PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

KronoRed
06-06-2006, 07:26 PM
15 rounds.. how many do they go today?

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 07:27 PM
i lied.

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 07:28 PM
about what, this being a bad draft?

and thanks krono!

REDREAD
06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
John Allen still works for the Reds:devil:

:laugh: That's true. Maybe this is Allen's last act of sabotage in his last contract year. Maybe Allen is squeezing the draft budget again.

I'm not ultra-excited about this draft, but I'm trying not to be a defeatist.
If we get a nice CF and 2 relievers out of this draft (yeah, I know that may be a stretch), it will still be one of the best drafts we've had in a long time.

Doc. Scott
A break for Lasorda to go pee and pick up some pasta.

cincyinco
A break for Lasorda to go pee and pick up some pasta.

speaking of which, brb!

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Jaime Arneson
6'5" lefty.. only 195.. lanky.

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Round 16: Seattle drafts a RHP from the University of Portland. Small Catholic school.

The Reds, on the other hand, take 6'5" LHP Jamie Arneson from Bakersfield College. Fair enough.

Yankees drafted RHP Paul Patterson from NKU.

I swear, every guy the Red Sox drafted has a scouting report. It's as if Theo assembled his list using MLB.com.

NC Reds
06-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Jamie Arneson.

Another tall pitcher from California.

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Buckley seemingly loves the "big classic pitcher frame" type guys...

Also seems like we're trying to avoid injury by drafting these types... Probably a good idea.

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm okay with drafting a bunch of tall pitchers. I'm a lot more iffy on drafting a bunch of relievers who have to be converted if we don't want a 23-man pitching staff at Dayton in 2007.

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Two guys from Dallas Baptist go within a five-pick span. Jason LaRue's alma mater, is it not?

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Round 17: CF Chris Heisey, from Messiah College in Pennsylvania. 6'0"/195#. A Denorfia?

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Two guys from Dallas Baptist go within a five-pick span. Jason LaRue's alma mater, is it not?
that would be correct

NC Reds
http://home.messiah.edu/~ch1214/home.html

Could be a Denorfia. Seems like a very nice kid.

dougdirt
Well hey, at least its not another pitcher some California College....

CTA513
Jaime Arneson
6'5" lefty.. only 195.. lanky.

He started 12 games this year according to this website:
http://www.bc.cc.ca.us/athletics/Baseball/WSC Pitching Stats.asp

2.33 ERA, 81 Innings, 59 Hits, 40 BB, 102 K

I would imagine if he cut down on the walks his ERA would be even better.

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Anyone want to take friendly bets of bragging rights as to which team will select Danny Almonte?

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Someone's got to find all the Facebook and Myspace pages for these guys so we can a) see what kind of girls they're hanging out with and b) determine if the music taste in some of the minor-league clubhouses will be an improvement over what the Reds themselves are into.

I expect that kind of highly relevant information to be a part of the other thread.

NC Reds
06-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Anyone want to take friendly bets of bragging rights as to which team will select Danny Almonte?

Washington Nationals. JimBo needs attention.

reds44
06-06-2006, 07:53 PM
He's in this draft?

I'd take a chance on him.

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 07:56 PM
I will say the Kansas City Royals will take a chance on Almonte.

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Oh, hey, there's like a real game on here soon.

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
yup, draft should be over by then..

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I just turned on the Dragons game broadcast on...I need something to cheer me up.

NC Reds
06-06-2006, 08:01 PM
I love the Wehrle pick. Where in the heck did that come from???

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 08:02 PM
another short stop

Ryan Wehrle - univ. of neb. lincoln

draft elgible soph.

signaibility a concern, but he's a corner in a class weak on college bats.. good hitter w/developing power..may stay at SS as a pro, but his bat will play at third down the line..

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 08:02 PM
I love the Wehrle pick. Where in the heck did that come from???

These are the types of chances we should have been taking a bit earlier IMO.. on Laporta, Lars Anderson, etc.

