PDA

View Full Version : Speculation: LaRue gone?!?

Mean Machine
06-07-2006, 11:07 PM
There is rumor going round that this could happen. By the end of the all star week. Anyone heard anything similar? Could this be a good or bad move?

redsfan30
06-07-2006, 11:09 PM
I haven't heard anything about this...plus the end of the all star week is still over a month away.

I'd say it's not true.

RedsMan3203
06-07-2006, 11:09 PM
1st time poster comes up with a rumor....

Mario-Rijo
06-07-2006, 11:10 PM
There is rumor going round that this could happen. By the end of the all star week. Anyone heard anything similar? Could this be a good or bad move?

Who are you mean machine and why do you mock us?

reds44
06-07-2006, 11:10 PM
1st time poster comes up with a rumor....
I smell a rat.

KronoRed
06-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Sounds like wishful thinking

Redhook
06-07-2006, 11:11 PM

He was actually traded this morning for his old self. Didn't you see? He got a hit tonight. Glad to have old LaRue back. Old and improved. ;)

edabbs44
06-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Javier, learn to hit lefties and it just might come true.

Mean Machine
06-07-2006, 11:15 PM
I seen this on the Bengals message boards. Just wondering if anyone else has heard this. I'm not mocking or a rat, just curious. The reds are kicking ARSE!!!!!!!!! Besides the line does say
"For Reds fans, by Reds fans."

billy117
06-07-2006, 11:15 PM
He was actually traded this morning for his old self. Didn't you see? He got a hit tonight. Glad to have old LaRue back. Old and improved. ;)

No we traded him for Jason Schmidt this morning, but we decided to let him play one last game.

OldXOhio
06-07-2006, 11:17 PM

All good if true, as long as it nets the Reds pitching. Larue is the one marketable guy the team can part with and not miss a beat.

billy117
06-07-2006, 11:20 PM
All good if true, as long as it nets the Reds pitching. Larue is the one marketable guy the team can part with and not miss a beat.
I don't mean to be a jerk but "marketable"? LaRue, Jason LaRue? To whom? I don't know you at all so there's a good chance you could be being sarcastic.

captainmorgan07
06-07-2006, 11:20 PM
if we trade him for schmidt will all jump for joy even thought he's on a decline

billy117
06-07-2006, 11:22 PM
if we trade him for schmidt will all jump for joy even thought he's on a decline
16 ks last night, that is a very slow decline.

bellhead
06-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Tracey Jones has said he is the only player of value above single A which could actually net something.

He said probaly at least one very good reliever or two.

billy117
06-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Tracey Jones has said he is the only player of value above single A which could actually net something.

Ok I guess I'm the only guy who doesn't know. If it's true great, but I guess I'd have to see it to believe it.

Redhook
06-07-2006, 11:32 PM

"Superman" Denorfia could probably net a good reliever. Other than him it's pretty much desolate.

BTW, Leanne Tweeden is on Best Damn Sports Show right now. :D

KoryMac5
06-07-2006, 11:37 PM
We had heard rumors of a Penny for Larue deal at the beginning of the season, with him riding the pine more these days in favor of Ross I would not be shocked to see Larue gone.

NewEraReds
06-07-2006, 11:38 PM
i dont think i would trade deno. what if we need a of, hes all we have outside our top 4 that we can even think about counting on.

we should move larue and as quick as possible. did you see him just walk to the ball after that wild pitch today and the look narron was sending his way. hes just gonna start causing trouble if he hasnt already.

GOREDSGO32
06-07-2006, 11:41 PM
We need a couple of decent relievers badly.

Redhook
06-07-2006, 11:44 PM
i dont think i would trade deno. what if we need a of, hes all we have outside our top 4 that we can even think about counting on.

we should move larue and as quick as possible. did you see him just walk to the ball after that wild pitch today and the look narron was sending his way. hes just gonna start causing trouble if he hasnt already.

I don't WANT to trade Deno, but we don't have much else to offer.

