PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate Krivsky's first four months on the job?

OnBaseMachine
06-08-2006, 08:13 AM
I'll give him an A.

Everything the guy has touched has turned to gold. Let's take a look at his transactions.

1.) Signed 1B Scott Hatteberg.

Hatteberg has been a big surprise since signing with the Reds in February, hitting .293/.400/.440 in 180 total plate appearances. His walk total(27 bb/13 k) doubles his strikeout rate. You can't ask for much more out of a guy making 750,00 dollars.

2.) Signed Adam Dunn to a 2-year contract extension with an option for a third year.

Locked up the franchise player to a long term deal. Dunn is once again OPSing well over .900 and cranking home runs out of the park at a 50 HR pace. Another great move.

3.) Traded Wily Mo Pena for Bronson Arroyo.

Dealt a strength(OF) for a weakness(starting pitching). Bronson Arroyo is putting up Cy Young caliber numbers at a cheap price. The Reds would be no where near where they are right now without Bronson Arroyo in the rotation. Again, fastastic move.

4.) Traded Bobby Basham for David Ross.

Ross has become the personal catcher for Arroyo, and has shocked just about everyone by OPSing just a tick under 1.100 in just over 70 plate appearances. He won't continue hitting at the pace he is, but when all is said and done he will have an above average OPS for a catcher. Again, great pickup.

5.) Traded PTBNL or cash to Indians for Brandon Phillips.

Like the Arroyo trade, the trade for Phillips has to (so far) go down as one of the best moves of the year by any GM. Phillips always had the potential to be a great player, and he has finally began to show it under the Reds. Phillips' .808 OPS is the 4th best among major league second basemen, believe it or not. Perhaps his biggest impact has come in the field where he ranks second among all MLB second basemen with a .883 zone rating. His baserunning abilites have also been a big shot in the arm(11-for-11 in stolen base attempts).

6.) Traded Ben Kozlowski for Cody Ross.

Acquired a solid 4th outfielder for Triple-A fodder...

7.) Traded Cody Ross to Marlins for PTBNL.

Soon after acquiring Ross, he dealt him to Florida for a PTBNL. If the Reds get anything decent in return, well, they win this trade.

8.) Traded 26-year old Single-A reliever Kyle Edens for Esteban Yan.

Edens has no future in the majors, Yan has a good arm and is worth taking a chance on. Only one run allowed through his first four innings with the Reds makes this an early win for the Reds. Even if Yan flops this trade will go down as an even trade.

9.) Signed draft-and-follow prospect Milton Loo.

Krivsky and company did something the previous regime couldn't do - they signed Milton Loo and added another bat to a thin farm system. What's not to like here?

The only thing holding me back from giving Wayne an A+ is Rick White still being on the roster. He should be gone yesterday.

How do you rate Wayne Krivsky's frst four months on the job?

OnBaseMachine
06-08-2006, 08:19 AM
I'm an idiot. Mods please do me a favor and move this to ORG where I meant to put it in the first place.

oneupper
06-08-2006, 08:21 AM
A+

Krivsky is a GM dream come true.

White will be gone when Kriv finds a substantial upgrade for him.

redsfan30
06-08-2006, 10:09 AM
I don't see how anyone could give him less than an A.

NewEraReds
06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
hes batting 1.000 so far, anything less than an A and i have to wonder what that poster is on

puca
06-08-2006, 02:40 PM
I gave him a c for the draft which brings his grade down a bit. Then again I wasn't thrilled with the Arroyo deal at the time it was announced either, so what do I know.

dougdirt
06-08-2006, 03:11 PM
I gave him a B+. The draft brought him down from an A. I like a lot of the things he has done, but the draft smells of failure, and since none of them have played yet I cant truly grade it other than what I thought of it. At best, he gets a D for the draft right now in my opinion (which means little) but it is my opinion. That D brings him down from an A because the draft is a major part of his job. I know he left it up to his scouts, but they are guys he brought in and well he is responsible for their actions. He has been better than I expected him to be, and has done quite a solid job.