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 08:03 PM
I like the Wehrle pick too....if we can sign him.

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Red Sox draft Lars Anderson

Doc. Scott
06-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Round 18: Hey, a guy with a scouting report:

Ryan Wehrle, SS, U. Nebraska at Lincoln

"As a draft-eligible sophomore, signability is a concern, but he's a comer in a class weak on college bats. A good hitter with developing power, he may play at SS as a pro, but his bat will play at third base down the road."

A) At 6'3" and 0 pounds, he could probably use a good meal.

B) So does his bat take up a roster spot if it's going to play next to him in the infield?

Further insult on my mock draft: my second-rounder, catcher Mike Ambort (Lamar)... went to Oakland in round eighteen.

Boston drafts 1B Lars Anderson.

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Finished off at 18 rounds for today.

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Did the Cards jsut draft a guy who will be 28 later this year?

NC Reds
06-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Did the Cards jsut draft a guy who will be 28 later this year?

Looks that way. Maybe they felt sorry for us today.

dougdirt
says he was born 1978...typo possibly? 1987 maybe?

Doc. Scott
That's what the draft tracker says. It says "NO SCHOOL", so it's possible that he really is 28. I have no idea.

pedro
06-06-2006, 08:11 PM
That's what the draft tracker says. It says "NO SCHOOL", so it's possible that he really is 28. I have no idea.

maybe he's a cuban.

cincyinco
06-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Round 18: Hey, a guy with a scouting report:

Ryan Wehrle, SS, U. Nebraska at Lincoln

"As a draft-eligible sophomore, signability is a concern, but he's a comer in a class weak on college bats. A good hitter with developing power, he may play at SS as a pro, but his bat will play at third base down the road."

A) At 6'3" and 0 pounds, he could probably use a good meal.

B) So does his bat take up a roster spot if it's going to play next to him in the infield?

Further insult on my mock draft: my second-rounder, catcher Mike Ambort (Lamar)... went to Oakland in round eighteen.

Boston drafts 1B Lars Anderson.

Boston has had the best day 1 of the draft IMO.. great drafting. Good chances, and solid talent.

Gallen5862
06-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Who are the best players still available?

wolfboy
06-06-2006, 08:37 PM
He's in this draft?

I'd take a chance on him.

He is in this draft. The Royals have allegedly expressed interest, and the Yankees invited him for a pre-draft workout. From what I've read, he only pitches in the high 80s, but he has some good movement on his fastball. I think a deceptive delivery is a factor that contributes to his success as well. He has a scholarship to a Junior College in NM, so he may not sign depending on where he is drafted.

Gallen5862
06-06-2006, 08:41 PM
That sounds like a draft and follow possability for some team.

Topcat
06-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Any Idea on who took ZacH Britton ?

Gallen5862
06-06-2006, 08:51 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/261628.html
Worth A Look
6:25 p.m.: There obviously aren't any sure things in the 15th round, but the Reds picked up a prospect with a lot of potential. Rafael Sanchez, a third baseman from Queensborough CC, has plus raw power and a strong arm, but he is very raw and might not have enough agility for third base. He has good upside, though, for a 15th-rounder.
-- Aaron Fitt
Sophomores Slide
7:06 p.m.: A disappointing end to Nebraska's season continued today, as both of the Huskers sophomore-eligible draft candidates fell hard. Southpaw Tony Watson spent time this season being considered as a potential top-three rounder, but instead, he slid to pick 505 in the 17th round. His teammate, shortstop Ryan Wehrle, went 29 picks later, picked by the Reds. Given each player's draft day fall, there's a pretty good chance they could return to Lincoln this fall.
-- Bryan Smith

jmcclain19
06-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Here is what John Manuel from BA said after the draft about LaPorta

Q: J.P. from IL asks:
So, what's the deal with LaPorta today? Give us a rundown, please.
A:

John Manuel: The quick answer is, he's got a bad body, no true position and he hasn't hit, and that's a bad mix when you put a huge price tag out there. One scout I talked to comped LaPorta to . . . Matt LeCroy. Yikes. That's fine, but it's not several million dollars worth of ballplayer.

edabbs44
06-06-2006, 09:05 PM
This is probably the most disappointing draft day in recent memory. It only started with Stubbs. The number of big names who dropped multiple rounds just sat there for the taking. I was able to run through BA's blog and it was frightening to see some of the names projected to go in the top 3 rounds going into the teens.