I'd like to move LaRue too. What I don't like, and I'm surprised by this, is the fact that he's complaining about playing time. He's getting $3.9 million this year. Anyone one of us would gladly take a small percentage of that to ride the pine. He needs to produce or shut up and do what's best for the team and right now that's letting Ross play while he's hot. If LaRue would just stay patient and accept his new role he'll play better when he plays and he'll probably get that chance since it's unlikely Ross will keep up this torrid pace.

Redhook
06-07-2006, 11:46 PM
We need a couple of decent relievers badly.

I'm going to put baseball cards of good bullpen pitchers under my pillow tonight hoping the baseball ferry will take them and return good pitchers to the Reds. :p:

NewEraReds
06-07-2006, 11:59 PM
I don't WANT to trade Deno, but we don't have much else to offer.

I'd like to move LaRue too. What I don't like, and I'm surprised by this, is the fact that he's complaining about playing time. He's getting $3.9 million this year. Anyone one of us would gladly take a small percentage of that to ride the pine. He needs to produce or shut up and do what's best for the team and right now that's letting Ross play while he's hot. If LaRue would just stay patient and accept his new role he'll play better when he plays and he'll probably get that chance since it's unlikely Ross will keep up this torrid pace.

oh i agree. if it has to be done, so be it. its just, it would be down my list if other things could be done.

and how quick larue forgets what bob did for him this summer. if i recall correctly, it was him

Jr's Boy
06-08-2006, 02:24 AM
Larue never gets going till the second half of the season.Give him time,he still calls a great game for the pitching.

TeamSelig
06-08-2006, 02:27 AM
I would be happy with a good reliever, and a project prospect (one of those once a top prospect but recovering from surgery or a setback starting pitchers)

SeeinRed
06-08-2006, 03:52 AM

Denorfia has a bright future, but that future is not in Cincy IMHO. He brings the most value as far as prospects go right now. Plus, the Reds have had no problem producing outfielders, and they have some decent outfield prospects that could be in the majors in a couple years, as well as guys like Ryan Freel who can play some outfield. As far as catchers go, there is not much depth in the minors. Sure, they have three catchers now, but its not having a negative effect on this team.

Honestly, I think that shopping Denorfia for some pitching prospects isn't a bad idea. I don't think you need Major League talent for him right now. But if you are looking to trade a catcher for a reliever, I think that Valentin is the most likely to go. He isn't making the big money that LaRue is. Maybe Valentin and Denorfia in a package would bring something, but I don't like to speculate on trades because honestly most of us don't have any idea what is really going on in the front office of the Reds.

I wouldn't be against trading LaRue if they get rid of some of that contract, but that will severly reduce the talent level of the player the Reds would get in return. My only problem with it is that a lot of the fire behind a LaRue trade is based on his lack of offensive production. If you look at it, his playing time has been severly reduced. Its just taking him longer to get his swing. He may also be pressing because he knows he is fighting for playing time. Give the guy time, even if it is only to increase his trade value.

RAS
06-08-2006, 04:26 AM
Throw in Dunn with any deal that sends LaRue packing. It may get us an extra box of cracker jacks

OldXOhio
06-08-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't mean to be a jerk but "marketable"? LaRue, Jason LaRue?

Which Jason Larue have you been watching the last few years? The one I've seen is not an elite, but certainly a mid to upper echelon, catcher that's improved every year for each of the last 3-4 seasons. His contract is also workable.

To whom?

NYM, NYY, SD, OAK to name a few

registerthis
06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
I don't mean to be a jerk but "marketable"? LaRue, Jason LaRue? To whom? I don't know you at all so there's a good chance you could be being sarcastic.

I've been as big a defender of LaRue as anyone, but his woeful performance since coming back is really problematic for the Reds. Through 2005, he was one of the best and most consistent catchers--offensively and defensively--in the league. The contract he signed was at-or-slightly-below market value for a catcher of his capabilities.

However, that was before he got injured and the Reds decided to go with this three catchers idea. Now, LaRue is mired in an awful slump and is playing only a couple of games a week. Not only is his performance hurting the Reds, but his lack of playing time, coupled with his lack of performance when he does play, is making him as close to untradeable as a player can get.

I'd be curious to find out what has happened--is he still injured, did he come back too quickly, should he have spent some time in AAA? I find it difficult to believe that his skills eroded this quickly, considering the consistency he has put up over the past 6 years. The wheels inevitably fall off for everyone, but typically not this quickly.

