PDA

View Full Version : It's go time: let's streamline this 25 man roster

Crash Davis
06-06-2006, 11:35 PM
It’s now early June, and the Reds are only one game out of first place. While I hear that Tony LaRussa has come to possess the magic elixir of baseball, there does seem to be a window of opportunity in the NL Central for a hot team to make a move with THE dominant player in baseball on the shelf for at least a month...and probably longer. The swagger is gone.

Meanwhile, as many redszoners predicted, the Astros’ offense is slowing down. Not only that, but their iffy pitchers such as Buchholz, Nieve & Wandy (best Forest Gump voice: “it’s a household name”) have plummeted back to earth, Lidge may be two or three bad flashbacks away from complete Wohlers meltdown, Oswalt was placed on the DL today, and Clemens is still a couple of weeks away.

After a 2005 which saw the Brewers as the posterchildren for the theory that a cobbled-together bullpen is just as good of a bet as throwing millions at veteran relievers, they are now seeing the flipside of that theory. Additionally, Sheets’ shoulder is still barking, which combined with Tomo Ohka’s absence, has left a revolving door of failure at 4th/5th starter. As so often happens with chic pre-season sleeper picks, the Brewers are probably another year away.

Dusty’s Whiners are trying to figure out a way to get both Neifi Perez & Tony Womack in the line-up at the same time. They’re a joke…not to mention a brawl waiting to happen on a nightly basis. They continue to be more concerned with whining, perceived slights, and delusions of disrespect than giving professional at bats. The Pirates are much improved from April, which sounds nice, but it really just means they’re no longer sharing the ugliest trailer in the double wide park with the Royals.

My point? The time is now. Let's quit jerking around here. Injuries happen. You can’t sit back and feel sorry for the Cardinals because Pujols IS their offense. You can’t get caught up in the Clemens hype. You can’t keep wasting key reserve at bats on Quentin McCracken, and you certainly can’t keep running Rotten Rick White out to the mound.

Even if it’s too early for a significant trade, this roster can and should be streamlined immediately -- if not sooner -- to maximize the Reds’ chances of winning baseball games on a nightly basis. Which changes should be made tomorrow? Which changes could realistically be made down the road?

Here’s what I have in mind. Moves to me made ASAP:

Promote Chris Denorfia from Louisville, DFA Quentin McCracken. Now that’s a tired old chestnut, but let’s try roasting it like this: we’ve heard the argument that Denorfia needs to play everyday in AAA because he’s still learning and developing. I don’t buy it. I think Denorfia is as good right now as he’s ever going to be. He has nothing left to learn at AAA. Whether you believe he’s a right-handed Rusty Greer, or a Brady Clark clone or only another Mike Frank, the time to find out is right now. He’s a better hitter than McCracken, he has better speed on the bases and more range in the OF.

I’ve defended Scott Hatteberg’s right to playing time several times, but I also believe we’ve seen the best of him. In other words, we can’t quite expect his current numbers to continue all year. He’s still a role player in my eyes...for a few games a week I would like to see him coming off the bench as our lefty ace in the hole late in the game. Dunn can slide over to 1B on those occasions allowing Denorfia a game or two a week in the OF. But the most important point here is that Denorfia is simply a better use of a roster spot than Q…and as he has nothing left to learn at AAA, the time-honored ritual of the washed up veteran getting major league time while the youngster gets everyday at bats in AAA doesn’t hold water.

DFA Rick White, promote Justin Germano to long relief. Rick White has a fork sticking out of his back. Under the Dan O’Brien regime, the Reds had an uncanny knack for picking up the journeymen relievers who always brought a smile to my face when brought in to pitch against the Reds. David Weathers was one. Rick White was quintessentially one. He’s been given his chance, and he’s proven that he’s done.

It was only one game, but I liked what I saw of Germano. I’d like to see him get in a couple of games to see if he deserves to stay over Joe Mays when Belisle returns. He’s not the prototypical two-pitch fireballer who thrives after a move from the rotation to the pen, but I suspect Germano may find his niche rather quickly as a swing man. I liked what I saw of his breaking ball, and I'd like to see what else in that box.

Realistic June/early July trade targets:

B.J. Szymanski & Brad Salmon to the Pirates for Damaso Marte. If the Pirates have one desperate organizational need, it’s talented young outfielders. With Bruce & Tubbs now in tow, Szymanski is expendable rather than the great OF hope that he was a year ago at this time. If Szymanski can stay healthy, his tools could translate into performance spurring a quick advance through the system. Salmon is a promising arm with some control questions, but he’s been impressive in his short stint in AAA. He’s not likely to set the world on fire for the Reds if they have to turn to him in the 2nd half, but he’s also not too shabby as far as throw-ins go. Marte is a former closer who is lights out when he’s on. He can be a top tier bullpen lefty for those confrontations with Delgado, Berkman, Edmonds, Helton, etc. I’m not sure how much I trust Mercker in those situations.

Ryan Wagner to the Orioles for Latroy Hawkins. The Orioles could hold on to Hawkins and lose him as a free agent, or they could gamble on the Mazzone touch with a former 1st round pick’s talented right arm. It’s now clear that Wagner won’t be helping the Reds this season, so getting a probable upgrade on David Weathers at set-up man fills a need. I expect Coffey to solve the closer conundrum, but I’m not sold on Weathers keeping his ERA below 4.00 the rest of the season.

It's early yet for a major starting pitcher trade, so let’s revisit that one in a month.

Thoughts? Any other ideas?

Nugget
06-06-2006, 11:45 PM
If you DFA White, Germano is not the guy you promote as White is not the Long Reliever. You will need to look at Wags improving or someone else taking the right hand short relief role.

Been there done that on Deno and Hats has shown that he is comfortable being the role player and Narron has mixed and matched him and RA.

I think the REDS will need relief help but I don't see them trading within the Division or being in the market for a short term high priced rental. Unless Wags stock has completely dropped.

I don't know enough about players on other teams to come up with a viable alternative for a relief trade, although there was a lot of mention regarding Liriano in the early part of the season.

Crash Davis
06-06-2006, 11:58 PM
If you DFA White, Germano is not the guy you promote as White is not the Long Reliever. You will need to look at Wags improving or someone else taking the right hand short relief role.

Isn't that what Weathers is being used for now that he's not closing? Isn't that how Yan has been used since we acquired him? White is being used in games where we're losing (or up very comfortably). That's the low leverage role Germano would fill.

Been there done that on Deno and Hats has shown that he is comfortable being the role player and Narron has mixed and matched him and RA.

So your point is that because they didn't stay with it long enough the first time, McCracken has a free pass to hit .170 the rest of the way?

My point is regardless of whether Denorfia has been up before, he has nothing left to learn at AAA...AND he's a better player than McCracken. The latter being the reason for a divisional contender to make the move.

I think the REDS will need relief help but I don't see them trading within the Division or being in the market for a short term high priced rental. Unless Wags stock has completely dropped.

The "trade within the division" talk is always a bit overblown. If the player you need happens to reside on the roster of a team in your division, who cares if your A-ball prospect might come back to haunt you 2-3 years down the road? Marte isn't a long-term fixture in Pittsburgh's pen. They have the look of a team that would take the highest prospect package for him THIS season.

I don't know enough about players on other teams to come up with a viable alternative for a relief trade, although there was a lot of mention regarding Liriano in the early part of the season.

We don't have the package of players anywhere on our 25 man roster or minor league system to net Liriano...not many organizations do. If we want a fix at set-up man, we're basically dealing with the teams who are already out of the race. That doesn't leave a whole lot of fireballing strikeout artists as potential saviors. I say it's time to cut the fish loose on Wagner.