NewEraReds
06-08-2006, 03:48 PM
I gave him a B+. The draft brought him down from an A. I like a lot of the things he has done, but the draft smells of failure, and since none of them have played yet I cant truly grade it other than what I thought of it. At best, he gets a D for the draft right now in my opinion (which means little) but it is my opinion. That D brings him down from an A because the draft is a major part of his job. I know he left it up to his scouts, but they are guys he brought in and well he is responsible for their actions. He has been better than I expected him to be, and has done quite a solid job.i realize he hired the guys who did the draft, so you can blame him some, but he didnt actually make any picks. so i dont see how his grade can be brought down any by what another man did. now you can give buckly a bad grade for it, but not krivsky, IMO. personally, buckly better hope a lot of these guys are better than "we" think :) or he wont have a job long. i think a few will turn out better than we think and this draft will be ok, but it wont be one that we look back on saying it was very good

Gallen5862
06-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I voted A plus. I think he has done excellent so far. I think its hard to judge the draft til see who we sign and how they play.

KronoRed
06-08-2006, 08:19 PM
B, like most of the moves but not a fan of 3 catchers and 12 pitchers, weakens the bench.

Topcat
06-09-2006, 05:26 AM
Anybody have any past drafts that Buckley had a hand in with the Bluejays? The reason I ask is I dare anyone to research it :devil:

Jpup
06-09-2006, 06:00 AM
I give him a B+. he has had a decent 4 months and I hope that he continues to build this franchise into something we can all be proud of. He needs to go out and get something done within the next couple of weeks with the bullpen and another starter. If he can get the Reds another front line starter and a couple of bullpen guys, with one being above average, at least, I'll give him an A+.

more pitching please. :thumbup:

cumberlandreds
06-09-2006, 06:38 AM
So far Krivsky has been the King Midas of GM's. Everything he has done has been gold.

RFS62
06-09-2006, 07:23 AM
A+

He's given us hope when even the most optimistic was beaten down, after years of dissapointment.

I want to have his babies.

redsmetz
06-09-2006, 08:09 AM
B, like most of the moves but not a fan of 3 catchers and 12 pitchers, weakens the bench.

I gave an A, not perfect. My reason for quoting the above is that this 3 catcher thing has to give at some point. With EE and Griff hobbled yesterday, Mark Berry manhandled Ryan Freel getting him away from the umpire after a BS called strike three (that ump had a strike zone sponsored by North American Van Lines - it just kept moving...). It was clear what Berry was doing. They could ill afford to have Freel tossed since it only left them McCracken to fill in and left no other positions other than catcher to fill in. With two guys "day to day", it left the bench thin.

RBA
06-09-2006, 08:09 AM
The Draft is nothing but a crapshoot. So I don't see how people could bring him down for that. It's the MLB draft, not the NBA or NFL draft where at least you know somewhat what you are getting and even that is suspect.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 08:17 AM
I gave him a B+. The '+' is for the optimism RFS speaks of. The 'B' is because I don't think we've seen his best. Give him an 'A' and there's no room for improvement. :D

I don't think the "3 catcher" thing is a "long-term" plan. I just think he's not making moves "just because" he has 3 catchers. Also the draft, who some of said involved "fast to advance, but lower ceiling" type guys may just be an effort to fill the organization with a different type of player, and bring in the "studs" later.

redsmetz
06-09-2006, 09:48 AM
The Draft is nothing but a crapshoot. So I don't see how people could bring him down for that. It's the MLB draft, not the NBA or NFL draft where at least you know somewhat what you are getting and even that is suspect.

FYI, I just started a thread in the Down on The Farm section about Hall of Famers since the draft began in 1965.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1016807#post1016807

Reds1
06-09-2006, 09:50 AM
A+

Krivsky is a GM dream come true.

White will be gone when Kriv finds a substantial upgrade for him.