So, the Reds are in a real Catch-22 right now: they need to play LaRue to get production from him to either trade him or get value out of his contract, but there are two other catchers outperforming him at the moment. It's a tough situation with no clear answer right now.

MartyFan
06-08-2006, 09:59 AM

:mooner: > Tracey Jones.

Jones is the local equal of Peter Gammons who knows the game but always makes these sweeping statements.

OldXOhio
06-08-2006, 10:15 AM
What I don't like, and I'm surprised by this, is the fact that he's complaining about playing time. He's getting $3.9 million this year. Anyone one of us would gladly take a small percentage of that to ride the pine. He needs to produce or shut up and do what's best for the team and right now that's letting Ross play while he's hot. If LaRue would just stay patient and accept his new role he'll play better when he plays and he'll probably get that chance since it's unlikely Ross will keep up this torrid pace.

I couldn't disagree w/ your comments any more. Jason Larue has been the starting catcher since 2001. He had a good season last year, was given a two year deal that pays him what he's worth and now he's supposed to gladly ride the pine b/c he's making over 4 mil a year? Come on - what working stiffs like you and I would take matters not one bit. You're right in that he does need to produce, but keep in mind the guy was hurt coming out of spring training, so his season started a little later than most. His body of work the last few seasons ought to make you realize that his numbers will get better if given the chance. No one is able to get into a groove without getting the reps at the plate though. To ask a player at/near his prime, accustomed to being a starter most of his career, to suddenly accept his back up role is a little ridiculous. You want the guy to be chomping at the bit to get his job back, not gladly accept his new role as bullpen catcher. If the Reds decide to trade JL for some pitching and give the job to Ross/Valentin, then so be it. In the meantime, I'm not going to take issue w/ JL's compaints - he's a gamer.

registerthis
06-08-2006, 10:20 AM
I couldn't disagree w/ your comments any more.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure LaRue didn't sign his deal to sit on the bench. I've got no issues at all with LaRue complaining about playing time--I just wish he'd do more when he actually got it.

dfs
06-08-2006, 10:48 AM

No offence to Tracy Jones, but that's crazy. If the reds are interested in making a deal, they could trade any of the catchers, Rich A, Ryan Freel, Rey Olmedo (who is hitting at AAA) and Chris Denorfia. Depending on the organization, each of those things could be considered valuable. Now, you can't trade ALL of those guys, but you could trade a few of them and not hurt the organization at all.

Looking over the NL central, with the possible exception of the Pirates (who suck), the reds are probably the deepest roster and the roster best insolated against injury. I didnt' see that at the begining of the year, and I don't think anybody else did.

Really with respect to roster management and trades at this point I have to say that in Krivsky, I'll trust.

We spent a good bit of the offseason worrying about Tony Womack and all of the different secondbasemen on the roster. They pick up "Pokey with a bat" Phillips for cash and we've got a low cost second baseman who is the best defender on the club locked up.

We've endured the four headed outfield beast for years, Krivsky pulls the trigger and trades WMP for a starting pitcher who deserves consideration for the all star game.

We cluck our collective tongues at how weak the bullpen is and Esteban Yan shows up for nothing.

Everybody looked at the Hatteberg signing and thought it was "buisness as usual at the we love old veteran's clubhouse" while we waited for Rich A to start moaning about playing time again. NOBODY predicted those two would be platoon partners at first base. Nobody saw that comming.

I think putting Jason LaRue behind the plate is a defensive disaster along the lines of letting Adam Dunn play shortstop...Krivsky goes and picks up David Ross for a AA pitcher past his sell-by date and LaRue has been behind the plate less than any time since Eddie Taubensee was around.

Guys who do not produce are removed from the organization. Even better guys with big contracts who do not produce are removed from the organization.

That's ALL Wayne Krivsky. Every bit of it. All those moves seem obvious in retrospect, but Dan O' didn't get a single one of them done. If the reds go 500 the rest of the way he's locked in on the executive of the year award.

