PDA

View Full Version : June Swoon?

Matt700wlw
06-08-2006, 04:32 PM
It's June.

As Reds fans, we know what that usually means.

Usually May they begin to fall apart, and June they get buried.

Well....so far they are 6-0 in June. Last year, they won 9 games in June.

They're 11 games over .500 and in first place. They are tied for the best record in the National League. They've won 34 games....they won their 34th game last year on July 8th.

June Swoon? I think not

Moosie52
06-08-2006, 04:59 PM
I think they'll survive June, but August scares me.

KronoRed
06-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Fear the Brewers.

CougarQuest
06-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Fear the Brewers.
Fear nothing. Fear no team in the NL Central. Fear no team in the NL. Fear no team in MLB.

Fullboat
06-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I think this is our year.

Oswalt on the 15 day DL and we have finally beat him.
Lee is still on the DL with Prior & Wood in bad shape.
The Brew Crew has Sheets on the Dl
Pujols might not come back till after the All star break
the Reds are 24-12 in the NL Cent playing good at home and on the road.
Pitts has not looked good at all so far.

You Guys seeing a trend?

PickOff
06-08-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm going to say it. If the Reds remain healthy, they will contend to the wire. The bats are too good to allow a long losing streak, and Harang and Arroyo will continue their success.

It is hard to say if the playoffs will become a reality, because of the other teams, but the Reds have a great shot this year. I think the Reds may have to win the central to make the playoffs, though. There are a lot of underacheiving teams right now and a few will break through.

redsfan30
06-08-2006, 05:42 PM
I think they'll survive June, but August scares me.
August looks rough, but far from un-doable. I was scared to death of this last 9 game road trip, but it taught me to just let the games be played and see where we're at.

Aronchis
06-08-2006, 05:55 PM
The Reds are being helped by a Central swoon as well.

The key is getting Claussen going cause Milton and the Lizard will level off which could bankrupt the Reds if he doesn't pitch well.

TOBTTReds
06-08-2006, 05:59 PM
We might fall back to Earth soon. Remember when everyone in the central but the Pirates were dominating everyone. Now the past 20 games or so everyone has sucked terribly with the exception of us in the last 10 games.

CougarQuest
06-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Hey! Do some of you go to childrens birthday parties to run around and bust the ballons and scream "There is no Santa Claus"? ;)

cumberlandreds
06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Hate to throw cold water on the good but the Reds still have some tough games left. Three with White Sox and four on the road with the Mets. Also a home and home with the Indians. Things are great now but don't get overconfidant. Still got some tough rows to hoe.

Reds1
06-08-2006, 06:21 PM
It's June.

As Reds fans, we know what that usually means.

Usually May they begin to fall apart, and June they get buried.

Well....so far they are 6-0 in June. Last year, they won 9 games in June.

They're 11 games over .500 and in first place. They are tied for the best record in the National League. They've won 34 games....they won their 34th game last year on July 8th.

June Swoon? I think not

I thought we were talking about the stock market. I am an investment officer and I have heard that term so much in June. I forgot which website I was on! No swoon for the Reds, but maybe for the Cardinals or Houston.

RBA
06-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Our biggest threat is:

INJURIES

guttle11
06-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Our biggest threat is:

INJURIES

Yep. This team can compete when healthy, especially with Pujols out for a while. If they stay long term injury free, they have a good shot.

RFS62
06-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey! Do some of you go to childrens birthday parties to run around and bust the ballons and scream "There is no Santa Claus"? ;)

You say that like it's a bad thing.

:pimp:

Barbarossa
06-08-2006, 11:47 PM
When I see the words "June Swoon" I automatically think of the Chicago Cubs. What a great time to have them in for a four game series.:beerme:

harangatang
06-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Yep. This team can compete when healthy, especially with Pujols out for a while. If they stay long term injury free, they have a good shot.Even if they have a couple of injuries like now with Griffey and EdE, we have adequate players in Freel, Aurilia/Hatteberg, and even Denorfia if we get in a real bind. Now on the pitching side that's a different story.

TOBTTReds
06-09-2006, 02:06 AM
When I see the words "June Swoon" I automatically think of the Chicago Cubs. What a great time to have them in for a four game series.:beerme:

Yup, I've always associated that term with the Cubs. I honestly thought that term was created for the cubs, wasn't it?

KronoRed
06-09-2006, 02:11 AM
The cubs have been swooning since 1908 ;)

registerthis
06-09-2006, 10:28 AM
The key is getting Claussen going cause Milton and the Lizard will level off which could bankrupt the Reds if he doesn't pitch well.

I don't know about Lizard, but I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that Milton will fall off the cliff again. He's not going to keep pitching shutouts, but remember, his last 3 full seasons prior to joining Cincinnati, his ERA was 4.32, 4.84 and 4.75. Last year's 6.47 was an anomaly for him, and he's unlikely to match it this year, provided he's healthy. As has been noted, Milton's been BABIP lucky for his last few starts, so it's likely his ERA will rise as the BABIP numbe rlevels off. But I'd be very surprised if he approaches the sheer awfulness of '05. Unless his knee flares up again, my guess is he'll remain a serviceable pitcher for the remainder of the season, and finish with an ERA somewhere int he neighborhood of 4.60-4.80.

Barbarossa
06-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Yeah, the Cubbies have a monopoly on the term "June Swoon". I'm looking for the Reds, after this exciting month, to have the term June Zoom attached to them.:beerme:

TeamBoone
06-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Last night on the local news they were live at the ballpark interviewing a few of the fans. They asked one guy why he thought so many Cubs fans come to the GAB when ever the Reds play them. His answer cracked me up: "Apparently they just love to follow a loser".

max venable
06-09-2006, 03:35 PM
October scares me the most. Winning zero games in October always sucks.

KronoRed
06-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Last night on the local news they were live at the ballpark interviewing a few of the fans. They asked one guy why he thought so many Cubs fans come to the GAB when ever the Reds play them. His answer cracked me up: "Apparently they just love to follow a loser".
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've always thought that the cubs best thing going for attendance is being a loser, if they actually won people would stop paying attention

vaticanplum
06-09-2006, 04:07 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've always thought that the cubs best thing going for attendance is being a loser, if they actually won people would stop paying attention

We'll never know, because as long as they keep going to the park, Dusty retains his throne and the Cubs have no reason to win from an organizational standpoint.

Most of them sport their loserdom like a medal, as if they personally have witnessed 100 years of loserdom instead of 3-12 drunk years post-college. I agree, if the Cubs won, they might die.

Patrick Bateman
06-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Fear the Brewers.
Why??

ANy team may get hot ant any time, including the Brewers. But they are missing 2 of their best 3 starters, and we miss their best in our series. There's absolutely no reason to fear them. Respect them, yes. But fear no one.

KronoRed
06-09-2006, 05:59 PM
It was a joke, losing 2 of 3 to a bad brewer squad sank the 99 team ;)

GAC
06-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Fear nothing. Fear no team in the NL Central. Fear no team in the NL. Fear no team in MLB.

Understand - apple juice restricts the flow of dopamine to the brain. ;)

KittyDuran
06-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Understand - apple juice restricts the flow of dopamine to the brain. ;)All those fruit juices - including the lemon/lime in Sprite!;)

KronoRed
06-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Apple juice restricts the flow of dope?

I can do without it :devil: