PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

traderumor
06-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Everyone is pissing and moaning and it may well be justified but give us some reasoning instead of monosyllabic grunting. :)I went on record having no problems with Stubbs, but then I did not have my little heart set on a college pitcher. I thought they might take Lincecum, but I'm guessing they had visions of injuries dancing in their heads, as did others apparently, from the sounds of some possible overuse in college.

Doc. Scott
I'd push Szymanski to Sarasota and start Stubbs at Dayton.

Red Leader
Nats take Colten Willems at #22.

NewEraReds
Its okay guys.

From Stubbs Bio http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=18&change_well_id=17&member_id=16

Batted .362 and .363, respectively, with runners on base and in scoring position.

Obviously this was the impetus behind drafting him.lets see what he does with a wood bat. he may be great, but like i said, it still wasnt better than taking 1 of the pitchers available, even if he does hit well with the wood bat, IMO

cincyinco
Ian Kennedy to the Yanks.

Colton Williams to the Nats

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Astros take Max Sapp at #23.

Caveat Emperor
Wow Bruce and Stubbs in Dayton. Our pitchers got to love that because they will catch everything.

With the Reds pitching, the only way they catch everything is if they also have the ability to scale walls and climb into the outfield seats.

edabbs44
That doesn;t tell me anything about the guy we did take or who we should have taken instead. :)
IMO, if a guy's biggest question mark is hitting then it would be tough to justify a top 10 pick. Especially when you lack pitching and a lot of the top rated pitchers on the board are available. The lineup is set for the most part with youth. And Stubbs being from college tells me that they either expect one of Dunn, AK or Bruce not to be patrolling the OF in a few years. Whether it be Dunn to 1B or one of them to another team.

NewEraReds
I cant believe the thought process on this board... you take the best available player... you dont address big league current needs throught the amatuer draft. Obviously Stubbs was a higher rated prospect on the reds draft board than any available college pitcher. Reaching for needs is how you butcher the draft. This is this administrations first draft, give them the benefit of the draft.
HE WASNT BPA. THATS THE PROBLEM, at least for me

pedro
Thanks Josh.

cincyinco
Astros take a catcher...

Max Sapp

heh

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I like Sapp a lot. If he stays behind the plate, he's a future Mike Piazza

Danny Serafini
So basically everyone's mad because they didn't take a pitcher. I have to ask, does it really make sense to draft according to today's need when the player picked isn't going to see the Major Leagues for a few years? What might be a strength today could be a weakness in 2009, or vice versa. For all we know the Reds could have a solid staff and a rotten outfield then. The point is, you have to take the best player available because you don't know what you're future needs will be. If you've overloaded one spot then you've got some trading chips to fill in another. If this guy isn't good enough to be picked in this spot (I know nothing about college and high school ball so I don't know) that's one thing. But to complain about the position just doesn't make sense to me.

Red Leader
Braves take John Johnson, a HS player. Not sure I know him.

Crawford Mosely HS in FLA.

NewEraReds
IMO, if a guy's biggest question mark is hitting then it would be tough to justify a top 10 pick. Especially when you lack pitching and a lot of the top rated pitchers on the board are available. The lineup is set for the most part with youth. And Stubbs being from college tells me that they either expect one of Dunn, AK or Bruce not to be patrolling the OF in a few years. Whether it be Dunn to 1B or one of them to another team.
dunn traded for pitching. stubbs takes up his k's :) and we get pitching ;)

M2
I should note that I don't hate Stubbs, though I consider him an over-reach and I wish the club had gone for one of the primo arms left on the board.

On the bright side, it could be worse. Look at that dog of pick the Cubs made at #13.

dougdirt
I cant believe the thought process on this board... you take the best available player... you dont address big league current needs throught the amatuer draft. Obviously Stubbs was a higher rated prospect on the reds draft board than any available college pitcher. Reaching for needs is how you butcher the draft. This is this administrations first draft, give them the benefit of the draft.
There is no way that Drew Stubbs was the BPA. That would probably have been Kyle Drabek. Drabek has the best stuff of any pitcher in the draft. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Reds need pitching, it has to do with the fact that Stubbs has serious concerns about his bat, and I cant comprehend taking a top 10 pick and using it on a guy who you question will ever hit in the majors.

edabbs44
I'd push Szymanski to Sarasota and start Stubbs at Dayton.
Other way around. Stubbs probably played better competition than Dayton this year already and Szymanski can't hit in Low A.

NewEraReds
06-06-2006, 01:27 PM
So basically everyone's mad because they didn't take a pitcher. I have to ask, does it really make sense to draft according to today's need when the player picked isn't going to see the Major Leagues for a few years? What might be a strength today could be a weakness in 2009, or vice versa. For all we know the Reds could have a solid staff and a rotten outfield then. The point is, you have to take the best player available because you don't know what you're future needs will be. If you've overloaded one spot then you've got some trading chips to fill in another. If this guy isn't good enough to be picked in this spot (I know nothing about college and high school ball so I don't know) that's one thing. But to complain about the position just doesn't make sense to me.
thats not why i wanted a pitcher. i wanted a pitcher cause pitchers, IMO, were BPA's on board

traderumor
Stubbs was considered a borderline first-round talent coming out of high school in 2003. He would have signed with the Astros for $900,000 as a third-rounder if Major League Baseball hadn't persuaded Houston owner Drayton McLane not to exceed its bonus recommendation. Had he turned pro then, scouts wouldn't have to fret over his bat now. The best athlete in college baseball, Stubbs is a potential Gold Glove center fielder with plus raw power, plus-plus speed and an average arm. Though he has improved his approach and is using the whole field more as a junior, scouts believe his bat is far from a sure thing. He has struck out roughly once a game throughout his Longhorns career, and his contact rate hasn't improved this spring. He also hit a soft .304 with wood bats while on Team USA last summer. He still ranks second behind only Evan Longoria among position prospects in 2006. In last year's draft, which was much deeper in hitters, Stubbs would have lasted until the late first round. But with a scarcity of position players this year, he could go as high as No. 6 overall to the Tigers and probably won't get past the top 10 picks.

His main wart seems to be whiffing. Not real sure that warrants all the reaction.

Caveat Emperor

Stubbs has way too many flaws in his game to be a Top-10 pick, especially considering most scouts were disappointed with his power in college using an aluminum bat.

I dispise taking college hitters in the first round of the draft, so maybe I'm just personally biased here.

johngalt

A college hitter who averaged a K per game for his career and who has all kinds of question marks about his ability to hit with wood is not the best available player when there's college pitchers available who regularly pitch in the mid to upper 90s with success.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2006, 01:28 PM
I should note that I don't hate Stubbs, though I consider him an over-reach and I wish the club had gone for one of the primo arms left on the board.

On the bright side, it could be worse. Look at that dog of pick the Cubs made at #13.

This is how I feel.

I have nothing against Stubbs, I just had my hopes up of getting a top notch college arm.

edabbs44
Braves must be hurting for money. MLB doesn't even have a scouting report.

NewEraReds
Other way around. Stubbs probably played better competition than Dayton this year already and Szymanski can't hit in Low A.
what makes stubbs ready for that level. he and szymanski did about the same in college and had the same flaws IMO.

thats where i think he starts, im just sayin :)

GoReds
At least the inevitable strikeouts debates won't only include Dunn.

Red Leader
Angels take Hank Conger.

jmcclain19
Braves with the first big reach of the draft. Taking a guy rated 82nd overall with the 22nd pick.

But he is a high schooler from the southeast. Fits the profile.

Aronchis
This pick tells me Griffey doesn't have much time left in CF nor Dunn in LF.

Kriv wants better D, much better D, Buckley took Gabe Gross in Toronto, so that should tell you something. After Miller,Morrow,Lincoln and Hoch were gone, it was academic.

M2
06-06-2006, 01:29 PM

Fine, except nowhere on the planet was Stubbs rated as the best player on the board when the Reds picked him.

edabbs44
This is how I feel.

I have nothing against Stubbs, I just had my hopes up of getting a top notch college arm.
I would have loved to see a future of Bailey, Wood, Scherzer and Walden (2nd round hopeful).

corkedbat
Stubbs and Bruce could be the future of the Reds outfield. I don't love the pick but I am willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, you give the kid a break, but if he's languishing in High A or AA ball hitting .230/15 HRs/45 RBIs there will be plenty of reasons to blame management - the warning signs were there.

Hopefully they believe he will hit and hopefully they're right.

Red Leader
Dogers take Avery Morris, RHP, likely a draft and follow at # 26

Caveat Emperor
This pick tells me Griffey doesn't have much time left in CF nor Dunn in LF.

Why? Stubbs won't be ML ready until Griffey's close to out the door anyway.

Red Leader
Red Sox take Jason Place at #27.

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 01:30 PM

Challenge thy hitters

edabbs44
what makes stubbs ready for that level. he and szymanski did about the same in college and had the same flaws IMO.

thats where i think he starts, im just sayin :)
I bet texas had a tougher schedule than Princeton. :)

cincyinco

LOL..

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1009278&postcount=217

Red Leader
Red Sox take Daniel Bard at #28.

Two nice players for the Sox.

M2
His main wart seems to be whiffing. Not real sure that warrants all the reaction.

Supposedly he also gets a wood bat knocked out of his hands too.

OnBaseMachine
Red Sox draft Jason Place and Daniel Bard. Great picks.

pedro
06-06-2006, 01:31 PM
RL, I think you need to start a thread to discuss the Reds draft picks.

edabbs44
Boston Bard...Jesus.

M2
Red Sox take Daniel Bard at #28.

Two nice players for the Sox.

Can't believe the Sox landed Bard at #28.

jmcclain19
Red Sox smart pick taking Bard - could be one of those "What were we all thinking" picks in a couple of years.

reds44
06-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I don't mind the Stubbs pick that much. I would have liked the pitcher, but Stubbs isn't a TERRIBLE pick.

Red Leader
White Sox take McCulloch.

Cards take Ottavino.

Aronchis
Bard's overrated. He most likely has already peeked physically and has nowhere to go but down. His stuff isn't overly good either. May may a decent pen guy.

johngalt
06-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Red Sox smart pick taking Bard - could be one of those "What were we all thinking" picks in a couple of years.

Will be one of those picks. Bard reminds me of Verlander.

dabvu2498
Sox have to be pinching themselves to get Bard that low.

Puffy
Yankees take Ian Kennedy at #21.

Ahem - just like I predicted in the mock draft.

Thank you, thank you!

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
so do we have some early guesses about the 2nd round pick?

I'd love to see them take Huff, if he is still available

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
RL, I think you need to start a thread to discuss the Reds draft picks.

Done.

Caveat Emperor
06-06-2006, 01:35 PM

Maybe another young, speedy outfielder so they can have all-pro talent standing around watching baseballs fly out of the stadium. :angry:

Red Leader
Maybe another young, speedy outfielder so they can have all-pro talent standing around watching baseballs fly out of the stadium. :angry:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OnBaseMachine

For some reason I think it will be Jordan Walden.

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Looks like a small break before the supplemental round starts.

Here are some top talents still undrafted

Pedro Beato
Brett Anderson
David Huff
Joba Chamberlain
Justin Masterson
Jordan Walden
Kevin Mulvey
Brooks Brown
Matt LaPorta

WVRed
06-06-2006, 01:37 PM
I know its not a pitcher, but id like to see LaPorta in the second.

Just sayin'.

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Green with Envy over Detroits rotation:

Bonderman, Verlander, Zumaya, and now Miller.

Thats just ILL!#%$#@

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 01:40 PM
*catches breath*

Thank the Lord. A break in the action.

dougdirt
are the dodgers not going to pick?

jmcclain19
For some reason I think it will be Jordan Walden.

For some reason, I'm betting Brett Anderson. I remember reading his scouting report over the winter and he for some reason screamed "future Reds TJ candidate" to me.

Aronchis
Green with Envy over Detroits rotation:

Bonderman, Verlander, Zumaya, and now Miller.

Thats just ILL!#%$#@

Only if Miller signs, wouldn't be surprised he doesn't.

jmcclain19
are the dodgers not going to pick?

There is usually a 15 minute break between the rounds

REDREAD
06-06-2006, 01:41 PM

I couldn't agree more. Look at how Howington, Gruler, etc have turned out.
Grabbing pitching and hoping you have enough sheer numbers has failed in the past.
The draft is such a long term planning thing, it's smart to always draft the best guy.
Imagine how screwed we would've been if we drafted pitching (that didn't pan out) instead of Kearns/Dunn that one year.

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
gotcha...didnt know that. I think the Reds team is being laughed at by the rest of MLB right now....

Mario-Rijo
06-06-2006, 01:42 PM
I like Beato, Walden, Andersen, Laporta & of course I still love Chamberlain (assuming Buckley & Co. think he's ok physically) in fact Chamberlain is my pick if he checks out!

LoganBuck
Can you imagine if the NFL draft went at a pace like this? Chris Berman would die.

NewEraReds
I couldn't agree more. Look at how Howington, Gruler, etc have turned out.
Grabbing pitching and hoping you have enough sheer numbers has failed in the past.
The draft is such a long term planning thing, it's smart to always draft the best guy.
Imagine how screwed we would've been if we drafted pitching (that didn't pan out) instead of Kearns/Dunn that one year.
THOSE GUYS WERENT BPA EITHER

reds44
06-06-2006, 01:43 PM
gotcha...didnt know that. I think the Reds team is being laughed at by the rest of MLB right now....
No they aren't.

NewEraReds
I like Beato, Walden, Andersen, Laporta & of course I still love Chamberlain (assuming Buckley & Co. think he's ok physically) in fact Chamberlain is my pick if he checks out!yea, we already took an of which is our top pos spot, so why not take a pitcher who gets injured a lot, that will fit right in ;) ;)

cincyinco
Only if Miller signs, wouldn't be surprised he doesn't.

Wouldn't be surprised if he does.. Dave Dombrowski and Company know what they're doing.

if they'll overpay for Pudge.. they'll get Miller done IMO.

cumberlandreds
06-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Can you imagine if the NFL draft went at a pace like this? Chris Berman would die.

I would actually watch it if it was this quick. This is how a draft should be done. MLB does one thing right anyway.

cincyinco

All we got was a chuckle

Its the Cubs who are being laughed at..

Travis COLVIN?!? SERIOUSLY?

Redsfaithful
I think the Reds team is being laughed at by the rest of MLB right now....