Agree! I don't think we are done in the RP mode. I don't see Mays here long term. He hasn't even pitched yet. Yan might be a keeper though. This GM is cold right now. The Ross and Phillips pick ups alone put him at an A.

He also got ride of Womack! :)

Krusty
06-09-2006, 10:17 AM
If you didn't give him an A, maybe we need Dan O'Brien back.

Joseph
06-09-2006, 10:39 AM
I've gave him a B+. I want to see what he does when he HAS to make a deal instead of rolling the dice knowing it can't get worse.

Cedric
06-09-2006, 11:10 AM
You guys are like my professors, looking for any reason not to give an A.

Matt700wlw
06-09-2006, 04:58 PM
The only thing holding me back from giving Wayne an A+ is Rick White still being on the roster. He should be gone yesterday.

I'm almost certain there's something in his contract that says he something along the lines that he can't be moved until after June 15th.

If that's the case, look for something to be done next week.

vaticanplum
06-09-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm almost certain there's something in his contract that says he something along the lines that he can't be moved until after June 15th.

Matt, you just made my week.

KronoRed
06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
I thought that was just a rumor, and I have a hard time believing any GM would let Rick White dictate something like that in their contract :eek:

CougarQuest
06-09-2006, 05:06 PM

If that's the case, look for something to be done next week.
Well that's interesting information. I was wondering why K was dragging his feet on this particular person.

Matt700wlw
06-09-2006, 05:08 PM
If I'm wrong, don't shoot me, but I know I've heard that a few different times.

Joseph
06-09-2006, 05:34 PM
I've heard it too, and also don't blame the K-man for that, wasn't he an interim GM signing? Maybe I'm wrong.

Not to mention the overall rule that says he can't be traded before June 15th.

Johnny Footstool
06-09-2006, 05:59 PM
B plus. On the good side, his trades have all turned to gold thusfar, and he cut Womack loose instead of letting him linger. I'm not pleased with his handling of Denorfia, though. And the draft was disappointing, especially when there were so many quick-impact college pitchers available in the first round.

Highlifeman21
06-09-2006, 06:08 PM
I voted B+ for the primary reason that I don't think he's handled our 25 man roster as well as he could, or maybe should.

As Krono said, the 3 Catchers and 12 Pitchers is a waste of 2 spots, as well as the mismanagement of Chris Denorfia. I would add Ryan Wagner into this mix as well, but I'm not sure if it's a WK move that he's down or a Narron edict.

Quinton McCracken has no future with this team, so I'm continually puzzled by his spot on the 25 man roster.

Rick White, as many have waxed, also has no place with this team.

While I like that they took a stance with Josh Hancock in ST, I don't like the fact he's pitching well for the Cardinals (of all teams) b/c he showed up a lil chubby.

Lastly, I think he's made some solid moves that have VASTLY improved the Reds, but I think this puzzle won't begin to take shape/form until WK give Narron the boot and gets the man of his choice on the bench. Only then do I think we'll know the true colors of WK.

wheels
06-09-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm giving him a B, and that is not a negative thing.

It's still a little too early in his tenure to label him a smashing success.

So far so good, but I'm taking a wait and see approach until after the deadline, and after I see what he does with a full off season under his belt.

Those are two huge milestones for a rookie GM, and I don't know if it's fair to judge a guy until then.

pedro
06-09-2006, 06:23 PM
He gets a B+ from me. I am still a bit mistified by the mccracken thing.

GAC
06-10-2006, 06:15 PM
One could give him a D and he'd still be 100 times better then Dano.