So the question is: Is this ownership any different when it comes to money? I think we are being blinded by the amazing start the team has gotten off to b/c the only move where somewhat significant $ was involved was the Arroyo deal. I hope that Bob and Co. are saving some $ for the pennant push, b/c today was just ugly. This is not a scientifically proven statement, but it seems like the Reds could have gone through the draft and drafted a projected 1-3 round pick every round. But it seems like $ was on the minds of the front office during the draft.

This guy from NY, Dellin Betances, would have been a perfect pick by Cincy. Already committed to JUCO, throws absolute heat and he Yanks get him in the 9th. What's wrong with using a pick on a draft and follow ike this guy? Instead, it seemed like we got a bunch of players who have at least one sever flaw.

Now don't get me wrong, this FO is light years ahead of what used to be in place. They seem to care about the team on the field at GABP a lot more than the previous regime. The Phillips deal is proof of that. But for anyone who thinks Bob is going to throw money around at the deadline, this might be the first warning shot that things aren't much different around here in that respect.

GET OUT TO THE BALLPARK CINCY FANS!

edabbs44
06-06-2006, 09:05 PM
repeated

Cedric
06-06-2006, 09:08 PM
This is probably the most disappointing draft day in recent memory. It only started with Stubbs. The number of big names who dropped multiple rounds just sat there for the taking. I was able to run through BA's blog and it was frightening to see some of the names projected to go in the top 3 rounds going into the teens.

So the question is: Is this ownership any different when it comes to money? I think we are being blinded by the amazing start the team has gotten off to b/c the only move where somewhat significant $ was involved was the Arroyo deal. I hope that Bob and Co. are saving some $ for the pennant push, b/c today was just ugly. This is not a scientifically proven statement, but it seems like the Reds could have gone through the draft and drafted a projected 1-3 round pick every round. But it seems like $ was on the minds of the front office during the draft.

This guy from NY, Dellin Betances, would have been a perfect pick by Cincy. Already committed to JUCO, throws absolute heat and he Yanks get him in the 9th. What's wrong with using a pick on a draft and follow ike this guy? Instead, it seemed like we got a bunch of players who have at least one sever flaw.

Now don't get me wrong, this FO is light years ahead of what used to be in place. They seem to care about the team on the field at GABP a lot more than the previous regime. The Phillips deal is proof of that. But for anyone who thinks Bob is going to throw money around at the deadline, this might be the first warning shot that things aren't much different around here in that respect.

What did you think of Travis Wood last year at this time?

And how was this a $$ pick? Stubbs was considered the best position player on the board and the Reds obviously loved his talent.

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 09:08 PM

Ditto.

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 09:10 PM

And how was this a $$ pick? Stubbs was considered the best position player on the board and the Reds obviously loved his talent.

What player are you thinking compares even slightly with Travis Wood?
As for Stubbs, the fact that they were discussing contract terms with him tells me it was a $$ pick, because Andrew Miller almost fell into their lap.

Aronchis
06-06-2006, 09:14 PM
As for Stubbs, the fact that they were discussing contract terms with him tells me it was a $$ pick, because Andrew Miller almost fell into their lap.

"Talking" and "signing" are two different things. If Morrow or Miller falls in their lap, bye bye Stubbs.

Cedric
06-06-2006, 09:15 PM

They probably were on the assumption Miller wasn't going to be there. Even if he was they might not have liked him. Argue ineptness maybe, but saying it's all about $$ without the facts doesn't add up.

