PDA

View Full Version : A Reason to Expect Big Crowds at GABP?

guttle11
06-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Per lance's blog

From my guys at FSN Ohio this morning
Last night's Reds/Cards game on FSN Ohio did the highest rating of the season (8.5). That tops opening day which did an 8.25.

Obviously, more people are watching Reds games now. The big TV shows are in re-runs right now, so that may explain something, but facts are facts. More people are watching Reds games now.

With schools now beginning to let out, could this translate to bigger crowds?

I think so.

reds44
06-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Yeah I think we will start seeing bigger crowds.

RedsMan3203
06-07-2006, 02:36 PM
If we don't pack GABP this weekend.... Its a shame.... I know if I lived in the Cincinnati area i'd be down there atleast once a week... But living a few hours away and school/work its hard to attend games...

TeamBoone
06-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Something I've always wondered about... how do they know how many people are watching?

I know for the major network they use the Neilson ratings... I think random families have those machines in their homes, but for networks like FSN?

smith288
06-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Something I've always wondered about... how do they know how many people are watching?

I know for the major network they use the Neison ratings... I think random families have those machines in their homes, but for networks like FSN?
Think black helicopters and NSA....

BOO!

BuckeyeRedleg
06-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I expect 30,000+ a game for the next 10-game homestand.

Az Red
06-07-2006, 03:41 PM

I know for the major network they use the Neison ratings... I think random families have those machines in their homes, but for networks like FSN?

As a dish customer, you can sign up and have your watching habits tracked for ratings collection. I'm not sure if the same is true for cable.

kbrake
06-07-2006, 03:42 PM
I dont know why people freaked out in April and May about crowds to begin with. Everyone knew if this team was still in it around June when schools got out that people would come. Like buckeyeredleg said I would expect a good crowd on the homestand.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
300,000 over 10 games or my first born child.

Take it to the bank.

KronoRed
06-07-2006, 04:20 PM
300,000 over 10 games or my first born child.

Take it to the bank.
Better pay up on that, last person never delivered the kid!

jmcclain19
06-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Little people live inside the cable boxes and phone in what you watch.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Better pay up on that, last person never delivered the kid!

Darn that Jimmy Haynes, huh FCB?

KronoRed
06-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Little people live inside the cable boxes and phone in what you watch.
I got rid of them, they stayed up to all hours watching Animal Planet

LawFive
06-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Aren't the Cubs due in this weekend? With good weather, that's pratically a guaranteed 35K crowd each night. Trouble is 1/3 will be Cubs fans.

TeamBoone
06-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Do they count the stuff you record? I watch a lot of things, just not directly.

Virginia Beach Reds
06-07-2006, 08:51 PM
VBR now is Milford Reds and he works across the street from PBS in the Enquirer building.

I believe that I'll be walking across the street to GAB tomorrow after work to catch the chubbies. I would expect enormous walk up crowd this weekend. Weather is supposed to be fairly nice and everyone is talking about the Reds of late:beerme:

edabbs44
06-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Are you worried about those late night Cinemax movies you've been recording?

edabbs44
06-07-2006, 08:57 PM
I dont know why people freaked out in April and May about crowds to begin with. Everyone knew if this team was still in it around June when schools got out that people would come. Like buckeyeredleg said I would expect a good crowd on the homestand.
People freaked out b/c they were getting 15k a game. It was weak for a team who was having a tremendous month. And then when ownership can't afford to go get a big FA, the couch potatoes complain. Just the facts.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-07-2006, 09:12 PM
People freaked out b/c they were getting 15k a game. It was weak for a team who was having a tremendous month. And then when ownership can't afford to go get a big FA, the couch potatoes complain. Just the facts.

They have averaged 22-23k per game on the season.

If they are having a good year, they'll get that average up to 28-30 before it's all said and done.

Virginia Beach Reds
06-07-2006, 10:00 PM

If they are having a good year, they'll get that average up to 28-30 before it's all said and done.

I've been there a couple of times and the announced crowds have been very generous unless many people were dressed as red seats.

edabbs44
06-07-2006, 10:18 PM

11 of their 26 home games were under 20k. That average got helped a lot by opening day and Memorial Day weekend.

oregonred
06-07-2006, 10:31 PM
I've been there a couple of times and the announced crowds have been very generous unless many people were dressed as red seats.

