putting together a Redszone poll to vote on who had the best draft? Obviously it will be a while before we can actually determine who had the best draft, but we can still vote on who we think had the best draft on paper?.

Just a thought.

That might be tough to do since some teams had multiple picks, while others didn't. Some teams had sandwich picks, and some didn't, etc.

I'd be ok with it, but it would be difficult to do based on those things I mentioned.

Gallen5862
That sounds good OBM.

rdiersin

Just a thought.

I think its tough, because some people may not have drafted who they thought were the best players, but rather how the team they were picking for would have drafted. But it still might be fun to talk about.

Red Leader
Lets just say its me and leave it at that.

:thumbup:

Puffy, how do I say this politely.

Your draft class just screams

BRIEN TAYLOR!

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2006, 05:08 PM
That might be tough to do since some teams had multiple picks, while others didn't. Some teams had sandwich picks, and some didn't, etc.

I'd be ok with it, but it would be difficult to do based on those things I mentioned.

Never thought about that.

Scratch that idea. :laugh:

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 05:10 PM

Do they seriously have those "Looks like Jesus, Acts like Judas, Throws like Mary" T-shirts for sale in your area, M2?

I might look into buying one of those.

rdiersin
06-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Puffy, how do I say this politely.

Your draft class just screams

BRIEN TAYLOR!

Chili's or BlockKnockers last choice in the last round had Danny Almonte in it. I thought that was funny.

Puffy
06-05-2006, 05:13 PM

I love you Johnny Cakes.

M2
06-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Do they seriously have those "Looks like Jesus, Acts like Judas, Throws like Mary" T-shirts for sale in your area, M2?

I might look into buying one of those.

I believe they're readily available outside of Fenway on game days.

Though I'm not a Sox fan, I have to admit I admire the lunacy Sox fans bring to the game.

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Though I'm not a Sox fan, I have to admit I admire the lunacy Sox fans bring to the game.

I do as well. I think it makes the games much more enjoyable when you've got fans that are literally willing to punch a woman for wearing a Devil Rays jersey to Fenway. :evil: :laugh:

RFS62
06-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I do as well. I think it makes the games much more enjoyable when you've got fans that are literally willing to punch a woman for wearing a Devil Rays jersey to Fenway. :evil: :laugh:

She had it coming.

M2
06-05-2006, 05:31 PM
She had it coming.

I mean a D-Rays jersey is indefensible at every level.

Red Leader
06-05-2006, 05:32 PM

but the ladies (and Puffy) like those cool blue-green colors...

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2006, 05:32 PM

They just figured that with the beating she takes on a yearly basis from the Rays, she wouldn't notice another bruise.

SandyD
06-05-2006, 05:52 PM
First let me say, I had a blast with this like the rest of you. I mentioned before we started that I was chicken, but I wanted to do it. It's just that I've never looked at the draft as a "GM" before. It's kind of overwhelming, really. I had no real clue what I was doing. But, I learned a lot, and that means something to me.

For next year, I want to start now preparing now. And I think I'd like to stick with the Astros. I'd like this year's participants to have the right to keep their same team for next year. If they want. Or we can "reserve" teams now. It'd be fun to pick your team without knowing it's draft position. Lots of ideas floating in my head right now. Maybe I need them to gel a while.

Astros draft:

Kyle McCulloch, rhp, Texas
I kind of grabbed him because he was the highest college pitcher on the board, AND he was from Texas. If it had just been me, I might have selected Jeffress, rhp, HS, but every source kept saying Astros = college pitching.

Others I considered: Sinkbeil (because I've heard the Astros like him), David Huff, and Matt Antonelli. I wanted to pick from the last two, but changed my mind at the last minute.

Round 2: Stephen King, ss, HS

This was a funny pick. I had sent OBM a list of 9 players before I left. He was on the list as a "watch and see" but I expected him to be gone before.

Funny thing, Cardenas was on my intial list for second round, and Sulentic would have been too, except chili took him before I got down that far.

I had some of the left pitchers on that list too, like Zach Britton, Jeff Locke, and Brandon Belt.

Others on the list were Sean Watson and Max Sapp, who I knew were in Houston last week for workouts.

Round 3 was pretty much a crap shoot. Kind of glad to be able to take an Arizona Wildcat in Brad Mills, lhp, AZ. Others I had on the list must have been taken: Evarts and Goglan.

On the Astros "real" draft, btw, I read that they'd like to get a power bat for a corner position if the right one becomes available in the right round. Whatever that means. :D

Gosh, long post. Sorry. But it's been fun. :D

Topcat
06-05-2006, 05:53 PM
I put my picksx in my sig. so I can remember who I picked :beerme:

KronoRed
06-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Hang em.

KronoRed
06-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Cubs had the best draft in terms of talent to number of picks.

SandyD
06-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Hey, rdiersin, looks like our optimism paid off, or our mock draft would have been messed up.

rdiersin
06-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey, rdiersin, looks like our optimism paid off, or our mock draft would have been messed up.

Actually Sandy, it was messed up. I changed it from Loo last night and then this morning I found out about Loo, so I had to change it back. Luckily, it wasn't a problem in that nobody had picked the bpa.:)

SandyD
06-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Why did you change it? I was at work, and I missed the morning stuff. That's hilarious. Next year, we need a rule about draft and follows that were still playing. But we learn as we go, I guess.

cincinnati chili
06-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Mods - Would it be possible to merge the two draft threads, and then archive the sucker?