We have young talent at second, shortstop and third base. Three decent enough catchers. Two young corner outfielders who are clearly capable of monster offensive seasons. 3 decent starting pitchers who are all capable of going out and shutting any team in the league down on any given night.

Considering where everybody thought this team was in the offseason, that's damn exciting.

NewEraReds
06-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Larue never gets going till the second half of the season.Give him time,he still calls a great game for the pitching.
id love to see starter era's under ross and larue. we cant get larue out of here quick enough for me ;)

NewEraReds
06-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Which Jason Larue have you been watching the last few years? The one I've seen is not an elite, but certainly a mid to upper echelon, catcher that's improved every year for each of the last 3-4 seasons. His contract is also workable.

NYM, NYY, SD, OAK to name a few
whats that have to do with being marketable?

i bet you everyone thinks this before buying tix. WILL LARUE BE IN THE LINEUP:laugh:

NewEraReds
06-08-2006, 11:49 AM
No offence to Tracy Jones, but that's crazy. If the reds are interested in making a deal, they could trade any of the catchers, Rich A, Ryan Freel, Rey Olmedo (who is hitting at AAA) and Chris Denorfia. Depending on the organization, each of those things could be considered valuable. Now, you can't trade ALL of those guys, but you could trade a few of them and not hurt the organization at all.

Looking over the NL central, with the possible exception of the Pirates (who suck), the reds are probably the deepest roster and the roster best insolated against injury. I didnt' see that at the begining of the year, and I don't think anybody else did.

Really with respect to roster management and trades at this point I have to say that in Krivsky, I'll trust.

We spent a good bit of the offseason worrying about Tony Womack and all of the different secondbasemen on the roster. They pick up "Pokey with a bat" Phillips for cash and we've got a low cost second baseman who is the best defender on the club locked up.

We've endured the four headed outfield beast for years, Krivsky pulls the trigger and trades WMP for a starting pitcher who deserves consideration for the all star game.

We cluck our collective tongues at how weak the bullpen is and Esteban Yan shows up for nothing.

Everybody looked at the Hatteberg signing and thought it was "buisness as usual at the we love old veteran's clubhouse" while we waited for Rich A to start moaning about playing time again. NOBODY predicted those two would be platoon partners at first base. Nobody saw that comming.

I think putting Jason LaRue behind the plate is a defensive disaster along the lines of letting Adam Dunn play shortstop...Krivsky goes and picks up David Ross for a AA pitcher past his sell-by date and LaRue has been behind the plate less than any time since Eddie Taubensee was around.

Guys who do not produce are removed from the organization. Even better guys with big contracts who do not produce are removed from the organization.

That's ALL Wayne Krivsky. Every bit of it. All those moves seem obvious in retrospect, but Dan O' didn't get a single one of them done. If the reds go 500 the rest of the way he's locked in on the executive of the year award.

We have young talent at second, shortstop and third base. Three decent enough catchers. Two young corner outfielders who are clearly capable of monster offensive seasons. 3 decent starting pitchers who are all capable of going out and shutting any team in the league down on any given night.

Considering where everybody thought this team was in the offseason, that's damn exciting.
i am amazed at how little fans think of aurilia and freel. they'd be really surprised at how we perform without them on the team

Ltlabner
06-08-2006, 11:55 AM

I agree with most of your post but have to beg to differ on this point. LaRue's passballs have been on a decline since 2004 (15 in 2004, 6 in 2005, through last week 2 in 2006...although I think I heard he had another one last night). Ross had 8 last year, more than LaRue. Also through last week, LaRue's errors as a percentage of games played was 6.2% (40 in 641GP). For comparison, Ross's errors as a percentage of games played was 6.5% (11 in 169GP). So he and Ross are in the same ballpark in that department. LaRue's arm is also stronger with a .394 CS%, compared to Ross's .371.

So if LaRue is a "disaster" by your defination, Ross is one also.

I like Ross, and would like to see him continue to get more playing time, however, I don't think we should just dump LaRue like a sack of potatoes either.

Joseph
06-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I think putting Jason LaRue behind the plate is a defensive disaster along the lines of letting Adam Dunn play shortstop...

Do you even watch the games, or is this one of Ross' parents?