Tickets sold, not actual attendance.

4 game sets vs. a key rival are where a majority of the teams make serious hay on their gameday attendance averages.

Speaking of attendance. Being out in the NWest, I'm shocked how the Mariners attendance has fallen off the cliff the last couple of years -- the team stinks but to go from 3.5M+ for years to being lucky to get 20K on a given weeknight is pretty shocking (same as the Indians sudden loss of interest at the gate a few years back)

KronoRed
06-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Are you worried about those late night Cinemax movies you've been recording?
That's TC, not TB ;)

TeamBoone
06-08-2006, 12:19 AM
11 of their 26 home games were under 20k. That average got helped a lot by opening day and Memorial Day weekend.

And the weather stunk! Freakishly cold and tons of rain... I didn't go; I didn't even consider going. Obviously, I'm not the only one.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-08-2006, 12:24 AM

.....And all of their remaining home games are during the summer, so you could also say that whatever average they finish with would have been better had it not been for the typical small April/May weekday crowds.

TeamCasey
06-08-2006, 05:13 AM
That's TC, not TB ;)

:devil: :thumbup:

edabbs44
06-08-2006, 06:00 AM
.....And all of their remaining home games are during the summer, so you could also say that whatever average they finish with would have been better had it not been for the typical small April/May weekday crowds.
...Or because the bandwagon fans were unsure if the team was actually good or not.

zombie-a-go-go
06-08-2006, 06:02 AM
I got rid of them, they stayed up to all hours watching Animal Planet

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(I don't know why I found that so funny)

TeamCasey
06-08-2006, 06:19 AM

You made me curious too. I was never sure how it worked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielson_rating

KittyDuran
06-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Tickets sold, not actual attendance.

4 game sets vs. a key rival are where a majority of the teams make serious hay on their gameday attendance averages.

Speaking of attendance. Being out in the NWest, I'm shocked how the Mariners attendance has fallen off the cliff the last couple of years -- the team stinks but to go from 3.5M+ for years to being lucky to get 20K on a given weeknight is pretty shocking (same as the Indians sudden loss of interest at the gate a few years back)Some of the games were Kid Glove which means IIRC, the Reds do not count as actual ticket sales so there were actually more fans in the stands.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-08-2006, 09:43 AM
...Or because the bandwagon fans were unsure if the team was actually good or not.

All teams that start winning begin to draw more. Add to the fact that historically the Reds have not drawn big crowds in April and May and they are winning, I think it's common sense to assume the numbers will go up.

The Reds have been to the playoffs twice since 1979 (1990 and 1995) and have had two seasons ruined because of strikes (1981 and 1994). Not only that, but until WK and Castellini came on board, the city had suffered through years and years of really bad baseball with arguably one of the worst front offices (in any sport) running the show. It's no wonder that they aren't selling out every game. But the point is, that even if the Reds won 100 games last year, they still would have had pretty low attendance numbers in April and May. It's a combination of bad baseball for so many years and historically never drawing well this early into the season.

Does that make Reds fans bandwagon-jumper's? All fans love to jump on a band-wagon to some extent. It's human nature and nobody really wants to watch a bad baseball team. Regardless, so what if there ARE people that only come out when the team is winning. I got one solution to that dilemma.

WIN!

If winning consistently means they will come out more, then put a good product out there and they will eventually come. The problem with old the regime was that they expected the fans to come out and support a bad team and they held the team hostage demanding that they would not spend until they saw the fannies ($$$) in the seats.

NJReds
06-08-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm not a bandwagon fan by any means. But I am an "out-of-towner". In 2003, I took a roadtrip for a 3-game weekend set; unfortunately this was on the heels of the firesale and I ended up watching Dunn, Larkin and a bunch of AAA players.

I didn't come back the last two years because I was not happy with the ownership/direction.

I am coming back this July - not so much because the Reds are in first (I made my plans as things started to go south a couple weeks ago) but more as an endorsement of the new ownership.

KronoRed
06-08-2006, 04:28 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(I don't know why I found that so funny)
They do the same to you dont they? ;)