PDA

View Full Version : MCcoy on Griffey (and Ross, Encarnacion, and Wagner)

dabvu2498
06-08-2006, 09:00 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0608redsnotesweb.html
[quote]
Reds careful with Griffey's tight leg muscle
By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

ST. LOUIS | The one name Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron most enjoys writing onto his lineup cards was not in the starting lineup on his card Wednesday George Kenneth Griffey, Jr.

A tight left quadriceps. Serious? No. Day-to-day.

"Now you know I'm not allowed to say day-to-day anymore," Griffey said with a laugh. "It's 'We'll see.'" Then he nodded an affirmation on, "Day-to-day."

Griffey felt something in the quad while scoring his third run Tuesday, running from first to home on Adam Dunn's double in the ninth. It wasn't the run, it was the slide.

"I jammed it sliding and caught something in his (catcher Yadier Molina) shin guards," he said.

The timing for the Reds was awful. First, Griffey hit in each of the first eight games of this trip (16-for-34, .471, four homers, eight RBIs). Even more significantly, Griffey pounds St. Louis starter Sidney Ponson 6-for-11 (.545) with three homers, a triple and four RBIs, plus a 1.545 slugging percentage.

"He ran early (Wednesday) and said he felt good, but we'll just give him a day to play it cautious," said trainer Mark Mann.

"He is a little bit sore in the quad," said Narron. "He'll probably be fine. We were going to give him (tonight) or Sunday off anyway. We'll just see how he is."

Somebody mentioned that Cardinals fans might consider Griffey out of the lineup an even exchange for St. Louis missing Albert Pujols.

Narron laughed out loud and said, "Yeah, what's Griffey on this trip and what is he against Ponson? He certainly has been outstanding and a lot of fun to watch."

A rest for Ross

A surprising lineup change was Jason LaRue going behind the plate instead of David Ross, who caught the last two games, both victories, and batted 3-for-8. Ross also caught Saturday in Houston and was 2-for-3 with a triple.

Meanwhile, LaRue entered the game on an 0-for-26 slide with a .171 season average.

Narron was ready with a plausible explanation.

"Ross has caught two straight days, and he is going to catch Bronson Arroyo (he always does) against the Cubs (tonight)," said Narron. "We'll be getting home so late (Wednesday night) I thought it would be better to give him off now instead of the next game with Arroyo pitching. And LaRue has done a pretty good job with Aaron Harang (Wednesday's starter).

"But we're certainly very, very pleased with the way David Ross has played," Narron added.

No DL for Encarnacion

Third baseman Edwin Encarnacion is taking treatment for his mildly strained left ankle and was not in Wednesday's lineup.

"I don't think it should take long, and he'll probably be ready to return quickly," said Narron. "The way it appeared, I thought it was something serious."

Encarnacion was running from first to third when he pulled up lame near third, then collapsed to the ground and writhed in pain, but later limped off.

Trainer Mark Mann said Encarnacion felt much better Wednesday and is taking treatments, but didn't do any baseball activities. He will be examined today in Cincinnati by team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek, but Mann said, "We don't think he is a disabled list candidate."

Wagner struggling

For those wondering about relief pitcher Ryan Wagner, the Reds' No. 1 draft pick in 2003 and in the majors two months later, well, he isn't having a fun time at Class AAA Louisville.

When he gave up two runs in one inning of relief Tuesday in a 5-1 loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, his earned run average drifted to 6.49. He is 0-2, giving up 39 hits and 11 walks in 26 1/3 innings.