I seriously doubt the Reds are being laughed at for taking the second best college hitter available.

If anyone's being laughed at it's the Cubs.

traderumor
06-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Supposedly he also gets a wood bat knocked out of his hands too.based on his experience with TeamUSA, which I assume was some form of All-Star team that played a limited schedule?

Red Leader
...and the Braves.

CTA513

Teams are probably thinking that since the Reds drafted another outfielder that one of the current major league outfielders on the Reds must be available.

:evil:

NJReds
I seriously doubt the Reds are being laughed at for taking the second best college hitter available.

I think there was a similar reaction last year to the 2nd round selection of Travis Wood.

BoydsOfSummer
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Jonathan Mayo has better hair than Mel Kiper.

LoganBuck
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Who are the top prep arms who will still be available? I am guessing we see a HS arm come off the board, ala Travis Wood.

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Doc Scott, any luck on that link?

Red Leader
Who are the top prep arms who will still be available. I am guessing we see a HS arm come off the board, ala Travis Wood.

I'd like the Reds to draft Brandon Belt either in the 2nd or 3rd round. I like him a lot.

traderumor

If anyone's being laughed at it's the Cubs.Additionally, I could care less what other major league teams think of our picks. We are competing with them, and if peer pressure is driving draft picks, then we have the wrong people running the draft.

The hyperbole associated with draft picks is an annual treat.

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Emmanuel Burriss is still on the board. My homie from Kent St. Hope he goes to a team that can use him, like the Tribe.

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Additionally, I could care less what other major league teams think of our picks. We are competing with them, and if peer pressure is driving draft picks, then we have the wrong people running the draft.

If you read last year's thread, there was universal mocking of the Wood pick in the 2nd, yet he's been the best pick of the '05 draft to date.

Redsfaithful
06-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Additionally, I could care less what other major league teams think of our picks. We are competing with them, and if peer pressure is driving draft picks, then we have the wrong people running the draft.

/agree on all counts

edabbs44
Hoping for Jordan Walden in the 2nd.

jmcclain19
Emmanuel Burriss is still on the board. My homie from Kent St. Hope he goes to a team that can use him, like the Tribe.

He's....fast

edabbs44

2nd best hitter or position player?

Red Leader
Hoping for Jordan Walden in the 2nd.

I'd be happy with that.

NewEraReds
06-06-2006, 01:50 PM
If you read last year's thread, there was universal mocking of the Wood pick in the 2nd, yet he's been the best pick of the '05 draft to date.
you think hes better than bruce? ive seen them both quite a bit and i like bruce a lot more

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
He's....fast

That he is. I happen to think his bat will come around and he'll be a serviceable 2B and lead off hitter. Kind of a Marlins (of the past) player, Luis Castillo, etc.

cincyinco
when are we starting back up again? i'm impatient.

flyer85
anyone have a link(non-audio/video) to best follow the action.

NewEraReds
06-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Projected Sandwich Round Picks
1:50 p.m.: 31. LAD--Sean Watson, rhp, Tennessee
32. Bal--Emmanuel Burriss, ss, Kent State
33. SF--Chris Tillman, rhp, HS/California
34. Ari--David Huff, lhp, UCLA
35. SD--Kyle Burke, of/lhp, HS/Tennessee
36. Fla--Brett Anderson, lhp, HS/Oklahoma
37. Phi--Jared Mitchell, of, HS/Louisiana
38. Atl--Alex White, rhp, HS/North Carolina
39. Cle--Kevin Mulvey, rhp, Villanova
40. Bos--Kris Johnson, lhp, Wichita State
41. NYY--Pedro Beato, rhp, St. Petersburg (Fla.) JC
42. StL--Chris Perez, rhp, Miami
43. Atl--Derrick Robinson, of, HS/Florida
44. Bos--Matt Long, rhp, Miami (Ohio)

CTA513
06-06-2006, 01:52 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/draft/y2006/draftcaster.jsp

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 01:53 PM

^^^

Even better.

NewEraReds
click on draft caster

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp

Red Leader

I'm using a link off of the MLB.com site.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/draft/y2006/index.jsp

I clicked on 2006 Draft Tracker on the left and it popped up a new box. Seems to be flying with the pics, but Doc Scott said it didn't give him a pop up. If you have a pop up blocker, turn it off and then try it again. Not sure how else to get you the pop up tracker I have, but it seems to be going fast.