Is he the best? No, but he's closer to the top than the bottom [top 5+/-]. Let's not get ridiculous in our outlandishness please.

OldXOhio
06-08-2006, 11:58 AM
whats that have to do with being marketable?

i bet you everyone thinks this before buying tix. WILL LARUE BE IN THE LINEUP:laugh:

By marketable, I meant having value in the open trade market with other teams. Perhaps tradable would have been a better use of words.

KoryMac5
06-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I really feel that the point is moot nobody is going to give up a descent reliever for Jason Larue. These days everyone wants prospects, if the Reds do make a deal be prepared for somebody like Deno or BJ to be dealt not Larue. More than likely Larue will be dealt during the offseason. I could be wrong though as my wife often reminds me.

pedro
06-08-2006, 12:51 PM
I think putting Jason LaRue behind the plate is a defensive disaster along the lines of letting Adam Dunn play shortstop...

Wow. That's a bunch of .... well.... lets say hyperbole.

smith288
06-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Anything that comes out of Tracy Jones' mouth is akin to excrement. His "i played the game" retort when you criticise him is annoying, elitist and reflects badly on his character in my opinion.

Regarding LaRue... His decline thus far is sorta painful and dont think he will net us much.

RedLegSuperStar
06-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Yes LaRue can't be happy about his playing time.. but Ross has been hot and you have to go with the hot bat. LaRue could bring the most value as a catcher out of the 3. If you trade him i'd go after bullpen help. Hammonds has improved but with White still out there you have to question any lead. I'd much rather have Germano back and White cut.. but if we can get some arm help i'd pull the trigger.

Jr's Boy
06-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Why so much fuss over offense?I'll take a great defensive and game calling catcher above anything else,and thats what Larue is.

flyer85
06-08-2006, 01:22 PM
I really don't see a market for catchers at the moment. The only teams I see that probably are legit contenders with possible catching issues are the Phillies and Angels.

registerthis
06-08-2006, 01:24 PM

Marketable to other ML teams, NewEra. That's clearly what we're discussing here.

pedro
06-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I really don't see a market for catchers at the moment. The only teams I see that probably are legit contenders with possible catching issues are the Phillies and Angels.

and I don't think the Angels are going to actually contend this year. I think it's going to take an injury to create a decent market for Larue.

flyer85
06-08-2006, 01:36 PM
and I don't think the Angels are going to actually contend this year. if they do get back in it, which they could easily with a healthy Colon, it will mainly be due to the fact the AL West is not very impressive.

registerthis
06-08-2006, 01:41 PM
if they do get back in it, which they could easily with a healthy Colon

Come on. let's keep the sensitive medical discussions to the other board, OK? ;)

NewEraReds
06-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I agree with most of your post but have to beg to differ on this point. LaRue's passballs have been on a decline since 2004 (15 in 2004, 6 in 2005, through last week 2 in 2006...although I think I heard he had another one last night). Ross had 8 last year, more than LaRue. Also through last week, LaRue's errors as a percentage of games played was 6.2% (40 in 641GP). For comparison, Ross's errors as a percentage of games played was 6.5% (11 in 169GP). So he and Ross are in the same ballpark in that department. LaRue's arm is also stronger with a .394 CS%, compared to Ross's .371.

So if LaRue is a "disaster" by your defination, Ross is one also.

I like Ross, and would like to see him continue to get more playing time, however, I don't think we should just dump LaRue like a sack of potatoes either.
true, but ross is batting WAY better than larue right now and, IMO, calling a better game. add that to the fact his def numbers are pretty much a wash with larue, and you see why, at least i, would rather have ross

NewEraReds
06-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Why so much fuss over offense?I'll take a great defensive and game calling catcher above anything else,and thats what Larue is.
see, i think ross is better at game calling and not too far behind larue def

NewEraReds
06-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Marketable to other ML teams, NewEra. That's clearly what we're discussing here.
the word would be tradeable, valuable, desirable then. or TO OTHER TEAMS. he said marketable. and in the context of his post, thats exactly what it meant

OldXOhio
06-08-2006, 02:13 PM
and in the context of his post, thats exactly what it meant