And the Wood part was about the second guessing all day of his pick. I don't know if you were around at that point, but Wood was ripped from here to there on this site as a HORRIBLE pick.

Gallen5862
06-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Here is more good info.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...es/261643.html
Q: mike jo from memphis asks:
reds fan big day im pumped who the reds gonna get will kershaw or morrow fall that far nope an outfielder i know baseball america got this one but as bad as reds need pitching but i cant disagree to much with wayne krivsky so my question what do you think at first glance of reds picks and quick rating against other teams(upper,middle of pack,bottom)did they sign milton loo thank s for youre time go baseball

A: John Manuel: Mike, I'll clean up your question at a later date. First, the Reds did sign Loo for around $220k. Loo hit three homers at the NJCAA World Series and was cleared medically on his elbow injury, so the Reds signed him. I'm a fan as I believe I have conveyed. Drew Stubbs is an exciting, exciting player, and one hard to pass up. Sean Watson could move quickly, as could Chris Valaika, a nice find in the third round. They got nice power arms later, with Josh Ravin, Jordan Smith, Travis Webb and Josh Roenicke. Those last three are probably relievers, but they have power arms.

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 09:19 PM
They probably were on the assumption Miller wasn't going to be there. Even if he was they might not have liked him. Argue ineptness maybe, but saying it's all about $$ without the facts doesn't add up.

And the Wood part was about the second guessing all day of his pick. I don't know if you were around at that point, but Wood was ripped from here to there on this site as a HORRIBLE pick.
I wasnt around then, but Travis Wood was 1 pick, I think a lot of people are questioning nearly all of the picks...

Cedric
06-06-2006, 09:22 PM
I wasnt around then, but Travis Wood was 1 pick, I think a lot of people are questioning nearly all of the picks...

I don't see many people questioning Stubbs. They seem to be questioning anything not a college pitcher. I guess that's something I don't quite understand.

dougdirt
06-06-2006, 09:24 PM
OK, well then maybe its me. I am questioning nearly every pick they made in the first 3 rounds, then nearly all rounds after round 5.

ochre
06-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Free agent league average pitchers cost more than free agent league average CFs?

edabbs44
06-06-2006, 09:26 PM

I will admit that I was shocked by the Travis Wood pick last year and he has obviously been awesome so far. But let's not deem him a total success yet. He's still in single A.

Watch when the signings start. Watch when all of these picks get les than the other picks around them. Then you'll see what was on their minds during the draft.

Let me ask you this...how would you feel if the Reds had this draft:

1) Take your pick, but we can talk about Lincecum, Max, Drabek or Bard over Stubbs.

2) Brett Anderson over Watson (who, by the way, looks about 275 lbs in his pics)

3) Britton, Buck or Chad Tracy over Valaika

Those three picks could have molded this draft and afterwards they could have went with more projects/signable guys. And the rest of the draft was littered with players (Walden, LaPorta, Betances, Belt, Melancon) who have more upside than some of these other picks. It just makes me sick. I thought this year was different.

Topcat
06-06-2006, 09:37 PM

Oh I remember it well:eek: , thats why I as a fan just sit back and hope for the best:beerme:

Cedric
06-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Oh I remember it well:eek: , thats why I as a fan just sit back and hope for the best:beerme:

And I'm not saying people shouldn't complain about picks, just that a MLB draft is incredibly volatile. You just don't know at this point.

NewEraReds
06-06-2006, 10:33 PM
no you dont, but id rather take my chances on a pitcher who is 21 and throws 95-98 on making it than a college cf with major questions about his bat

NewEraReds
06-06-2006, 10:35 PM
wehrle is a good pick, but its doubtfull we will be able to sign him since he is a soph. you never know how these guys will turn out, so its not like what we say means anything, but going purely on what i know about the guys, etc, this was a HORRIBLE draft