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 01:54 PM
First Round Surprise
1:24 p.m.: In the biggest shock of the first half of the first round, the Cubs took a chance on the pro body of Tyler Colvin, the Clemson outfielder Baseball America ranked 170 on the Top 200 prospects. Colvin's stock had surged as Clemson won 21 of its last 22 games and stormed into super-regionals. Colvin, physical at 6-foot-3, 190 pounds, had been rumored to go as high as 29 to the White Sox, but instead the crosstown Cubs took him. Colvin was having a career year and finally showing power as a junior. He hit below .290 his first two seasons, then hit .359-12-65 with a .622 slugging percentage in 2006. He also was 23-for-27 on stolen bases this season.
-- John Manuel

NewEraReds
06-06-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm using a link off of the MLB.com site.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/draft/y2006/index.jsp

I clicked on 2006 Draft Tracker on the left and it popped up a new box. Seems to be flying with the pics, but Doc Scott said it didn't give him a pop up. If you have a pop up blocker, turn it off and then try it again. Not sure how else to get you the pop up tracker I have, but it seems to be going fast.
same for me, i just clicked on turn off pop up blocker temporarily from this site

rdiersin
I'm hoping Lars Anderson drops to the second. That would be nice. Matt Laporta or Kris Johnson would be nice as well.

jmcclain19
Tommy LaSorda takes Preston Mattingly, Don Mattingly's son

M2
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Hard to say who I'd like with the Reds' #2 pick, there's a ton of picks between then and now. Pedro Beato would be my nominal selection, but I doubt he'll last that long.

Red Leader
I'm hoping Lars Anderson drops to the second. That would be nice. Matt Laporta or Kris Johnson would be nice as well.

I like all 3 of those guys as well.

NewEraReds
31 - preston mattingly - hs ss

jmcclain19
Wow - don't even see him on the Top 200 list

jmcclain19
O's take Pedro Beato

Reds Fanatic
06-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Dodgers take Preston Mattingly

NewEraReds
pedro beato to bal

jmcclain19
RL's boy Burriss is now a Giant

flyer85
Stubbs could be the next Mike Cameron...or the next B.J. Szymanski. I wonder if the Reds will accept him for what he likely is instead of trying to make him into what he is not.

NewEraReds
06-06-2006, 01:58 PM
burris at 33

Red Leader
Giants take Emmanuel Burriss.

Oh, well. He'll be good for them.

REDSEER
WOW.....I can't believe Mattingly already got taken.....I played against him this year, and he is not first round talent.........

jmcclain19
Brown goes to the Dbacks

Red Leader
Ray Durham's done anyway. :laugh: :laugh:

NewEraReds
brooks brown to diamondbacks

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Brooks Brown, that is.

jmcclain19
Kyler Burke - RF to the Pads

jmcclain19
Ray Durham's done anyway. :laugh: :laugh:

heh - you could have said that several years ago

NewEraReds
kyle burk, rf, hs - sd

Red Leader
Pads take Kyler Burke.

Nice pick, again.

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 02:00 PM
At least since we've gone back to the conference call setup now, the MLB Tracker isn't about 4 picks ahead of the audio feed.

Red Leader
heh - you could have said that several years ago

True dat. Burriss is the opening day 2B in 2008, if not sooner. Bank on it.

flyer85
I really like what the Dbacks have done to this point

Reds Fanatic
Coghlan 3b to the Marlins

OnBaseMachine
Lars Anderson, Jordan Walden, and Matt LaPorta all still available.

dabvu2498
I like the Coghlan pick by the Marlins (3b-Ole Miss)

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Phils take Cardenas - a bit of a reach

NewEraReds
Looking For A Home
1:56 p.m.: Projected BA first-rounders from our morning mock first round not taken yet:
Stephen King, ss, HS/Orlando
Brett Anderson, lhp, HS/Oklahoma
Joba Chamberlain, rhp, Nebraska
David Huff, lhp, UCLA
Sean Black, rhp, HS/New Jersey
Brooks Brown, rhp, Georgia
Chris Perez, rhp, Miami

Red Leader
Adrian Cardenas goes to the Phils, and I still can't get that picture of him from our mock draft out of my head. :lol:

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Rasmus to the Braves....I took him in the 3rd round in our mock draft....

Reds Fanatic
Braves take Cory Rasmus

jmcclain19
Braves select X from X high school in the southeast

osuceltic
Fine, except nowhere on the planet was Stubbs rated as the best player on the board when the Reds picked him.
The only place on the planet that matters is in the front office of the Cincinnati Reds.

flyer85
Maybe the Reds will draft another OF

jmcclain19
dang - Huff taken by the Indians.

He's a future Zito type.

Red Leader
Tribe takes David Huff at #39.

Nice pick there.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Huff to the Indians.

NewEraReds
crap, huff to clev

Red Leader

I will use this for the next round. :laugh:

Reds Fanatic
Kristofer Johnson goes to the Red Sox

OnBaseMachine
Reds 12 picks away and LaPorta, Lars Anderson, and Walden still on board.

jmcclain19
Joba is a Yank

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Sox take Kris Johnson.

Dang, the Sox draft is looking NIIIICE.

Reds Fanatic
06-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Cards get Christopher Perez

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Cards too my Rockies 2nd round pick - Chris Perez

Caveat Emperor
Incidentally -- I understand how the draft works, but it's ridiculous for a team as successful as the Red Sox to have so many picks in the first couple rounds.