Nugget
06-07-2006, 12:29 AM
I thought Weathers is the current setup man. If your looking for a guy to be the punching bag then I say you can just cut White. If the REDS are doing well they shouldn't need the 12th pitcher.

As for Deno I have always been on the side of him playing everyday. Not so much that he has more to learn in AAA but that moving him up and sitting him as the fourth outfielder could stunt his growth and his ability to play everyday when he is called up for good. If your saying call him up and let him play everyday you'd have to find another replacement for Q as you would still need the fourth outfielder.

Crash Davis
06-07-2006, 12:47 AM
I thought Weathers is the current setup man. If your looking for a guy to be the punching bag then I say you can just cut White. If the REDS are doing well they shouldn't need the 12th pitcher.

Fine by me.

As for Deno I have always been on the side of him playing everyday. Not so much that he has more to learn in AAA but that moving him up and sitting him as the fourth outfielder could stunt his growth and his ability to play everyday when he is called up for good. If your saying call him up and let him play everyday you'd have to find another replacement for Q as you would still need the fourth outfielder.

I'm contending that growth can't be stunted if the man is full grown. He's ready now. That being the case, he's ready for whatever role his manager employs. I think he's closer to Ryan Spilborghs than Matt Kemp.

kheidg-
06-07-2006, 12:59 AM
There is nothing the Reds possibly could package to get Liriano.

kyred14
06-07-2006, 01:13 AM

White should be straight up released, he's about as worthless as they come. When Belisle comes back, he'll be back in long relief (even though he might be a better option than Claussen in rotation right now.) Wagner can't get anyone out in AAA. Hes terrible, and probably hurt.

Liriano wouldn't be in the bullpen for the Reds, he'd be the #1 starter. The thing is, we would have to trade half the team to get him.

Topcat
06-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Isn't that what Weathers is being used for now that he's not closing? Isn't that how Yan has been used since we acquired him? White is being used in games where we're losing (or up very comfortably). That's the low leverage role Germano would fill.

So your point is that because they didn't stay with it long enough the first time, McCracken has a free pass to hit .170 the rest of the way?

My point is regardless of whether Denorfia has been up before, he has nothing left to learn at AAA...AND he's a better player than McCracken. The latter being the reason for a divisional contender to make the move.

How is Brandon League doing in the Jays orginization this year? I liked what I saw last year, sure he had rough moments but the kid could flat out burn.

The "trade within the division" talk is always a bit overblown. If the player you need happens to reside on the roster of a team in your division, who cares if your A-ball prospect might come back to haunt you 2-3 years down the road? Marte isn't a long-term fixture in Pittsburgh's pen. They have the look of a team that would take the highest prospect package for him THIS season.

We don't have the package of players anywhere on our 25 man roster or minor league system to net Liriano...not many organizations do. If we want a fix at set-up man, we're basically dealing with the teams who are already out of the race. That doesn't leave a hole lot of fireballing strikeout artists as potential saviors. I say it's time to cut the fish loose on Wagner.

How is Brandon League doing in the Jays orginization this year? I liked what I saw last year, sure he had rough moments but the kid could flat out burn.

Crash Davis
06-07-2006, 01:27 AM

Good find. When the Jays sent Adams down last week, I wondered if they were desperate enough at shortstop to deal him for Olmedo or Bergolla...

KronoRed
06-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Liriano wouldn't be in the bullpen for the Reds, he'd be the #1 starter. The thing is, we would have to trade half the team to get him.
I doubt even that would get him for us.

I agree with the thinking on Deno, he can help the team now, why keep him in AAA?

reds44
06-07-2006, 02:02 AM
I used to be on the keep Deno in AAA and let him get consistent AB's, but there is no reason for him to be down there. He needs no more seasoning, he is ready. Plus right now Q really hasn't done anything as a pinch hitter, and his error against the Phillies still haunts me.

Get Deno up here.

Guacarock
06-07-2006, 05:09 AM
Acquiring Hawkins and Marte would improve our bullpen, no doubt about it.

