PDA

View Full Version : Rocket's Red Glare

RFS62
06-07-2006, 08:18 AM
I know he's one of the all time great pitchers.

I know it's big news that he's coming back.

I know that with greatness, sometimes you get massive egos.

But man, I'm getting pretty sick of the "All Rocket, all the time" coverage on ESPN. What, are they done with Barry now in the pompous gasbag coverage catagory?

It reminds me of the build up to the All Star game in Houston where he was cannonized non-stop leading right up to the game. Then he got smacked around pretty good on the international stage. The best part was when they stopped the game to give him an award and he had to make a speech, all after his 6 run first inning meltdown.

It's going to be damn near impossible to come close to last years performance, IMO. And if there is such a thing as a jinx, all the lip flapping and non stop adulation from the sporting press may be setting him up for another very public fall.

Or maybe not. Maybe he can pitch into his 50's. Maybe we'll be treated to several more years of Rocket envy. Maybe the same production company doing Barry's little mini-series can come up with a sitcom for Rocket lips.

I can't wait.

GAC
06-07-2006, 09:03 AM
No one denies the guy's ability.

But I still think he is an A-hole (always have).

I really can't believe the Stroh's organization basically caved to this guy (and it's their own fault), and are paying him the money they are, when it's not even gonna help them.

Clemens plays only for the money, which I know most would not fault him (or any player) for. But I sure wouldn't pay it to him.

I heard yesterday on ESPN that they say his presence will really turn this team around.

What? Does he possess the shekinah glory?

Clemens 40:34-35.."Then the cloud covered the dugout of meeting, and the glory of Clemens filled the tabernacle. And Garner was not able to enter the dugout of meeting, because the cloud rested above it, and the glory of the Clemens filled the tabernacle."

Don't see it happening :rolleyes:

Roy Tucker
06-07-2006, 09:10 AM
I did hear on the radio that ESPN cancelled Bonds on Bonds because of "editorial control differences".

So maybe there is a God.

macro
06-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Maybe he can pitch into his 50's.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/minnie_minoso_autograph.jpg

I'm loving all the Clemens coverage of his outing in Lexington. It's great to see the Legends getting national attention. Once the story moves away from the Lexington story, however, I'll be with you RFS.

WebScorpion
06-07-2006, 10:00 AM
I did hear on the radio that ESPN cancelled Bonds on Bonds because of "editorial control differences".

So maybe there is a God.

Barry was not happy with the episode that covered #715, saying they should have focused more on his family and friends and less on the fan reaction (or lack thereof) so they just dropped it. They say the contract allows for resuming the show if/when he closes in on 755... augh! :thumbdown

Tell Houston Clemens is not their savior. :ughmamoru

Johnny Footstool
06-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Bob Feller was (and is) a complete jackass, too. It doesn't make him any less of a pitcher.

Blimpie
06-07-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm loving all the Clemens coverage of his outing in Lexington. It's great to see the Legends getting national attention. Once the story moves away from the Lexington story, however, I'll be with you RFS.I'm with you Macro. The Legends deserve tons of props for what they have accomplished over the last week. They have always been a top flight minor league franchise, but the way they have handled this whole ordeal really speaks to the original ownership partners. Even though the Rocket pitched last night, the fans in the stands still got the 'minor league' feel of the game.

Last week, when the Legends began assessing what the national media interest would be resulting from this night, Alan Stein (et al) could have been really opportunistic with their operating methods. Did they try to double the parking fees or jack up the SRO ticket prices? Nope. If you were lucky enough to get one, the SRO grass tickets were still $ 4.00 before they sold out. Not only was parking still $ 3.00 per car, but it was even $ 0.25 hot dog night last night. Why? Because Tuesdays are always $ 0.25 hot dog nights at Applebee's Park.

It has been reported that certain members of the ownership group were under relentless pressure over the last week to "glam up" the opening ceremonies. It was even suggested to them that they use their connections with country singer Eddie Montgomery to ensure that he perform the national anthem. The Legends rebuffed all attempts to change the way they ran things for one night. When it was all said and done, the anthem was performed by the same eight year old boy who was originally scheduled to perform on that night. Why not? He tried out in March and was told that would be his night to sing before the crowd. Fair is fair.

The Legends did both the Astros and the community proud last night.