Just sayin'

NewEraReds
joba to yanks

Freddie_Free
Joba to the Yanks

M2
The only place on the planet that matters is in the front office of the Cincinnati Reds.

Until they attempt to compete against 29 other teams. I'm sure we'll hear Stubbs was the highest-rated guy left on the Reds' board, but given the best available information from other sources that was not the general consensus.

dabvu2498
06-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I will use this for the next round. :laugh:
Use it for the next 40 rounds.

Reds Fanatic
Braves get another HS pitcher in Steven Evarts

NewEraReds
caleb clay to boston

jmcclain19
for the 3rd time

puca
All aspects of free agency favors the large market teams...no doubt

Reds Fanatic
06-06-2006, 02:07 PM
J. Taylor SS goes to KC

NewEraReds
jason taylor, hs ss to kc

jmcclain19
Wow - Royals with another signability pick.
Jason Taylor - SS

Reds Fanatic
D. Christiansen OF goes to the Rockies.

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Another reach for a HS OF for the Rockies

Jason Christensen

flyer85
Incidentally -- I understand how the draft works, but it's ridiculous for a team as successful as the Red Sox to have so many picks in the first couple rounds.

Just sayin'The small market teams generally don't hang on to guys and let them walk to garner the picks. BoSox have already had 4 picks to the Reds 1, it is ridiculous. The process is broken.

Doc. Scott
This is going to sound retarded, but I got the Draft Tracker to pop up by turning my Pop-Up Blocker on.

NC Reds
college starter please

Reds Fanatic
J. Butler to TB

jmcclain19
Butler to Tampa Bay. He started off 06 in a blaze of glory - but faded at the end. Good pick.

Reds Fanatic
06-06-2006, 02:09 PM
4 more picks and then the Reds pick

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 02:10 PM
The small market teams generally don't hang on to guys and let them walk to garner the picks. BoSox have already had 4 picks to the Reds 1, it is ridiculous. The process is broken.
The question is, should they start? It is something I think small market teams dont look at enough.

OnBaseMachine
Justin Masterson would be a solid pick at 52.

Lars Anderson, LaPorta, and Walden also still available.

Doc. Scott
TB takes Josh Butler, RHP, U. of San Diego with pick #47 (round 2).

Red Leader
This is going to sound retarded, but I got the Draft Tracker to pop up by turning my Pop-Up Blocker on.

That's totally retarded.

But, I'm glad you got it to work.

Javy Pornstache
Unless I overlooked him, I think HS lefty Brett Anderson, a Tommy John candidate if I've seen one, is still available. I am hoping the Reds haven't noticed.

NewEraReds
06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
michael felix, lhp to pit

Doc. Scott
48. Pittsburgh: LHP Michael Felix, Troy University. Hmmm.

Caveat Emperor
The question is, should they start? It is something I think small market teams dont look at enough.

Part of the "Luxury Tax" should include forfeiture of draft picks as well as cash payments.

Or something along those lines.

osuceltic
Until they attempt to compete against 29 other teams. I'm sure we'll hear Stubbs was the highest-rated guy left on the Reds' board, but given the best available information from other sources that was not the general consensus.
And the general consensus doesn't mean a damn thing. I'm sure every team had a lot of the same names in different orders. Some like a certain guy more than others. The Reds like Stubbs. Great. He may pan out, he may not. Same as every name called today. We don't know. But one thing I do know is I want a front office thinking for itself, not reading off a list from Baseball America.

Look, in my mind Wayne Krivsky has earned some slack. He has a pretty darn good track record in Minnesota -- and let's face it, that's a tools organization; we all know that -- and he has done a hell of a job so far in Cincy. Call me crazy, but I'm not going to be arrogant enough to bash the guy over his first draft pick.

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Justin Masterson would be a solid pick at 52.

Lars Anderson, LaPorta, and Walden also still available.

He's from nearby Beavercreek, OH, home of our beloved creek14.

I'm sure his parents would like that.

Doc. Scott
49. Seattle- Chris Tillman, RHP, Fountain Valley HS (CA)

dougdirt
I agree with that idea CE....maybe we should contact Bud?

Doc. Scott
50. Detroit- Ronald Bourquin, 3B, Ohio State

Had no idea OSU had anyone of note on the board. He's also a catcher.

Red Leader
Ron Bourquin from OSU goes #50 to DET. 3Bman.

reds44
06-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Reds on the clock

dabvu2498
50. Detroit- Ronald Bourquin, 3B, Ohio State

Had no idea OSU had anyone on the board. He's also a catcher.
Is that high than most people thought he would go???

Red Leader
Jeff Locke goes to the Braves. I drafted him in our mock draft. I like him, too.

Reds Fanatic
Braves love the HS pitchers. Now J. Locke to the Braves.

M2
Unless I overlooked him, I think HS lefty Brett Anderson, a Tommy John candidate if I've seen one, is still available. I am hoping the Reds haven't noticed.