But how about a one-stop shopping deal that strengthens our bullpen not only for this season's playoff push, but also perhaps for 2007? And does so taking on less salary. And involves us giving up talent we can afford to sacrifice, while making more use of the personal connections of our new GM, Wayne Krivsky.

Instead of separately approaching Baltimore about Hawkins and Pittsburgh about Marte, why shouldn't Krivsky seek to pry Rincon away from Minnesota, with Dennys Reyes thrown in as a sweetener?

What can we offer the Twinkies in return? For starters, a SS to replace Castro in Olmedo. Olmedo has demonstrated enough promise to play at the ML level and he's a clear, forward-moving improvement over Castro, being younger and cheaper, and having some upside on offense, without at all being a defensive liability.

Yet, Olmedo is seemingly blocked from advancing with us, with Lopez and Phillips on board, and Freel and Aurilia guarding their flanks.

Then we have Wagner, who has handled setup duties with the Reds, but doesn't seem to figure into our existing needs or future plans.

Finally, we have a surplus of relief pitching talent stashed away at Chattanooga -- not guys who can be summoned tomorrow necessarily, but pitchers who could be dominant in another year or two.

So, let's offer the Twins Olmedo, Wagner and a choice of Shafer, Coutlangus or Guevara for Rincon and Reyes.

What's in it for us? Rincon is an extremely reliable setup man, who hasn't surrendered an earned run since April 21. He's been with the Twins for years and while he's still cheap (900K), he can be expected to become much more costly pretty soon. Big deal. With his 25 KO's in 27 IP this season, his 1.89 ERA, and his comparable, steady performance the past few years, he's an ideal challenger to Coffey as our closer or replacement for Weathers. He's 27, so he's just entering his prime.

Reyes, aka The Big Sweat, is not primetime material. He's pitched in the majors for a decade, including an earlier, fun-filled stint with the Reds. Yet he's only 29, and so far in 2006, is posting a 1.38 ERA buoyed by holding opposing batters to a .196 average, including completely shutting down LHB. Admittedly, he's pitching above his head for now, fighting for his life to prolong his career. Even so, while we know his 1.38 ERA will get more inflated, his lifetime ERA is a halfway respectable 4.71, and he has started to curb his wildness and all those walks. He's good insurance to have on board in the event Mercker or Hammond go southward, instead of cruising through the balance of 2006 like seasoned southpaws.

Put Reyes and Rincon in a bullpen with Coffey, Hammond, Weathers and Mercker and I think we'll have a fighting chance this season to keep our playoff chances alive. Belisle and Yan can slug it out for the long-relief, spot starter and mopup role, or pick up the slack should one of the other vets implode. Makes some sense to me. More sense than Hawkins and Marte, although I wouldn't cry foul to see them pursued instead.

deltachi8
06-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Just a gut feeling while following the Jays a bit - they could have an interest in Ryan Freel to play 2b....dont know how they match up, but they are in it to win this year.

Crash Davis
06-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Acquiring Hawkins and Marte would improve our bullpen, no doubt about it.

But how about a one-stop shopping deal that strengthens our bullpen not only for this season's playoff push, but also perhaps for 2007? And does so taking on less salary. And involves us giving up talent we can afford to sacrifice, while making more use of the personal connections of our new GM, Wayne Krivsky.

Instead of separately approaching Baltimore about Hawkins and Pittsburgh about Marte, why shouldn't Krivsky seek to pry Rincon away from Minnesota, with Dennys Reyes thrown in as a sweetener?

What can we offer the Twinkies in return? For starters, a SS to replace Castro in Olmedo. Olmedo has demonstrated enough promise to play at the ML level and he's a clear, forward-moving improvement over Castro, being younger and cheaper, and having some upside on offense, without at all being a defensive liability.

Yet, Olmedo is seemingly blocked from advancing with us, with Lopez and Phillips on board, and Freel and Aurilia guarding their flanks.

