PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Nelson to have elbow surgery, career likely over (6/8)

TeamBoone
06-08-2006, 12:47 AM
June 8, 2006

Reliever to have surgery, career likely over
Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Chicago White Sox reliever Jeff Nelson said Wednesday he will have surgery on a nerve in his elbow next week, a procedure that will probably end the 39-year-old right-hander's career.

Jeff Nelson
Relief Pitcher
Chicago White Sox

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM W L BB K ERA
6 0 1 5 2 3.38

Nelson was 0-1 and allowed a run and three hits in 2 2/3 innings in six appearances since the White Sox purchased his contract from Triple-A Charlotte on May 23. The 6-foot-8 Nelson ranks sixth among active pitchers with 798 career appearances.

He agreed to a minor league contract with the White Sox on May 2 after being released by St. Louis on March 29.

Nelson went on the disabled list on Sunday. Recovery time from the surgery is expected to be three months and Nelson said he was already looking at this as his last season.

"If they told me that I wouldn't do any more damage then I would have kept pitching," Nelson said.

Earlier Wednesday he said he was not in pain.

"They were really adamant in me going to see somebody and get this thing fixed. Not just baseball-wise, but future-wise," he added.

Nelson said he would miss pitching, if he indeed has done it for the last time.

"I've given my heart and soul to this game," he said. "I've always gone out there and taken the ball and there's never been any excuses."

Nelson, who went 1-3 with a 3.93 ERA in 49 games with Seattle last season, was on four World Series championship team with the New York Yankees. He also pitched for Texas.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2474991