Me too. I worry about his reported lack of athleticism. Unathletic southpaws scare the pants off me.

Bummer, I would have liked the Reds to snag Locke.

Doc. Scott
51. Atlanta- Jeff Locke, LHP, New Hampshire (!) HS

Javy Pornstache
Watson from Tennessee!

NewEraReds
sean watson, rhp from ten

reds44
Sean Watson!

jmcclain19
Sean Watson - RHP - Tennessee - Reds

CTA513
Reds select Sean Watson RHP.

Tornon
We get Sean Watson

OnBaseMachine
Reds take Sean Watson.

flyer85
Sean Watson

Red Leader
Reds take Sean Watson, RHP, Tennessee.

Reds Fanatic
Reds 2nd round pick

S. Watson pitcher from Tennessee

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Sean Watson!?

Doc. Scott
52. Cincinnati- Sean Watson, RHP, U. of Tennessee.

RedLegsToday
yes, but J. Locke is from New Hampshire. That's not the southeast!

jmcclain19
Tennessee has developed a pipeline from South Florida, and Watson came to Knoxville after a celebrated prep career in Miami that included a stint on USA Baseball's youth national team. He was a 21st-round pick by the Giants in 2003, and blossomed into a hard-throwing reliever with an aggressive approach, after splitting time between the pen and Tennessee's rotation. Watson has two above-average pitches in his fastball and knuckle-curveball and can dial his fastball up to 94 mph, pitching at 90-92. His knuckle-curveball is a hard, tumbling pitch at 82-85 mph. Like his fastball, his secondary stuff is inconsistent, due in part to a lack of focus on the mound and inconsistent mechanics. Watson's arm works well, but he falls off the mound and spins out of his delivery, which leads to an inconsistent release point and erratic command. He's not timid, but his concentration seems to drift from outing to outing. He has some feel for a slider and changeup, and can be a successful reliever if he learns to command his two top pitches.

Doc. Scott
I don't really like the college closer in round two unless he's that good.

jmcclain19
He's the Vols closer. College Reliever in the 2nd

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 02:15 PM
53. SD- Chad Huffman, 2B, TCU.

54. St. Louis- Thomas Furnish, LHP, TCU.

Caveat Emperor
I don't know if anyone reported this, but I saw we got Sean Watson :devil:

Reds Fanatic
What MLB.Com says about Watson.

A college closer with four usable pitches. He hasn't been consistent in his Junior year but when on is effective with his fastball and a nasty knuckle-curve.

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Sean Watson: Ryan Wagner, part deux?

Javy Pornstache
M2, there's Anderson going to the D-backs. Didn't fall too far from the Reds, but the fact he did is great.

NewEraReds
Tennessee has developed a pipeline from South Florida, and Watson came to Knoxville after a celebrated prep career in Miami that included a stint on USA Baseball's youth national team. He was a 21st-round pick by the Giants in 2003, and blossomed into a hard-throwing reliever with an aggressive approach, after splitting time between the pen and Tennessee's rotation. Watson has two above-average pitches in his fastball and knuckle-curveball and can dial his fastball up to 94 mph, pitching at 90-92. His knuckle-curveball is a hard, tumbling pitch at 82-85 mph. Like his fastball, his secondary stuff is inconsistent, due in part to a lack of focus on the mound and inconsistent mechanics. Watson's arm works well, but he falls off the mound and spins out of his delivery, which leads to an inconsistent release point and erratic command. He's not timid, but his concentration seems to drift from outing to outing. He has some feel for a slider and changeup, and can be a successful reliever if he learns to command his two top pitches.
closer that pitches 90-92 and has inconsistent delivery, are you serious

jmcclain19
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/tenn/galleries/04-baseball-siena-31304/DSC_4589-lg.jpg

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Sean Watson..

You think Buckley will pull a "david bush" and convert him?

MLB comment says that he has 4 usable pitches w/good fastball and nasty knuckle curve.

Doc. Scott
55. Arizona- Brett Anderson, LHP, Oklahoma HS

56. Cleveland- Steven Wright, RHP, U. of Hawai'i

Red Leader
Indians take Steven Wright from Hawaii. I really like that kid. More than Watson.

reds44
closer that pitches 90-92 and has inconsistent delivery, are you serious
He has a wicked curve.

Delivery resmbles Weathers

dabvu2498
Anderson was supposed to play this summer with the Midland Redskins, I believe. Guess not now.

Doc. Scott
57. Cleveland- Josh Rodriguez, 2B, Rice U.

flyer85
06-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Color me unimpressed with the Reds picks.

A OF and a reliever whose numbers aren't all that impressive

Red Leader
Tribe takes Josh Rodriguez with their 2nd pick in this round.

2B from Rice U.

LoganBuck
Does anyone feel like they are on that SNL version of "Who wants to be a millionare" that was set in Bosnia and titled "Who wants to eat"? You could win a goat!