RedRoser
06-10-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm one of the 72% that have, to this point, given him an "A."
We're in first, or right on the front porch with the Big Dogs, so how can we give him anything else. I don't however, want to have his offspring, like '62 does. :laugh:
He's proved ingenious with the Hatteburg, Ross, and Phillips signings. I especially like Phillips. He's Pokey Reese with some stick, and sans attitude, at least so far!
But I agree about Rick White. He's on my Haynes/Anderson list of pitchers. :D

KronoRed
06-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I found a similar thread from Dan O's first year, quite amusing ;)

WVRedsFan
06-11-2006, 03:34 AM
I'll give him an A+ and here's why:

1. He finally was the executive who realized that WMP was only a facade. Batting practice HR's and a few good games cannot come close to pitching reliabilty and competence. Bronson Aroyo was a diamond in the rough, but the trade has paid dividends. So different from so long ago. Bronson is not a retread. How refreshing.

2. He saw the potential in Brandon Phillips. The kid was a "no-miss" who missed at every opportunity because he wasn't given a chance to have an everyday job. He had time here and became a .300 hitter. It may not last, but it shows that WayneK's gut is in the right place.

3. He signed Scott Hatteberg. This guy was just as solid as they come for so many years. Not spectacular and not the "Mayor," but a good old-fashioned player who plays well. Slow of foot, but plenty of heart and besides, we don't have to watch those simply ridiculous gymnastics as he comes up to bat. I loved Sean, but I'm glad he's in the land of the Iron City . :barf:

4. Like RFS62 says, he gives us hope. He's a ture professional in his spot. He's not a Jim Bowden who continued to bring in retreads to pitch and was in love with "5-tool" outfielders and someone else's rejects. He brought in players and will build this franchise into a contender, if it isn't already.

sure, mistakes have been made. Narron should have been replaced (I know, hw do you fire a manager who has his team in 3nd place? We could be in 1st without his moves--call me critical). The Reds, if they are serious about winning need a winning manager. Last I looked, Narron wasn't that and his moves defy judgement. Rick White is a mystery, as was Williams, but he made swift decisions in the case of Williams and continues to improve the club.

Besides, it so much more refreshing to see someone pull the trigger when needed. I say...(see below)...

GAC
06-11-2006, 04:38 AM
What this man has done in the last 4 months has not only been amazing, but shows just how bad of a GM DanO was.

He has shown the guts and fortitude to make some moves that have really helped this team short term. For that he is given a "A".

For the longterm, that is still undecided. But he sure has pointed us in the right direction IMO.

I think K understands the "situation" with players like Q, White, the BP as a whole, and the 3 catchers, inwhich at some point he will address. Seeing what he has done up to this stage, why would anyone question that?

Right now he has taken a chance on certain players that have had a question mark surrounding them. And it has, so far, paid off. Is it simply luck, or does he see something in them that others have missed?

KronoRed
06-11-2006, 05:39 AM
Here we go.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29188&highlight=rate+o%27brien+first+year
A lot more F's there ;)

RedRoser
06-11-2006, 12:54 PM
WVREDSFan:
We're not in 3nd place; what is "3nd" anyway? :thumbup:
I wholeheartedly agree with you that this team needs a better manager. Too many little things Narron doesn't do or things he does do that just don't produce results, IMHO.
For starters, since this one is fresh in my mind from last night's loss, why is Rich Aurilia in the cleanup spot? I know all about the "staggering righty-lefty swingers" theory, but if Dunn is at the plate last night with two outs and a runner on, we have a much better shot at getting a long ball and tying the game than we do with Rich A. batting. Granted, Rich was hitting okay until recently, but I want my big hitters like Grif and Dunn getting more at-bats than the Aurilias.
Just my thoughts. . .

---'Roser

Falls City Beer
06-11-2006, 01:03 PM
A grade of A is earned, IMO. I don't go all in for grade inflation.

WVRedsFan
06-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Here we go.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29188&highlight=rate+o%27brien+first+year
A lot more F's there ;)

Interesting. I don't know how I missed posting on that thread, but it's clear we're better off than we were last year. Isn't it?

BTW, I noticed Mr. O'Brien posted his grade of C- or lower for Krivsky. Glad to have you aboard, Dan.

BoydsOfSummer
06-11-2006, 02:21 PM
I went with "B". I tried not to let my sheer giddiness that Obie was gone affect my decision.