Then we have Wagner, who has handled setup duties with the Reds, but doesn't seem to figure into our existing needs or future plans.

Finally, we have a surplus of relief pitching talent stashed away at Chattanooga -- not guys who can be summoned tomorrow necessarily, but pitchers who could be dominant in another year or two.

So, let's offer the Twins Olmedo, Wagner and a choice of Shafer, Coutlangus or Guevara for Rincon and Reyes.

What's in it for us? Rincon is an extremely reliable setup man, who hasn't surrendered an earned run since April 21. He's been with the Twins for years and while he's still cheap (900K), he can be expected to become much more costly pretty soon. Big deal. With his 25 KO's in 27 IP this season, his 1.89 ERA, and his comparable, steady performance the past few years, he's an ideal challenger to Coffey as our closer or replacement for Weathers. He's 27, so he's just entering his prime.

Reyes, aka The Big Sweat, is not primetime material. He's pitched in the majors for a decade, including an earlier, fun-filled stint with the Reds. Yet he's only 29, and so far in 2006, is posting a 1.38 ERA buoyed by holding opposing batters to a .196 average, including completely shutting down LHB. Admittedly, he's pitching above his head for now, fighting for his life to prolong his career. Even so, while we know his 1.38 ERA will get more inflated, his lifetime ERA is a halfway respectable 4.71, and he has started to curb his wildness and all those walks. He's good insurance to have on board in the event Mercker or Hammond go southward, instead of cruising through the balance of 2006 like seasoned southpaws.

Put Reyes and Rincon in a bullpen with Coffey, Hammond, Weathers and Mercker and I think we'll have a fighting chance this season to keep our playoff chances alive. Belisle and Yan can slug it out for the long-relief, spot starter and mopup role, or pick up the slack should one of the other vets implode. Makes some sense to me. More sense than Hawkins and Marte, although I wouldn't cry foul to see them pursued instead.

I thought of Rincon, but the Twins just aren't in the business of giving up dominant cheap, young set-up men. They have no reason to want to deal him away. I think you're going to have to offer them something a lot more enticing than Ray Olmedo & a broken down Ryan Wagner. I'd like to see a stronger argument in the "what's in it for them category."

What happens when Big Sweat Reyes turns back into a pumpkin at midnight? I don't think he can be counted on any more than Shackelford. I'd give him another couple of weeks to see if he can keep this up.

schroomytunes
06-07-2006, 11:12 AM
These are just some simple moves that I would like to make, I know they may not happen but, who knows.

1) Reds trade-Javier Valentin,and BJ Symanski, to the Pirates for Craig Wilson.

-why it works, the Pirates unload Wilson's salary who has been relegated to the bench with Casey's return and they get a 2nd round OF prospect which they are lacking. They also get a Catcher who is capable of starting 4 games a week. While the Reds get a much needed bat off the bench who can play 1b/OF and allow us more flexability w/o carrying 3 catchers.

2) The Marlins DNF Todd Wellemeyer this week, the guy brings heat but also walks alot of batters and is only 28yrs old. I would bet we could get him for nothing, and he would be an upgrade over Rick White in the pen right now.

Crash Davis
06-07-2006, 12:15 PM
These are just some simple moves that I would like to make, I know they may not happen but, who knows.

1) Reds trade-Javier Valentin,and BJ Symanski, to the Pirates for Craig Wilson.

-why it works, the Pirates unload Wilson's salary who has been relegated to the bench with Casey's return and they get a 2nd round OF prospect which they are lacking. They also get a Catcher who is capable of starting 4 games a week. While the Reds get a much needed bat off the bench who can play 1b/OF and allow us more flexability w/o carrying 3 catchers..

The Pirates seem awfully happy with Ronny Paulino as their starting catcher. They've always liked Cota's defense as a back-up...and Doumit (though currently injured) may be trade bait, or he could end up being used in the Charlie Moore utility catcher role.