Aronchis
Looks like it will be a rough draft, hardly a surprise from my POV. Even the O'brien era had a rough 2004 draft before the more refined 2005 draft. Considering the newness of Buckley and the scouting department he still has to build, I doubt this draft will go down as good.

Caveat Emperor
Hehe...

I guess I'll just go to the old fan-standby: They're paid to do this, I'm not.

Because, otherwise, I'd think Krivsky just went on an all night coke bender and left the intern from the group sales department in charge of drafting.

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Sean Watson..

You think Buckley will pull a "david bush" and convert him?

MLB comment says that he has 4 usable pitches w/good fastball and nasty knuckle curve.

Very possible. Yeah, it's true- Buckley drafted the Wake Forest reliever Bush and managed to convert him into a starter and get him in the bigs in just a couple of years.

The Brewers ended up acquiring two of Buckley's big projects in the same deal- Bush and Gabe Gross.

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Looks like it will be a rough draft, hardly a surprise from my POV. Even the O'brien era had a rough 2004 draft before the more refined 2005 draft. Considering the newness of Buckley and the scouting department he still has to build, I doubt this draft will go down as good.

They're going to have to kick it up a notch in the next 3-4 rounds for me to even be impressed.

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 02:20 PM
I'd like to see Brandon Belt go to the Reds in the next round.

LoganBuck
Hehe...

I guess I'll just go to the old fan-standby: They're paid to do this, I'm not.

Because, otherwise, I'd think Krivsky just went on an all night coke bender and left the intern from the group sales department in charge of drafting.
:D :D :D :D :D

flyer85
They're going to have to kick it up a notchQuick, somebody find Emeril

NewEraReds
He has a wicked curve.

Delivery resmbles Weathers
thats makes it worse :)

Doc. Scott
58. Baltimore- Ryan Adams, 3B, Louisiana HS

59. Washington- Sean Black, RHP, New Jersey HS

60. Milwaukee- Brent Brewer, SS, Georgia HS.

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 02:21 PM
LaPorta and Stephen King are still top talents that are available

NewEraReds
this guy isnt new, hes been drafting for teams for a while, as far as i understand

Red Leader
Pades take Wade LeBlanc.

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Mets take Kevin Mulvey. Nice pick.

The Phils (in their division) would have taken him at 65.

Reds Fanatic
Mets take K. Mulvey

CTA513
Color me unimpressed with the Reds picks.

A OF and a reliever whose numbers aren't all that impressive

I dont know much about Watson, but I just looked him up on CSTV.

http://utsports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/watson_sean00.html

111 walks in 195 innings. :eek:

NewEraReds
to me, i was never impressed with buckleys drafts in tor and hes doing nothing to make me happy he is running the reds draft. lets hope krivsky doesnt allow this to go on long

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 02:23 PM
61. SD- Wade Leblanc, LHP, U. of Alabama

62. NYM- Kevin Mulvey, RHP, Villanova

63. Florida- Thomas Hickman, CF, Georgia HS

Marlins steal a guy with no scouting report from the Braves list.

64. Minnesota- William Benson, LF, Illinois HS

OnBaseMachine
Lars Anderson, Matt LaPorta, Jordan Walden, and Stephen King still on the board. One of those guys would make me feel much better about the Reds draft.

Red Leader
to me, i was never impressed with buckleys drafts in tor and hes doing nothing to make me happy he is running the reds draft. lets hope krivsky doesnt allow this to go on long

I'd like to see him yank him out of the war room now.

Reds Fanatic
06-06-2006, 02:24 PM

Ouch. Plus he gave up 179 hits in those innings for a WHIP of 1.48 over his college career.

jmcclain19
And here comes the A's first pick of the day at 66

NewEraReds

this draft SUCKS imo right now.

Gainesville Red
06-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Just got home from school. Was really hoping for LaPorta, but I'm a little bias.;)

Caveat Emperor
So we've got so far:

1.) A 5 tool outfielder that probably will struggle with a wood bat

and

2.) A college closer with a plus-4 ERA.

GUESS THE NEXT REDS DRAFT PICK:

A.) A prep two-sport star (debate and squash) with a .500 Pinch Hit batting average.

B.) A college bullpen catcher

C.) Rick White's kid brother Bill.

NewEraReds
I'd like to see him yank him out of the war room now.
same here. this is getting ugly. not that it makes any dif. :) :) but ill be emailing my disgust

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 02:26 PM
The A's take Trevor Cahill with their 1st pick. A HS player.

Stop the press...

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Quick, somebody find Emeril

http://legendaryentertainment.com/Catacombz/site_images/emeril_specials.jpg

traderumor
06-06-2006, 02:27 PM

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1008895&postcount=16

Not sure how the bolded portion of this post stacks against others, but that doesn't smell of incompetence to me.

Red Leader
06-06-2006, 02:27 PM
http://legendaryentertainment.com/Catacombz/site_images/emeril_specials.jpg

I hope that works.

Seriously, I do.