PDA

View Full Version : AUDIO: Frank Robinson's last at bat as a Red and Waite Hoyt's last radio broadcast

savafan
06-06-2006, 12:24 PM
October 3, 1965 at Candlestick Park.

RollyInRaleigh
06-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Good thing there was no Redszone at that time. Waite Hoyt would have never been in good favor with all that "dead air.";)

smith288
06-06-2006, 01:20 PM
He was in full Marty mode with resignation of a crappy season (4th, Hoyt is sorry to say).

Just with that little bit to go on, Hoyt would have driven me nuts repeating the count over and over between each pitch like this:

"Here comes the pitch, a ball. One ball and one strike, one and oh. < dead air >.............................. Here come the next pitch, strike on the outside corner. One ball and one strike, one and one...................Third pitch of the at bat and the batter takes it low, two balls and 1 strike, two and one...."

Man that would grate on me.

redsupport
06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
who is the color announcer?

redsupport
06-06-2006, 01:36 PM
deron johnson grounded to tito fuentes, what a play!

westofyou
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
who is the color announcer?
Either Gordie Coleman or Ed Kennedy I think.

westofyou
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
deron johnson grounded to tito fuentes, what a play!
Deron Johnson 1965 RBI monster

smith288
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
The color guy was uniquely black and white during that clip (but mostly null).

MartyFan
06-06-2006, 02:17 PM
He was in full Marty mode with resignation of a crappy season (4th, Hoyt is sorry to say).

Just with that little bit to go on, Hoyt would have driven me nuts repeating the count over and over between each pitch like this:

"Here comes the pitch, a ball. One ball and one strike, one and oh. < dead air >.............................. Here come the next pitch, strike on the outside corner. One ball and one strike, one and one...................Third pitch of the at bat and the batter takes it low, two balls and 1 strike, two and one...."

Man that would grate on me.

The thing to remember about the announcers is that they were talking to a much less "knowledgable" listener at that time...not that they knew lessa bout the game but that they didn't have the instant access to all the media blitz of the net/cable/etc that we have now...many times a really avid fan would not know if their team won or lost until they saw the box scores the next morning....the entire culture of our country was much slower paced...today, we have so much information fed to us that it is similar to drinking water from a fire hose....just saying.

Also, I don't think there was nything overly critical about what he said, he was sorry the Reds finished fourth and he was probably just as excited for the season to end as Frank Robinson was.

Roy Tucker
06-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Funny, but I remember listening to this game.

My folks had an old Magnavox TV with a phonograph/radio in the base. The TV went on the blink, so my dad put the radio in the basement. I was building models in the basement and had this game on.

I distinctly remember Hoyt saying "blah blah blah ... that is the end of the season and the Reds finish 4th" and then "and that is also the end of my radio career". Which surprised me because I didn't follow things as closely then and didn't know he was retiring.

They were rather spare in the word usage in those days.

westofyou
06-06-2006, 02:39 PM
My folks had an old Magnavox TV with a phonograph/radio in the base. The TV went on the blink, so my dad put the radio in the basement. I was building models in the basement and had this game on.

For you kids out there who have no idea what Roy is talking about.
http://www.bambootrading.com/NG/nge27.jpg

BuckWoody
06-06-2006, 02:49 PM
My folks had one of those when I was growing up. It looked more like the one in the lower right corner of the ad...and had a maple finish. I never got to listen to Waite Hoyte on it though. :(

CySeymour
06-06-2006, 03:13 PM
I always remember hearing stories about the stories he would tell during rain delays...had to be better than the Banana Phone

redsmetz
06-06-2006, 03:30 PM
October 3, 1965 - I got married 16 years later. Of course, I was ten years old then and doubt I thought about that on that day. You know, sit down to dinner and tell your mother you're going to get married on that day 16 years later and please pass the potatoes....

Spitball
06-06-2006, 04:02 PM

Gordy Coleman was in the dugout and still an active player with the Reds platooning at first with Perez.

Wasn't it Claude Sullivan? I think Ed Kennedy and Frank McCormick did TV.

westofyou
06-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Gordy Coleman was in the dugout and still an active player with the Reds platooning at first with Perez.

Wasn't it Claude Sullivan? I think Ed Kennedy and Frank McCormick did TV.
Cha.. I meant to write Frank McCormick... who was doing TV with Ed Kennedy, and yes it was Claude.

Roy Tucker
06-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Cha.. I meant to write Frank McCormick... who was doing TV with Ed Kennedy, and yes it was Claude.
Yep.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/pressbox/downloads/y2006/cin/media.pdf

See page 10-11.

KronoRed
06-06-2006, 04:24 PM
This is cool Sava..thanks :)

Spitball
06-06-2006, 04:34 PM
BTW, thanks for the memory blast, Sava.

Growing up in Massachusetts, my friends and I would play some sort of baseball game every day of the summer. Usually it was whiffle ball, with a pitch-back as a backstop/strike zone. We'd fight over who'd be the Red Sox so we had to be another team, a National League team. Bob was always the Braves, Ted the Giants, Jack the Dodgers, and I was the Reds. We'd have to go through the order batting, for example, lefty for Pinson, righty for Robinson, lefty for Coleman, righty for Johnson, lefty for Edwards, righty for Cardenas, either for Rose, etc. It was great fun that lasted virtually all day everyday, and I got to really love the Reds as my adopted other team.

In late July of 1965, my family moved to Cincinnati. Before school started, I didn't know a soul, so I was really lonely. I couldn't wait until the game would start and I could listen to Waite Hoyt and Claude Sullivan. At first, I really didn't like them as much as Curt Gowdy, Ned Martin, Mel Parnell, or Ken Coleman, but I eventually warmed to their styles. In fact, I remember listening to that last game. If the Reds had won, they would have tied Pittsburgh (who'd already won) for third place. I remember wishing the Giants would consider they'd already locked up second place and they should just let the Reds win.

savafan
06-07-2006, 01:38 PM
I always remember hearing stories about the stories he would tell during rain delays...had to be better than the Banana Phone

Here's a snippet.

redsupport
06-08-2006, 10:33 AM
how do you get those audios, they are great

savafan
06-08-2006, 10:54 AM
how do you get those audios, they are great

I searched for them on Limewire. I've gotten quite a few now.