Is Valentin a free agent after this season? If not, he's at least in his final year of arbitration. I'm not sure if his situation matches up with Pittsburgh's.

It doesn't seem that there are many teams out there actively seeking catching help. I've been keeping an eye on the Angels.

2) The Marlins DNF Todd Wellemeyer this week, the guy brings heat but also walks alot of batters and is only 28yrs old. I would bet we could get him for nothing, and he would be an upgrade over Rick White in the pen right now.

He's an interesting arm, and I would think a better use of a roster spot than Rick White. But Krivsky has shown very little patience with good arms who lack any semblance of major league control.

Another potential middle reliever who could be had for a waiver claim is Sunny Kim of the Rockies.

Kc61
06-07-2006, 12:31 PM
I agree the Reds should view themselves as contenders for the playoffs and should try to maximize this year's chances, within reason. I would not trade Griffey, Dunn, Kearns, Lopez or any of the key players for future-oriented guys. They are 10 games over .500 again and I want to see them keep winning.

Many of the trades mentioned are not that realistic. I don't think Wagner or Syzmanski have much value right now. Germano has not done that well at AAA and I don't think he'd contribute much to the major league team right now.

To me, the obvious move is to trade a catcher for a reliever. I would play Larue some and when his numbers come back to their norm I would trade him (deadline?) for a good reliever. At that point the Reds can bring up another position player (Denorfia, Olmedo?) and add the new reliever to the pen.

I also would expect White to remain until Belisle comes back. Then the numbers may dictate that White should go.

Reds1
06-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Isn't just so awesome to see a thread like this in June. I love it. It's hard for me to add to this, but I will say I think the Reds could be waiting and then will bring up Dino, but the fact is the 25th guy won't get much time unless an injury or injuries happens. That's why we are content with McCrack now. I think the focus is trying to get some RP help. Apparntly we are trying to find magic in a bottle with Yan and Mays, but they are trying this early and if it doesn't work out and we get closer to the trade dealine we will open our wallets. Just a thought.

Crash Davis
06-09-2006, 05:09 PM
How about Sauerbeck instead of Marte? He would certainly cost less.

Per rotoworld:

Indians designated LHP Scott Sauerbeck for assignement.
Sauerbeck had a 6.23 ERA in 13 innings over 24 appearances, even though the league was hitting just .196 against him. His command is always going to be a problem, but he should have trouble finding a job. It's possible that the Indians will be able to get a lesser prospect for him before they have to set him free in 10 days. Jun. 9 - 4:10 pm et

edabbs44
06-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Isn't just so awesome to see a thread like this in June. I love it. It's hard for me to add to this, but I will say I think the Reds could be waiting and then will bring up Dino, but the fact is the 25th guy won't get much time unless an injury or injuries happens. That's why we are content with McCrack now. I think the focus is trying to get some RP help. Apparntly we are trying to find magic in a bottle with Yan and Mays, but they are trying this early and if it doesn't work out and we get closer to the trade dealine we will open our wallets. Just a thought.
I think Deno should be brought up and get some time vs lefties and to spell Griffey late in the game as a pinch runner or in the field when his bat is no longer needed (i.e., blowouts). It might be time to face facts when we talk about Griffey as an everyday player. I think Deno could get enough playing time not to rot away on the bench. Q plays way too much now and if he had to be inserted into the lineup with the game on the line, it could be deadly.

Mario-Rijo
06-09-2006, 06:29 PM
A couple of quick thoughts, cause I gotta go soon.

A real nice set-up man on a bad team is Rafeal Soriano (Seattle). They need a back-up MI and a possible replacement for Soriano. Wagner & Olmedo or something close, I mean really Wags just needs a change of scenery.

The Tigers could use a LH batter & a catcher, Valentin & something else could pry a solid bullpenner from them.