No, that's not what it meant. Where did I say marketable TO THE FANS? That wasn't a topic of the discussion.

registerthis
06-08-2006, 02:26 PM
the word would be tradeable, valuable, desirable then. or TO OTHER TEAMS. he said marketable. and in the context of his post, thats exactly what it meant

The "context of his post" was the ability to trade LaRue. It seems that you were the only one who didn't understand that point. There hasn't been a single discussion about how marketable LaRue is to the fans, it has nothing to do with this.

bounty37h
06-08-2006, 04:02 PM

True, he is a second half player, but I have never been overly impresed with his calling skills. I personally think he is the 3'rd best catcher on the team, not including the pen catcher.

bounty37h
06-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Throw in Dunn with any deal that sends LaRue packing. It may get us an extra box of cracker jacks

Wow RAS, sound like a true fan there.

bounty37h
06-08-2006, 04:10 PM
i am amazed at how little fans think of aurilia and freel. they'd be really surprised at how we perform without them on the team

Not this fan! If I could only protect one player 100%, Freel would prob be my pick. I love the utility guys, and think they are essential for a team.

Spitball
06-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Right now, I don't see anyone really desperate for a catcher. Texas might be a target and they might be willing to deal a bullpen arm. However, should should Posada, Varitek, Lo Duca, or another contender's catcher go down for any length of time, LaRue might become a very valuable and desirable player. Catchers are vital and LaRue could fill in for a contender nicely.

Spitball
06-08-2006, 04:15 PM
BTW, how did Mean machine get 10 rep points and he only has two posts?

dfs
06-08-2006, 05:01 PM
I certainly didn't mean to imply that Aurillia or Freel were valueless and should be ditched, but if you look at the roster, they DO represent surplus that could be traded for the right return.

As to my opinion of Jason LaRue... Well, I've posted about it here before and kind of expected that response. I recognize my viewpoint on that topic isn't a popular one. I will be small and point out that Bronson Arroyo pitched to him for 3 innings in spring training and said never again.

Agree or disagree about that bit, my point that Wayne has significantly improved the franchise with low risk moves seems intact. It makes me think that if he sees something available that he feels will put this team over the top, I don't think he will hesitate to pull the trigger. That's a big difference from the way the reds have done buisness the last couple of years.

DannyB
06-08-2006, 05:17 PM
I think Larue is very valuable to this team and others and Krivsky knows it.I also think Freel would get a great return and the Reds could afford to package him with Valentin.

Redhook
06-08-2006, 05:38 PM
BTW, how did Mean machine get 10 rep points and he only has two posts?

Being a relatively new member myself, you start automatically with 10 points. I guess it's kind of like getting points on an SAT test for signing your name. The system may have changed since you first joined.

Spitball
06-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Being a relatively new member myself, you start automatically with 10 points. I guess it's kind of like getting points on an SAT test for signing your name. The system may have changed since you first joined.

Ahhh...that explains it. I thought perhaps this LaRue speculation had triggered some instant respect.

Mean Machine
06-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Ahhh...that explains it. I thought perhaps this LaRue speculation had triggered some instant respect.

i'm not in it for respect. We hear rumors all the time. Just curious if anyone had heard this. We are here for the comradarie and sometimes to argue. Even during the losing years we come together, that is what true fans do.

kyred14
06-09-2006, 02:47 AM
As to my opinion of Jason LaRue... Well, I've posted about it here before and kind of expected that response. I recognize my viewpoint on that topic isn't a popular one. I will be small and point out that Bronson Arroyo pitched to him for 3 innings in spring training and said never again.

No, he didn't. I agree that Larue is not the best game caller in world, but I've never read anything like that from Arroyo. It was just that him and Ross clicked, and Narron had to find a way to get Ross some PT early.

Ron Madden
06-09-2006, 05:20 AM
As to my opinion of Jason LaRue... Well, I've posted about it here before and kind of expected that response. I recognize my viewpoint on that topic isn't a popular one. I will be small and point out that Bronson Arroyo pitched to him for 3 innings in spring training and said never again. [/QUOTE]

That is not true.

Everyone has a right to an opinion.

Nobody has the right to lie in order to support an opinion.