Crash Davis
06-09-2006, 07:22 PM
A real nice set-up man on a bad team is Rafeal Soriano (Seattle). They need a back-up MI and a possible replacement for Soriano. Wagner & Olmedo or something close, I mean really Wags just needs a change of scenery.

I was trying to stay away from talented & cheap young pitchers who aren't close to free agency because, really, why would a non-contending team want to give up a player like that? Those are the types of players they would be trying to acquire in trades...not the types they'd be giving away. Just a thought.

I'd be all for dealing Nacho Libre to the Tigers if they really wanted him.

Crash Davis
06-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Here's another one hitting the waiver wire:

Rangers designated RHP Antonio Alfonseca for assignment.
Alfonseca had made just two appearances since coming off the DL, giving up two runs in an inning. Perhaps he'll be an adequate 12th pitcher if he gets back to the NL. As much success as he there two years ago, perhaps Atlanta will want him. Jun. 9 - 5:55 pm et

Mario-Rijo
06-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I was trying to stay away from talented & cheap young pitchers who aren't close to free agency because, really, why would a non-contending team want to give up a player like that? Those are the types of players they would be trying to acquire in trades...not the types they'd be giving away. Just a thought.

I'd be all for dealing Nacho Libre to the Tigers if they really wanted him.

Granted Soriano is only 26 and makes 450 K this year, but it is his 5th ML season. He had TJ surgery 8-18-04. But his #'s have always been good so maybe with the payday that's not too far away now the M's might be willing to take a chance on a young guy with nasty stuff who is many years away from getting the big payday who just needs a change of scenery and perhaps a fresh approach from a new pitching coach, plus throw in a young solid all-around MI like Olmedo. That's not a bad deal, of course the M's might need something else but I think they may be tempted. They do need a future closer and they know Soriano is best suited to set-up! It's worth a shot.

Jpup
06-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Here's another one hitting the waiver wire:

I was just going to post that. I'd trade Q for him.

The Baumer
06-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Honestly is McCracken really even on the roster? He gets about 2 at bats a week if he is lucky. Just close your eyes and imagine Denorfia in McCracken's role or pause your TiVo and scribble some wavy brown hair on any random person sitting on the bench. There is no reason to have Denorfia on the roster so that he can drink his fair share of Gatorade and get one at bat a week.

Spitball
06-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Honestly is McCracken really even on the roster? He gets about 2 at bats a week if he is lucky. Just close your eyes and imagine Denorfia in McCracken's role or pause your TiVo and scribble some wavy brown hair on any random person sitting on the bench. There is no reason to have Denorfia on the roster so that he can drink his fair share of Gatorade and get one at bat a week.

Good point. I would rather have Denorfia playing regularly at AAA so when Griffey, Kearns, or Dunn goes down for a prolonged period, he is sharp and ready...and history tells us that at least one will likely go down with an injury.

edabbs44
06-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Good point. I would rather have Denorfia playing regularly at AAA so when Griffey, Kearns, or Dunn goes down for a prolonged period, he is sharp and ready...and history tells us that at least one will likely go down with an injury.
There comes a time when you have to bite the bullet and do what's best for the team. It is embarrassing when you think that there are players like Q and White on a team 1.5 games out. Denorfia would get enough time up with the big club not to rot away. Vs lefties, double switches, day games and pinch running should get him enough time.

Spitball
06-11-2006, 09:30 PM
There comes a time when you have to bite the bullet and do what's best for the team. It is embarrassing when you think that there are players like Q and White on a team 1.5 games out. Denorfia would get enough time up with the big club not to rot away. Vs lefties, double switches, day games and pinch running should get him enough time.

I understand where you are coming from, but right now, I'd rather have Denorfia playing everyday. The days of rotating four outfielders is hopefully over in Cincinnati, and I believe Kearns is responding positively. If the Reds need to upgrade the fourth outfielder, let them go out and get a role player. There is no reason to be embarrassed by having McCracken or White on the team. Many championship teams have included their like.